D-Nox & Beckers

amphiton

Well, I just don't like that the progressive psytrance is turning into disco house, that's all.

417162[/snapback]

If u ask dnox and beckers what style they make,im sure they will tell you its NOT PROGRESSIVE PSYTRANCE.

It sure ain't their fault that somehow their music got crossed over to the psy-scene,theyv'e been playing non-psy events for years(and still do) but now suddenly,they are all over the psy-scene.

As a matter of fact,there's not a pinch of psychedelic in their music ,and i think they are even very proud of this fact.They sucseed in rocking huge dancefloor with a different sound than skazi,infected etc etc.

Iimho their music doesnt fit in a full-range psychedelic party,but they do have a great spot in clubs and in outdoor festivals at the right time.

And the production quality of Beckers,is one of the best today in the whole dance scene, as far as im concerned.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Elysium

If u ask dnox and beckers what style they make,im sure they will tell you its NOT PROGRESSIVE PSYTRANCE.

It sure ain't their fault that somehow their music got crossed over to the psy-scene,theyv'e been playing non-psy events for years(and still do) but now suddenly,they are all over the psy-scene.

As a matter of fact,there's not a pinch of psychedelic in their music ,and i think they are even very proud of this fact.They sucseed in rocking huge dancefloor with a different sound than skazi,infected etc etc.

Iimho their music doesnt fit in a full-range psychedelic party,but they do have a great spot in clubs and in outdoor festivals at the right time.

And the production quality of Beckers,is one of the best today in the whole dance scene, as far as im concerned.

417634[/snapback]

Spot on!

I completely agree with Ace Ventura...

I really don't see anything psychedelic in their music, but it's definitely quality work, and it has its place around... but i think it's a bit random to see them in psy events and such...

I really don't see anything psychedelic in their music, but it's definitely quality work, and it has its place around... but i think it's a bit random to see them in psy events and such...

417646[/snapback]

hehe as I said.. the problem is the labeling "psy event".

Let us call them.. hmmm.. party.. yeah.. party sounds good ;) E-music party!

Guest Elysium

417646[/snapback]

They never asked to be booked at psy parties and festivals. But of course if people are willing to pay them to play at psy parties/festivals then they would be fools not to say yes. Simply because most artists like to have a wide as possible audience and bookings. And as Ace wrote. They have done very well the last 10 years. Especially D-Nox as a DJ as far away for the psy-scene as possible.

So blame the organisers at your kilarghhhh parties and festivals for booking them. Personally I think it's cool that some diversity is finally getting into the Festivals. It's on high time. Now we just have to wait and see how kilarghhhhh Full Moon will be this year ;)

btw, as for tiga.. tiga makes some very weird and many times not-so-nice music.. but the one dnox plays in some of his mixes, 'you gonna want me' is quite good, with catchy vocals

417360[/snapback]

Those vocals without refined tuning.. they're fantastic! It's a mix of sensuality, harshness.. I've seen Breno UNG & Renato Bastos playing this outdoors.. at the beach of Ipanema in Rio.. with the sun setting... 7h30pm.. Sunday.. Finishing the weekend..

IT IS VERY CLASSY... ;)

I found out about this song on a D-Nox Mix

Mr. Ace Ventura is definitely right, but keep in mind that both have been very active in the german psyscene for years, Beckers as Space Safari has been a regular on psylabels and psyparties since I can remember, and D-Nox used to run Tatsu records. Hence the link with the psyscene, even though their music isnt psy at all.

Mr. Ace Ventura is definitely right, but keep in mind that both have been very active in the german psyscene for years, Beckers as Space Safari has been a regular on psylabels and psyparties since I can remember, and D-Nox used to run Tatsu records. Hence the link with the psyscene, even though their music isnt psy at all.

417688[/snapback]

Finally, somebody who knows what he's talking about!

I'm sorry but if you think these guys don't have anything to do with the psy-scene, you haven't got a clue...

