Solution for everyone

visine

Yes, this is another mp3 debate....but a nice one.. There have been many of fights already... One argument is mp3 are bad because free sharing will not allow labels to survive since they lose money. Secondly, mp3's are good because they serve as a great promotional tools. Now, I have never seen a good solution that will work for everyone. Put yourself in the label's shoes..what would you do in order to survive and give your music exposure it deserves at the same time? Let's hear those ideas..You are the consumer let your voice be heard. What would make you buy instead of download for free?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is another mp3 debate....but a nice one.. There have been many of fights already... One argument is mp3 are bad because free sharing will not allow labels to survive since they lose money. Secondly, mp3's are good because they serve as a great promotional tools. Now, I have never seen a good solution that will work for everyone. Put yourself in the label's shoes..what would you do in order to survive and give your music exposure it deserves at the same time? Let's hear those ideas..You are the consumer let your voice be heard. What would make you buy instead of download for free?

435546[/snapback]

Well I buy what I like.. but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to order 99% of my records online but could instead go to a music store and buy em off there :)

Well I buy what I like.. but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to order 99% of my records online but could instead go to a music store and buy em off there :)

435550[/snapback]

I know exactly how you feel :) I order something and than I need to wait like 1-2 weeks in order for them to receive the payment an have it delivered here. Now would you rather pay a few bucks more to have CD's available at your local store or you would prefer online ordering for a bit of less money?

Sorry but i dont think that anything could change the massive downloading.

435557[/snapback]

Well, there is one thing. The reason people download is because it's cheaper than buying, right? So to stop people from downloading, buying music should be cheaper. The solution : give people money when they pick up cd's in the store. Everyone would stop downloading. :ph34r:

435557[/snapback]

I don't think downloading is necasarily always bad, sometimes it is good for a label/artist. What I'm trying to find out is ideas how to make people buy more, not necesarilly stop downloading. Many labels frequent these forums. Maybe we can supply some useful ideas for them and then in return get what we want so everyone benefits.

435557[/snapback]

That's not the point.

I for one cannot argue which is best. But I see what you want as an answer :-D

My answer is: Whatever your solutions are :)

Aaron

Well, there is one thing. The reason people download is because it's cheaper than buying, right? So to stop people from downloading, buying music should be cheaper. The solution : give people money when they pick up cd's in the store. Everyone would stop downloading.  :ph34r:

435561[/snapback]

You are funny :lol: Anyways...as I stated previously the goal is not necesarrily to stop people from downloading but encourage more buying.

Twisted should do some thing where you pay em 100€ and they will automatically mail you their 10 next releases, 2 weeks prior to the official release always of course :)

I would sign like this to G+ and Twisted w/out a second thought.. hell even 200€ :D

That's not the point.

I for one cannot argue which is best.  But I see what you want as an answer :-D

My answer is:  Whatever your solutions are :)

Aaron

435568[/snapback]

Oh common you're collector :) ...you buy so much... What makes you buy so much?

Twisted should do some thing where you pay em 100€ and they will automatically mail you their 10 next releases, 2 weeks prior to the official release always of course :)

I would sign like this to G+ and Twisted w/out a second thought.. hell even 200€ :D

435570[/snapback]

That way the twisted releases will be available for downloading two weeks in advance aswell :)

435570[/snapback]

Damn good idea Traveller! Kinda like a subscription service to your favorite label's releases....you commit to buy 10 CD's and they give you a better deal so you save some money per CD...like a volume discount..that'd be cool.

there are some albums that are sold out and you have to pay like 200$ to get them IF you find them....so mp3 are good on this occasion,or listening to tracks before buying the cd...but i really disapprove djs using p2p dowloaded mp3s in their sets!!!

first for quality reason and for ethics after that!!!

SO reprint those albums for me !!!

etnica-alien protein

*memory block,please try again later*

there are some albums that are sold out and you have to pay like 200$ to get them IF you find them....so mp3 are good on this occasion,or listening to tracks before buying the cd...but i really disapprove djs using p2p dowloaded mp3s in their sets!!!

first for quality reason and for ethics after that!!!

