The DJ's of today

Frontier Psychiatrist

well then that must be the difference between you and me, i don't like put myself in a box of a certain style, and play ONLY that style...i think a dj has skills if he is able to play all sorts of music, and still make it sound like his 'own' sound. not always keep on banging in the same style and refuse to step outside your box....i don't really understand dj's who absolutely want to play THEIR style, no matter what the crowds reaction is. it like 'I'm gonna tell you what good music is...'

again: no offence intended. i think it's just 2 different approaches on what kind of dj you want to be:)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play music I like if the crowd doesn't like it organisers should stop booking me ....

451982[/snapback]

i do agree to a certain extent here, you won't ever hear me playing a alternative control-ananda shake-style-set, i do always play music i like myself. but there's a difference between serving the crowd with music they want in your own style, wich i do, and just saying 'fuck the crowd i play my music and if you don't like it go home', wich you do (imho)

I agree with you - You cant generalize like that either way - Its neither better or worse, its up to the DJ thats what it is.

To put it more clearly - if a totally crappy DJ prepares a set and that set is compared to a "on the fly" set by a very skilled DJ Im very sure the skilled DJ would "win".

However, the skilled DJ would "win" because he is SKILLED and not because he chose the tracks on the fly.

Preparation and the use of ones preparation is one of the most important (and never talked about) skills for most DJs. Preparation is a part of a DJs experience, you basicly learn how best to prepare yourself with time.

If the guy before me played psy-tekk and I was to move into Full On from there I would go for some Triac -> Wizzy Noise -> Black & White -> Whatever (making a transition which fitted the flow) - but I would only do it if I thought it would work better for the party.

However, there is more to it that just lining up along the other DJs style & mood wise - as a DJ you also have a responsiblity for diversity and keeping the music "on topic" so to say in relation to the flyer.

If a DJ goes completely berserk in Full On at what is announced as being a progressive event I think its up to you to get things back on track.

All in all, I always like my sets to be able to stand on their own 2 feet regardless of what is played before at an event.

Also - Flow is not only about selecting tracks which fit together (thats just the first level of flow) - Its also about the ability to create contrast in your set and the party as a whole - and contrast is achieved by mixing moods and styles up :-)

I will usually start of my sets with a change in contrast - This way I am not that exposed to the previous DJs hot temper.

Changing contrast is about moving QUICKLY from black to white, its like when floating 2 meters over the ground moving forward only looking down, and then suddenly you move out over a cliff and stare into the abyss - You get a WOW feeling and its really something special.

It would be bad to be locked into sticking to a set like that if it does not work - but, noone is keeping you from switching to "on the fly" mode if the set would benefit from it.

However, like I said, I also think you have to weigh your options if its just a DJ before you who went berserk, following his flow might not be the right thing to do since you might just end up handing the problem down in the lineup to other DJs or Liveacts who might be more genre locked.

I once found myself in a situation where I was told the guy before me was playing 125BPM house for an hour, and actually he ended up playing for 2 hours, 1 hour house and 1 hour full on ending @ 146BPM !!! - Full On was NOT on the menu, and the DJ after me was DJ Holeg who plays Psy Electro/Techno with Trance influences.

So - I decided to STICK with my set and make a 180 degree turn and get things back on track, while I could very well have played a full on set (I even had a prepared one with me, but I decided not to do it - Simply because I fellt "ok, the other guy is a lousy DJ, no reason I should follow in his footsteps).

Best Wishes

Krell

451957[/snapback]

Lots of very interesting input, I agree mostly with you now. The idea of preparing a set, and play "on the fly" when it doesn't work is a good idea indeed...

I do it a little different, I listen to music all the week, and when there are perfect tracks for me, I simply build a set around them on stage :)

I have been playing on parties for 5 years now and played like 140 times; so you are probably right it's more because I have that wide experience it works better... I did it too in the beginning but that didn't work out too good in every set... :blink:

The reason why I never prepare sets is simply because I did it once 5 years ago, and altough I had the feeling my set was good it didn't go well, the public didn't react etc... and because I had no other tracks with me I was stuck... :s Since that moment I never did it again...