D-Nox's track "Muy Caliente" on Tatsu Rec's & Space Safari's "Early Reflections" album on Free Form Rec's are both from BEFORE 2000 & they're very psy indeed. Nowadays their style has evolved into a more housier kind of progressive but their roots definitly "glow in the dark" ...

They are not just club-dj's who happened to got picked up by the psy-scene.

They're psy-dj's who have broadend their horizons & picked up some elements from other musical genres like house, UK-progressive & electro (vocoder-voices) to make something new out of it.

Just like innovators such as SBK or Haldolium also have moved on, rather than do the same trick over & over again...

They are not just club-dj's who happened to got picked up by the psy-scene.

They're psy-dj's who have broadend their horizons & picked up some elements from other musical genres like house, UK-progressive & electro (vocoder-voices) to make something new out of it.

Exactly! They are psytrancers who went to house... Only thing I don't agree with is that they make something new and unique, because they don't...

I agree that they make some good music, but nothing "new"... But, yes, it is probably new for them...

And for those who says their style is something new and unique, I wonder how long you have been listening to house....?

:)

I dont like this 'old or new' discussion

maybe thats because in my opinion, there isnt such a thing as someone 'creating' music.. Music is out there.. Reality is out there.. you either let it flow through you, or not..

maybe something that you think sounds similar to something else, was very creative at the time, and was a really 'flowing' creation from that artist, or it can be something that you never heard before or you think its really new, but in fact its just some easy copying of already-existing things in an order that makes it non-recognizable for you

what I just said is not necessarily related to dnox and beckers, but just a note on this 'its new, its not new' discussion

And for those who says their style is something new and unique, I wonder how long you have been listening to house....?

:)

417975[/snapback]

Well spoken :-) This is the core of the matter.

I started out listening to house before I ever heard a Goa Trance track. Different kinds even.

Also minimal, electro - shit I even listened to dance :-)

New for the psy scene YES, new for the electronic scene NO.

@sherlockalien

I agree - Its not whether music is new or old that matters, its whether its good or bad. Most of the time in these discussions, who ever thinks something is good will automaticly think its "new" and "fresh", even though the stuff has been lying around for years in other genres.

The main path of innovation for the artists who perform within the psychedelic scenes goes through making crossovers into other genres - Or actually, starting to produce other genres completely with psychedelic trance influences (or basicly a psytrance background).

In essence, this creates mainly innovation within other genres than psytrance as such. Which is FINE, since other producers also get fed up with house and start producing progressive psy for instance. (It flows in both directions, the psychedelic scene is just OBSESSED with not dying, basicly since it is so much more than just music for many of us, it worries us).

Something that annoys me is when people start to become psy elitist "this is not psy", which only proves their ignorance as to the values of the goa scene (however, I cant refuse that somestimes I become like that myself - So, it IS a natural thing, elitism).

PsyMusic is FREE and genres as such are of NO USE when they pose limitations on musical and artistical freedom. What makes the psy scene what it is, is exactly that, freedom & openess. If those values are betrayed by imposing rules on what music can and cannot be played witin the PsyCulture then the quintessential values of freedom and the promotion of an alternate reality to established norms of society which form the core of the Goa Scene / Psy philosophy have been betrayed.... and by doing so, the PsyCulture itself has strayed off its "base" and as such is nothing more but a fake/cheap imitation/look alike of what once was. It will then no longer be home to the true psychedelic culture, whose people will find newer and greener pastures after they run off covering their noses like other people do from the smell of rotting meat!

The basis of this argument is to be found in the fact that essentially the psychedelic way concerns alternate realities, breaking the rules, not conforming to reality etc. If you make rules that "this is psy", then you have conformed to a reality which stipulates just that - and as such, its really not psychedelic anymore.

