Steve Reich

Time_Trap

http://www.discogs.com/artist/Steve+Reich

I would classify his music as Neo-classical ... like.. experimental classical using innovative sample techniques...[rather.. used as the guy is born in 1936 .. dont know if he's still composing :unsure: ]

Discogz misses a lot of his discography... check Music For 18 Musicians as well as City Life

Early on, Reich was influenced by fellow minimalist Terry Riley's loosely-structured aleatoric works which combines simple musical patterns, offset in time, to create a slowly-shifting, cohesive whole. Reich adopted this approach to compose his first major work written in 1965: It's Gonna Rain... Reich moved on from the "phase shifting" technique he had pioneered to more elaborate pieces. He investigated other musical processes such as augmentation (the temporal lengthening of phrases and melodic fragments).

• 1 year later...

You haven't experienced real minimalistic music until you've heard Steve Reich. 25 minutes of, plong... plong... plong, and so forth will most certainly drive some people insane. It's a real challenge to listen to... or to be more exact, endure.

You haven't experienced real minimalistic music until you've heard Steve Reich. 25 minutes of, plong... plong... plong, and so forth will most certainly drive some people insane. It's a real challenge to listen to... or to be more exact, endure.

for sure. the first steve reich i ever head was some tape loop composition of a street preacher going off about the flood (you know, the one that got noah into the shipbuilding business).

Try listening to Music for 18 Musicians while your trying to fall asleep with headphones on. Its an amazing composition, very hypnotic. Its not the kind of music you put on when your friends are over and having some drinks but in the right context its incredible.

i think his tape music sucks though too.

• 8 years later...

As its the night of digging up old threads , Aphex, BOC how about Steve reich?!!

His new LP is due in a month! Weeeheeee!! :)

Since the first time I heard "Music for 18 musicians" in an awesomely insane stream from Mergi. I cannot get enough of it. The tune is stuck in my head.! Affixed! Stamped! Love it :)

Ah I see brother Mergi has already commented on it.. Plong plong plong seriously??? :o:D

I love him, and I would recommend with all my heart, Tangerine Dream, Global Communication, and Chicane - to those who want to explore this sound further.

And just, well, want MORE.

These artists do it masterfully, with Tangerine Dream being the obvious first step .

One of my favourites. I guess some of you will recognise parts of it :)

That is one of my favorites also! <3

Sounds like Tangerine Dream had heavy heavy influnece from this track, and always thought so.

Music for 18 Musicians is always going to be a cherished album.. and a milestone for psychedelic and hypnotic melodies.. yeah, for me this guy is truly psychedelic. He can definetely expand minds.

Thank you Steve