But I have to make another thing clear also... I don't think a dj has to play what the dj before him played, but I think you can addapt your first tracks to his style somehow... (for instance, I and Delars played after Talpa last weekend, his music was more full on as we expected... So we started with goa/old school songs that had a harder kick bassline, after that we continued our set with more normal old school tracks)

@Vortex: I agree you don't have to play what you don't want to play :) But if you play behind an old school dj for instance, and you have to play suomi I think it's better to start with some James Reipas or Huopatossu Mononen or something :)

i used to think that home mixes are the best too. But i've had several times when i would be playing the tracks i planned at home, and noticed that the time, mood, or something else wasn't right for the music i was playing. i was so happy i had brought some backup cds, and my set turned out a lot better when i started playing the music ppl obviously wanted to hear :)

so of you have the magic ability to know what atmosphere there will be at a party, yes then homemade sets are the best. if you don't (i don't) i think it's best to bring some backup so you can adapt yourself to the crowd :) in the end you're still playing music for the ppl in front of you, not for yourself..;

451928[/snapback]

You are so right.

Everything in what you write goes for me as well. Except for one little detail.

"in the end you're still playing music for the ppl in front of you, not for yourself..;"

I play music for myself first, and the people next... and, its not me being egocentric - Let me explain.

I see myself as part of the dancefloor - I will always select music using my emotions and intuition - No matter if its done @home or @location - the music being played is what I want to hear, what I feel like at the time. Preplanning a set you need to have imagination and fantasy enough to close your eyes and engage in creative daydreaming about the party situation (therefore you also needed to know when you will play, or else you should prepare for playing "on the fly" + the more info you get, the better you will be prepared regardless of how you prepare).

This is perhaps also where artistry touches DJing - I mean, artistry according to the following definition of "Creative Art".

One of the definitions of art you will find @wikipedia.org / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art

"The creative arts are a collection of disciplines whose principal purpose is in the output of material that is compelled by a personal drive and echoes or reflects a message, mood, and symbolism for the viewer to interpret. As such, the term art may be taken to include forms as diverse as prose writing, poetry, dance, acting, music, sculpture and painting. In addition to serving as a method of pure creativity and self-expression, the purpose of works of art may be to communicate ideas, such as in politically-, religiously-, and philosophically-motivated art, to create a sense of beauty (see aesthetics and fine art) or pleasure, or to generate strong emotions; the purpose may also be seemingly nonexistent."

Meaning - DJing can be a creative art where the purpose is to output a product which is the result of the artists(djs) personal drive which reflects the artists(dj) mood while perhaps even containing a message or symbolism from the artist(dj).

In the case of DJing, its an artform which takes existing art and molds it together into an overall image / message / experience much like many visual artists also do.

This set of mine http://www.mixupload.com/index.php?act=mli...ysong&s_id=3823

is a demo of my own artistry within Djing, it reflects my mood at the time, it contains messages in regards to the flow in relation to the title of the set + it also symbolizes events in human history (whether people can pick up on those things are of course dependant on that the listeners are recognizing it as art and trying to interpret it as well as my ability to make them see it - I think, in most cases, it is very hard to make things understandable - but, so it also is with visual abstract art) :-)

My point is - For my part, track selection is done for myself first, not the crowd - Because I consider myself an artist in what I do. So, in effect, I have to be true to myself. (but, I consider myself to be one of the dancers on the floor in my preparations or while spinning, this is how I integrate myself into the crowd, and this is how I play FOR the crowd).

I would not be interested in playing R&B, Rock or anything like that - Thats not who I am.... If people SCREAM for SCOOOOTER or PRODIIIIGYYY or SKAAAAZIII, Im not going to give it to them.

I think, most DJs will agree on this. At least when handed to them like this - You always operate within your own boundaries, and not the boundaries of the people on the dancefloor - If you forget yourself, you are no longer an artists showing others your own mood + talent, your at best a very skilled organic jukebox who plays whatever people want to hear. THIS is a principle, and you betray it once you play something "you kinda like" instead of what "you really want to hear"....

And of course, lets not forget that the artist(dj) is dependant on the artist(production), unless of course its one of those rare production artists spinning only own tracks (what many then call live acts, but some honestly call a dj set).

Best Wishes

Krell

Lots of very interesting input, I agree mostly with you now. The idea of preparing a set, and play "on the fly" when it doesn't work is a good idea indeed...

I do it a little different, I listen to music all the week, and when there are perfect tracks for me, I simply build a set around them on stage :)

I have been playing on parties for 5 years now and played like 140 times; so you are probably right it's more because I have that wide experience it works better... I did it too in the beginning but that didn't work out too good in every set... :blink:

The reason why I never prepare sets is simply because I did it once 5 years ago, and altough I had the feeling my set was good it didn't go well, the public didn't react etc... and because I had no other tracks with me I was stuck... :s Since that moment I never did it again...

