Zoo-B (USTA Records)

ProSect

Today i've read this article (in israeli net news mag) with Zoo-B (the manager of USTA) that says psytrance is dead and was amazed by the bullshit he talks :o He's like talking about himself without noticing that...

It's on hebrew but here few quotes:

"The trance scene is no more exist, what's played nowadays its not the same music we did back then, we both sad about the trance and house got so commercial"

Hmm... They did? Commercial? USTA is the mother of commercial labels.

"Today the only reason to visit parties is the drugs"

So, why you orginize all this mega parties in Israel?

"One of the problems in psytrance is that in the 90's it was hard to make tracks, nowadays every kid that thinks he is an artist can make it with his computer, and lot of bad music was released in trance"

Says the guy who has the most big number of young unknown producers, who hardly paid anyone of them.

No comments. USTA.

ND

Guest Elysium

LOL good old Zoo-B. One can only laugh at him. He has never been part of the psy scene or anything remotely close to it. He wish he was though.

Tel-Aviv's party/label mafioso numero uno.... Well side by side with Bog ;)

LOL good old Zoo-B.  One can only laugh at him.  He has never been part of the psy scene or anything remotely close to it.  He wish he was though.

418720[/snapback]

exactly me and Kris never gave him a membership... he pleaded like hell though B)

Guest Elysium

we down on sunday for monthly meeting righ?

bring your toga!

418729[/snapback]

nope i've shiftet to a dirty traveller outfit and dreads. But the meeting is on.

Guest The Journey Man Project
:lol: it's funny... have been listening to all my old goa/psy and stuff... comparing the styles... it seems to me early israeli style was always much more melodic, often cheesey for even back then, and the u.k/euro style more focussed on the trip experience,a bit darker and often progressive... nothing has changed really at all excpet the technology... it really is the same music, just we;ve all istened to it way to much...

LOL good old Zoo-B.  One can only laugh at him.  He has never been part of the psy scene or anything remotely close to it.  He wish he was though.

Tel-Aviv's party/label mafioso numero uno....  Well side by side with Bog ;)

418720[/snapback]

Dude thats not entirely true.

In the mid-nineties ZooB and Krembo(the older name of USTA) WERE THE FACE OF TRANCE IN ISRAEL.They had the krembo shop in the old telaviv harbour and that was the only shop who sold trance in israel,releasing some milestone releases such as the first psychedelic krembo compi,Chakra & Edi mis etc.

Plus they had weekly club dates and such......with some seriously kick ass parties.So he definitly contributed to the development of the scene in israel and probably worldwide because he brought so many artists from abroad.

Having said that,its unbeleivable how a man who ruled such a big empire ,has fallen so fucking deep.For years we hear so many stories about unpayed artists,lame commercial events and i dont even wanna start talking about the quality level of the USTA releases.

Nuff' said

"The trance scene is no more exist, what's played nowadays its not the same music we did back then, we both sad about the trance and house got so commercial"

"Today the only reason to visit parties is the drugs"

"One of the problems in psytrance is that in the 90's it was hard to make tracks, nowadays every kid that thinks he is an artist can make it with his computer, and lot of bad music was released in trance"

I don't know - I hear exactly those same arguments every time someone decides to open a thread about how good it was X-years ago etc. The "scene" was about music, not the money; there was fewer releases and labels but they were all good; the drugs were mind-expanding and not mind-fucking; the parties were smaller, more spiritual and with better deco and so on and so on...

Many people here agree with this kind of argumentation, because old-school lovers are in majority here, so I can't understand what is so wrong in what he said? About the scene being dead? We have a topic like this every few weeks, but I for one know for sure it's not dead :)

I don't know - I hear exactly those same arguments every time someone decides to open a thread about how good it was X-years ago etc. The "scene" was about music, not the money; there was fewer releases and labels but they were all good; the drugs were mind-expanding and not mind-fucking; the parties were smaller, more spiritual and with better deco and so on and so on...

Many people here agree with this kind of argumentation, because old-school lovers are in majority here, so I can't understand what is so wrong in what he said? About the scene being dead? We have a topic like this every few weeks, but I for one know for sure it's not dead :)

419204[/snapback]

That's exactly what I was thinking!! The scene is dead since full-on took over bla, bla, bla... Now people who rant about this also put down Zoo-B. Kinda strange and :lol: to me.

But I agree that the scene is not dead at all, it has just changed.

Guest Elysium

Dude thats not entirely true.

In the mid-nineties ZooB and Krembo(the older name of USTA) WERE THE FACE OF TRANCE IN ISRAEL.They had the krembo shop in the old telaviv harbour and that was the only shop who sold trance in israel,releasing some milestone releases such as the first psychedelic krembo compi,Chakra & Edi mis etc.

Plus they had weekly club dates and such......with some seriously kick ass parties.So he definitly contributed to the development of the scene in israel and probably worldwide because he brought so many artists from abroad.

Having said that,its unbeleivable how a man who ruled such a big empire ,has fallen so fucking deep.For years we hear so many stories about unpayed artists,lame commercial events and i dont even wanna start talking about the quality level of the USTA releases.

Nuff' said

419183[/snapback]

Well since I was almost every 2nd/3rd week in Israel from 1995 - 1998 and also played for Zoo-B a few times and knew most of the artists involved at that time I can easily tell you that i am indeed correct.

