• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look, OOOD is made of 4 guys, not just Colin:

Colin

Rama

Ryo

Steve

they're gonna release a new album, called Free Range, in this spring. so .. soon.

some of you have seen the cover already. some not. because it is so beautiful, here it is again:

Posted Image

look, OOOD is made of 4 guys, not just Colin:

Colin

Rama

Ryo

Steve

moni, if you're referring to my post, then I wrote that Colin is 1/3 of OOOD (my bad, it's 1/4), but I guess it's easy to associate only Colin with that group, because he calls himself Colin OOOD and you don't see Steve OOOD or Rama OOOD here or on the other forums...

BTW, does any one feels the same about posts or PMs starting with "look" - I feel it's kind of hostile, angry and patronising way of speaking. although I might be wrong because I'm not a native english speaker (obviously :)) and my perception might be wrong...

moni, if you're referring to my post, then I wrote that Colin is 1/3 of OOOD (my bad, it's 1/4), but I guess it's easy to associate only Colin with that group, because he calls himself Colin OOOD and you don't see Steve OOOD or Rama OOOD here or on the other forums...

BTW, does any one feels the same about posts or PMs starting with "look" - I feel it's kind of hostile, angry and patronising way of speaking. although I might be wrong because I'm not a native english speaker (obviously :)) and my perception might be wrong...

435181[/snapback]

No she was referring to my post.

My understanding was that Colin is basically running the

OOOD ship and has been for awhile.

sometimes i use "look" when explaining something, i am not a hostile/angry/patronising person. i'm actually a cheery kind of person. always happy :)

Yeah Moni, I know you're not! I'm sorry if it sounded like I have something against you :D

It was just a general question about my perception of english (I seem to have a lot of those in this thread, look up for my "door" question :))

Wow... I'm very touched and flattered - firstly that someone should see fit to start a thread about our project and secondly that enough people are actually interested enough in OOOD to make a proper conversation about it! It's not very often that people start a thread about us so I'm going to take full advantage of this one... hope I don't bore you but OOOD is obviously something very close to my heart and on forums like this, where I have a social life, I don't really want to talk too much about the music in case people think I'm pushing it in their faces. You've started it now though... :P

I'll take your points one by one. As DP would say, "let me take you through the comments and questions"...

...what about the side projects? Unconsciouss Collective, Rotatum (Phaze Din what a track!). Do you have more?

I have a project with Chris Organic ("Benefactor"), which has released a couple of tracks on Organic - one on the Tsunami benefit 3xCD and one on Invasion From Hyperspace. I also had a project with Tim Healey (Quirk and Electric Tease) called "Dallas Kiss" which released on Automatic and other labels. I've also written a couple of tracks with my good friend and ex-Psynews member Mike Indidginus, and have started (but not yet finished) tracks with Pop Stream, Tron, Fromem Ory and probably five or six others that slip my mind right now!

And what about the new album. What style is gonna be?

Well, the album is called Free Range so that should give you some idea :) It's all main-room dancefloor stuff, and although every track is properly psychedelic in the way that much 'psytrance' isn't any more, we're not limiting ourselves to the narrow psytrance pigeon-holes. The tempos of the tracks range from 130 bpm to 144, and although I'm obviously totally biassed I think there's a lot of music on the album that will totally surprise people whilst still really doing the business on the dancefloor. I can't wait to hear what people think of Oh My (Good Golly Me) or Eye Of The Beholder (a collaboration between me and Ott)!

And one question: It's OOOD or O.O.O.D.? and How do you pronounce it? o-ood or long ood?

434767[/snapback]

Amongst the four of us, and for native English speaking people it's OOOD as in FOOOD (or, indeed ooooohed ;) ). I've heard it pronounced as O-O-O-D, or "owed", or "triple-OD" (which is kind of apt cos there used to be three of us in the band :) ). Uh-Oh...OD!!!?!?!? is a new one to me!

When I came up with the name it was an acronym for "Out Of Our Depth" and to me this is still what it means, but we are all (and Steve is in particular) fond of coming up with alternative meanings; Only On One Dinosaur is one particular favourite of mine.

Silence!

One of my all time favorites.

434847[/snapback]

Phobium - glad you like Silence! It was our first release as a band, and sometime soon when the album is out of the way we're going to remix it.

There is some clever wordplay in his track names (that is, if this CD has

his track listed properly:

The Unwinding Mind (Trance)

Mind The Unwinding (I don't know what style but if it is ambient-ish then that's a flash of brilliance)

434975[/snapback]

Firstly, they're not just 'my' tracks - 95% of OOOD tracks are made in collaboration with the rest of the band - Silence is one exception. I'm just the only band-member who uses the net to promote the music in this way. Secondly, the two tracks you mention are part of a three-track 'cycle' (for want of a better word). We started by writing The Unwinding Mind, a chillout D&B track you can hear on Breathing Space. We took elements of that track and wrote Mind The Unwinding, which goes from chillout D&B to 4-to-the-floor. Then we took elements of both those tracks and wrote Find Your Mind (also on Breathing Space), 10 minutes of pure minimal psytrance with a lift at the end that sends shivers down my spine even today.

Kundalini is to this day my favourite psy track ever. Stuff like Shamanix and Enlightened Evolution got me interested, but Kundalini was the one that kept me interested right up till now. Nothing has ever moved in that way since, and it probably never will.

Utter belter - played it out last month and it still goes down a cracker.

A Live is better than breathing space IMO, and for my money the Kundalini on Fill Your Head With Phantasm 3 (the studio one) Is better than the live cut.

Colin, I know you're reading this thread btw ;)

435015[/snapback]

Damion - you smell. But I agree with you on all points, except for your comparison of our first two albums. IMO the writing on aLIVE is better than Breathing Space, but Breathing Space works better on a dancefloor production-wise.