But I have to make another thing clear also... I don't think a dj has to play what the dj before him played, but I think you can addapt your first tracks to his style somehow... (for instance, I and Delars played after Talpa last weekend, his music was more full on as we expected... So we started with goa/old school songs that had a harder kick bassline, after that we continued our set with more normal old school tracks)

452015[/snapback]

I think we agree yes.

What I react to very much is when people generalize and essentially put others down - I dont like it, and I saw it happening in this topic and I know it is a topic which is flammable in regards to DJing also. (So I provoked slightly).

Its different things when it comes to DJs - but - In essence what it comes down to is method vs music.

Liveacts Vs DJs - I honestly think that most of all this "live" stuff is mostly important when organizers can write it on flyers because its a BIG sales point.

You write GMS live and 800 people turn up at the party, you write DJ Bansi(Spun Records) and 150 show up... So, DJs create an 6-8 times worse experiences than production artists ? Doesnt make sense to me :-) (we must then of course remember to support and promote those artists who are REALLY amazing live, so they dont drown in the ocean of meaningless live stuff).

At the very least, I dont think artists(djs and producers) should fight amongst themselves over these things and just realize that they shouldnt get caught up in this to a degree where they put each other down and put limitations on each other...

Even when I myself have talked "badly" about lets say Goa Gil for not being a top notch mixer, I would still be talking good about his DJing philosophies and basicly playing a big role in creating a philosophy to Djing in which he went beyond the "organic jukebox" one.

All in all - I think its a real challenge to keep an open mind - Its not enough to say you are open minded, you have to be it as well. In order to do so, I try to focus on the end result of a performance (whatever it is), and not the methods by which it was achieved.

Judgement must come from "the right music at the right time" and "seamless & perfect mixing hopefully adding to the experience" - Those things can only be experienced then and there, and depend on skills to present music (skills which vary from DJ to DJ, good skills in one area can balance bad skills out - All round good skills is what any DJ or Production artist should aim for - this excludes narrowmindedness).

Best Wishes

Krell

well then that must be the difference between you and me, i don't like put myself in a box of a certain style, and play ONLY that style...i think a dj has skills if he is able to play all sorts of music, and still make it sound like his 'own' sound. not always keep on banging in the same style and refuse to step outside your box....i don't really understand dj's who absolutely want to play THEIR style, no matter what the crowds reaction is. it like 'I'm gonna tell you what good music is...'

again: no offence intended. i think it's just 2 different approaches on what kind of dj you want to be:)

451996[/snapback]

One of the reason why I stick to only 2-3 styles (not one like you said) is simple : I still have a lot of fullon cd's and can very easy spin a set with them but I am sure that there are many dj's out there who are far better than me ... So I've chosen 2-3 styles wich I'm good at => always quality above quantity. I prefer to be good at 1 thing that to be mediocore at 2 things...

but there's a difference between serving the crowd with music they want in your own style, wich i do, and just saying 'fuck the crowd i play my music and if you don't like it go home', wich you do (imho)

452000[/snapback]

any examples of me saying fuck you to the crowd you have only heard me play 2-3 times? Througout whole this discussion I get the intention that you think to know what the crowd wants (that must be your magical abillity)... I gave up this idea a few years ago that's why I play music I like for myself and try to find an audiance with the same taste not the otherway around. I think I have suceeded in this since I mainly get booked on parties where they specifically ask to play the stuff I normally play so no need to say fuck you to the crowd....By the way if I get booked on a full on party I still would play the same stuff I usually do but slow it down a bit but if they ask me to play full on I'll say no.

I've played sets (maybe 2) for the crowd (when I still played south african fullon) and afterwards people came complaining (like they always do) and I was like shit man you are right and I felt bad about it... Now I play music I like and when they complain I have something like hé good for you I liked it very much so maybe I'm not your kind of dj... You simply cannot please everyone....

still, the DJ has to react to stimuli.. that's the art and the magic of it. that's why it's a DJ and not a jukebox. psytrance isn't really techno where it's all about mixing (done very much live, afaik), here most people won't notice if you fade every track, it's the music that counts, the energy and direction of the tracks. and IMHO, 'live' DJing has a much higher vibrational potential than anything prepped. B)

still, the DJ has to react to stimuli.. that's the art and the magic of it. that's why it's a DJ and not a jukebox. psytrance isn't really techno where it's all about mixing (done very much live, afaik), here most people won't notice if you fade every track, it's the music that counts, the energy and direction of the tracks. and IMHO, 'live' DJing has a much higher vibrational potential than anything prepped.  B)

452203[/snapback]

Perhaps for you, but not for everybody.

