Bashing Psytrance

Otto Matta

Fullon and darkpsy suck big time imo, they are almost as bad as gangster rap, only oldschool and newschool is true psychedelic trance.

437967[/snapback]

in your opinion that is :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there are bad people in all the scenes. Doesnt matter what genre. There are killers in the psy scene, there are drugaddicts in the pop scene, there are anabola addicts in the trip hop scene.

Every genre/scene has their fair share of morons. People that dont really care about the music, but care about their appearance and their glorius status, coolnes, etc etc....

and todays letter is O... O as in Openminded...said Kremit dee frowg.

Posted Image

Fullon and darkpsy suck big time imo, they are almost as bad as gangster rap, only oldschool and newschool is true psychedelic trance.

437967[/snapback]

bla blaa blaa...You talk a lot of bullshit you know that. come back after 10 years and i bet you will laugh your ass off when reading your own writings. Talk about teenage angst!

sorry for the bad english knowledge, i forgot the word kill, aktually they killed him tourgh that, imagine that, they killed him, 15 and 16 years old kids killed a 45 years old man and do you know the reason? The reason is because they wanted fight with someone, and that´s ofcourse not the onliest kill from kids that listen rap, here in Germany it´s all the time so, they even don´t show it on the tv, just on the local news because it isnothing speciall anymore, fucking hiphop bastards like 50cent this asshole and all other hiphop assholes, i feel so agressive about that.

edit: ofcourse it is not just in Germany so, it is in every country in europe and america so or maybe in the whole world, someone should bann this people and clean the world through.

438042[/snapback]

More crap. People don´t kill other people because of Hiphop. Hiphop is not about violence at all. But maybe you are too young to understand that. I was Very much into hiphop about 10 years ago too. And I assure you that there are just as much problems in the trance scene as in the hiphop in my opinion. When people are young or troubled they doo stupid things and some go way over the line sometimes. But thats not because of music...thats beacause of the society we live in.

Don't get me started about bashing music styles... :rolleyes:

Basically all styles are fine for me, some I like more than others, some I don't like at all. It's taste and nothing more. You are not special because you listen to THE RIGHT style of music... It's just music, end of story.

By trying to get people into psytrance quite a lot in my day,  I guess I have some theories as to why people dislike psy as a genre:

1> It's much more intense than most music, it really demands your attention.

2> It's quite pompous and sometimes (melo)dramatic about itself (spiritual awakening, journeys to different worlds, etc).

3> It has a different function than most music (i.e. the music is also intended to take you on a journey, not simply to cheer you up or soothe your sadness)

in other words, it's doesn't conform to what many people want music to do to them. but it does try to force home its message rather ostensiously (with samples talking about those other worlds etc - when to an uninitiated listener just sounds like a bunch of VERY loud and relentless beats with some zapping sounds stuck on top)

437947[/snapback]

Good points. And may I also add that it is hard for most people to dance to it. People generally like their music "sexier", with more of a swing to it, and slower.

But there are bad people in all the scenes. Doesnt matter what genre. There are killers in the psy scene, there are drugaddicts in the pop scene, there are anabola addicts in the trip hop scene.

Every genre/scene has their fair share of morons. People that dont really care about the music, but care about their appearance and their glorius status, coolnes, etc etc....

and todays letter is O... O as in Openminded...said Kremit dee frowg.

Posted Image

438060[/snapback]

More crap. People don´t kill other people because of Hiphop. Hiphop is not about violence at all. But maybe you are too young to understand that. I was Very much into hiphop about 10 years ago too. And I assure you that there are just as much problems in the trance scene as in the hiphop in my opinion. When people are young or troubled they doo stupid things and some go way over the line sometimes. But thats not because of music...thats beacause of the society we live in.

438194[/snapback]

'

:)

sorry for the bad english knowledge, i forgot the word kill, aktually they killed him tourgh that, imagine that, they killed him, 15 and 16 years old kids killed a 45 years old man and do you know the reason? The reason is because they wanted fight with someone, and that´s ofcourse not the onliest kill from kids that listen rap, here in Germany it´s all the time so, they even don´t show it on the tv, just on the local news because it isnothing speciall anymore, fucking hiphop bastards like 50cent this asshole and all other hiphop assholes, i feel so agressive about that.

edit: ofcourse it is not just in Germany so, it is in every country in europe and america so or maybe in the whole world, someone should bann this people and clean the world through.