SO reprint those albums for me !!!

etnica-alien protein

*memory block,please try again later*

435593[/snapback]

Re-printing costs may be to much for a small label but your idea still makes sense.

How about labels making those rare and hard to find out of print albums available for download in .wav or some other full quality format? Would you buy them that way?

435550[/snapback]

Yeah exaclty, the bad thing is that in germany are CD store´s over two etages just with fucking rap bullshit and no good psychedelic trance cd´s because most of the stupid kids listen to this fucking getho music, i can´t believe how most kids can be so stupid and listen comerzial rap bullshit in that they hear only nocesence and they even buy clothes with adds from the rap artists, like stupid 50cent shoes and it is even cool to wear such fucking awful things.

Re-printing costs may be to much for a small label but your idea still makes sense.

How about labels making those rare and hard to find out of print albums available for download in .wav or some other full quality format? Would you buy them that way?

435596[/snapback]

yeah we could work something out.or maybe a lebel that publishes just old rare albums,wiht a slight proffit(for them),i mean if you have to pay 100-150 for used ones you can as well pay 30 for new

Being able to buy single tracks in lossless (FLAC or WAV) format for a reasonable price ($1-1.50) would help, imo. People would still be able to d/l mp3s in vbr for free, but vbr don't sound as good as 320mp3 or FLAC or WAV, and I know a lot of DJs who would pay to have tracks in lossless quality.

Oh common you're collector  :) ...you buy so much... What makes you buy so much?

435572[/snapback]

I am a hoarder. I live my life in piles. NO! I buy very strictly now. A lot of records I'm selling, I don't even care to have on CD :) because I know what I like, precisely. What I listen to and what I do not..

Honestly, I bought music off recommendations. That's how I got into the psy scene.

So, I cannot still answer this. :(

Aaron

Interesting ideas....Would making the CD's more personable help? Something like giving people an option to have them autographed if they want to...or 1 out of 20 CD's sold come with an autograph or something else... any other way to make them more personal?

Change the question.

Instead of asking what we can do to save labels, ask what we can do to help the artists.

The reason I say this has to do with why labels even exist... what are they for? Do they provide an essential service? Some of them do, I would say. Do all of them? Do we need so many? Does all music need to be physically available, or would it be beneficial to some artists to distribute some or all of their music for free on the net, bypassing the traditional label heirarchy altogether?

P2P and drooping music sales aren't so much a problem to be solved as they are a changing condition wrought by the advances of technology which the scene now must address constructively, imho.

Change the question.

Instead of asking what we can do to save labels, ask what we can do to help the artists.

The reason I say this has to do with why labels even exist... what are they for? Do they provide an essential service? Some of them do, I would say. Do all of them? Do we need so many? Does all music need to be physically available, or would it be beneficial to some artists to distribute some or all of their music for free on the net, bypassing the traditional label heirarchy altogether?

P2P and drooping music sales aren't so much a problem to be solved as they are a changing condition wrought by the advances of technology which the scene now must address constructively, imho.

435630[/snapback]

Good point. Let's hear it then..How can we help the artists? What sort of a business model do you think we need? What will work in your opinion?

Yeah exaclty, the bad thing is that in germany are CD store´s over two etages just with fucking rap bullshit and no good psychedelic trance cd´s because most of the stupid kids listen to this fucking getho music, i can´t believe how most kids can be so stupid and listen comerzial rap bullshit in that they hear only nocesence and they even buy clothes with adds from the rap artists, like stupid 50cent shoes and it is even cool to wear such fucking awful things.

435605[/snapback]

Like you wouldn't be jumping around in your hallucinogen kicks and astral glasses if they were available? :)

oh man ...

last evening i was CD shopping.

see, i have these 5 releases as mp3 and 1 as promo CD, and i decided to buy them also.

i searched for the 5 albums, found them, clicked, calculated, and thought: "Damn .. this is expensive. They are my favourite CDs, but can i really afford them?"

i bought 2 in the end.