2.Frozen Ghost-Redevil

3.Zion Linguist-You’re The Monster

4.The Linguist vs The Cell-Prince Of Darkness

5.Frozen Ghost-Half Breed

6.Excell-Public Chaos

7.Zion Linguist-Sinistrer Funk

8.Hydraglyph-Corrupt Audio

9.Lost N Found vs Xatrik-Elastik Ice

This is the first release by MMD records (short for Mind Manipulation Device) compiled by a new SA artist called Zion Linguist.

First track is called Leopard Crawl and it’s made by two of the most famous SA producers Xatrik and Slug. Xatrik is known for his psychotic, dark and insane psychedelia while Slug for his more mellow melodic lines combined with phat snares and powerful basslines. They have released one more track together called Sic Science (Cipher comp.), but Leopard Crawl is really different. Instead of scratchy, more techno sound like Sic Science, Leopard Crawl is more trancey, but still has some techno elements. It starts a bit simple with a nice bass and many pads and after the first two minutes a screaming melody hits the floor. The next minutes are filled with weirdo fx, more pads and some groovy sounds and ends with the melodic line again. Overall it’s a really good track, not something extraordinary or groundbreaking, but a nice twilight tune. A sweet track!

Next comes Frozen Ghost aka Barry Wyrne. I think he made his debut in the Wild Spirits-Strong Medicine compilation and you can find more tracks by him in the new Afrogalactic comp. Decadance. Frozen Ghost’s sound is much more techno than the well known Timecode style and it sounds more like Damage or Broken Toy. Of course his style is unique. Why? Well, he makes very groovy, happy tracks but super powerful at the same time! Redevil is the perfect example. The bassline is very powerful but funky at the same time. The percussion is amazing and the track builds for good. Many fx throwned to your face together with nice simple melodic lines. The last minutes are really intense with the well known build up over build up SA technique. Combine the screaming sounds together with many interesting effects and this super bass and you have a winner! One track that makes you smile but blasts the dancefloor with its power as well. Awesome tune!

Next is Zion Linguist himself. A new but talented artist. Again more Damage style.Dark bass, many rusty sounds panning left and right and Jim Carrey’s ‘hello, hello’ sample. The tracks builds a bit simple for the first minutes but in the middle of it we get some fx madness just too keep us interested and for the rest of the track we have all that together for a nice ending. Nothing spectacular IMO and kinda simple but nice dark furious SA techno.

The Linguist and The Cell is a collaboration between Zion Linguist and Excell. The track is even more dark than the ‘You’re The Monster’ with a very fast bass and some simple melodic lines 100% SA styla with many Damage style fx together with dark pads.After the minute 4:00 the track explodes and becomes really powerful. Fx madness and another simple line for the last minutes and we have a very good track, dark and powerful.

Frozen Ghost again. The opening sample with some Formula sounds and a nice bassline together with a phat kick after that. Some groovy sounds again and rusty Damage style sounds. After the middle part we have some 16 notes simple lines and dark pads and we close with more techno power. Nice track, not that great as Redevil but still good.

New name Excell (great artist name). I guess he’s SA too. Raw techno all the way, not melodies, but many distorted sounds for the first half. For the next half a screaming melodic line blasts the track while the fx paranoia keeps going. A track that make you dance like crazy!

Zion Linguist again. More complicated track than ‘You’re The Monster’. Many simplistic lines and again some SA effects. Around minute 3:00 we get a screaming line just like in the Excell track and more dusty sounds. For the end Zion gives us a surprise with a very interesting complete melody, just to make the track even better. Very good!

Track 8 by Hydraglyph, a SA group with many great tracks and some average ones and a fresh debut album. ‘Matter is evolving’ is the opening sample and when the bassline hits you, you know that this track is more SA hard full on than techno. Perfect production, great effects and cool melodies, so far the most melodic track here. Just before the end we get a nice climax and for the end a very, very nice melody over dark pads. A great track, one of the best I’ve heard from them.

Last track by Lost N Found and Xatrik. Again more trancey style than techno with many Xatrik noisy effects and some more morning melodies. Not a dark track nor something extra melodic or crazy but a nice tune with a nice groovy feeling without being cheesy at all! Nice one!

Overall, it’s a nice debut compilation from MMD records. Although I prefer the more melodic SA style more, I have to recommend it. Especially if you are a Damage fan, you can’t miss this one! 8/10

Fav:1,2(!),6,7,8

+plus nice cover

cool that finally somebody wrote a review about this amazing release. for me one of the best compilations in the last few month. especially frozen ghost is a great finding for me, phantastic stuff from this artist.

although "redevil" is a great tune "half breed" is way better imo. exactly the style i like so much from south african artists: dark and deep kicks/rolling basslines with an industrial approach in melodies, so perfectly cooked and balanced. yummy! i want more of this!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

• 9 years later...

The debut from MMD Records, how tasty! It's not uncommon for releases that are close to a decade old to lose their luster, but this one has hung on to its allure. While not as polished as stuff from that other South African label, it still has some groove and swagger. Thanks in large part to the booty shaking ability of one Frozen Ghost. The kick and bass hit hard and the tracks unfold in danceable waves. The artists ain't trying to tell a story here, no they want to shake a dance floor. Loud and growling this compilation continues to wreak havoc.