The point is that he used not so nice ways to become bigger in the israeli scene. He would "ask" foreign artists to sign exclusive contracts so they could not play for anyone but him. He treatened smaller party organisers in Israel more than once. And later with USTA he took advantage of young hopeful "artists" and released one shitty fullon "factory" compilation after eachother. And sorry but there's never been anything psychedelic or even underground about Krembo or USTA. It was a money machine nothing more nothing less.

And yes he contributed to the scene. The commercial scene in Israel.

And it resulted in what we today know as IM, Astrix, Skazi, etc etc.

The real psychedelic scene was no way near him. People like Avichay and Peter from Avatar Records were the ones that pushed the psychedelic scene in Israel with the magic forest parties outside Jerusalem. They were also responsibel for bringing at that time psy artists and Dj's like:

Koxbox

Hallucinogen

Juno Reactor

Goa Gill

Elysium

Etnica

Dino Psaras

Joti

The Infinity Project

Tsuyoshi

Doof

Voodoo People

Transwave

Sid Shanti

The Flying Rhino's

The TIP'sters

Green Nuns Of The Revolution

etc etc etc etc.

Artists that also did play for Zoo-B once or twice and never again (after he presented them with his contracts and they found out what he did to other organisers in Israel).

But Peter/Avichay and also some Southafrican born israelis (Tomer and Karen)were responsible for bringing these artists and DJ's to Israel in the first place. Not Zoo-B!

I know my israeli trance story. I was a part of it too ;)

And now he try to apear as if he had no hands in how things went in Israel. He was one of the main reasons (with Eyal Bargan and later DJ "Mafiosi no2" Bog) why the scene is as it is today. He contradict himself in that article/interview and I can only laugh at it.

Edited by Elysium

this "they can only play for us" thing sucks big time

while we re making free outdoors around turkey

someone actually made a deal with israely artists (can be with him too but i am sure it is phonokol are they connected)

that they can only play at their parties

and they told me this as if it is something important

i laughed my ass off and told him we do not care

i for myself in our parties do not want big names

that is what f*cked the scene in my opinion

dj plays anything they like, anywhere they like, anytime they like

have these people never been to an actual PARTY

or do they think the word party means something else

i for my part know that this music will change too, and it should

but the idea behind the party situation stays

FREEEEEEE in EVERY SENSE OF THAT WORD

to keep it that way we ll evolve and stay underground and probably leave making parties and back up younger kids or we go mainstream and commercial there is no other way

I hope younger kids come up with new and creative ideas so crazy that it would be nearly impossible for me to listen to, but i ll be there backing them up

so f*ck all these people who think they ve become something while that something has become them

may sound offtopic but its not I guess

Guest Elysium

Now people who rant about this also put down Zoo-B.

Few of us here know the guy personally and know the true story of what his role was in Israel. Some of you dont :)

No one is putting him down. We just tell the story as it is. It's no secret to those artists and dj's who was part of the scene in those days that he did the things I wrote about in my previous post. So I am not gossipping or revealing "secrets" or putting him down.

But I think it's ok to laugh at his statements when he was a big reason to what he now in his interview consider "crap" in today's israeli trance scene. That's why i say he is contradicting himself.

Well, after reading Elysium's and El Brujo's comment I now get what it's all about - it's not what Zoo-B complains about, but rather who he is and how he contributed to the changes we've seen in last few years...

In this case, I'm upset about it aswell :(

Few of us here know the guy personally and know the true story of what his role was in Israel. Some of you dont :)

No one is putting him down. We just tell the story as it is. It's no secret to those artists and dj's who was part of the scene in those days that he did the things I wrote about in my previous post. So I am not gossipping or revealing "secrets" or putting him down.

But I think it's ok to laugh at his statements when he was a big reason to what he now in his interview consider "crap" in today's israeli trance scene.  That's why i say he is contradicting himself.

419320[/snapback]

Thanks for making that clear! :) I was really wondering what deal is with this thread. I don't know such "insight" stuff about party organisers or artists so I thought it was kinda strange that he gets laughed at when people here say the same things as he does. But now it looks more like he's a jealous guy just saying these things because his exclusive deals and stuff do not longer work for him.

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Zoo-B is a funny guy, he tried to launch Psytekk which was probably one of the crappiest artist from Israel (not mentionning , his first total ripped album from others israeli artists).

I just hope Optokoppler are/were/will be normally paid for their good debut album.

About Bog, it seems too there's a trend for bashing him (don't know the reasons). All i can say is that Com.Pact used to be a nice label but has completly fall in an easy & fast musical productions for kids since nearly 2 years.

Guest Elysium

All i can say is  that Com.Pact used to be a nice label but has completly fall in an easy & fast musical productions for kids since nearly 2 years.

419361[/snapback]

A little longer ;)

But I personally wont start a whole story about the guy. I got personal reasons to know what he's like and also know artists that do not feel he is a nice guy. That's all you get from me ;)

Guest Elysium

i don't know :)

i still like  the past Sesto Sento , Ultravoice & Lish albums.

419372[/snapback]

i was more thinking about the exploitation of young artists :)

Lish was cool enough. the rest was hmmm in my opinion ok but avaerage.