The very first full-on track

Dajek

Guest The Journey Man Project

Whatever the very first full-on track is, it has a lot to answer for.

416385[/snapback]

:lol: I'd blame more the use of computers and the ability to share around you templated full on kick and bass...

There were some stuff with the full on-ish bassline sound and the screechy leads popping up in 1997/1998 - wether or not it qualifies as "full on" is difficult to say though. I don't think it had those super-annoying mini breaks with the reverse kicks =) I think there was something on Phantasm and possibly some Transient release in 1997 with this sound... but it's monday morning so my mind isn't really working. And I'm not at home so I can't check.

The Etnica track "Full On" came out in early 1996 but has nothing in common with the sub-genre "full on". Koxbox' "Fuel On" also came out in 1996. So the term was used back then, but not to describe the same thing as now.

Could it be Trance Induction - N

http://www.discogs.com/release/17822

Released in 1993.... And it is _very_ full-on.

Can anyone confirm or am I messing something up? (mp3 tags  <_< )

416205[/snapback]

I think Oforia / Tandu had some pretty full on ish releases around 1997 / 1998

http://www.discogs.com/release/89102

http://www.discogs.com/release/32948

First compilation release from 3D Vision marked the real beginning of the full on era for me http://www.discogs.com/release/123556

I myself didnt really start enjoying it before around 2001 or so (after I had gotten bored with all the progressive stuff).

Best Wishes

Krell

http://www.discogs.com/release/147473

Tempo - 148bpm

Running 16th bassline - check

Bassline avoids kickdrum hits - check

Swept-sine kickdrum - check

Screechy goa lead - check

Zappy noises - check

Indian-sounding gated singing - check

Full on?

417119[/snapback]

So youre saying you invented full-on?

My Business associates Ivan and Vladimir will be visiting you shortly to take you on a nice trip to the countryside to thank you for your contribution to the trance world. You dont need to pack a bag or anything, Ivan and Vladimir will see to it that all your needs are taken care of. Have fun... :P

My Business associates Ivan and Vladimir will be visiting you shortly to take you on a nice trip to the countryside to thank you for your contribution to the trance world. You dont need to pack a bag or anything, Ivan and Vladimir will see to it that  all your needs are taken care of. Have fun... :P

417123[/snapback]

Ahahaha :D :D

Guest Astro Cortex

http://www.discogs.com/release/147473

Tempo - 148bpm

Running 16th bassline - check

Bassline avoids kickdrum hits - check

Swept-sine kickdrum - check

Screechy goa lead - check

Zappy noises - check

Indian-sounding gated singing - check

Full on?

417119[/snapback]

Full on the oldschool way. Quite a different approach to the whole concept than what is called Full on today. Full on with style (IMO). I haven't heard either of those two tracks though, but I really like Silence and Kundalini (the former featuring on the the very first psy CD I bought, back in '96 :) ).

But sorry, the real "inventors" of Full On (if they exist) are from France:

http://www.discogs.com/release/313403

That's just where I'd draw the line myself though, it's a rather subjective thing after all ;)

My Business associates Ivan and Vladimir will be visiting you shortly to take you on a nice trip to the countryside to thank you for your contribution to the trance world. You dont need to pack a bag or anything, Ivan and Vladimir will see to it that  all your needs are taken care of. Have fun... :P

417123[/snapback]

:D

GMS to me invented full on.

the bassline, the nord lead 2 FM/pitch mod sounds, the less crazy hi hat stuff...

i forget what the gms track is called with the sample "i recieved this information from an alllllien", no body was using the nord lead like that then.

then some people started copying GMS because they got bigger but toned down the weirdness, then GMS started toning it down to match what was popular.

the thing i dont remember is when the term full on became what it is now. i can remember telling people in 1999-2000 that i liked "full on" psytrance, but that ment like saikopod as opposed to something more goa sounding or minimal.

