Which is the best evolution of goa trance?

Guest Cosmogenesis

Guest Cosmogenesis

The golden age of goatrance (maybe between 1995 and 1997) belongs now to the past. In 1997, goatrance has made a complex evolution separated in different ways. With the "Radio" album, X-Dream discovers the progressive and dark possibilities of the trance music. In the meantime or lately, some Hommega releases, called "full-on", created an other genre, more focused on the dancefloor.

But IMO, goatrance has made another evolution with labels like Novatekk/Velvet Inc. and groups like Dimension 5 and Chi-a.d. who have kept the true meaning of goatrance and have given another "dimensions" of the genre, using some new materials, effects, scientific atmospheres, creating as a result a new form of the melody which was already present in the oldschool days. Now, essentially Suntrip records and tranceform records follow this way and are actually considering as the last survivors of the goatrance past generation.

So, I want to ask to all of you at this forum: Which evolution of goa trance do you think is the better? And why? Which are your arguments?

Guest The Journey Man Project

for sure techtrance is one of the best, although the new electro move takes away the really nice industrial style trancey feeling... progressive was great early on but everything is so same old same now, the quality is great but the genre is somewhat stagnent... full on has it's moments still but rarely, and sounds quite the cheesey... neogoa is good but lacks the depth of emotion found in the earlier stuff... It hink the main thing is that as the scene has become more global, it has lost it's spirituality, and the music is for sure reflecting this...

The best evolution of goatrance (imho) is the diversity of genres! You find stuff from techtrance to full-on to new-school to dark to minimal or even pop-psy. This is what I like about this style so much, so many possibilties...

I think the best of todays evolution in the goa/psychedelic scene are:

the forest sounds of Sweden (both melodic as dark...)

the Finnish experimental style

some non cliché dark trance

the new school movement (the few artists still making goa trance)

why? because they still keep the music weird, mind-expanding, and... PSYCHEDELIC, unpredictable and trancy! (my opinion of course)

i wouldnt call newschool goa trance producers that make the same music that was done in mid 90s music unpredictable <_<

441091[/snapback]

Exactly ... that's why I think that goa trance is something that belongs in the past, it has been done.

i wouldnt call newschool goa trance producers that make the same music that was done in mid 90s music unpredictable <_<

441091[/snapback]

with that idea all Jazz, Rock and other music which has been made for decades should stop right here and now...

Total disagreement. There is still more to be explored leading out of the old school Goa sound. Torakka for example? :lol:

441107[/snapback]

yes there is alot to discover but not by replicating others ffs :rolleyes:

it was ok IMO to learn from other artist back then when scene was young and with fresh ideas, then you could learn something and create new by that, but today you cant wait for people to say "hurray, its groundbreaking" when you actually copy others because oldschool sound developed pretty far and that why this "ill add little bit of transwave and little bit of TIP" isnt working, lack of personality and uniqueness IMO.

[im not talking about torakkas far out express tho, must listen to it but there was something interesting about it ;)]

with that idea all Jazz, Rock and other music which has been made for decades should stop right here and now...

441112[/snapback]

no, theres a difference, jazz, rock exist for much longer than goa trance [and any other em genre] and they evolve much slover than electronica, there isnt that big variety of sounds possible as in electronica, is there? IMO there isnt, im not an expert but thats just obvious that you can create much more sound with synth that with guitarr or saxophone <_< . afterall - electronic scene is PROGRESSIVE indeed and not limited that much while all "classic" genres to some extenct stop to develop its sound or it takes much more time to accept new things and morph with something new ;).

IMO

minimal, dark, housy prog, "new school" (in my opinion this genre is bullshit; it's just goa, and goa has been produced ever since it "died", just to a lesser extent, so i prefer to call it goa, since that's what it is. khetzal, for example, has added new things and makes music in his/her/their own style, just like the best goa artists in the past).

All of them! Almost every new style has Goa elements, although non of them is really a new Goa style.

Dark Psy has the madness of Goa.

Full On the energy of Goa.

Progressive the mellow feeling of many Goa tracks.

