V/A - Project Eleusis

DeathPosture

V/A – Project Eleusis

Posted Image

Artist: Various

Title: Project Eleusis (The bible of psychedelics - 100 years of Albert Hofmann)

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Dropout Productions (US)

Cat. #: DPCD105

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 9 January 2006

Track listing:

01. 08’57” Penta - Tollkorn

02. 08’02” Polyphonia - Illuminati

03. 07’57” The Nommos – Happy Hofmann 100

04. 07’15” Kindzadza – Ritm Corr

05. 08’20” Highko & Naked Tourist – Divine Blast

06. 06’39” Digitalist - Velotripper

07. 07’59” Candy Power – Time Racing

08. 07’34” The Galactic Brain – Mind Manifest

09. 08’13” oCeLot – Happy Birthday

Review:

Herzlichen Glückwunsch Hofmann!

On April 19, 1943 the world changed drastically: Dr. Albert Hofmann discovered the psychoactive substance known as LSD which has since been one of the most popular semi synthetic psychedelic drugs on the planet… And we all know that with the advent of acid, man discovered new ways to think and it had to do with piecing together new thoughts of mind… Hofmann acknowledged this, and perhaps most well-known are his storied bike rides through the streets of Basel, Switzerland whilst under the influence…

Celebrating the 100th birthday of Dr. Hofmann on 11 January 2006, the Gaia Media Foundation staged an International Symposium in Basel – and with this compilation Dropout Productions are providing the soundtrack… The track list looks impressive, and I for one can’t wait to start celebrating…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Penta – Tollkorn [146 BPM]

Russian-born, American-based producer Nikita Tselovalnikov cracks open the celebration with a track sporting a Swedish sounding track-title he made whilst on the Portuguese Azores Islands… Confused? Don’t be – this is trademark Penta: Elusive, fragmented, and action-packed psytrance… And as always, Penta puts a funny spin on the so-called darkpsy… This is somewhat spooky but also very playful and full of oddball twists and turns… Tweaked by the man himself: Penta! A solid first track!

#02: Polyphonia – Illuminati [152 BPM]

“This illuminati. This group, who calls themselves The Enlightened, had gained resistance of power through control of the banking system!” Polyphonia is Romolo Cherie from Greece and I only know his work from the 2005 Trishula compilation Crazy Goblins & Wicked Pixies… Honestly, I didn’t like that track very much due to its bleak and monotonous nature… Anyway, this track is not as minimal, but it still suffers from a few problems… It’s by far the fastest track here, galloping away at an impressive 152 beats per minute – which obviously leaves little space for ‘breathing’... Also, I not the biggest fan of the hardcore, high-pitched squelching going on here… Well, I guess I’m just not a Polyphonia fan… Bummer!

#03: The Nommos – Happy Hofmann 100 [150 BPM]

If you thought you’d experience an Albert Hofmann celebration without a friendly nod from Goa Gil, you were wrong… I mean, these guys must be just around the same age… Heck, we all know that Hofmann ‘sponsored’ countless fun-filled parties on the beaches of Goa… So, this is Goa Gil and Ariane paying their respect… The track starts with a German voice sample of Hofmann himself talking in his calm voice – and soon thereafter the track is in full gear… Not as dark as the previous track, but still pretty damn banging… Thankfully this works much better construction-wise, and it’s been a while since I’ve heard such a great track from Gil Baba… Hard-hitting, acid-ridden, squelching night-trance – with enough variation, thrills and frills to keep me smiling… Very well put together! Best track so far!

#04: Kindzadza – Ritm Corr [148 BPM]

From Russia with love! Leo Greshilov also sends his greetings with ‘rhythm core’… Another big-shot night trance producer with many releases under his belt – and quite a few personal favourites of mine… The intro here is very cool – some kind of industrial wailing sound is slowly expanding into a relentless monster of a tune… Banging, acid-ridden, edgy, twisted, dark, gritty and experimental – and that was just what the good doctor ordered! A fine, fine track!

