dark stuff, but the way I want it plz

RTP

Okay, I got a request. I want some dark stuff. But the point is, I want dark stuff the way I want it ... I checked out the last "Dark Psy" thread and the artists mentioned there (those that I knew) are way too aggressive to me ... too "psy", you know? I seek dark psy that is not really psy ... and still though. Can't explain it very well, please read the description.

Let me describe it:

I want some psy that would fit as a soundtrack when you run through an abandoned city after a nuclear incident. Something that captures the atmosphere. I want it dark, but yet not psychedelically disturbing, because in empty cities there's nothing aggressive and disturbing - there's in fact some strange kind of peace there, but it's a deadly, uncomforting peace. I want music that has this atmosphere but is still progressing (meaning I do not seek dark ambient!). Somewhat "post-nuclear psy", you know?

What tunes would you say fit in such a situation?

(Yes, I confess, this IS inspired by those images of the abandoned Tschernobyl area...)

I have only one example for the music that I'm looking for: Prex - S4.

Dark music, but not too psychedelically dark, rather somewhat psychic dark if you know what I mean ... but not too dark yet, it's just ... the right stuff.

Any recommendations?

Please!

First of all thanks for recommendations :)

I checked samples.

Voice Of Cod: that sounds okay, but it's too psychedelic ... feels like a layer of transparent fractals put on the pictures if you know what I mean...

And besides I can hear Colin's voice in it and you know, it reminds me of the one of a radio moderator and that doesn't contribute to a darkness feeling ... hehehe ... :)

Synthia System: that sounds actually like a good track :) ... this one I will remember ... but it has also not the "nuclear-ness", this dark kind of peace of abandoned cities...

Time Lock: hmmm ... the effects are somewhat too razor-sharpish for me in a way to enjoy it...

I would want something with darkish synths, but not too many and not too sharp effects over them...

but thanks anyway :)

I would try some psy tech trance....

Like Opsis perhaps.

Nuclear Ramjet (gotta be some nuclear stuff there)

Check out Aeon and Headstick Records.

Also some Tim Schuldt "Theory of Gravitation" for instance.

Best Wishes

Krell

I thin k what you want is "The Delta", check out the album Send in Send back , very dark pounding wihout psychedelichs.

Or if you like Prex, check out the Old Noma ALBum from Spiral Trax, i9ts very dark, Noma is one half of prex.

Or check out Beat Bizarre, especially their first album LEWD, you ll love it!!

Hmmm...

Opsis is ... strange stuff ... not my cup of tea. It has a rather industrialied sounding to it occasionally ... but it would rather remind me of the horror game Silent Hill (especially the track "Opened And Examined") than of a fallout scenario. The disturbing peace is missing, you know?

Nuclear Ramjet is somewhat better. Hits the spot better :)

"Operation Northwood" has kinda the peacefulness in the synths that I want! But the beat is too fast. And the other songs by Nuclear Ramjet are ... again not what I seek.

The Delta I know something of.

Is their "Send In Send Back" album like the Thing? Because this track has a wonderfully peaceful-disturbing synth part in the middle, but then it again gets so ... ewww ... I guess I just don't want this kind of bass and beats. That's why I don't checked out more of The Delta ... because I think they will have this beat in their other songs too and singe the Thing is something people refer to as unique I don't think their other stuff comes close ... will check though...

(now I checked and it's as I said ... not the stuff I want right now ... I'll put it on my list though, it's good...)

Noma I know ... he did Prex together with S-Range. But Noma or S-Range alone don't quite do the trick. Noma is too prog and too fast and S-Range too fluffy for this kind of dark music I seek.

Also, don't be misled by other Prex tunes. S4 is the only one of them I know that hits the spot!

Also Beat Bizarre I know ... I have almost the complete Lewd album from back of my download times. But that's not quite what I search for either :)

hey you, know ... back in the day NIN did the score for some game in ID, i think it was an old doom, i don't remember which game was it to be honest... i had the CD... i used to listen to it when writting. It wasn't music as such, more like... industrial accompaniment to the game... i'm sorry i can't provide more details, but if you had the cd of the game you could play it as a normal music... ill try to remember.

ok it was quake... either the first or the second:

http://nothing.nin.net/s4.html

getting the cd now seems rather impossible i would email ID soft, they included his score of the music even the trial version (which is the one i had), so i wouln't think it's such a big deal to try to hook ya up with it... it's pretty bleak, dark, industriual stuff... might serve you well

Yes, I know of that.

I even got myself some songs on mp3 back then.

It's good stuff. NIN did a great job!

The pieces are rather dark ambient-ish (at least the ones I dled) though - except the theme.