438042[/snapback]

sorry but hip hop exist already a long very time and the hip hop you hear on mtv is just a sub genre of hip hop,

there exist more other hip hop you never heard before I think reading your post,

50 cent is a hype,

hip hop can be very intilligent and is a very strong music creation,

you mean gangsta rap stuff, but hip hop is thousand times more then that ;)

1> It's much more intense than most music, it really demands your attention.

437947[/snapback]

Nice list. On this point, the latter is not necessarily true at least in my experience. Can be great to have it behind you as motivation while on the road or while working. Especially if you have to do monotous work. Done it while driving, cutting hemp, dataentry, making food. More or less always worked great, less boring.

I don't fully disagree w/that though i just think there's an aspect missing: the psychedelic aspect which is too complex, chaotic. Although i can't say that about a lot of new psy. Therefore i also think the new music from 2000 - 2005 opened the scene to a more wide public, e.g. techno and trance people. If it sounds shit to them, they could always do the same widely done on trance and techno parties: pop one to make it sound better. Makes the worst psy/full on enjoyable.

My last party was like that. Every kid on E, except for me and my friend who loves all the psy equally. Major headache from those E users. Never heard such awfull sound. It was Stella Nutella or something. Went to my car to shroom w/my DAP and toy w/my friends portable el-cheapo spinners.

I dont like Hip-Hop in genaral

BUT there is great songs and musicality in this genre, its not all about pimps and hos ( even thou we got admit, its hell funny to talk about pimps and hos)

So

This is an example of a hip-hop track that i like

Its emotional, and notice the fine vocal work on the end

A good hip -hop song, listen radi and all the others

Ps: Eminem is the DEVIL

438042[/snapback]

438194[/snapback]

Totally agree with Delirious here. I listen to a lot of hip-hip. Hip-Hop isn't about being violent and killing people, it's a way to express yourself. There is a lot of anger and violent talk in hip-hop, but it's not to glorify it, it's much more to denounce it. Lots of rappers had a really hard life, they come from poor class and lived in violent neighborhood. They didn't had all the opportunities some other people had, so they have seen lots of injustice and they want to express their frustration. Rap is full of emotions, but because the guy express anger, it doesn't mean he wants you to become violent. If you can't understand that, you're as stupid as the kid who killed an old man.

And if I use your way of thinking, I could say that psytrance encourage people to take drugs.

If a kid is violent, it's not because of music, the problem comes from somewhere else, the family, society, etc... If the kid would listen to another genre, he would still be violent. The violence is into the kid, not into the music.

Totally agree with Delirious here. I listen to a lot of hip-hip. Hip-Hop isn't about being violent and killing people, it's a way to express yourself. There is a lot of anger and violent talk in hip-hop, but it's not to glorify it, it's much more to denounce it. Lots of rapers had a really hard life, they come from poor class and lived in violent neighborhood. They didn't had all the opportunities some other people had, so they have seen lots of injustice and they want to express their frustration. Rap is full of emotions, but because the guy express anger, it doesn't mean he wants you to become violent. If you can't understand that, you're as stupid as the kid who killed an old man.

And if I use your way of thinking, I could say that psytrance encourage people to take drugs.

If a kid is violent, it's not because of music, the problem comes from somewhere else, the family, society, etc... If the kid would listen to another genre, he would still be violent. The violence is into the kid, not into the music.

439107[/snapback]

And you say hip-hop isn't violent? If they're all rapers, then they're violent.

i was going to try to add something intelligent to this discussion but then saw that people are talking about good hiphop and noone has mentioned tribe called quest or jurassic 5, so i am out of here

439119[/snapback]

I think I recall someone mentioning Tribe Called Quest.

I'm not so sure the issue is so much about Hip Hop being violent or having a certain stigma. At least for me I don't relate to the beat and the sounds and the mood and the narrative of Hip Hop. I don't like many words in my music to begin with. It's the general feel of Hip Hop that I don't relate to.

