DJ Headphones

i had forgotten how freakin cold can it get in some parts of the world :blink:

i used sony's MDR-V300's for quite some time and the sound (looking back at it now) is nothing great, but they have a good price and thick cable extending for like a two feet. the cans also cover your ears wich is personally a plus for cold weather ... Notice however the MD25's bring a steel cable and not copper so i'm guessing that could endure the weather as well... and if they brake you can always replace a piece... depends on the budget.

Sorry, OD, but Sonys are no good. Believe me, I owned several pairs for several years. Sennheisers are far better, especially for musicians who want a pure sound, rather than the inflated, fake sound of Sony.

I've owned the Senn HD590s, which had great sound but were a little fragile, and more for home listening, and currently own and love the HD280pro model, which has excellent sound, a solid build, and is a perfect monitor headphone for less than US$100. If you do your research at audiophile sites, you'll see that it is top-rated for the money. Not a surprise to me.

438340[/snapback]

anyone have anything to say of the 280's?

also any experience with iem's? not a huge fan of anything that goes inside the ear, eprsonally, but i am open to change, if it's worth it.

443728[/snapback]

See what I wrote above regarding the 280s.

Yeah, they're a little clunky, I agree, and definitely not the most handsome phones, but I'm more interested in their sound.

447255[/snapback]

well, i tend to sit there doing my thang for hours, with headphones on. The Sony's i used to have would start to hurt after about 2 hours or so, as would any strictly DJ headphones. How comfortable are the 280s for extended wear?

I personally think they're extremely comfortable with extended wear. The weight for me is not so much of a problem. What can be a problem, although minor, is the fact that they are totally closed, so it tends to get a little humid around the ear after long sessions.

Guest Anti Gravity

sony ones, not expensive 60 euros and works perfect to mix

I have very good ears so :D

don't need expensive headphones

as long as I can put any treble, midi, bass full ahead and the thing doens't explode ist' ok for me

I do the rest ;)

I always find that headphone mixing stuff a bit overhyped, mine cost 60 euros and then I see dj's with headphones of 300 euro and I don't know why,

to mix you want for example to hear the bassline pre listen very good, turn up the volume and turn on the bass and if you do that on my headphone of 60 euro of on that one of 300 euro it's not more difficult too beatmatch, it's a bassline for christ sake, you know how it sounds, it's not the fact how crystal clear it is, it's the goal that you copy the tempo of the bassline in your head and set it perfect with the other playing through your speakers, same with treble and midi,

as long as the damn thing doesn't explodes it's ok for me and my 60 euro sony you can put the bass full ahead, volume full ahead, it won't break, it is earlier me who will put the volume down cause I hear to sensitive then the headphone breaking...

for making music and you don't have perfect speakers then it's indeed different,

then I understand you need more expensive headphones, but to be honest if you want to make professional music you better buy speakers of 800euro a peace that perfectly plays the music how you make it, it's possible to make music with headphones but at the end you have to use speakers cause that's where everybody is going to listen too if they buy your cd,

I had several times that on headphones I didn't hear mistakes who I could hear on my speakers, well that's then the 60 euro sony not made for making music...

but I mainly mix so, satisfied :)

I don't believe in cheap headphones anymore. When i just started DJing, i got me a pair of $50 Audio-Technica headphones. They sounded great in the bedroom and even at small house parties and bar gigs. Then I scored a gig at a real club.. I put on the headphones and all of a sudden realized that I couldn't HEAR the music - the huge monitors were overpowering my headphones, and if I turned down the monitors, the club system was still drowning them out. I couldn't mix at all - had to run and borrow the other DJ's HD-25s. Now, most headphones in the lower price-range are not powerful enough for a club or any big rig, simple as that. That's why DJs use headphones that can be turned up really loud, and don't distort at high volume.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Sennheiser HD280pros. They work great for producing and listening both. They are very clear/crisp and allow you to hear every little sound in the music. They also have the perfect amount of bass, they don't overdo it like some headphones. I couldn't ask for a better pair of headphones, especially for $90-$100. I don't really know about DJing though.

The only real downside is their looks, but if you're buying headphones for looks, i think you have the wrong idea...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't believe in cheap headphones anymore. When i just started DJing, i got me a pair of $50 Audio-Technica headphones. They sounded great in the bedroom and even at small house parties and bar gigs. Then I scored a gig at a real club.. I put on the headphones and all of a sudden realized that I couldn't HEAR the music - the huge monitors were overpowering my headphones, and if I turned down the monitors, the club system was still drowning them out. I couldn't mix at all - had to run and borrow the other DJ's HD-25s. Now, most headphones in the lower price-range are not powerful enough for a club or any big rig, simple as that. That's why DJs use headphones that can be turned up really loud, and don't distort at high volume.

450748[/snapback]

I have the Sennheiser HD280pros.  They work great for producing and listening both.  They are very clear/crisp and allow you to hear every little sound in the music.  They also have the perfect amount of bass, they don't overdo it like some headphones.  I couldn't ask for a better pair of headphones, especially for $90-$100.  I don't really know about DJing though.

The only real downside is their looks, but if you're buying headphones for looks, i think you have the wrong idea...

498345[/snapback]

YEAH! HD's are the shiznay!

I use them to produce at home and when I'm out djing too! I find that the dynamic range is so good that you don't really have to turn them up so loud. And now that Sennheiser make closed-back headphones I would recommend them to ALL dj's! They also have SUPER bass response!

A cool tip for buying headphones: put them on in the store ( with nothing playing through them of course! ) and clap your hands! Now you can hear how much sound they block out - a cool way of seeing what they will be like when you're in a club with a booming PA!!!!

• 2 months later...
Guest The Journey Man Project

I forked out for Sennheiser and the bastards always fall apart in like 5 months!! I like sony but might give technics a go if I can find 'em tomorrow...

• 4 months later...

Whats better for everyday home training and 2-3 times a months playing at a party:

Technics RP-DJ1210

Pioneer HDJ-1000

Sennheiser HD-25

* Price matters

* They will be used only for training, I've got other ones for listening

* I need good isolation, clear sound

Also what's the difference between HD25 and HD25 SP, except SPs are 100$ cheaper? ;)

Maybe I am a bit late, but these are great for djing in my experience:

Posted Image

if you want the one withouth the spiral cord, then get the 1200s :D

here is a link to them with a price, the ones without the spiral cord:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/store...cs%20DJ&display

go for the rpdj 1210. they are great. Its worth the extra money to get some decent phones.. The special cord is usefull sometimes..

these have great durability.. even took them travelling trough central and south america for 5 months and don't even have a scratch.

no complaints whatsoever.

www.musicstore.de for europeans..