Title: Mad Different Methods

Format: CD (digipack w/DJ slip)

Label: Parvati Records (Denmark)

Cat. #: PRVCD11

Distribution: Wirikuta

Date: 26 January 2006

Track listing:

01. 08’39” Naked Tourist – Mad Different Methods

02. 07’58” Double R.E.L. – Prehysterical Moments (Naked Tourist Remix)

03. 07’49” Naked Tourist – Chopper

04. 08’07” Naked Tourist – Noname

05. 07’51” Limbogott – Hirnfräse (Naked Tourist Remix)

06. 08’24” Naked Tourist – Asylunatic

07. 08’22” Naked Tourist – Backup Paranoia

08. 08’00” Naked Tourist – Fairchild

+ hidden after 3’07 minutes of silence:

00. 07’11” Naked Tourist – Hidden Track

Review:

Dilated pupils…

Naked Tourist are German hard-trancers Martin (Z-Neo) & Björn (DJ Iguana) and I’ve been looking forward to this debut album for a long time… I really have a soft spot for their drug-crazed, acid-ridden, relentless night trance, and pretty much all compilation tracks I heard from these guys have been pure gold… Also, it’s Parvati Records releasing it which IMHO always vouches for a quality release… Nuff said, on with the music…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Naked Tourist – Mad Different Methods [146 BPM]

“It’s like mad different methods to the way I do my shit…” The title track opens with a bad-ass gangsta sample, that looks pretty cheesy on paper, but it actually works pretty well here… The track itself is a typical NT track: Heavily fragmented psytrance – packed to the rim with funny voice-samples and experimental twists and turns… All kept within a framework of acid-ridden, pumping night trance… Just what you’d expect = satisfaction in recognition… Tasty opening track! ;o)

#02: Double R.E.L. – Prehysterical Moments (Naked Tourist Remix) [145 BPM]

“Each little bone can tell us a story. We can look at the articulations of the bone, how they fit together and the mechanics […]” This is a remix to a Double R.E.L. track originally released on the 2005 Doof Records compilation Booo… I’m not familiar with the original, so I can’t really comment on the treatment… Anyway the track opens with a palaeontologist sample and quickly turns into a regular stomp-fest… Kinda minimal at first, but soon enough the flood gates of psychedelia are opened… Yeah, this is pure dancefloor psychedelia – just listen to the raven-peak @ 4’59! Brilliant! A fine track riddled in samples and with enough twirling acid lines to satisfy most urban hippies… I dig it!

#03: Naked Tourist – Chopper [147 BPM]

“Listen to the sounds of the wind around you! … This music… It’s beautiful!” The guys start with another funny sample before unleashing the fiercest bassline so far… It’s accompanied by en eerie, haunting melody-line and a bunch of spacy, sonic tweaks… And yeah, I guess you could draw the comparison to chopper-sounds too… The video-game FX are very well-chosen and the build-up/climax part is destined to tear any dancefloor apart… Hold on to your hats – this is a psychedelic rollercoaster ride! It’s maybe a little too fast for a brief moment, but generally I like it…

#04: Naked Tourist – Noname [146 BPM]

Halfway thru the album the guys present the scariest track so far – this is dark, haunting, atmospheric night trance… A steady, evil-bassline is accompanied by an array of distorted synth-stabs… The industrial link is evident and basically this is the meanest I’ve ever heard from Naked Tourist… This is indeed a solid piece of haunting night-trance, but frankly I like the guys better when they lighten up a little…

#05: Limbogott – Hirnfräse (Naked Tourist Remix) [147 BPM]

I don’t have first-hand knowledge about Limbogott, but some quality Google time reveals the band as a German industrial/nu-metal outfit not unlike Marilyn Manson, Korn or Slipknot… The track Hirnfräse is featured on their debut album One Minute Violence and I’ve only heard fragments of it… This remix kicks some major ass though and posses even more energy than the original... It’s like a big waterfall of acid… Fast-paced, aggressive, paranoia-inducing psytrance… Like the perfect trance-sound track to the two Saw movies… Brilliantly done… I’m impressed!

