Ranting & endless web debates

SkeletonMan

Was just reading another thread here on psynews that turned into a mildly heated debate (the sample debate).

Actually, that thread may not be the best example to illustrate what I want to say as everybody was behaving themselves in that debate. At least on the first page (I didn't read it all). And I might add that I think that in general the tone is kept very nice and polite here. So I'm not bashing the debate milieu on psynews!

Still, sometimes, yes, even here on psynews, tempers get heated and when they get heated they get very heated and very fast!! It's one mistake or a wrong word and it's FUCK YOU you fucking two times fucked fucker !!! I'm sure most of us´ve tried it at some point. I know I have.:rolleyes:

Well, this just made me wonder why internet debates seems so easy to turn into these frenzies where everybody's going at it post after post after post ...? I mean, I can understand why it happens more often than IRL. On the web, it's easy. But maybe also because it's fun. Perhaps we are used to being so darn nice to each other all the time IRL, that the chance to bash someone for a detail even if it is SO not important, at the end of the day is nothing but a chance just TO BASH SOMEONE :D:angry:

If that's the case I need to review my feelings about heated debates. I mean, if it's just about emotions and testoteron it's part of life and psynews just a place where these emotions can be let out non-violently.

Anyhow, in line with these 2 cents ... fuck you all ! B)

Well, this just made me wonder why internet debates seems so easy to turn into these frenzies where everybody's going at it post after post after post ...? I mean, I can understand why it  happens more often than IRL. On the web, it's easy. But maybe also because it's fun. Perhaps we are used to being so darn nice to each other all the time IRL, that the chance to bash someone for a detail even if it is SO not important, at the end of the day is nothing but a chance just TO BASH SOMEONE  :D  :angry:

418735[/snapback]

this might interest you ... it's much to read, but take a look: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30703

The best is that our scene pretends to be all about respect and unity and spirituality while engaging in these things...and people wonder why there is nothing but crap being released now? Take a look at the heart, it's fucking dead.

naa its always been like this, the old 604 list was filled with assholes :)

418946[/snapback]

Exactly ! :-)

I think the 604 list was even worse - It became more of a politics and enviromentalist mailinglist at some point - then I quit.

At least there are moderators on the web forums :-)

The way I see it, people get mad because they feel strongly about certain things - Often when I feel myself getting mad and very harsh with people I know I have to take some time off debating on the internet... It can get quite frustrating at times, especially if you spend a lot of time doing it.

We fear what we dont understand(or not being understood) - fear leads to anger and anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering (So says yoda, thus are the ways of the force) :-)

The fact that the psychedelic community strives for balance, awareness, spirituality and many other things doesnt mean it has achieved it.

Best Wishes

Krell

this might interest you ... it's much to read, but take a look: http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30703

418893[/snapback]

Thanks! This was interesting. Two minds, one thought. Makes sense the part about not seing reactions IRL reflects on our actions.

I guess sometimes I have had an urge myself to bash someone for something, but if I resisted the urge and reacted with a laugh instead completely ignoring what made me mad, typically a nice response comes back. Whatever set the flamer off is completely forgotten and the conversation constructive and nice again. Also for me the importance of whatever set me off is completely forgotten seing that the flamer is cool again. Stuff like that does give one a sense of being in control and certainly it is much nicer than the instant thrill of telling some one off.

Now I just need to remember this B)

Hels, i can't believe you wrote this. how shallow. :) i hope you were joking.

contradictory dialogues, and even aggressive dialogues happen all over the internet where people interract. factors that influence and trigger these debates that can end up aggressive, are (connected between eachother):

- you interract with people you've never met. you don't know what type of personality, intelligence, emotional state they have.

- then, lack of eye contact, voice contact that "forces" you to have to sort of read between the lines, and sometimes the speech is not accurate and the language used is not "convenient" enough.

- language barriers are a strong factor. people think in their mother-tongue, and then they have to translate it to english to express themselves. surely, you can translate your text, and it's very clear to you, cause it comes from your brain. but for another person, your choice of words, may be less accessible, or accessible on different level. the person takes your text and his/her brain translates it and perceives in a third language. so some confusion or missunderstanding may appear in the way.

- the differentiation between people as: thinking & acting, behaviour and purpose online. if a person wants to get some information online, they'll make short dialogue and move on; if a person has time and likes to discuss, then that person gets a bit more involved and even debates a little but within non-aggressive limits; if a person wants everybody to aknowledge his/her ideas as being "the correct and ultimately true" they will push the debate to new levels, levels that themselves didn't even want to reach in the first place, but it's too late. also, if people have different purposes for getting online, they might get in conflict, if one steps in another's "process". that's why, for some people, a person may be lovely, and for others, same person may be annoying.

- multinational, multicultural level on internet. pretty obvious, our purpose for being on psynews may be the same, and that is information, music and people .. but we're still different people. we live different types of lives, different habbits, different social & economical levels, different jobs, different types of families, different decos, different relationships, different age, etc etc.

i think that's all. well, i could add other factors like "psycho" for example, but i don't wanna go in there. :D