Of course, there is more to the scene than just that - But, in regards to the music it matters a lot that it reflects the mindset of the people within the culture - And THIS is what makes it special, and not that you call it "psytrance" and create it by some definition which has been commercially imprinted into peoples minds since the day of the first goa trance CD release on Dragonfly Records.

Anyone who has had a true psychedelic experience knows that it is not something you control, it is something you adapt to and go with. Such is the psychedelic music, you surrender to it and follow it.... There is good and bad psychedelic music, which again depends on who is listening. To some its Kindzadza, to others its Chris Micali - some even find both psychedelic depending on the situation. Trance is for me a psychedelic experience - Takes me out of reality as such, gives me something new - Ergo, if its trance inducing, its psychedelic.

Best Wishes

Krell

very well said krell

I agree with almost all.. except with when you said "its natural to be elitist"...

in psychology we have seen that when people identify with a certain group, they tend to adapt their perceptions in a way that things coming from their group are better than things coming from other groups... I think on one hand it may be natural/genetic because taking care of our own groups guaranteed our survival to some extent (though this is also in some way not an absolute fact, since an inter-groupal work seems to give better results, and there are examples even in nature). but I think that the 'elitism' you talk about is mostly a social factor, having to do with our 'lower' need of belonging to a group, of being socially established...

But just as the whole point of psychedelia is, as you said yourself, to break boundaries, to see from different perspectives, to increase the potentials and discover new possibilities, then we must grow over these 'lower' social needs and realize that these definitions and boundaries lack much when comparing to flowing Reality, and how this Reality is All-Embracing, and not exophobic and elitist as the action of some appear to be.

very well said krell

I agree with almost all.. except with when you said "its natural to be elitist"...

in psychology we have seen that when people identify with a certain group, they tend to adapt their perceptions in a way that things coming from their group are better than things coming from other groups...  I think on one hand it may be natural/genetic because taking care of our own groups guaranteed our survival to some extent (though this is also in some way not an absolute fact, since an inter-groupal work seems to give better results, and there are examples even in nature).  but I think that the 'elitism' you talk about is mostly a social factor, having to do with our 'lower' need of belonging to a group, of being socially established... 

But just as the whole point of psychedelia is, as you said yourself, to break boundaries, to see from different perspectives, to increase the potentials and discover new possibilities, then we must grow over these 'lower' social needs and realize that these definitions and boundaries lack much when comparing to flowing Reality, and how this Reality is All-Embracing, and not exophobic and elitist as the action of some appear to be.

418258[/snapback]

You are absolutely right - I dont see myself as perfect, that is what Im trying to say. The values which I connect with the psychedelic culture/lifestyle are things I strive for to promote in myself and others + my surroundings, but - its harder to achieve in pracsis compared to just writing about it.

I think its important that I mention that I also have my flaws when I moralize over other peoples actions... It should be clear that I include myself as one of those who also needs to understand and improve.

For the reasons you mention, I think elitism is natural - In the end, it might become an individual thing - Thinking you are better than others... It probably does serve a purpose since it makes you put yourself and your decision making abilities above others in effect giving you the motivation and basis for telling others how to proceed and conduct themselves. (So, elitism is probably likely to have good justification - If you think you are better at something than others, you are most likely good at it, or better than most people - If in fact you are better than the ones you are overruling is not a safe bet, but it will be tested).

Misplaced elitism is then the problem. Thinking you are better than others, while you really are not. Or, is elitism at all relevant in a given situation and why ?

In the case of music, its so subjective that perhaps elitism is not always as relevant there... "My taste is better than yours, so even you you think it tastes like shit, please eat it - I know best" :-)

In the case of old and new - It can get annoying to hear people get elitist about something because it is new to them, having them tell you that it is better than what you yourself like at the time. I dont ever really trust people who change on a plate, one day they like full on, the next its progressive - It, for me, points to tremendous shifts within their personality... If they feel that way about music, how do they feel about other aspects in their life ? :-) I Like predictable people heheh.

