Bashing Psytrance

Otto Matta

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont like eminem. he's one of the many responsible for hiphop turning into POP[it's Pop music nowadays, similarly that mostly todays "psy" is also "pop"...]

personally..

if i was to recommend something intelligent and musically interestng from the hiphop genre it would be :

MOS DEF - BLACK ON BOTH SIDES

TALIB KWELI & HI-TEK - REFLECTION ETERNAL (TRAIN OF THOUGHTS)

ANTI-POP CONSORTIUM - ARRYTHMIA  (WARP RECORDS)

ATMOSPHERE - GOD LOVES UGLY

Prefuse - One Word Extiguisher [WARP RECORDS, experimental]

Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous [old street hiphop,great skillz]

Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies (perfect)

AESOP ROCK - FLOAT

Phi Life Cypher - Metaphor [ UK Hiphop]

I rarely listen to these nowadays cuz i am exploring other genres now but i like them nevertheless...

437869[/snapback]

Sorry, but ill have to ask:

No tupac? IMO one of the best rappers of all times. Even a poet perhaps.

Btw, i like hiphop, psytrance, punk rock, ska, reggae, classical, dub, chill, edm in general, jazz, bossa nova, blues, rnb (specially old stuff like marvin gaye, but today some great tunes are released aswell), MPB (Brazilian popular music or Musica Popular Brasileira :P), bossa nova.

So to some extent im more like a music in general lover than a psytrance lover, and i must say that except for some jazz, classical and blues, psychedelic dance music in general (im including chill and prog) is the genre that most amazes me and that i dont get tired after 30-1hour listening.

Its an awesome genre, and if people dislike it, well, fuck em.

Irony is you are similarly narrow-minded cuz you are arrogant and dont allow anything from hiphop..//

i could give you e.g 10 good albums to check but i doubt you would do it anyways

you should

1)Open Your Mind

2)Open Your Ears

or

1)Open Your Ears

2)Open Your Mind

dont know what's going first

437839[/snapback]

Well that's kinda my point, nick (if you'd open your ears). I, like the vast majority of people, am somewhat closed-minded when it comes to other genres that I don't know intimately. I hear the popular stuff and poo-poo it because it doesn't fit my belief system. But I've heard a LOT of hip-hop - simply because it's pretty much the dominant form of music these days and is therefore everywhere - and I still don't like it. I've heard a lot of jazz and don't like most of it, either.

Don't push your shit on me. And I agree not to push my shit on you. That's the point.

theres good and bad music in every genre.. its just all this subcultures was it psytrancers, hiphoppers, metal heads whatever they allways think their genre is the best and they are the choosen people by god because they listen to genre x .. radi4604 is perfect example of these genre wars, but his still young i wasnt better at that age when listening metal only :P

theres good and bad music in every genre.. its just all this subcultures was it psytrancers, hiphoppers, metal heads whatever they allways think their genre is the best and they are the choosen people by god because they listen to genre x .. radi4604 is perfect example of these genre wars, but his still young i wasnt better at that age when listening metal only  :P

437892[/snapback]

Word. I was just like that when I was in lukio (regarding psytrance) , it was all listened to XDD

Comon,

Music is music. Yes, there will always be people that hate what you listen to! You should be happy that these people hate your music so much. Imagine if these people that are so full of hate would come to your parties, it would ruin it :D

Anyways, I dont hate music, I can strongly dislike something, but hate, nah..

I listen to almost everything, and I must say, when I am producing new tracks, im not listening to psy at all. To keep my head clear. I get far better influences from hiphop/rap, flamenco or even rock.... but I guess thats just me :)

Anyways, I think we all need to keep an open mind to every type of music, you might find something that you like one day, from the genres, that you so dislike.

Hating HipHop, and then disliking Hiphoppers for hating psy, well, thats just, pure stupid...

(Hiphop was just an example, you can replace it with heavy, pop, whatever) :D

Anyways, have a nice day yall :D

By trying to get people into psytrance quite a lot in my day, I guess I have some theories as to why people dislike psy as a genre:

1> It's much more intense than most music, it really demands your attention.

