The DJ's of today

Frontier Psychiatrist

So i downloaded this 13 Minutes from a party in Germany. Some guy dj's here wihout headphones and without changing a CD (perhaps i missed it, perhaps a swedish gnome replaced it for him).

My question is, what for somebody puts this online? All you see in the video is some guys smoking cigarettes and waving hands to the music, and "plays" with the CDJ effects. What's the meaning of all this? Who's the retard that puts it online? What purpose does it serve. And who killed JFK? Who pays a guy that smoked cigarettes and played with the CDJ effects?

http://www.psybuy.net/PsyVideos/InterSys_3...-Records_II.wmv

Sorry ahead for your wasted time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, what a waste of time. ;)

If I gather what's going on correctly, then this is a video of the artist Intersys giving a live PA at this party. If you look at the very beginning of the video, you can really briefly see him do something at a laptop (pressing PLAY ;) ). When the song changes, he runs back over into the direction of the laptop. Other than that, he's just messing with the EQs on the mixer (not the CDJ effects).

In other words...

LAME!!!

Usually when you see these guys doing a "laptop live PA", they are at least standing in front of the laptop pretending to do something. This dork is just cuing up tracks and twiddling the EQs on the mixer. You can even see some synths in front of the laptop that are probably not even plugged in.

i hate it when in a club a half naked sweaty and smelly guy comes and dances near you,or bumps on you....

why are there no wet half naked girls bumping on me??? :(

450352[/snapback]

GOD DAMN YES!

Finally somebody says it!

Word up to this!

This action supports my belief that live DJs are ultimately unecessary for parties, clubs, etc. if one wants to strap down on money and "throne-space". A simple pre-mixed CD running mp3s can last hours, all it requiring paying someone to make some mix in a virtual DJ program and send it to an event manager to set-up. I am in no way saying DJs are worthless- a live DJ interacting with the audience can be worth it at times, but ultimately, in order to have a party you don't need one.

But the DJ problem isn't that bad in the psy-scene anyway; most attention rightfully goes towards producers and musicians. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is not as though we have DJs demanding six-figure U.S. dollar salaries like in the euro-pop trance scene, most just do it for fun and a hobby to support the scene.

This action supports my belief that live DJs are ultimately unecessary for parties, clubs, etc. if one wants to strap down on money and "throne-space". A simple pre-mixed CD running mp3s can last hours, all it requiring paying someone to make some mix in a virtual DJ program and send it to an event manager to set-up. I am in no way saying DJs are worthless- a live DJ interacting with the audience can be worth it at times, but ultimately, in order to have a party you don't need one.

But the DJ problem isn't that bad in the psy-scene anyway; most attention rightfully goes towards producers and musicians. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is not as though we have DJs demanding six-figure U.S. dollar salaries like in the euro-pop trance scene, most just do it for fun and a hobby to support the scene.

450534[/snapback]

I agree with most you write - The only reason I can think of to have a DJ at an event is that he can adapt the music should he see it nescessary - in a prerecorded mix that cannot be done.

Ive usually got my mixes prepared and laid out already, and its very rare that I feel the need or urge to deviate from them. Often if I have to, it is because of a changing schedule where someone didnt show up, or a fucked up organizer who cannot control a lineups timeslots.

The same goes for live music - Music is by no means better live, its all down to showmanship and marketing and not higher musical quality.

Try marketing an event with the lines "prerecorded sets by DJ This & DJ That + Hallucinogen" - I dont think anyone will be interested in that.

Would make sense though, that way artists could license their sets to parties and play more than one place in the world at a time and spend more of their spare time creating and developing music instead of being on tour :-)

When its all said and done - I do prefer the "live djing" to a recorded one - Its more exciting and it is really only down to the showmanship...

But, for a small private event, I prefer it prerecorded so everybody can take part in the party from the listeners standpoint, discuss the music and flow...

And no - All DJs dont have to read the floor on the fly and react to it then and there - there are some out there who can prepare stuff in detail which works just as well or even better in real life. (So, in essence, they might as well have recorded it - but it would require that all the sets at the party were prerecorded, so that you dont get the wrong music at the wrong time due to an artist not showing up).

The deciding factor here is that it would be impossible to market and to get people to go - They would say "hey, this is a complete ripoff" - But, in fact - Its just music, and it would sound the same (probably better) than if someone was doing Live DJing or a LIVE PA.

Kill the DJ right ? ;-)

Best Wishes

Krell

Guest The Journey Man Project

hehe well I used to dj in the ambient rooms back in Australia for free... or for the cost of entrance to the gig... if I was producing the music Iask for a fee but if I'm just playing someone elses tunes, then I'm happy to do i for a free ticket, nothing more... had agreat time about 6 years back when I was asked to be the only dj in the ambient/experimental room for 2 days... best time of my life..

But, in fact - Its just music, and it would sound the same (probably better) than if someone was doing Live DJing or a LIVE PA.

450598[/snapback]

a good LIVE on-the-fly set - DJ or PA is always better than anything pre-made in the bedroom. it's unfortunate that there are so few people who can do it properly.

a good LIVE on-the-fly set - DJ or PA is always better than anything pre-made in the bedroom. it's unfortunate that there are so few people who can do it properly.

450747[/snapback]

the idea behind a pre made set is to make a set wich cannot be played on the fly ....

450747[/snapback]

No - Its just music and the music, when its electronic, doesnt change by it being performed live or not live.

As a matter of fact, once the music leaves the production stage its PERFECT and live performances can at best only fuck up this perfection by mediocre human timing by adding live stuff which is affected by human errors.

What is live stuff any way ? It is in any case rehearsed @ home beforehand and just reproduced at the event. Or, if it is really improvised, Im sure it could have been both improvised and perfected beforehand - Meaning, at the time it reaches the party, it would also be perfect.

Live is about showmanship and idol worshipping / For me, the only reason it sells is that I might get to hear new tracks by an artist I like and in the sequence which the creator finds most effective. This I can experience from a "dead" playback source just as well as from the artists being there in person himself.

I care about the music, and only the music - and the music is JUST what is coming out of the speakers not what happens in a dj or live booth.

Best Wishes

Krell