Hole In Barcode - Significance?

niobium

You all know what I am talking about. A CD arrives with a hole or

a hole-punch in the middle of the barcode on the back. Does this

mean the CD was rejected by 'quality control' inspectors?

I just got Total Eclipse - Access Denied (sealed) for 99 cents.

It has one such 'hole' I have noticed these CDs come from dealers

who appear to have bought huge inventories of CDs at special liquidation

sales.

Any ideas??

• Like 1

You all know what I am talking about.  A CD arrives with a hole or

a hole-punch in the middle of the barcode on the back.  Does this

mean the CD was rejected by 'quality control' inspectors?

I just got Total Eclipse - Access Denied (sealed) for 99 cents.

It has one such 'hole'  I have noticed these CDs come from dealers

who appear to have bought huge inventories of CDs at special liquidation

sales.

Any ideas??

434201[/snapback]

means it was a promo copy, not for sale. for radio or some such thing.

means it was a promo copy, not for sale. for radio or some such thing.

434204[/snapback]

No I don't think promos have that. When there is a punched hole I believe it means they will not be sold through regular retail channels for the full price. Many times CD's that don't get sold are actually supposed to get destroyed because it makes more financial sense to destroy it and not sell for cheap then pay royalties. This is mostly the case wit big commercial labels that sell millions of cd's. The way I understand it, if there is a hole in the bar code it was sold to the third party for cheap wholesale prices and it was not meant for retail any more (hole in the bar code so retail stores can't scan it).

No I don't think promos have that.

434276[/snapback]

I used to work in radio, and every single promo CD and vinyl we would get (mostly from bigger corporate and indie labels) had a punched hole in the Barcode or a blacked-out barcode.

Can you be more specific?

\\n

434347[/snapback]

It means that a retailer has sold the album once already. After that, the person who bought it got rid of it, usually by selling it back to a used CD store. The used CD store will punch a hole in the bar code and resell it. I get the feeling that resellers must be required by law to do this, so that they don't rip anybody off by trying to sell a used CD as new.

It means that a retailer has sold the album once already. After that, the person who bought it got rid of it, usually by selling it back to a used CD store. The used CD store will punch a hole in the bar code and resell it. I get the feeling that resellers must be required by law to do this, so that they don't rip anybody off by trying to sell a used CD as new.

434416[/snapback]

Interesting. It's amazing how unscrupulous some people are.

I just received a copy of 'Access Denied' with one of those holes

but which is shrinkwrapped!!! Oh well, only 99 cents. ( x6 incl. shipping :( )

Interesting.  It's amazing how unscrupulous some people are.

I just received a copy of 'Access Denied' with one of those holes

but which is shrinkwrapped!!!  Oh well, only 99 cents.  ( x6 incl. shipping :(  )

434421[/snapback]

First of all, in my experience resellers will shrinkwrap CDs just to be able to say that the CD is shrinkwrapped, even if it's used, because it increases interest. Second, I hope you enjoy that CD more than I did. To this day I don't know what they were thinking.

First of all, in my experience resellers will shrinkwrap CDs just to be able to say that the CD is shrinkwrapped, even if it's used, because it increases interest. Second, I hope you enjoy that CD more than I did. To this day I don't know what they were thinking.

434424[/snapback]

I have heard mostly bad things about it and so my maximum bid was

set to $2.04. Hope it's worth 25.5 cents a track :(

edit: I guess I mean 12.375 cents a track...

434416[/snapback]

where did you get this information?

I used to work at a used CD store, and we NEVER punched holes in barcodes. In fact, it's hard to do, you have to open the whole CD up, and pull out the insert - you can't put it back in without messing it up one way or another.

I am 99% sure most of the punched holes are from promotional copies. Nearly every CD we got at the radio station (and the promos I'd get as a DJ) had a hole through the barcode - even brand new ones that are still in the original plastic packaging. This was in the late 90's - though I am pretty sure this is still common practice, at least among the larger/more established labels that have a stock of CDs designated as promotional material (there are thousands of radio stations, reviewers, magazines, and DJs who get these promos).

Also I clearly remember getting promotional CDs from Blue Room - they were sponsored and had a large operation, even opened an office in the US called 'Blue Room Americas' and went to Burning Man with their own theme camp, and a massive sound system - X-Dream played that year. They did a massive promo campaign, so I think your CD might be one of those distributed for free.

all this brings back memories. :)

where did you get this information?

I used to work at a used CD store, and we NEVER punched holes in barcodes. In fact, it's hard to do, you have to open the whole CD up, and pull out the insert - you can't put it back in without messing it up one way or another.

I am 99% sure most of the punched holes are from promotional copies. Nearly every CD we got at the radio station (and the promos I'd get as a DJ)  had a hole through the barcode - even brand new ones that are still in the original plastic packaging. This was in the late 90's - though I am pretty sure this is still common practice, at least among the larger/more established labels that have a stock of CDs designated as promotional material (there are thousands of radio stations, reviewers, magazines, and DJs who get these promos).

Also I clearly remember getting promotional CDs from Blue Room - they were sponsored and had a large operation, even opened an office in the US called 'Blue Room Americas' and went to Burning Man with their own theme camp, and a massive sound system - X-Dream played that year. They did a massive promo campaign, so I think your CD might be one of those distributed for free.

all this brings back memories. :)

434433[/snapback]

There is a more pleasant notion :)

So far I have noticed two 'flavours' of holes. (no wise 'cracks') :o

There is vanilla which is a hole made with a hole punch.

And then there is chocolate which is a tight little hole. :)

Chocolate seems to have been made with a 2-3 mm spike and

is a little rough around the edges.

