DJ Headphones

My Sony MDR-600 are falling apart after 3 years of heavy use. I might get them again (cheap, durable, good sound, but sometimes not loud enough at indoor parties/clubs and a bit heavy to wear for extended periods of time @ home).. But was also looking at other headphones, like Sony MDR-900, Sennheiser HD25, or Ultrasone HF-700 or DJ-1.

Curious what people here use, and what they would recommend. I need something for DJing and home listening/studio monitor use, not just DJ.

Thanks!

I've used HD25 (both regular and cheapo versions) several times, and I like them, they work great for mixing, and everything comes through loud and clear. The only thing I don't like is that they're small and I'm used to headphones that can envelop my ears completely. Maybe I have a big head.. hehe. But also might be just a matter of habit.

So how do they feel after you wear them for a few hours at home?

Sorry, OD, but Sonys are no good. Believe me, I owned several pairs for several years. Sennheisers are far better, especially for musicians who want a pure sound, rather than the inflated, fake sound of Sony.

I've owned the Senn HD590s, which had great sound but were a little fragile, and more for home listening, and currently own and love the HD280pro model, which has excellent sound, a solid build, and is a perfect monitor headphone for less than US$100. If you do your research at audiophile sites, you'll see that it is top-rated for the money. Not a surprise to me.

Sorry, OD, but Sonys are no good. Believe me, I owned several pairs for several years. Sennheisers are far better, especially for musicians who want a pure sound, rather than the inflated, fake sound of Sony.

I've owned the Senn HD590s, which had great sound but were a little fragile, and more for home listening, and currently own and love the HD280pro model, which has excellent sound, a solid build, and is a perfect monitor headphone for less than US$100. If you do your research at audiophile sites, you'll see that it is top-rated for the money. Not a surprise to me.

438340[/snapback]

its a pity Sennheisers are the ugliest headphones in existence. the sony's are great for me and they look 100x better.

its a pity Sennheisers are the ugliest headphones in existence. the sony's are great for me and they look 100x better.

438343[/snapback]

<_<

You're going to have to do better than that to get a laugh out of me.

:D

Seriously, you're right. Sony headphones do look better than some Sennheisers. So if you're out for looks, I'd certainly buy them.

I can't stand Sony 700s, Pioneer 1000 or Technics phones.. or any other 'DJ' headphones. The sound quality is usually terrible, with the bass over-amplified to the extreme. And overpriced to boot.

2 cents.

:)

okay, so I went to the store and listened to Technics 1200 headphones, Sony MDR 900 and Beyerdynamic DT770. ended up getting the Beyers, they had by far the best sound.. not really 'DJ' headphones, but they'll do. :D

link

the 80ohm DT770 Pro..

438343[/snapback]

do you unplug them and go to the mirror with the head phones on and pretend you're DJ tiesto now and again? it's ok we won't tell :) i would too :rolleyes:

okay, so I went to the store and listened to Technics 1200 headphones, Sony MDR 900 and Beyerdynamic DT770. ended up getting the Beyers, they had by far the best sound.. not really 'DJ' headphones, but they'll do. :D

link

the 80ohm DT770 Pro..

439048[/snapback]

bastard those are great fuckin cans enjoy B)

now who will suggest good headphones for listening, not ridiculously expensive, durable, with one wire running from the headphones (as opposed to two), and they must withstand extreme temperature.

fucking shit sennheisers, had three of them crack in the cold

now who will suggest good headphones for listening, not ridiculously expensive, durable, with one wire running from the headphones (as opposed to two), and they must withstand extreme temperature.

439114[/snapback]

$19.99 for 2 year all-inclusive replacement warranty from Guitar Center.. :)

@ Lauryn

Sony 7506 are nice, but the mids/highs are shrill, I played an insane dark psy set w/them once, almost went deaf from all the tweaky sounds. But they work well for almost any other type of music, I think.

439114[/snapback]

it is really beyond me how headphones, 'break from the cold'

in which case this link might be useful> http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/S...ect_catlg=Parts

and if there aren't parts then that means they were too economy for them to consider making replacements, the way i see it could you had bough one pair of decent cans for the price you paid for those three...

i messed up too have a PX100's laying around from an impulse buy but i wouln't recommend those...

it is really beyond me how headphones, 'break from the cold' 

in which case this link might be useful> http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/S...ect_catlg=Parts

and if there aren't parts then that means they were too economy for them to consider making replacements, the way i see it could you had bough one pair of decent cans for the price you paid for those three...

i messed up too have a PX100's laying around from an impulse buy but i wouln't recommend those...

439117[/snapback]

the wires just snap because they are so thin

maybe consider some DJ headphones like Sony 900, there's only one cable and it's thick and coiled.

439131[/snapback]

No, no, and no! Believe me, I used to be a complete Sony devotee. And then I saw (heard) the light. Please don't waste any more money on Sony headphones.

Sennheiser

AKG

Beyer

Grado

These are the only names anyone will ever need. Please go here and see for yourselves.

No, no, and no! Believe me, I used to be a complete Sony devotee. And then I saw (heard) the light. Please don't waste any more money on Sony headphones.

Sennheiser

AKG

Beyer

Grado

These are the only names anyone will ever need. Please go here and see for yourselves.

439149[/snapback]

well, I thought maybe since DJ headphones are built to be abused, they'll withstand the cold as well.. Sennheiser HD-25 are pretty sturdy too.

Well many _tools_ look like they've been designed in a cave without light but do their job better than those "megaparty 8000 with x-tra glitter" toys.

HD25-1 is going to be my next set, been playing with Pioneer 5000's and I get a headache because they're so heavy and not padded enough on the top arch. When playing in a club etc, you really don't have time to enjoy the sound quality through your headphones, that's why there should be a good set of monitors (Bosc's or komodo;) in the booth. I mainly listen to music from headphones at night when my wife is sleeping, so I need good sound that can be weared for many hours. At day time my crappy speakers will do the job.

Buy quality, that's the way to stop the crap from being produced.

Dj headphones are not build to withstand cold, plastic shatters very easily in -15C. Keep those wires under your jacket.

Dj headphones are not build to withstand cold, plastic shatters very easily in -15C. Keep those wires under your jacket.

439966[/snapback]

I think Audio Technica makes wooden and aluminum headphones..

there's also ear canal headphones.

Sennheiser

AKG

Beyer

Grado

439149[/snapback]

i agree with you on the sound quality, but when the cables snap every time ot goes below -25 celsius, i don't care how clean the sound is, there is none of it left