And to tell you the truth, I find the interest in Hip Hop by people who have not struggled or did not grow up in the hood ingenuine. Yeah, I said it. I always found it completely ridiculous to see a bunch of middle-class white kids dancing to Hip Hop or singinig along with the lyrics, when 99.999% of those white kids cannot even begin to relate to the message in the music. To me it's like white people celebrating the strife of black people. The way I see it, the message was not meant for me, and therefore I will not celebrate it. And you could use the excuse that now a bunch of middle-class white kids are also making Hip Hop, but their sound is derivative of the original; which is just as bad, because they're using the strife- and angst-ridden sound and lyrics of the original for their own purposes, distorting it and making it merely a sound, removing it from its original, genuine intention.

i was going to try to add something intelligent to this discussion but then saw that people are talking about good hiphop and noone has mentioned tribe called quest or jurassic 5, so i am out of here

439119[/snapback]

:D

ATCQ and Jurassic5 rule !

And you say hip-hop isn't violent? If they're all rapers, then they're violent.

:lol:

he meant rappers.

I always found it completely ridiculous to see a bunch of middle-class white kids dancing to Hip Hop or singinig along with the lyrics, when 99.999% of those white kids cannot even begin to relate to the message in the music

that's true..

but these kids listen to POP-hop :D i would say.,

middle-class white kids are also making Hip Hop, but their sound is derivative of the original; which is just as bad, because they're using the strife- and angst-ridden sound and lyrics of the original for their own purposes, distorting it and making it merely a sound, removing it from its original, genuine intention.

more BS IMO, there are thousands of styles and there's still individuality, not just "angst-ridden sound and lyrics"

but indeed it's distorted as EVERYTHING has been distorted

from rock to "psytrance".

it's very simple..

you can say you dont like it as a sound [ the beat, rhythm etc] but you cannot generalise by saying it's not intelligent blah blah.

In other ways, you can simply tell you cant relate to it. No Problem.

But anyways why not give it one more try and check some of the albums recommended here?

:D

ATCQ and Jurassic5 rule !

:lol:

he meant rappers.

that's true..

but these kids listen to POP-hop :D i would say.,

more BS IMO, there are thousands of styles and there's still individuality, not just "angst-ridden sound and lyrics"

but indeed it's distorted as EVERYTHING has been distorted

from rock to "psytrance".

it's very simple..

you can say you dont like it as a sound [ the beat, rhythm etc] but you cannot generalise by saying it's not intelligent blah blah.

In other ways, you can simply tell you cant relate to it. No Problem.

But anyways why not give it one more try and check some of the albums recommended here?

439470[/snapback]

I actually never said it was bad. Just that the original intention has been maligned by those who don't understand why Hip-Hop exists in the first place.

I actually never said it was bad. Just that the original intention has been maligned by those who don't understand why Hip-Hop exists in the first place.

439814[/snapback]

sure.

Similarly, however, the original intention of Goa trance has been distorted, no?

but that doesnt mean that white low/middle class people cannot do "hiphop".. It's some sort of cultural exchange, finding another way to express ideas,thoughts,whatever, instead of writing e.g a rock song, or a pop song, or a song with no lyrics.

it's just a different path.

sure.

Similarly, however, the original intention of Goa trance has been distorted, no?

but that doesnt mean that white low/middle class people cannot do "hiphop".. It's some sort of cultural exchange, finding another way to express ideas,thoughts,whatever, instead of writing e.g a rock song, or a pop song, or a song with no lyrics.

it's just a different path.

439845[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree with you to an extent, that hip hop has become a cultural exchange, and that's a good thing, but if I were black and saw some kid driving the SUV his mom bought for him talking like a wigger and making music about the hood, I'd be pretty upset.

However, Psytrance is still more or less the way it has always been, with some minor adjustments. It has always been made by hippie white kids for hippie white kids, and still has all the silly sci-fi/drug/hindu samples, monotone bassline, acidic sounds, etc., as in the beginning.

Yeah, I agree with you to an extent, that hip hop has become a cultural exchange, and that's a good thing, but if I were black and saw some kid driving the SUV his mom bought for him talking like a wigger and making music about the hood, I'd be pretty upset.

However, Psytrance is still more or less the way it has always been, with some minor adjustments. It has always been made by hippie white kids for hippie white kids, and still has all the silly sci-fi/drug/hindu samples, monotone bassline, acidic sounds, etc., as in the beginning.

439877[/snapback]

you think psytrance is made BY hippie white kids today? FOR hippie white kids? I dont think so.

Anyways, the white kid doesnt have to talk about the hood.. neither all blacks talk about the "hood" .. it could by anything.. from society to poltics to story-telling to... to.. to...