Stimuli is subjective to the person being stimulated.

Plenty of techno DJs also just beat match their tracks, but just play 2-3 minuttes of each track. The music is so monotomous (if its minimal techno) that the only way to get the music to be interesting is by interesting mixing techniques (thats how I see it anyways).

So, if I tell you - I can feel the vibe of a party before Im even there, would you believe me ? I think not, since you dont know how I think.

You can either react to the vibe or set the vibe yourself - I set the vibe, and let others react to it. My way :-)

Its like war, when you hold the initiative you can dictate the rules of the battle - as a DJ, you hold the initiative. However, following a plan blindly can of course land you in defeat - so the able commander can adapt his battleplan as it unfolds.

You might be wondering why you never land an argument which is 100% compelling against preparing sets (since there is always another perspective on it when I respond), and why I dont try to make an argument which is 100% against playing on the fly either - The reason to that is that both methods have their strengths and weaknesses, and the best DJ will exploit both methods to their fullest potential for optimum effect.

*salutes*

Best Wishes

Krell

... here most people won't notice if you fade every track, it's the music that counts, the energy and direction of the tracks.

452203[/snapback]

And that pisses me off. When you go to a musical venue, you should be at least a bit interested in the music, and not just let dj winamp do his thing. It's dance music, it's supposed to be mixed in order to have a steady beat going all night long.

Plenty of techno DJs also just beat match their tracks, but just play 2-3 minuttes of each track. The music is so monotomous (if its minimal techno) that the only way to get the music to be interesting is by interesting mixing techniques (thats how I see it anyways).

actually, that's not true - techno tracks are minimal on purpose- they are DJ tools, not meant to be played, but played with. if you ever watch a real Techno dj, there's never a track playing by itself - always something is being mixed in on the 2nd or 3d deck.

I am fully aware of what you're saying, I used to prep sets in their entirety myself until I changed my mind about what DJing was about. but as far as I am concerned, DJing isn't a battlefield, it's not about dictating the flow, just as magic isn't about forcing your own will on the environment. To me it's about give and take, taking in the energy and responding to it, not forcing your music on people. In the past, I've come in to a party (in a different state, different part of North America altogether where people are used to different styles of psy) and had to completely switch my set from dark banging psy I was going to play to tweaky morning full-on and progressive.. and vice versa.

anyway, we obviously aren't getting any further with this, so might as well just leave it be.. :)

And that pisses me off. When you go to a musical venue, you should be at least a bit interested in the music, and not just let dj winamp do his thing. It's dance music, it's supposed to be mixed in order to have a steady beat going all night long.

452274[/snapback]

i agree, i always beatmatch myself - just saying that mixing at length isn't quite as important for psytrance as it is for techno. also there are quite a few unmixable tracks, especially in the more twisted styles of psy.. go try to mix Zik with Polyphonia for 2 minutes, tell me if it works out. B)

actually, that's not true - techno tracks are minimal on purpose- they are DJ tools, not meant to be played, but played with. if you ever watch a real Techno dj, there's never a track playing by itself - always something is being mixed in on the 2nd or 3d deck.

452281[/snapback]

Yes, like I said, interesting mixing technique. During the beginning of my "career" or whatever you want to call it, I was far closer to techno & house DJs than I was to any psy DJs - So, I do know what its about for them (more or less).

but as far as I am concerned, DJing isn't a battlefield, it's not about dictating the flow, just as magic isn't about forcing your own will on the environment.

452281[/snapback]

It was an example. I relate to things alot through planning, Im a very introspective person (meaning I plan and prepare, best on my own) - So, while some people like conversation and solving issues as they come up, I like to prepare and anticipate them in a proactive manner. This is my personality, where my strength is, and this is why it dominates my Djing style (why it works best for me).

To me it's about give and take, taking in the energy and responding to it, not forcing your music on people.

I wouldnt go as far as saying that I force music on people, not more than you do really - Now you just make me sound like a tyrant lol :-) *polishes his demonic attributes*

In the past, I've come in to a party (in a different state, different part of North America altogether where people are used to different styles of psy) and had to completely switch my set from dark banging psy I was going to play to tweaky morning full-on and progressive.. and vice versa.

Good that was not a problem for you, I could do the same.