#05: Highko & Naked Tourist – Divine Blast [148 BPM]

Here’s a German collaboration between Heiko Quast (Noise Poison Records) and Martin (Z-Neo) & Björn (DJ Iguana)… Especially Naked Tourist have impressed me with their work, and I’m still looking very much forward to their debut album Mad Different Methods coming soon on Parvarti Records… What we get here, is genuine, blasting psytrance… The bassline is more refined than in the previous tracks, and as such this is perhaps the most dancefloor friendly track thus far… As always with Naked Tourist we get a solid dose of raging mad, druggy night-trance – pure dancefloor fodder… Sweet!

#06: Digitalist – Velotripper [150 BPM]

Digitalist is Swiss producer Thomas Franske and I only just recently became acquainted with his work on the Peak Records compilation Utopeak… I liked his über-fast, nocturnal odd-ball trance – and this track is just that! Starts out kinda boring, but that’s only for short while – soon the madness is unleashed… Flaring, raging, pounding night trance – with a ton of digital burps, electronic farts and enough acid-lines to keep me interested…

#07: Candy Power – Time Racing [148 BPM]

Candy Power is a Russian duo consisting of Roman Dominator & Kety Equilibrium… Made up names obviously, but who cares really!?… Anyway, I’m not familiar with these guys’ work, so I don’t really know what to expect… So maybe I’m in for a surprise… Yes – I was... For a while at least! This track is pretty sweet! The first part is eclectic, multilayered, contrasting night trance… It’s riddled with funky, trippy darkish elements – the acid-level has been cranked up – and basically it’s just great! Well, maybe I should curb my enthusiasm, as the track seems to somewhat loose focus for the last couple of minutes… And that’s a damn shame – it was going so well… Arrrgh! But still – the first part of this track rocks!

#08: The Galactic Brain – Mind Manifest [147 BPM]

The Galactic Brain is another new project to me… The guys behind it are Mexican producers Chac Pakal and Jolly Jack and as far as I can tell, this is their debut release… What we get here is more alleged darkpsy, but whereas the previous ones were much more versatile, this one seems to be somewhat more formulated… That’s true for the rhythm section at least which is pretty uninspired… Luckily there’s other stuff going on here, which almost makes up for it… The breaks + the voice samples are pretty nice and the eerie, alien ‘crawling sounds’ really creeps me out… And I like getting freaked out… A good track – too bad about the shabby first half though!

#09: oCeLot – Happy Birthday [148 BPM]

And hey, this is a Dropout Productions compilation after all, so who better to finish things off, than label regular Aaron Peacock!? This guy has yet to let me down with his experimental, redefining psychedelia… And hell yeah, once again Mr. Peacock plays the oddball card – just listen to the warped, filtered, vocoded, tranced-up rendition of the famous Happy Birthday tune which is repeated both in the intro and outro parts of this track… Before long, this turns into a regular acid-fest… Twirling, playful, syncopated acid-lines are all over the place, and this is perhaps the best trip tool of the entire compilation… I mean, the psychedelia is coming out the woodwork here… It’s acid galore… Brilliant!

Honestly, I would have been disappointed if this turned out to be a collection of half-baked tunes profiting from the celebration of Hofmann’s birthday… But luckily it’s not – in fact, this is one hell of a compilation packed to the rim with kick-ass tunes… Oh yes, with only one ‘not great’ track and a couple of minor glitches, this is a real winner! The first essential purchase of 2006 for fans of eclectic, versatile, acid-ridden night trance…

The cover art by CristalSource is… Well, erm, different! But I can cope with that – after all, its a tribute to the good doctor, so I can deal with the fact that it sports his portrait… To conclude, this is a brilliant compilation, which I will not hesitate to give my warmest recommendations… Enjoy!

Now, let’s all stand and salute the man… Happy 100th doc!

Favourites: 1, 3(!), 4(!), 5, 6, 8, 9(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Dropout Productions: http://www.dropout-productions.org

LSD International Symposium: http://www.lsd.info

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/600304

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/cec2b

Discobole: http://tinyurl.com/aenjh

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/atayy

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/ddgoh

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/d52dz

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/csvgs

Play: http://tinyurl.com/bpfu2

Nothing groundbreaking for the dark genre but still a very good release.