And of course I'm reading this - this is the one time when my daily Google search for "OOOD" has come up trumps! ;):P

OOOD is a part of the old skool period and made some pretty good music,

I like it  :)

434995[/snapback]

Thanks Fuse :) It makes me sad sometimes (in my pathetic, egotistical way) that you rarely see our name in those lists of old-school acts that come up for various reasons both here and on other forums. Wherever I go people tell us how much they like what we've done (very flattering) but when it comes to 'public displays of affection' it seems sometimes as if we'd never released anything, let alone been gigging internationally since 1994.

Is OOOD still active as music producer ?

different name ?

quit ?

have no idea  :unsure:

435095[/snapback]

I dunno, I'll ask them next time I see them.

OOOD is releasing an album in few months on Organic Rec. Otherwise, Colin Bennun (1/3 of OOOD if I remember) released an album with Andrew Humphries few months ago as Voice of Cod (the best of 2005 according to me) and is making some music as Unconscious Collective with a group of other people (more ambient / downbeat project).

435096[/snapback]

Ok, gotta correct some things here :) There used to be 3 of us in OOOD, now there are 4. Nigel isn't with us, and Ramsay Melhuish and Ryo Potier have joined. They're old old friends and phenomenal DJs; it's a crying shame they (and Steve!) don't push themselves to play out more. Unconscious Collective is exactly the same people as OOOD, but yes, this is what we call our non-dancefloor output. Expect an album soon, once Free Range is out of the way and we can decide which tracks to use. We've got a few!

(By the way, on this page, one name jumps out at me in particular... sorry you didn't like it so much Ukiro... ;) )

My understanding was that Colin is basically running the

OOOD ship and has been for awhile.

435183[/snapback]

Tricky one this, sometimes it feels like that to me too, but then I remember that the music I make on my own is nothing like the music we make as OOOD. Since I started posting on forums and promoting my various projects on the internet I have obviously got more attention than I would otherwise have done, and this sometimes leads me to think (mistakenly) that I'm the most important person in the band. But this is untrue, on a more fundamental level than just me being the main programmer and engineer of the band. The one thing that we have always agreed on amongst ourselves (and I'm so glad this is still true with the current line-up) is that the most important thing of all is that we write the best music we can possibly make, irrespective of who originates any particular idea or tweaks the bassline just-so. I am very much a collaborative producer when it comes to electronic music, and every OOOD track is an equal split between whoever is involved in it.

Colin is 1/3 of OOOD (my bad, it's 1/4), but I guess it's easy to associate only Colin with that group, because he calls himself Colin OOOD and you don't see Steve OOOD or Rama OOOD here or on the other forums...

435181[/snapback]

Easy for me too, sometimes! (see above) Ryo and Steve have posted a couple of times on Psy-Forum.co.uk but they have much more important things going on in their lives than the internet, for example... er... their lives.

One thing I'd really like to do is take the OOOD live show out and about much more as our music works very well live, especially outdoors in the sun (as long as it's not too hot to dance!). Unfortunately, since there are four of us, it's expensive for us to play outside the UK and sadly it seems that for too many promoters, the effect on the dancefloor of four musicians jamming, improvising and playing prepared riffs over truly psychedelic trance music is not worth our plane fare. I'm hoping and praying that Free Range will do something to change this, and that we'll get the opportunity to play at a festival near you soon.

Where is 'coneland'? :P  Like the guy said... book us and we will come.

435578[/snapback]

you must watch conan o'brien more often I think.

If I had the money to book the Colin UUDH I would, but no. First gotta be friends with the rich kids :(

Guest The Journey Man Project

Yuh have loved the few Oood tracks I've picked up on compilations over the years, but Silence is just amazing... had some awesome moments with this being played in sunrise sets at the likes of Byron Bay back home in Australia... what the sun melt while the music warms me up *sigh* ... have my iPod with me over here in Japan and as I head off now to my apaortment, will crank up Silence in memory of this thread on my new Sennheisers :D Cannot wait for Free Range, will grab a copy asap... hope to see the lads live sometime before it to long... maybe a trip to Japan is in order Colin?

One of the few acts that have stayed true to their origin... and one of the few that have managed to make full on style still abasolutely psychedellic...

oh yes oood is voice of cod,

very good album, like it a lot,

at last not the typical fullon but very many different influences,

very good for homelistening cause this cd keeps you busy all the time any second and that's the kind of releases I like,

the intilligent factor is high how the sounds are used, well done,

a bit funky groovy once & while, bring it on I would say :D

can't wait for the next album,

keep up the good work ;)

What?? You are DAllas Kiss? AWESOME!! That 12" on automatic was one of the records I listened to the most back when it came out. Im gonna go dig it out and listen to it again tonite.

*spoken with a french accent*

'Orny Ornithologists on Dimethyltryptamine

or in your case probably more appropriate:

Old Ornithologists on Dimethyltryptamine

or

Obscenely Obsessive Oral Dildo

Guest Astro Cortex

The canonical example used to describe the illogical pronunciation

in the English language is:

GHOTI=FISH

I will leave it to you to work out the details.

English speakers don't spoil it please.

435102[/snapback]

Lemme try:

GH as in "laugh"

O as in "women"

TI as in "pronunciation"

=FISH :D

Posted Image

435172[/snapback]

Was it intentional that the broken eggshell, together with the space between the two halves, forms the letters OOOD (maybe with the sun being the second O)?

Colin, I also liked the tracks Silence and Kundalini very much back in the day (probably still do, haven't listened to them in a long time ;) ). However, I have two different versions of Silence: here and here. The one on Pulse 4 has a lot more going on, I suppose this was taken from the ALive album, correct?