Hallucinogen - Overrated?

Cinos

Now, if we look at his first album purelym objective, the only tracks that do anything new are pretty much LSD and Shamanix. The rest is mostly boring stuff, even by the standards of that time.

The Lone Deranger features Trancespotter and Horrorgram, while the rest isn't anywhere as good. Still, IMHO.

So. Do you think he's overrated? :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, if we look at his first album purelym objective, the only tracks that do anything new are pretty much LSD and Shamanix. The rest is mostly boring stuff, even by the standards of that time.

The Lone Deranger features Trancespotter and Horrorgram, while the rest isn't anywhere as good. Still, IMHO.

So. Do you think he's overrated?  :)

423954[/snapback]

Hallucinogen is NOT that overrated. Simon Posford is... IMO

but, paradoxically i disagree with you.

I wouldnt say Orphic Thrench or Snarling Black Mabel or Fluoro Neuro Sponge

are "mostly boring stuff" , especially by the standards of that time.,

Don't know about Hallucinogen being overrated, but topics about it/him definitely are. ;)

also, I think LSD is not that great of a track - definitely the most accessible though, and remixed enough times to be very well known.

Don't know about Hallucinogen being overrated, but topics about it/him definitely are. ;)

also, I think LSD is not that great of a track - definitely the most accessible though, and remixed enough times to be very well known.

423980[/snapback]

thats it! thats why his music was so popular back then - there are lots of elements [or whatever you call that] that sounded like they have been taken from some 90s techno-pop style music[mainstream], and thats why he might sound dated to someone, at least thats what i heard in few of his tracks, i dont know about all of his tracks, but some of them are pretty superficial, with IMO pretty accesible style. maybe thats the reason he was and still is so popular.

he might be not as twisted as it seems :)

but thats my opinion so far

Edited by reger

actually I think a lot of his tracks are brilliant, and groundbreaking - more than from any other psy artist in the 90s. But of course not everything he's made is great - there are some mediocre tracks as well.

This topic is unneccesary. It's like asking if eating and breathing are overrated.

Whether you appreciate the Master's work is irrelevant, the fact is Simon Posford's death will trigger the destruction of our beloved planet. You might consider this bullshit but it is written in the Bible, the Quran and the Torah. Even Dr Seuss mentions it in one of his books.

423954[/snapback]

Hmmm, I loved Alpha Centauri as well... anyways, I think he deserves the name and rumour hes got, hes hell of a producer, and I like his music. This is my personal opinion though.

I think that he gets hyped a lot, but hey, its his fortune... wouldnt you like to have the same? Especially if you are as talented as he is?! :)

This topic is unneccesary. It's like asking if eating and breathing are overrated.

Whether you appreciate the Master's work is irrelevant, the fact is Simon Posford's death will trigger the destruction of our beloved planet. You might consider this bullshit but it is written in the Bible, the Quran and the Torah. Even Dr Seuss mentions it in one of his books.

424109[/snapback]

lol, this has to be the best post of the week style :) You are truly a master mate :)

I'm going to try and get Charlie a date with Simon.

Actually, Charlie...are you sure you want to come to this party in March? Are you just going to stand there and wet your pants with excitement?? :huh:

I'm going to try and get Charlie a date with Simon.

Actually, Charlie...are you sure you want to come to this party in March?  Are you just going to stand there and wet your pants with excitement??  :huh:

424119[/snapback]

I'm gonna run up to him and rub his thighs, maybe kiss his hand, they'll throw me out of course, probably beat me up too, but it will be worth it.

I'm gonna run up to him and rub his thighs, maybe kiss his hand, they'll throw me out of course, probably beat me up too, but it will be worth it.

424125[/snapback]

*note to self* keep at least 10 paces away from Charlie at all times :unsure:

Hallucinogen is overrated but at the same time it's also overbashed.

I have tried to find the reasons why he has become so popular/overrated and I have come to conclusion:

- TITS!!!

- Ass

- Hallucinogen vids on MTV 24/7

- Pie

- $$$$$$$ used on marketing

- TITS!!!

- More pie

- Nakid girrrls

I mean.. what else it could be?

:ph34r::P

hallucinogen is definitely not my style, I dislike it a lot, goa is not my thing, so my comment would be somehow irrelevant

but shpongle is for sure overrated imo... I do listen to lots of different styles of chill, so its not like I dont like the genre or smt.. I dont think shpongle anything special, it doesnt have good directions in the tracks, the samples are not well used, etc etc..

Now, if we look at his first albums

423954[/snapback]

By starting off your thread topic as "Hallucinogen Overated?" ... then asking if people think "he's" overrated, I'm uncertain whether you're talking about Hallucinogen or Postford, since Postford has done other works since Hallucinogen. Hallucingen seems to be what you're focused on, unless you mean both of them, combined, as one...

I think Hallucinogen's overrated only in the minds that expect or hope he will release another album we consider amazing, groundbreaking. Many people have come to associate such big words to Hallucinogen because there was no sound like Hallucinogen back than and there wasn't since.

As far as Hallucinogen's current work. To talk about that may be more objective I think because his release(s) on the Gran Turismo 4 soundtrack, for example, were nothing to get excited over, and yet I'm sure some people got excited just because one or two tracks have the "Hallucinogen" name attached. So that's when I shake my head and think, "It's just not the same." It's overrated because I'm sure those who got excited wouldn't have if THAT name wasn't attached.

TWISTED. People certainly didn't seem to consider Hallucinogen overrated when Twisted released. The Lone Deranger. Same goes for this one. I was very impressed. It was actually the very FIRST goatrance album I gave a 10/10 to I think.

We can look back at anything and feel or think different of it. That's the whole point of being retrosptive, and having perspective. Were these albums impressive then? ...

If you answered yes, then it did it's job, whether it's dated now or not, hopefully it will stay special and classic forever. Unfortunately, as time goes by, things that have been put so high up on a pedestal are usually questioned... It's like as we mature, out outlook matures or changes too, but does it mean Hallucinogen is overrated? Ask yourself, was it overrated when you first heard it.. that should help answer the question. Now has the man become overrated is a better question IMO.

The man hasn't released a main Hallucinogen album in 8 fucking years! There's nothing to judge or review, other than Shpongle! We seem to talk about artist Postford maybe a bit too much. I feel he's recieved the attention and credit he's deserved for his ellaborate, ambitious, imaginative, most excellent works. Keeping him alive by a thread popping up on these forums every month is cool. Such great work deserves attention... but TOO much attention makes him and his music seem more than they actually are. It may be around that point that some of us may start to question our initial thoughts and feelings about the artist and his music.

hallucinogen is probly the most deranging mind twisting music i know, but really... a bit too dark and fucked up for me... for goa im more of a cosmosis or D5 kinda guy... B) and if i want the darker more wild & twisted goa, then total eclipse, mfg, planet ben or pleiadians will do me better... B) hallucinogen just always had a slightly nervewracking upsetting feeling to it...

...said the guy with such avatar... :P

424273[/snapback]

nah seraph, i always thought i had more of a green nuns'ish kinda avatar... if i wanted a hallucinogen'ish avatar, id pick some av of some homeless crackhead shooting up

and this is SOOO true for the kinda avs i like, i think green nuns fits my personality best...