The best track is definately from KinDzaDza. Better day by day. True psychedelia and blast off power. Highko and Naked Tourist track is a real bomb, fast, hard and incredibly agressive. Very good tracks from the rest, too. 8/10

sorry but I don't think this sounds like moon unit

418018[/snapback]

I didn't say it sounds like Moon Unit. I said that, in my opinion, it's the best psychedelic v/a SINCE Moon Unit. ;)

Though Moon Unit has a quite bit more variety in the styles, and is more interesting to listen to overall.

maaaaaaan what's with the droning bass?? doesn't change at all and these tracks are ALL at least 7:00 long! i'm getting a headache listening to this...this is all starting to remind me like that dutch hardcore gabber shit, but in a "psychedelic" form...

maaaaaaan what's with the droning bass?? doesn't change at all and these tracks are ALL at least 7:00 long!  i'm getting a headache listening to this...this is all starting to remind me like that dutch hardcore gabber shit, but in a "psychedelic" form...

432800[/snapback]

don't like it?

don't listen

don't comment

don't care

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Project Eleusis, as until now the DropOut's releases (v/a Alien Fm and Ocelot - Vector Selector), proposes a thicky darkpsy trance of good composition with some known names:Penta, the project The Nommos de Goa Gil & ARIANE, Ocelot, Kindzadza and Naked Tourist plus a bunch of newcomers.

For the majority, the tenors honour their statute, except here for The Nommos with a disappointing title for me, which regeorge too much samples of Hofmann which speaks in Swiss-German, and for me German speaking doesn't result beautiful or esthetic listened in a tune. Moreover on Goa Gil's compilation Karmageddon they had provided a title much more inspired. Otherwise mentions for the remix darkpsy of the air of happy birthday which makes appearances in the title of Ocelot and for Kindzadza with its insane-insane & incontrolable progression.

Among the newcomers, Digitalist & Candy Power held my attention. Velotripper is hyperactive with a raw kick, one can count all times well. Time Racing has a tended bass, you have the impress that it penetrates and feeds you from everywhere with 220 volts. Mind Manifest is rather leaping even if it is not the best title of the compilation but It's quite pleasant seeing Mexicans venturing in another thing that the full on :D. Polyphonia on the other hand, left me quite indifferent.

A compilation to possess for any fan of darkpsy which respects himself.

• 3 weeks later...

damn, had to put in the wait list, but i finally got a hold of it. i don't like the art work to be honest... i think is a tad bit freaky to have the man on the cover but whatever... they should have sticked with that dude that was doing the artwork before :P

the music is great though, hard hitting stompers... and quality throghout

What is this Mr. Science on the album cover? Bad choice. It looks like he's trying to market or sell whatever he's holding, Overall this sounds like a decent dark comp, not much more.

• 1 month later...
Guest The Journey Man Project

LOL @ Mr Science. hehe... it is a cool cover, haven't got this yet but will be in my next order when V/A Durdom comes out...

• 8 months later...

1. Penta – Tollkorn

Starts off with this real nocturnal bassline .. theres good use of synth pads .. the elements just keep getting added as the tracks chugs along at a comfortable digging pace.. the atmosphere around 2:28 is haunting as hell .. the madness begins again soon after .. the bassline swings from left to right in a real frenzied way.. the kick drum sounds just in a perfect pounding harmonis motion with the acid dotted backdrop .. 5:06 creepy crawliies move up my eyedrum as the synth work leaves me speechless .. the groove picks up arouond 7:09 .. and nikita starts spinning this eerie ugly imagery .. the tracks ends with a series of massive digital farts.