2> It's quite pompous and sometimes (melo)dramatic about itself (spiritual awakening, journeys to different worlds, etc).

3> It has a different function than most music (i.e. the music is also intended to take you on a journey, not simply to cheer you up or soothe your sadness)

in other words, it's doesn't conform to what many people want music to do to them. but it does try to force home its message rather ostensiously (with samples talking about those other worlds etc - when to an uninitiated listener just sounds like a bunch of VERY loud and relentless beats with some zapping sounds stuck on top)

Guest Astro Cortex

It has a different function than most music (i.e. the music is also intended to take you on a journey, not simply to cheer you up or soothe your sadness)

in other words, it's doesn't conform to what many people want music to do to them.

437947[/snapback]

Nail on the head.

By trying to get people into psytrance quite a lot in my day,  I guess I have some theories as to why people dislike psy as a genre:

1> It's much more intense than most music, it really demands your attention.

2> It's quite pompous and sometimes (melo)dramatic about itself (spiritual awakening, journeys to different worlds, etc).

3> It has a different function than most music (i.e. the music is also intended to take you on a journey, not simply to cheer you up or soothe your sadness)

in other words, it's doesn't conform to what many people want music to do to them. but it does try to force home its message rather ostensiously (with samples talking about those other worlds etc - when to an uninitiated listener just sounds like a bunch of VERY loud and relentless beats with some zapping sounds stuck on top)

437947[/snapback]

same words as praising any genre, 'our music is so much deeper normal people dont understand it' ;)

Guest Astro Cortex

same words as praising any genre, 'our music is so much deeper normal people dont understand it'  ;)

437958[/snapback]

After all, disliking a style of music is not too different from "not understanding" its advantages. Applies to any genre I think.

After all, disliking a style of music is not too different from "not understanding" its advantages. Applies to any genre I think.

agree

I would argue that psytrance has lost some it "original advantages" though in the 2000-2005 period... instead of focusing on it's main function/advantage - induction of a dreamy trancelike state - it somehow already assumes this state is there and comes in all guns blazing (like most full-on or darkpsy). In a sense, it preaches exclusively to the converted, while alienating unintiated listeners.

agree

I would argue that psytrance has lost some it "original advantages" though in the 2000-2005 period... instead of focusing on it's main function/advantage - induction of a dreamy trancelike state - it somehow already assumes this state is there and comes in all guns blazing (like most full-on or darkpsy). In a sense, it preaches exclusively to the converted, while alienating unintiated listeners.

437965[/snapback]

Fullon and darkpsy suck big time imo, they are almost as bad as gangster rap, only oldschool and newschool is true psychedelic trance.

agree

437965[/snapback]

same as many people think hip hop is only the stuff played in radio even tho theres big ug scene behind

edit: little off topic but i read review of miles davis - kind of blue album and it was bashed to be disgrace to jazz scene.. too easy listen and blues influences

Edited by Towelie

Why does it do that to you?

437845[/snapback]

It irritates me because what I've heard I consider mindless rubbish created by talentless people who are under the illusion they're someting special. The artists come across as arrogant and that's not something I find attractive.

It also irritates me because the music conveys no emotion I can relate to. Maybe if I was living in a rough city dealing with guns and crack and harassed by the police every day I could connect to it, but I don't, I live in a tiny village in the Welsh mountains. I have no interest in guns, Gucci, Mercedes, violence, dollars and bitches. These things mean nothing to me. I consider them shallow topics not worthy of my time.

Lastly, and most importantly, I just don't like the sound. Give me pianos, cellos, violins, acoustic guitars and oboes any day.

I hope that on the what do you listen thread was a joke! Btw i don´t like hiphop at all because they only sing shit in the songs and most people, especially the fucking poberty kids think they and hiphop are the best and don´t allow anything but hiphop

437854[/snapback]

Hehe, yeah, I was joking.