*smiles*

Krell

Without getting myself even deeper into this, I'd like to add one more remark.

I've been listening to all kind's of electronic music for over 10 years now & so have many of my friends.

We all have a strong clubby-background, yet we were amazed by the house-trance-progressive hybrid that is created by D-nox & Beckers, Eelke Kleijn, Space Safari, Marc O Tool, Minilogue, André Absolut, Fitalic, Vision & Canedy, Philo, Inkfish, Chable, Jaïa...

But it's the same as calling X-dream or Spirallainz plain old techno. It might come close, but there's definitly more to it, no?

The difference might not be as clear as between Drum & Bass and Booty Electro, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be half as impressed if it was just more of the same stuff we've known for years.

By the way all of those who claim that they dislike these "electro" influences, please check out some proper electro like Dopplereffect, Adult, The hacker, Anthony Rother or Underground Resistance. Electro is made out of breakbeats & I haven't heard much of those in trance (unfortunately maybe?)

Shit, looks like I got carried away agàin :D

By the way all of those who claim that they dislike these "electro" influences, please check out some proper electro like Dopplereffect, Adult, The hacker, Anthony Rother or Underground Resistance. Electro is made out of breakbeats & I haven't heard much of those in trance (unfortunately maybe?)

418301[/snapback]

WORD!!!

I like electro influences on psy but, do you think UR is electro?? detroit techo imo :P

ummm proper electro? maybe Richard Bartz, Legowelt, Vitalic, Johannes Heil, Andrew Wetherall, Fixmer & McCarthy, Blackstrobe, IF... and yes, Dopplereffekt :)

Anyway, just heard a few D-Nox & Beckers tracks, it's correct but not brilliant, there is much better prog released nowadays. I preffer D-Nox djing... Progmercial?? if like how it sounds it's good for me, don't care about anything else

You are absolutely right - I dont see myself as perfect, that is what Im trying to say. The values which I connect with the psychedelic culture/lifestyle are things I strive for to promote in myself and others + my surroundings, but - its harder to achieve in pracsis compared to just writing about it.

I think its important that I mention that I also have my flaws when I moralize over other peoples actions... It should be clear that I include myself as one of those who also needs to understand and improve.

For the reasons you mention, I think elitism is natural - In the end, it might become an individual thing - Thinking you are better than others... It probably does serve a purpose since it makes you put yourself and your decision making abilities above others in effect giving you the motivation and basis for telling others how to proceed and conduct themselves. (So, elitism is probably likely to have good justification - If you think you are better at something than others, you are most likely good at it, or better than most people - If in fact you are better than the ones you are overruling is not a safe bet, but it will be tested).

Misplaced elitism is then the problem. Thinking you are better than others, while you really are not. Or, is elitism at all relevant in a given situation and why ?

In the case of music, its so subjective that perhaps elitism is not always as relevant there... "My taste is better than yours, so even you you think it tastes like shit, please eat  it - I know best" :-)

In the case of old and new - It can get annoying to hear people get elitist about something because it is new to them, having them tell you that it is better than what you yourself like at the time.  I dont ever really trust people who change on a plate, one day they like full on, the next its progressive - It, for me, points to tremendous shifts within their personality... If they feel that way about music, how do they feel about other aspects in their life ? :-) I Like predictable people heheh.

*smiles*

Krell

418263[/snapback]

yep I agree

btw, I dont consider myself perfect at all either... but I like having an ideal and aims that I try to reach.. and being as open minded as possible, while still being down-to-earth is one of them :)

Shit, looks like I got carried away agàin :D

418301[/snapback]

yep :)

Im also a fan of the electro-clash, electro-house styles that come out nowadays... btw, tiefschwarz is once in a while played for the psy people.. they can make some very good electro-oriented stuff (but also some weird things too hehe)

Progmercial?? if like how it sounds it's good for me, don't care about anything else

418457[/snapback]

exactly! Even though I tend to like some genres more than others, I usually dont really care if its commercial or underground, from this or that genre.. as long as I like it ,its fine

I mean, Im quite enjoying the new madonna cd, so I cant say Im against everything commercial :lol:

Back to the topic,

here's a rather long yet quite entertaining bio of Mr.DNox,that could shed some light on his carreer even before the old Tatsu days B)

His career as a DJ and producer being in it's 14th years, d-nox became an international top-act who gained respect for his unusual and innovative DJ-sets among the clubbers as well as other DJ's.