#06: Naked Tourist – Asylunatic [147 BPM]

“Crank me lunatic…On drugs! … This feels right!” This track is a remix to Naked Tourist’s own track Lunatic Asylum released on the 2005 Parvati compilation Psychedelically Yours 3… You recognize elements from the original, but mostly this is a new track… The rich industrial elements from the previous track are still present and this is some pretty murky stuff… The acid-level is still very high, and the playful twirling acid-lines strike a notable contrast to the evil bassline… As in the original track, the final run down is a real treasure… Pure nocturnal bliss!

#07: Naked Tourist – Backup Paranoia [146 BPM]

Paranoia-noia-noia-oia! A seemingly chilled, harmonic intro is soon brutally shredded to pieces by some severely demented synth experimentation – that’s also the start of some hard-core tweakage which ultimately makes this the most trip-friendly track of the album… It’s less dark than the previous tracks, and has some really impressive uplifting bits and pieces… But don’t get me wrong – this is still very much night trance… And of course we get another healthy acid overdose… Brilliant!

#08: Naked Tourist – Fairchild [147 BPM]

The last track is not really the last track – but more about that later… What we get here is more trademark Naked Tourist mayhem… Border-crossing, fragmented, funny night trance with loads of samples and an endless supply of acid… Pretty good, but I feel it lacks some of the energy and I-don’t-give-a-fuck attitude of some of the previous tracks…

#00: Naked Tourist – Hidden Track

“His mind is lost!” Track #8 runs for eight minutes and after approximately three minutes of silence comes the hidden, nameless track… What’s extra cool about this is that it’s a full-length track running for over seven minutes… Cool! A hidden track like this is a welcomed opportunity for experimentation and that’s exactly what the guys do here… This is a very interesting odd-ball track – a hybrid with influences from an array of genres like psytrance, IDM, acid, tech-trance, progressive trance, etc… And it works really, really well… It’s a hidden gem!

When was the last time Parvati Records let you down? … I didn’t think so! This is indeed a fine debut album from one of Germany’s finest night trance exports… There are no bad tracks here, and most of the tracks are real fucking sweet… So, anyone who liked the compilation tracks so far will love this album… It’s just what you’d expect + a lot more!

The glossy digipack cover art is pure eye-candy as we’ve come to expect from Parvati, and the DJ case friendly tracklist will come in handy to Case Logic diciples… All in all, this is a great, value-for-money package that I will not hesitate to give my warmest recommendations… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 2(!), 5(!), 6(!), 7(!) + the hidden track

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Parvati Records: http://www.parvati-records.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/614222

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/cyfwv

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/djzy8

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/92x97

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/ey4fp

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/djzy8

Aah, Parvati back on track :) Haven't enjoyed their releases that much since Tits on Fire, but this is a really great album and the hidden track is a marvelous way to end the quite heavy journey this album takes you on.

8/10

this album actually suprized me very intilligent psychedelic trance,

well is it dark psychedelic trance,

the atmosphere is indeed dark what is a good thing,

but the way naked tourist uses it typical sound is pretty much what I look within the concept goa,

this one scores and will be played more then one time,

advice for people who don't like dark psychedelic trance,

just give it a shot, you might like it ;)

Artist: Naked Tourist

Album: Mad Different Methods

Label: Parvati Records

Web: http://www.parvati-records.com/

CAT: prvcd11

Sonic-Energy: http://www.sonic-energy.net/core/content/view/165/2/

Posted Image

Tracks:

01. Mad Different Methods [146 BPM's]

02. Prehysterical Moments [145]

03. Chopper [147]

04. Noname [146]

05. Hirnfräse [147]

06. Asylunatic [147]

07. Backup Paranoia [146]

08. Fair Child [147]

What's This about?

After much anticipation and a number of great teaser’s in varied compilations, the two Berlin freaks have released a full-length album to sink your teeth into a palpable concept of the Naked Tourists. Working together since 1999 Z-neo brings his production into play with a background in break-beat and psy trance. Mixing in the pot DJ Iguana (co-founder of Noise Poison Records with Highko) translates the work based on his experience of dance-floor madness, with a compelling and certainly explosive proposal. The output is a consistent collection of tracks pitching and building on fast paced rhythms, spilling innovative psychedelia by every pore in their hasty ride.