2. Polyphonia - Illuminati

Starts twisting it from the word go .. lazy fx keeps me entertained and I dig the groovy bassline and morbid voices .. bassline keeps getting fatter around the 2:54 mark .. by 3:35 the bassline is in total harmony with the evil , ghostly , alien tweaks .. around 4:31 i feel the electricity sweeping over the surface .. subliminal evil propoganda by the evil archi ..psycho geo political picture .. i had not gottten the big picture ..i thought after that ..i had it together .. and now you fly in this definite synthetic madness .. just let the waves flow through you .. crazy crazy !!

3. The Nommos – Happy Hofmann 100

Honestly I dont understand the german sample but I know its the doc speaking .. this trademark gil .. complex acid lines amidst a powerful kick drum .. theres another albert another sample around the 2:00 minute mark .. the track's picking up pace now .. theres this entire part around the 3:30 mark which becomes a lii boring but manges to hold my attention .. the are some nice chimes here and there .. there a couple of nice tweaks to the base the acidic lines keep receeding and progressing .. ends with a sample mentioning lsd in german.. nice !!.. gil baba has definately come up with quite a stonker !

4. Kindzadza – Ritm Corr

The central focus in this track is this bell ringing and the entire track has it .. I feel my pituary gland move at the base of my brain .. this is unusually slow for kindzaza style as I know .. but make no mistake .. he comes back and blasts the bass to no end .. he always manges to extracts the best of the synth each time .. there is frenzy around the 6:20 mark and restless ness continues .. 7:02 ends the track leaving you questioning what the fuck was that ?? hmm I need to listen to this agian

5. Highko & Naked Tourist – Divine Blast

Powerful bassline .. i get a feeling that highko has entered the playground .. and who's here to help him unleash the madness .. its naked tourist .. im am very impressed with this track .. nice tweaks ariound the 3:45 mark .. I want to delve into the obvious madness which I sense coming .. oh sweet as black candy .. drum kiks away in furious fashion as synth work gnaws away .. I'm impervious to poison but this is worth it .. again ending with doc prescribing a gigger dose in german .. I guess !!

6. Digitalist – Velotripper

Now this is the first time im listening to the digitalist ..Ive heard this bassline before but the atmoshere spinning here seems different .. the bassline pounds away at a cool 150 .. not much happening according to me in this track around the 2:41 mark.. circles of crafty synth work is well received .. this track is all bassline .. most of it atleast .. lets skip !

7. Candy Power – Time Racing

Yeah ive heard the candy power track in hasta la patilas and this one's even better .. this is just the most perfect track i have heard that I think will do wonders to bring in the sunrise .. there is so much happening here .. the bassline is groovy and theres this subliminal layer of acid running throughout .. the track picks up mad pace around 3:30 .. the bassline is almost menacing .. the synth line screeeming. .. theres definately a powerful element of groove which just does wonderful things to me .. and make sure you play this loud otherwise you'll be doing yourself a disservice . . This is definately the best till now .. even hoffy will be proud of this track for sure .. simply spectacular !!!!!

8. The Galactic Brain – Mind Manifest

After the last track anything that doesnt match up to it will obviously sound booring .. I dont dig the realy slow pace in the beggining .. but things are looking up immediately afterwards .. very heavy bassline .. which just might burst my eardrum or something .. I reduce the volume .. its too painful to listen to this for some reason .. morbid voice samples are the only source of entertainment .. psychedelic it means mind manifesting suggesting that drugs do not produce a particular sequence of events but instead they took .. missed the last bit .. but again the track doesnt hold my attention for too long ..

9. oCeLot – Happy Birthday

Happy birthday hoffy and this one is done in style .. ocelot comes up shrilling spine chilling minsplitting psychedelic .. you come out enlightened after you're done with this track .. just turn it up to the max and you will feel your brain cells freeze in the process .. top notch production skills this man has up his sleeve .. this track leaves me gasping for air .. mad mad crazy madness around the 5:15 mark .. the synth is almost wants to escape from the speakers .. its screeming at you .. wow WOW .. this just rips through my ears and i reflect on my life .. mend bending indeed

This is a tribute in style .. the future is looking bright for night time psytrance .. this is the only way to go !!!

May you live another 100 hoffy !!