It irritates me because what I've heard I consider mindless rubbish created by talentless people who are under the illusion they're someting special. The artists come across as arrogant and that's not something I find attractive.

It also irritates me because the music conveys no emotion I can relate to. Maybe if I was living in a rough city dealing with guns and crack and harassed by the police every day I could connect to it, but I don't, I live in a tiny village in the Welsh mountains. I have no interest in guns, Gucci, Mercedes, violence, dollars and bitches. These things mean nothing to me. I consider them shallow topics not worthy of my time.

Lastly, and most importantly, I just don't like the sound. Give me pianos, cellos, violins, acoustic guitars and oboes any day.

Hehe, yeah, I was joking.

438013[/snapback]

This is apsolute what i think alzo, but the porrest thing of all is that most kids listen to the music and do what the text´s of the music are about. They love to fight, they take drugs, they damage everything and so on, for example i saw kids that were 15 and 16 and were drunked and they hit an old man til he was dead, that´s the very reason why i hate hiphop and even thing hiphop with such tests shouldn´t be allowed because only kids that listen hiphop do this shit, all other kids and people don´t do that. If a hiphopper would say anything against me or so i would fight with him but if a NORMAL NON HIPPOPER would say anyhting against me i would think of fighting but if it would be something that is not that bad i would let it.

not all hip hop is about crack and hoes, and even how much you would hate the stuff played on radio you cant say they are talentless (ofcourse you can say but..) .. its like judging whole psytrance shit after hearing skazi - seek and destroy 'remix'  :rolleyes:

438032[/snapback]

I appreciate it's unwise to judge the whole hip hop scene based on what I've heard but I still do so anyway and believe most people do the same, regardless of genre.

This is apsolute what i think alzo, but the porrest thing of all is that most kids listen to the music and do what the text´s of the music are about. They love to fight, they take drugs, they damage everything and so on, for example i saw kids that were 15 and 16 and were drunked and they hit an old man til he was dead, that´s the very reason why i hate hiphop and even thing hiphop with such tests shouldn´t be allowed because only kids that listen hiphop do this shit, all other kids and people don´t do that. If a hiphopper would say anything against me or so i would fight with him but if a NORMAL NON HIPPOPER would say anyhting against me i would think of fighting but if it would be something that is not that bad i would let it.

438028[/snapback]

They didn't actually kill him though, did they?

They didn't actually kill him though, did they?

438036[/snapback]

sorry for the bad english knowledge, i forgot the word kill, aktually they killed him tourgh that, imagine that, they killed him, 15 and 16 years old kids killed a 45 years old man and do you know the reason? The reason is because they wanted fight with someone, and that´s ofcourse not the onliest kill from kids that listen rap, here in Germany it´s all the time so, they even don´t show it on the tv, just on the local news because it isnothing speciall anymore, fucking hiphop bastards like 50cent this asshole and all other hiphop assholes, i feel so agressive about that.

edit: ofcourse it is not just in Germany so, it is in every country in europe and america so or maybe in the whole world, someone should bann this people and clean the world through.

I dont like eminem. he's one of the many responsible for hiphop turning into POP[it's Pop music nowadays, similarly that mostly todays "psy" is also "pop"...]

437869[/snapback]

Yeah, I used to like hip hop, some of the older stuff was really good, by talented people (hate the attitude of those guys but still have to respect the music) I enjoyed the comedy hip hop like gravediggers and the raw stuff like the Wu Tang Clan. But eminem made it too popular and now everything made nowadays is made for the masses (10 million people think its good now but noone truly loves it, it'll be forgotten in months) so obviously the quality has severley fallen. The same thing could happen in any genre, just get one superstar all the other artists want to cash in (money is a big motivator, many people would sell out given the chance). Just hope that our little scene doesn't get eminemed.

BTW

Best hip hop nowadays is Roots Manuva. He's funny, unpretentious and he doesn't rap about poppin' a cap in ya ass. More about cheese on toast and knobbly knees.