Per-song Break down

1. Mad Different Methods *

The album opens branding the goods much like In Megalopy’s debut last year. I’m not entirely fond of this, but I can appreciate the potential for live gigs. It beats those green lasers spelling your name, if you ask me. We take off with bouncy squeakers and metallic samples looping in the background. It eventually builds to a detuned line resonating like a harp from hell, filling out the theme nicely.

2. Double REL – Prehysterical Moments

This remix had been in the works well since last year, when Double REL announced in our interview the tourist’s had picked a tune to deconstruct. I’m not very familiarized with this track in particular but it can notice the absence of the Double REL bass lines, and lot more play and squeak on the upper ranges. I like it. From what I can tell the track structure on the bare bones is the same, but is clear there are a number of new goodies on top. And what the hell did they do to that crunched synth retreating and palpitating is beyond me, but helps closing the chapter with originality.

3. Chopper *

Like the name indicates this is about a helicopter. We take off with a really sweet toothed kid sample by the beginning, which is turning real trendy (take mental note). The sounds of the rotor engine gyrating translate firstly as a panning game in low gear much like a bass. As we gain altitude the line propels us right to the apex with a never ending pick up. It’s nice to see they really infused the sounds, making them an integral part of the work and not an expendable tail rotor. One of my personal favorites.

4. No Name *

This the enchanting story of a robot (with no name) that was on his way to… god knows where. Point being, he was on the path and suddenly every single nut and bolt of his metallic being started convulsing in strange ways, clearly not fitting of his design. Suffering from the Akira syndrome (Anime otaku reference), his extremities grew disproportionately at gigantic measures, as the metal planks that surrounded his skeleton clanked and scrapped against the floor, many times simply snapping from it’s socket in loud and hypnotizing ruckus. The horrendous sound of his hollow body inflating could be heard for miles. The growth reached a critical point before the poor bastard imploded in a loud squelching fart, taking with him all the air of his bulging self. The incident has been denominated as the worse case of robotic indigestion in recorded history.

5. Limbogott - Hirnfräse (Naked Tourist Remix) *

I have no idea whom Lobogott might be but this track makes me wish I would have run into that name earlier. On to the story, we can hear growling and vicious samples with Pantera-like screams and a sweet break that reminds a lot of prodigy. Over all a quasi Sepultura kind of mix with savage psy build making it make it work together. Top notch… wow.

6. Asylunatinc *

“Cranky lunatics… on drugs” describes the feel of this remix very aptly, originally showcased on Psychedelically Yours 3 last year. I never got around that one, so I’m not sure how the originally story went, but this is very dynamic –once again- fast paced throwing a decent builder. The whole thing should standout in a live situation, but when you listen to the whole thing sequentially, it seems the album is deluged of them pitchy builders that don’t really stray too far from each other. So for the good or the bad it’s best to adjust yourself to them.

7. Backup Paranoia

A long winded intro with spacey tunes and samples, loads into full gear after roughly a minute. The outer space elements and the voices remain while the kicks run this show. The paranoia inducing elements count primarily as the scratchy lead, progressing right into a full threaded catchy line jumping all over, inviting the listener to stomp around or else. The melodies and the energy invoke South African elements, which becomes more apparent in this chapter more than ever.

8. Fair Child & Secret track *

“All we have is each other… without that we have nothing” The lines keep rumbling with a delightful number of drumming action accompanying those kicks in a classic N style that has become ever so evident in this release. Moving as fuck and intentionally riff-ridden to close the collection of mad different methods, that albeit could have offered a bit more diversity… that is until you fast forward to minute eleven.

Inside we are treated to material not fitting in the official content of this album, primarily because it’s a lot more playful, the grind core influences and electronic textures feel strangely retro 80’s funk, seeding a whole new style that could well be developing in their latter works. Don’t let it stagnate.