I was making an assumption based on many years of buying from used CD stores. There were stores I bought regularly from that had their own style of barcode marking, like a heated needle that ran all the way through the case and the barcode so they didn't have to take the case apart. I just did some online research and the correct answer appears to be both. In the case of promos, the hole is made to note that the CD is not to be sold. But clearly people do it all the time anyway. I have several promo copies of used CDs that I bought from resellers in stores and online. Another reason for a hole in a barcode is that a seller or reseller is marking it as a "cutout" CD, meaning a CD that has been discontinued and can only sell or resell for a certain max price.

I was making an assumption based on many years of buying from used CD stores. There were stores I bought regularly from that had their own style of barcode marking, like a heated needle that ran all the way through the case and the barcode so they didn't have to take the case apart. I just did some online research and the correct answer appears to be both. In the case of promos, the hole is made to note that the CD is not to be sold. But clearly people do it all the time anyway. I have several promo copies of used CDs that I bought from resellers in stores and online. Another reason for a hole in a barcode is that a seller or reseller is marking it as a "cutout" CD, meaning a CD that has been discontinued and can only sell or resell for a certain max price.

434465[/snapback]

That synchs with my 2 holes post. Thanks.

It's been demoted to the bottom of my 'pile' thanks

to you ;P

\\n

434478[/snapback]

I was actually kind of hoping that someone out there would actually like it. You know, find some sort of use for it other than selling it over and over and over. I wouldn't be surprised if your copy had been owned by like 30 different people. :)

I was actually kind of hoping that someone out there would actually like it. You know, find some sort of use for it other than selling it over and over and over. I wouldn't be surprised if your copy had been owned by like 30 different people. :)

434487[/snapback]

well, we shall find out in perhaps, say - 2-3 months.

I will have a report on your desk at that time.

But you read my goddamned mind I'm afraid. You

know what I mean.

I have seen those holes too...

My guess is that they were "destroyed" because of the publishing company...

As a label, I have to pay a certain amount for every CD pressed to the publishing company. If I don't sell all the cds, I can get some of the money back, if I destroy the unsold cds! To do so, I have to go to a classified "destroying company", and I can get some of the money back. I think they usually destroy them completly (burn them or something), but in the "hole case", they probably did it a bit differently... I don't think they are promos...

With other words, this explains why CDs become so rare... They are burned! I am actually going to the "destroying company" soon to burn a few hundred Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records) cds. The CD sales sucked. It will be a sad day for sure to see those great Cds melt...:( So grab it while you can...;)

By the way, I love the Access Denied CD!

I have seen those holes too...

My guess is that they were "destroyed" because of the publishing company...

As a label,  I have to pay a certain amount for every CD pressed to the publishing company. If I don't sell all the cds, I can get some of the money back, if I destroy the unsold cds! To do so, I have to go to a classified "destroying company", and I can get some of the money back. I think they usually destroy them completly (burn them or something), but in the "hole case", they probably did it a bit differently... I don't think they are promos...

With other words, this explains why CDs become so rare... They are burned! I am actually going to the "destroying company" soon to burn a few hundred Quality Relaxation (Chill Tribe Records) cds. The CD sales sucked. It will be a sad day for sure to see those great Cds melt...:( So grab it while you can...;)

By the way, I love the Access Denied CD!

434501[/snapback]

Wow, that is sad that you have to burn a portion of a project you created and were excited about sharing with others. Sorry about that, PKS. Do you have much insight into why the disk didn't sell well?

Do you have much insight into why the disk didn't sell well?

The biggest reason is probably because most people download it for free instead of buying it... Someone put it out for free download allready the same day as it reached the shops... Even some friends of mine downloaded it instead of supporting, so I'm starting to understand how big this problem has become... There is also obviously a very small number of people on this planet who like this kind of music..., which is for me a BIG mystery... :(

The biggest reason is probably because most people download it for free instead of buying it... Someone put it out for free download allready the same day as it reached the shops... Even some friends of mine downloaded it instead of supporting, so I'm starting to understand how big this problem has become... There is also obviously a very small number of people on this planet who like this kind of music..., which is for me a BIG mystery...  :(

434855[/snapback]

even friends :blink: ?

did u tell them that your comp is not pressed in millions of copies for mainstream sales?

even friends :blink: ?

did u tell them that your comp is not pressed in millions of copies for mainstream sales?

Yes, they knew... It was obviously more important for them to save the money, instead of supporting. Still, they wanted the music, so they downloaded it... Same goes for the majority of psy listeners. They want the music, but don't support the labels/artists...

I have had several funny experiences. Several people sent me e-mails with looong stories about how much they had enjoyed the compilation, how it "saved their summer", thanked me etc. Really great stories, but at the end of the e-mails, they often wrote; "I downloaded it from....". Should I laugh or cry? :(:D:unsure:

Yes, they knew... It was obviously more important for them to save the money, instead of supporting. Still, they wanted the music, so they downloaded it... Same goes for the majority of psy listeners. They want the music, but don't support the labels/artists...

I have had several funny experiences. Several people sent me e-mails with looong stories about how much they had enjoyed the compilation, how it "saved their summer", thanked me etc. Really great stories, but at the end of the e-mails, they often wrote; "I downloaded it from....". Should I laugh or cry? :(  :D  :unsure:

434865[/snapback]

Wow, again, sorry to hear that. I'm from an older generation and don't understand the whole downloading thing. To me music has always been accessible as far as I can afford it, and maybe once in a while I get a copy of an album from friends. The albums I feel I must have, I buy. The runners-up that I'd like to hear but can't afford remain a mystery.

For your "friends" to download the album is a complete farce.