The style in his DJ-session expands over all the varieties housemusic provides such as progressive, techhouse up to techno and trance. His professionality concerning the handling of vinyls, his choice of tracks and his unique charisma is exceptionally convincing.

D-nox is able to transmute a usual party into an electronic carnival. This characteristic gave him various bookings to the hottest parties and legendary clubs all around the world.

Christian Wedekind also known as d-nox was born in December 1975 in a little town in the former GDR. Eversince he was a teenager he was a fan of the way of entertaining people as DJ's did. Apart from his first shows as a school DJ he used to play drums for a couple of years. But he never made it in this branch.

1989, shortly before the Berlin wall fell, Christian Wedekind and his parents fled GDR through the Hungarian- Austrian border. After some adventures his family eventually ended up in Düsseldorf, where he has lived till now.

In his new home in the west of Germany he was basically flooded by new media. Longplays, CD's, computer and the right clubs and parties. All this participated in his dream coming true. Consequently, he could not resist music and djing.

One day in the beginning of the 90's he got in touch with techno and everything around it. It was tracks like Moby's "go" or Human Resource's "dominater" which he could not withdraw from after some astonishment in the beginning.

It was the clubs where there were no rules and it didn't matter who you were and what you did. It was the beginning of his career.

The hip music shop "Studio One" greatly influenced the course of his career. This store was the best music dealer in the area and additionally a meeting point for all DJ's, promoters and everyone who was affected by the techno movement.

Since he was trusted by some clubowners d-nox was offered the great to determine Celvine Rotane's pre-show at the notorious club "Amnesia" in germany. That was in 1992. His solid and convincing kind draw the attention of further promoters, who booked him on more parties and raves , such as the legendary "Collapse Parties", the "Exitus Parties" and many more.

He got his first real show with the engagement as a resident DJ in the Poison Club in germany. There he was responsible for the legendary after parties from 1994 to1996, where many people came from all over the country.

His first mixed compilation was released by the Dutch label ID+T in 1995. This CD mirrored his musical spectrum in those days and was very successful with more than 7.500 copies.

After leaving the Poison Club in 1996 he toured with his DJ equipment all over Europe and made very important experiences. At this time the project Area Code was created, too. With this pseudonym he organised various parties together with the DJ's Sly Flynn (now Ryan Halifax), Noah and Sebastian Bach in the regional well known clubs like the Tribehouse in Neuss.

1997 area Code were committed in a weekly show at the first line radio station "Evosonic" which ran over 2,5 years every Friday from 7pm until 10pm and reached very high ratings.

They released a compilation especially for the radio show and this, too, came out on the Dutch label ID+T.

Through the radio show d-nox got very well-known and this gave him various international bookings.

After the chapter "Evosonic" was closed, d-nox decided to discover the world and so he set out. India, Mexico, Peru, Guatemala, Argentine, where ever he was he left his musical marks.

Apart from his journey he spent a lot of time at the recording studio, but the first results needed a long time to get finished, but a happy outcome is worth waiting.

Meanwhile d-nox and his friend and partner sly flynn became the owners of their own recording studio, where they worked on new tracks as often as they could.

Since August 2001 d-nox has been responsible for the musical events at the German progressive techno/ trance label "Tatsu Recordings". Beside the label work, he also creates with his friend Oliver Stark the most important progressive trance party series at the Rhein Ruhr Area. Due to their professionality and their creativity, the synaptic project parties gained a good reputation. www.synaptic-project.de

In 2003 d-nox founded his own label "Sprout Music" www.sproutmusic.de .