I will get alot of shit over me for writing this

but Shakta - Lepton Head (Deedrah Rmx) started it all imo

The bassline is very full on ish, lots of loud high hats, the breaks very predictable and with a high climax... i'm not saying this is full on cuz it's one of the best goa tracks ever, but I think it started here...

the thing i dont remember is when the term full on became what it is now. i can remember telling people in 1999-2000 that i liked "full on" psytrance, but that ment like saikopod as opposed to something more goa sounding or minimal.

418951[/snapback]

What you have to understand is that the term full on was at the time the opposite of Minimal/Progressive - When a lot of the labels in the scene start to focus on a new sound which is not that melodic nor fast some people per say will not agree with it (meaning they find it offensive and dont want to support or listen to it).

So, a need arises to differentiate between parties, floors & artists as either "full on" or "progressive" for everything goes under the name "psytrance / psychedelic trance"..

If you dont like progressive and you go to an event and there is only progressive there you would have liked to know that beforehand on the flyer for instance (and people dont know EVERY name, only the true geeks do).

Genres are born out of the need to define music, which is a need stimulated by the people.

I defined myself as a Full On, Progressive & Chillout DJ for instance - under full on I include stuff like "dark psy" also, under Progressive I include stuff like "House or Tribal Trance" and under Chillout I include everything which is basicly chilled.

Of course there are a lot of genre fascists out there who will want to tell others what is what - But, the truth is the genres are not defined by any one person, but for peoples need for them.. They are in a state of constant flux.

Best Wishes

Krell

full on was a term then and I liked to say it

it didnt mean that bassline and that kick

it meant it was a crazy song and you d loose your breath dancing to it

we also used it for uber trippy songs

so the word was used in its own meaning i guess

green nuns - ring of fire was full on to me

listen to that full blast in open air and tell me its not

Full on and neo full on aren't interchangable terms. The topic title should really read "the very first neo full-on track". Full on the old school way would in my opinion be intense high bpm psy-trance and neo full on is that bassline we all love to hate.

A good example of full on is UX' Master of the Universe.

A cronological view might reveal tracks prior to Deedrah's Reload with definitive neo full on elements but as far as impact is conserned Reload is the track/album.

Guest Elysium

Full on used to be a word that descibed the feeling of going crazy on the dance floor to a rocking track. NOT a music genre. Somewhere out there's an israeli who should be brought to justice for stealing a description and using it as a overall genre name. :angry:

:)

Edited by Elysium

Full on was a word that descibed the feeling of going crazy on the dance floor to a rocking track.  NOT a music genre. Somewhere out there's an israeli who should be brought to justice.  :angry:

:)

419459[/snapback]

That is true - You could say "this track is very full on" - it describes intensity in the music or actually the experience as such. Full On could be a term on par with Hypnotic. A very Hypnotic Track, a very Full On track.... A very twisted track....

Another description could be "in your face" with those relentless melodies that just didnt want to go away (which many of us came to hate). Im sure many experience modern full on like "In your face Trance" also ehhee.

Something we must also remember is that the word "Full On" got a commercial pad on the back with the release of Hommegas VA "Full On" Series.

The same goes for the word Scandotrance which was featured on the cover of "A Progress in Trance" released on Transient.

We should definately not underestimate the impact of words featured on releases which were distributed everywhere at once - especially back then. (both terms are still with us today).

I call all music which is generally faster moving and more "in your face" full on, and everything slower and which has more focus on percussion, grooves etc progressive... (I can of course break it endlessly into subgenres, if I want to be a genre fascist:-) )

Stuff like Ux, Slide, Cosmosis and all the melodic goa trance is for me full on (its just ooold full on) - The spirit of those releases are still found in the new full on.... While the more tribal influensed tracks from "back then" have passed their spirit on into the progressive stuff.

Its just evolved... I think Oforia / Tandu sounds a lot like new full on though. Just put on the Delirious album and have a listen, goes up and down, left and right with riffs and clean production - it was a MASSIVE HUGE MEGA hit back then, and I think it really set a benchmark for a lot of people (who liked that approach to trance).

Best Wishes

Krell