Experimental the non cliche madness of the weirdo Goa artists.

Minimal though has nothing to do with Goa. Goa was always maximal in a way or another.

The crossovers between goa and psy given theres no new goa anymore. There were hardly any crossovers in the 90s. As a friend of mine puts it: when goa was goa and psy was psy. Nowadays what most resembles goa is the crossovers which are less psy. Old goa artists hardly make any crossovers, they make psy because thats populair or they do mid-tempo, ambient and ethnic projects (e.g. Elysium, Sphphphhphongle). Its new artists like Filteria and Lost Buddha and new labels like Suntrip and Tranceform who do the work. Some people call that music goa; i call it goapsy or psygoa. Compare classic goa tracks to this new crossover style and you know what i mean (i hope so!).

All of them! Almost every new style has Goa elements, although non of them is really a new Goa style.

Dark Psy has the madness of Goa.

Full On the energy of Goa.

Progressive the mellow feeling of many Goa tracks.

Experimental the non cliche madness of the weirdo Goa artists.

Minimal though has nothing to do with Goa. Goa was always maximal in a way or another.

441363[/snapback]

Totally agree with Ormion here. There was a time, especially between about 1999 and 2002 where our scene was depressingly devoid of the richness that preceded it, with only a few projects coming out that were of much value. It was a state of flux, and was in many ways responsible for what we have today, so we had to go through it, but it wasn't fun. These days, however, the scene has broadened to an extent that there are interesting things happening in all its subgenres. We have lots of options, and those options, I hope, will keep creating more options.

yes there is alot to discover but not by replicating others ffs :rolleyes:

it was ok IMO to learn from other artist back then when scene was young and with fresh ideas, then you could learn something and create new by that, but today you cant wait for people to say "hurray, its groundbreaking" when you actually copy others because oldschool sound developed pretty far and that why this "ill add little bit of transwave and little bit of TIP" isnt working, lack of personality and uniqueness IMO.

441166[/snapback]

I think we're ideologically at right-angles here... post-millenial Goa releases are primarily imitative and don't push the concept forward, I would agree. It doesn't mean the music isn't welcome though. Not in my case at least. I think you're taking issue with people saying "it's groundbreaking" but is that really such a big deal? I'm all for the revivalist movement... and if people want to pay tribute to the oldies by making similar sounds with modern production then by all means, go ahead.

As far as 'advancing the movement' that's another story. It's why I keep bringing Torakka up :D most efforts to 'evolve' Goa end up losing the spirit of the classics. Far Out Express takes off in a different direction without mucking that up at least. Most of the others don't manage it... I don't even think it's a case of too much innovation - simply that a lot of artists pick a direction which isn't conducive to carrying on the spirit... usually that direction is biased towards dancefloor-applicability. I think there's a lot more to be done with a more 'musical' approach for lack of a better term...

The crossovers between goa and psy given theres no new goa anymore. There were hardly any crossovers in the 90s. As a friend of mine puts it: when goa was goa and psy was psy. Nowadays what most resembles goa is the crossovers which are less psy. Old goa artists hardly make any crossovers, they make psy because thats populair or they do mid-tempo, ambient and ethnic projects (e.g. Elysium, Sphphphhphongle). Its new artists like Filteria and Lost Buddha and new labels like Suntrip and Tranceform who do the work. Some people call that music goa; i call it goapsy or psygoa. Compare classic goa tracks to this new crossover style and you know what i mean (i hope so!).

441571[/snapback]

those definitions are a bit ... undefined.

for example the music you are reffering to as "goa" i used to call it goa , or psychedelic goa.. goa and psygoa is the same for me

but genres suck and we all know it

:D

i think,

a new sub genre called new school is not useful in terms of identifying music, it is useful in a historical manner. so it shouldn't be in genre catalogs. i am against catalogs, but thats another topic.

however, the work done with suntrip records is much appreciated, thanks Anoebis (and other fellows) for that one.

in my thinking, minimal is the most evolutionary way to go, since it bears a contrast and in fact is at the same place with oldschool goa, just gone from a different direction.