Like you wrote earlier, you play at a lot of places where you dont know what you will encounter, so preplanning a set using the same methods as I do just doesnt make sense, and if you were to do it and follow the plan your end product would be inferior as compared to if you just went with the feel you had for the people and the event.

anyway, we obviously aren't getting any further with this, so might as well just leave it be.. :)

Your right - We are moving in circles now - But, Id like you to know that I fully understand your point of view, and I do not in any way disagree with your approach being the superior one in your case - What I wanted you to realize is that for other Djs, other ways are better --- that ---- is ----- all :-)

I hope I can book you sometime - Then we can have this whole conversation again - And I will of course put myself right next to you on the lineup just for the sake of the competition ;-)

Thanks for the debate Mr Dmtree :-)

Krell

i agree, i always beatmatch myself - just saying that mixing at length isn't quite as important for psytrance as it is for techno.  also there are quite a few unmixable tracks, especially in the more twisted styles of psy.. go try to mix Zik with Polyphonia for 2 minutes, tell me if it works out.  B)

452287[/snapback]

I agree, some tracks might be a bit tricky, but still ... Both Zik and Polyphonia make rather non-melodic psytrance around 150 bpm, so it's not really a problem beatmatching it. But Polyphonia seems to like snare-kick-snare-kick, instead of the usual kick-snare-kick-snare routine. That's kinda confusing at times.

You are right though, mixing at lenght is not as important for psy as for other genres. I understand with melodic psytrance, in most of the cases it sounds rather shitty when you mix two melodies that are out of key due to pitch change, but when it comes to the dark stuff it's a different story, layering two tracks from that genre for 2-3 minutes is not that messy at all.

The reason why most psy people think that fade mixing is ok is perhaps due to Goa Gill? He is the first psy/goa dj a lot of people heard about, so he might have set the standard there. As when it comes to other genres, people heard djs beatmixing and often adding effects or a third deck. Just a thought ...

The reason why most psy people think that fade mixing is ok is perhaps due to Goa Gill? He is the first psy/goa dj a lot of people heard about, so he might have set the standard there. As when it comes to other genres, people heard djs beatmixing and often adding effects or a third deck. Just a thought ...

452339[/snapback]

I think its more about early Psy DJs being shitty mixers and once new psy DJs with better mixing skills appear they try to market themselves by their mixing skills - the natural step for the old timers is to respond "Mixing Is not Important, flow is" - While insinuating the new good mixers can mix but cant create flow - basicly under mining their sales point.

Dont think DJs are generally above that kind of behavior - We are all just human beings :-)

People look up to the old timers and to many what they say is LAW and it is therefore something they carry on with them out in the world. In essence saying that good mixing doesnt matter, or even that it is somehow counter productive. (In essence saying that DJs who mix well are not worthy DJs and should be avoided since they are not the real thing lol).

The only argument I respect is "I want to hear all of the track" because it makes sense, some intros and outros are simply a shame to waste, which is why I dont always beatmatch tracks.

The trance insitute however states, that in order to achieve a deep trance you need to be inside the same tempo for at least 20 minuttes - So, switching BPMs all the time will in theory deny the listeners deep trance states (which is a fact if we believe what we read there).

One last thing - Goa Gil does not fade mix, and neither do many of the old time DJs - They just train wreck everything - Actually Goa Gil isnt THAT bad, he makes less shitty transititions than many other DAT DJs I heard, dunno exactly how he does it, but it wasnt simple fade mixing I heard a few years back - perhaps it was 2 tracks running at almost the same BPM and once they cross each other and align briefly he EQs the next track in (sounded like that to me, very quick mixes).

Best Wishes

Krell

I agree, some tracks might be a bit tricky, but still ... Both Zik and Polyphonia make rather non-melodic psytrance around 150 bpm, so it's not really a problem beatmatching it. But Polyphonia seems to like snare-kick-snare-kick, instead of the usual kick-snare-kick-snare routine. That's kinda confusing at times.

452339[/snapback]

My point wasn't that these artists are impossible to mix, but that it's not condusive to the flow. Some of these newer futuristic psy artists like Polyphonia and (especially) Zik, as well as some others (Fractal Cowboys, Dejan, OSOM etc), create very much 'complete' journey tracks with elaborate intros and outros, tracks that weren't really created with the DJ in mind. These tracks often go up and down in BPMs and have varied phrasing to go with a million sounds flying in and out at any given moment. Think Hallucinogen's Lone Deranger or Gamma Goblins - mixing in other tracks on top of these is counter-productive to the main task, which is to maintain a proper flow of the music. So with this kind of music I much prefer intelligent fade mixes.

for a bit more minimal 'dancefloor-oriented' tracks which is most of full-on and dark psy, and of course, progressive, fade-mixing is not enough, the momentum is simply lost if the track is allowed to wind down in the last 1-2 minutes without another track picking it up. Even Derango is mixable, in my opinion. But, say Vicious Spiral tracks should be played in their entirety, imo.