Sprout is a platform for innovative and genre spread club tracks, which you can't categorise within the genre of electronic music.

Sprout found with Intergroove one of the best partner in the world for the distribution of this kind of music. Watch out for sprout releases!!!

the problem with dnox is not his music and taste...

it seems to me that his attitude and ego are not very nice... what a shame.. he has such a nice stage presence, really interacting with the crowd and playing really well.. but once he's off the stage, his ego and attitude show up and what I personally saw and also heard, is not good at all

the problem is his attitude and ego...  what a shame.. he has such a nice stage presence, really interacting with the crowd and playing really well.. but once he's off the stage, his ego and attitude show up and what I personally saw and also heard, is not good at all

420323[/snapback]

so what did he do? maybe he just wanted to party and freak out a little....

the problem is his attitude and ego...  what a shame.. he has such a nice stage presence, really interacting with the crowd and playing really well.. but once he's off the stage, his ego and attitude show up and what I personally saw and also heard, is not good at all

420323[/snapback]

I'm sorry to hear that, but I will say that it must have been an off night or there must have been some unknown circumstances. I've been friends the guy for a couple years now and I have to say that he is one of the most geniunely friendly and caring people that I've met. I couldn't even count the number of un-called for favors and nice things he's done for us since day one (and I ain't just talkin' a couple free beers in the a club ;) ). I've never seen any kind of ego or bad attitude coming from his side at all, and he's always been willing to bend over backwards to help people out (even those he doesn't know so well).

I know when artists & DJs who are travelling the world every weekend, it is a huge stress physically, mentally and emotionally and they aren't going to be super-friendly every single night. I've met some artists who I had heard were assholes from reputation, but were absolutely wonderful people in person. I've also met some who I had heard were extremely cool but were somewhat cold (and seemingly egotistical) when I dealt with them. It happens.

Regarding the original topic -

While I don't find D-Nox & Beckers' music to be revolutionary, it is thoroughly enjoyable to hear and it absolutely rocks the dancefloor every single time I play one of their tracks. That's good enough for me. ;) I'm personally never expecting much truly groundbreaking music within the electronic dance genres. Just stuff that I enjoy hearing and dancing too (and making people dance to ;) ). "Jet Lag Slave" and "Seven Hours" do annoy me, but just about everything else from their studio is gold.

And "Switch" - I'm absolutely sick to fucking death of that track. You hear it at every fucking party you go to. In the just about every party in Germany in 2005, it seemed to be a competition as to which DJ would pull the track out first (usually prematurely, but that's a different complaint), and you'd inevitably hear it a couple DJs later. But I've got to admit that it's a fantastic dancefloor track that has its place. It's just a matter of the DJ waiting until the *right* moment to play it and not trying to put it in every goddamn fucking set. I think I've played it twice and both times it was unquestionably the absolute highlight of the set.

And Tiga....oh baby, that "You're Gonna Want Me" track is the gayest track I've heard since "Freaque On". But man, I fucking love it. :) :)

Some say:

Boy, your always teasin...

I think you best be leavin...

Why you gotta drive me crazy!

I know

You gonna want me

But when you want me

It might be...

A different story

I know

You gonna want me

But when you want me

It might be...

A different story

Shit, it makes me want to put on my fluoro feather boa and dance around my apartment. ;)

420323[/snapback]

and what exactly did u personally see and hear ?

u cant just throw accusations in the air without being more specific - it just sucks man.

i have met dnox a few times and he is NOT the person you are talking about.

In fact,he is one of the nicest people i have met in this scene in a very long while.

so i gotta say,grow up and dont talk crap,especially not on good hearted people such as in this case - or at least have some balls to let us know what the hell you are talking about.