But thanks for the recommendation :)

Yollo

I also madly love the dark stuff.. when theres a good set in a club i almost cream my self..

have a look at this DJ's site..

http://www.adamwiggins.com/

live internet radio performance archive:

theres a bit near the top to download a set he did and its spot on... just ashame its in LA other wise i would go to see him

for non psy things have a look at

covernant

http://www.covenant.se/

hope this helps a little

Well Mr RTP, or Dr Tropical as I like to call you -- - this is for you

XENOMORPH - HAUNTED

Thank you very much for the recommendations :)

MOS, Terminator or Spirallianz are good, but not right the stuff I want ... but thanks anyway :)

Ghreg on Earth - SIGILWEAVER

420907[/snapback]

I didn't know Ghreg before. It's actually good and very dark stuff. But it's too blowing for the stuff I am seeking here. But I'll definitely keep it in mind, because sometimes I'm in the mood...

check this out

420910[/snapback]

Hey ... is that your own project? Nice clear sound, good production! Although the sound is not quite what I look for. It's progressing and rather dark, but the "abandonedness" in the synths is missing unfortunately. It's the same thing that goes with most other recommendations too - good and dark, but too focused on only progression without synth melody...

Just judging from your description, I think you are looking for darker prog stuff.

You could try

Freaking - Depravation Chambers

Karavena - Space Infection

Audiobelle - Figure

Neoris - Last Mission of Atomic Submarine

421070[/snapback]

Yes! Those are some great recommendations - except maybe the Freaking track, this one I don't like so much...

But the NEORIS one is perfect! Absolutely perfect! Finally this one has got those peculiar "post-nuclear" peaceful synth melody that I am looking for and also the progression! YEY! Really really good! Listening to the sample already for the fourth time :)

And the Audiobelle one is very nice and grooving ... I like it also very much, although it has rather a warm background synth than a cold, dark, abandoned one, but I like this progressive style and thus it's still a very good track to me :)

And the Karavena is ok too.

well, because of this topic i listened to S4, didnt sound nuclearishy-abandoned to me :)

but keep them coming people, i am interested in this subject too :)!

so, RTP, u dont like nuclera ambient?

421130[/snapback]

Dude, I don't know what you define as "post-nuclear", but this definitely is aimed in that direction. The deep bassline, the semi-dark somewhat uncomforting synth and then the sharper, also uncomforting dark synths and the effects over it ... fits perfectly to a dead city with black-windowed empty grey houses towering to a sunless sky full of clouds and fog everywhere and many signs with "attention, radiation" and such...

Of course ambient would capture the uncomforting peace even more, but I don't want ambient now, I want progression.

But ... nuclear ambient? I know dark ambient, but not nuclear ambient? :huh: ... Is that another sub-genre?

have a look at this DJ's site..

http://www.adamwiggins.com/

live internet radio performance archive

421282[/snapback]

hey ... I already know the first track ... it's by Wrecked Machines :)

I'll probably listen to the full thing later...

Well Mr RTP, or Dr Tropical as I like to call you -- - this is for you

XENOMORPH - HAUNTED

421436[/snapback]

Eeeh ... why Dr Tropical ??? :huh::unsure:

Not a bad track BTW, but ... I ... again ... miss the loneliess in the synths :P ... well, kinda, I didn't get much to listen to them in the sample, they were there in the background at the end ... must make myself a clearer picture of that.

I also checked a few samples of the Intelligent Manipulation CD ... not bad, but what I heard wouldn't make me wanna get it. Thanks anyway :)

I know exactly what you mean with agressive music, I hate it myself and i have been looking all over for good dark psy

My favs are Procs, ghreg on earth & Freaking.

And personally I think if you want that kind of atmosphere you'd better check out the hardtek scene. :P

That's all about post-nuclear night-atmosphere.

Here's a bunch of free mp3 downloads of one of a hardtek artist: (low quality dl's :( but it gives you an idea ) Gotek

Check out TKQ 04 - awooda tribish , it's my fav of the whole page.

Check out TKQ 04 - awooda tribish , it's my fav of the whole page.

421474[/snapback]

euh ... well, that is, to be honest, absolutely not my cup of chai ... hehe ... I expected some beautiful synth melody and certainly not this :P

That is the problem. Most people connect dark psy with dark bass, dark effects and squishes, progression, darkness ... that is all well, but I do not seek this kind of dark psy. I want synth melodies. Somewhat melodic dark, hehe ... but not too melodic either. The Neoris track was a very good suggestion for what I am looking for :)

I checked other Neoris and they are not quite as good as the Submarine ... still, the synths are good in Dolphin's States for example too...

OK then, you want future buddha's kind of stuff?

check the schlabbadeurst compilations.

And check the first Elixiria compilation( & other suomi stuff). I remember a good "post-nuclear" track on the comp but i forgot the name and i'm too lazy too research it.