Disclaimer : I did not read the last 2 pages of the thread.

Imo the problem with goa\psy and dj`s is that because of the dat roots, there is no dj culture in goa\psy like there is in i.e hip-hop, house, techno & dnb for example.

People are used to crossfading "jukeboxes"

still, the DJ has to react to stimuli.. that's the art and the magic of it. that's why it's a DJ and not a jukebox. psytrance isn't really techno where it's all about mixing (done very much live, afaik), here most people won't notice if you fade every track, it's the music that counts, the energy and direction of the tracks. and IMHO, 'live' DJing has a much higher vibrational potential than anything prepped.  B)

452203[/snapback]

amen! as you could read in a previous thread, i just started dj-ing and really only do ambient/chilled out stuff. which is kinda hard to mix, since the bpms differ so much. but i've NEVER (all 4 times i played! ;)) prepared anything. i just write down what songs are my favorites and then when the moment comes to choose another song i just franctically flip back and forth in my cdmap to pick one... thats whats been working best for me.

if the crowd seems to go too much with the flow... then i'll just put on something surprising, hehehe, just to fuck with em a little bit. you can't tell me you can do that with a pre-fabricated set. its just not possible.

i think that quote was taken slightly out of context.. i don't advocate fade-mixing, just saying that fader tricks aren't quite as useful with psytrance as with other genres. i personally think most dance music should be beat-matched, see comments above. with ambient and chill, you can get rather creative with the mixes, no need to beatmatch when there's no beat, hehe.

you can't tell me you can do that with a pre-fabricated set. its just not possible.

487697[/snapback]

If you are good enough at it, you can.

Depends on what kind of person you are really.

This is my personality profile....

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntij.html

Read it, and perhaps you will understand that for some people - Planning ahead is the way to go, because they are alot better at it than say, other people.

You say that you note the tracks that you like right ? So, that is part of your preplanning, and its a method I use AS A CONTINGENCY PLAN to plan No 1, which is a pre set track list I follow (unless I know, by using my more than 10 years of djing exerience, that there is a more effective path to choose in the musical flow).

This however wont work out for everyone, depends on who you are, how you do things most efficiently.

Definition is Limitation - And limiting yourself to DJing one way or the other will just not enable you to reach your fullest potential.

My main source of stimuli, as a DJ, is my experience and my mind + knowledge of creating dj sets. Pure and simple - I dont need to be at the party to know what music will work best, unless I dont know what kind of party Im being booked for (in which case I wont accept the booking anyways).

Best Wishes

Krell

If you are good enough at it, you can.

Depends on what kind of person you are really.

This is my personality profile....

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntij.html

Read it, and perhaps you will understand that for some people - Planning ahead is the way to go, because they are alot better at it than say, other people.

487993[/snapback]

I'm a combo architect/inventor

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntip.html

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntep.html

i think it makes more sense with my approach..

I'm a combo architect/inventor

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntip.html

http://keirsey.com/personality/ntep.html

i think it makes more sense with my approach..

488011[/snapback]

I thought you was :-)

Im a bit architect INTP as well, there are some traits which I hold, and others I dont.

Mostly INTJ though :-)

Actually, our little debate here got me interested in this - What kind of influense ones personality has on ones DJing methods/approaches/convictions/philosophies.

In regards to DJing INTP would perhaps not be interested in getting caught up in following the same system too much since he would get bored with it (when you DJ on the fly, you adapt yourself to a new system everytime, location and crowd).

I think, the ETNJ will generally have the best personality for "on the fly" Djing though(on paper).

While the INTJ wants to do whatever works best at a given time, so, try to stay open and choose the best solution for whatever situation. Efficiency is what matters there.

Fits me very well :-)

Theres a lot up to the interpretation of the code as well. Try checking this out.

http://www.typelogic.com/intj.html me

http://www.typelogic.com/intp.html you

Both INTP and INTJ are like 1% of the population each, ENTJ is around 2% - I think many Djs will be NT something (rationals).

Best Wishes

Krell