* Favourites

All and All

Notwithstanding the commitment of Mad Different Methods to dance floor ruthlessness; the classy touches in previous works like the remix of “Three Lines in a Row” (Hocus Peakus) and the hidden gem in this album… make it undeniable there is a fun aspect to their production building up to funky. It’s brooding underneath in their essence. Seeing this side develop in the future is something I will be monitoring closely. Presently the album delivers what was promised, a pack of thrillers to shake a leg on the dance floor, the bush, in your bedroom and possibly the shower. Not forgetting the intense brainwave workout that characterizes Parvati’s work. If you actually spin, it’s certain the material will be shaping your sets in the months to follow. In a few words I think its fuckentastic, nicely done Mr. Iguana-mon and Dr. Z.

Where to Get:

- http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=5474

- http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/zen/zen1cd005.html

- http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2597

- http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...owDetail=109399

Very good debut album. No bad tracks on it and some very nice tracks like Hirnfräse (I love those jungle amens at the break), Asylunatic, No name and the secret track..

i would give it a 10/10 if there was some more diversity in the tracks, they kind off have the same style from melodies imo

Have to agree with most people here this is great music!

I give it a 9/10!

And I really found out how this mind altering music worked after I tried it with a joint in my mouth and some sweet ass headphones and I cranked it up! OH my god! That is something I can recorment to everydody :rolleyes:

:ph34r:

Fuckin great shit....

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to spoil the general positive trend here but personally I'm much less enthusiastic about this album than others. Now I'm not saying this is bad either, simply that latley there have been SO many killer releases in the dark psy genre that this one seems a little pale in comparison. I liked it a lot when I first got it but after a few weeks it just seemed too loud and screechy and the tracks all seemed to have the same vibe taking massive influence from Detroit techno. (PS why is it that German psy producers always have to put Detroit techno elements in their tracks?). And although this has the dark trance trademark fast rolling bassline, it isn't really "dark", like I said, the general atmosphere is more techno-ish than trance-ish (or in other words, more "E-friendly" and less "LSD-friendly"...) ;)

Sorry, maybe if I haven't heard stuff like Derango, Para Halu, Psyfactor, Penta, etc. etc. before then I would've given this a high mark but once you compare it with other releases it doesn't deserve more than a 6/10 IMO...

PS for the hidden track... yes, nice breakbeat track, I'd call it more drum&bass than anything else :)

hmm i think it is better than penta's and psyfactors album.. para halu and derango their latest albums can compete with it, but i still prefer naked touris cuz of the nice psychedelic flow you have

but everyone his own taste off course

the tracks all seemed to have the same vibe taking massive influence from Detroit techno. (PS why is it that German psy producers always have to put Detroit techno elements in their tracks?).

486115[/snapback]

:blink:

Are you sure you listened to the right album? I have to agree with you that it´s not really dark, far from, but Detroit influences... come on, I can´t hear any influences of Detroit techno. No offence, but do you even know what you are talking about?

heh well Detroit techno is a pretty broad genre :) what I mean is that there are no atmospheres, just these screechy fast repetitive sounds. That for me is techno music, as oposed to trance which deals in atmospheres (dark or light...). Hope this explains a bit :)

there is atmosphere enough for me.. and every track has an unique thing which makes it cool even though they are pretty much same style..

fa: No name has a very groovy bassline towards the half of the song, i think it is one of the best baseline melodies i have ever heard in psytrance

you've never heard Ocelot or Ghreg on Earth then...  :P

489286[/snapback]

so now you like Ghreg on earth? what happened here :o

personally i think the nicest bass line they have is "three lines in a row (rmx) in hocus peakus, man that triple line after the break is sweeettt, but i have to agree noname is pretty decent too.

personally i think the nicest bass line they have is "three lines in a row (rmx) in hocus peakus, man that triple line after the break is sweeettt, but i have to agree noname is pretty decent too.

489405[/snapback]

Three Lines in a Row remix is how they snatched me to their side, everything I heard before that I thought was just average and I had no doubt about this album, somehow I knew this was going to kick some serious ass :D

so now you like Ghreg on earth? what happened here  :o

489400[/snapback]

well you persuaded me to give his album a try and I'm glad I did ;) I'll come up with a full review of Sigilweaver in a few weeks after I've listened to it a bit more