02. Candy Power - Terminator

03. Oliphant - Quasar

04. Alien Mental - Nukem

05. Phobium - 8 bit future

06. Alienation vs. M.I.T

07. Silent Horror - Nocturnal Wizard

08. Peacespect vs. Dejan vs. Hishiryo - Fort Europa

09. Savage Scream - Acid Clown

Golden Dawn has ceirtanly managed to create a buzz about their second compilation, entiteled simlpy "Hate". Quite a few people have expressed how much they dislike this title, and the debate does not seem to find an end. I can't help but giggle a bit at the entire thing....I've never quite managed to take these utterly "dark" themes in psytrance entierly seiously, and I can't help but think that there's at least some kind of humor behind all this blackness. I mean, with a title and a cover like that, it cant expected to be taken entierly serious, you know. It seems a bit like an overkill(haha). It's ceirtanly nothing I manage to get worked up over. As far as marketing goes, I'd think a debate such as this is pure brilliance... I for one wouldn't have gotten this if it weren't for all that fuzz...

The debate a side, there's also a cd comming with this package. It's limited to 500 copies only, so you'd better get this while it's fresh if you're interested. Needless to say this is pretty dark stuff, and the promitional texts also clearly warns sunlovers to stay away... Well, I for one love the sun, and the dark side of psytrance is not the one I usualy prefer. if one plus one equals two this means I should hate(pun intended) this album.

Let's see if I do..

01: M.W.S - Hexenhammer

"My heart is filled with sorrow...but I can find no reason to contest the just sentence of the holy inquisition" . M.W.S opens the show with a sample from some movie couppled with some pretty cold soundscapes. The wind is howling, and I like the atmosphere created in the intro here. Before you know it the engine-like beat and bass kicks in, and sadly many of the atmospheric elements are dropped. In general I tend to dislike this kind of beat, but here it's actually rather varied, and hence it doesn't annoy me all that much. As the track moves along, it's cold harsh expression is maintained and made stronger.. There's plenty of work being done in the backgrond, both with samples of various sounds, voices and different squeeking effects. Towards the end there's even a hint of melody added to the mix, something I'd like to see more of by the way. The track is more varied then I feared, and I actually rather enjoyed this...

02: Candy power - Terminator

Candipower provides "terminator", one of my favourite tracks on the compilation. Again we open with some voicesamples, this time in a language I'm not familiar with. Again there's a pretty atmospheric Intro to the track, but compared to the M.W.S-track I feel that the atmospheric elements are more preserved throughout the track here. The wall of sound that's build moves smoothly around, constantly shifting and morphing. The track has a softer feel than alot of the other tracks here, and I find that rather plesant. Make no mistake, though - this is not soft as in soft. It's just softer . There's also a humoristic element here(or atleast I hope it is!). I can't help but laught a little when Arnold Schwarzenegger is sampled towards the end: "Hasta la vista...Babie!" . Very enjoyable track, and ceirtanly nothing I'd use as a soundtrack for sacrificing a goat or anything like that...

03: Oliphant - Quasar

"There's alot more to this world than we previously thought" ... Yet anothe track is kicked off with the help of voice-samples. Yet again that typical dark engine-like beat is present, but yet again it does not disturb me as much as it usually does. What pleases me most about this track is the presence of melodies, something so often left out of the mix in this kind of music. Another really exciting thing is the constant tweaking and sonic manipulation here. Pretty downright twisted stuff, actually. Towards the end Oliphant even dares to change the engine-like bass, and when it happens it all turns rather funky, but only for a few seconds. This is the third track in a row that's been suprising me in a positive way. Good going!

04: Alien Mental - Nukem

Alien Mentals "Nukem" starts off with a distorted breakbeat of some sorts, before we're thrown towards the pumping bassdrums. The mood is dark (well, d'oh!), and the sound of what might be an alarm going off warns you of what you're about to encounter. And what migh that be you ask? Well - more of the same actually. Pumping bass, a few twisted sounds moving to and through and that seems to be just about it. Sure, some of the squeaks here might sound "weird" and "spaced out" or whatever you want to call it, but overall I find this thing rather dull. Alot of people are complaing about music being to standardized, following a ceirtan formula. Well, If there was ever a formula for dark trance I think it sounds alot like this, and I for one find it rather boring... Next please!

05: Phobium - 8 bit future

Phobium is Hennong H. Ottesen, based in Oslo, Norway. He has released a few tracks on different compilations earlier, and here he delivers the track "8 bit future". It's a very monotonus affaire, pitch black, whithout a trace of melody. The sounds and effects he uses sound pretty simular throughout the tune. It's dark, it's repetitive and it's squeeking. This is really not my cup of tea, but I'm pretty sure alot of the people who usualy orient themselves towards this kind of music will enjoy it. Not made for me, though...

06: Alienation vs. M.I.T - Robo Terrorist

I really like the opening of this track. Thrilling sounds swirl around, making me feel kind of dizzy. When the beat kicks in, I'm happy to report that theese guys have done something (slightly) different in their arrangement of bass and drums. After a couple of tracks I didn't like so much that really sounds refreshing.. The track is pretty varied(probably due to the fact that two artists are involved). Where the first part of the track is haunting, the second part sounds more fluid. Variation is important for me as I'm easily bored, and this doesn't bore as mich as the last two tracks. That being said, This is no favourite of mine, but it's a pretty decent track that I think would work well on a dancefloor.

07: Silent Horror - Nocturnal Wizard

Silent Horror starts off with a sample of a guy rambling about lucifer together with some dark atmospheric sweeps. After a few seconds it's full speed ahead with relentless duggaduggaduggadugga-engine sounds. The metallic and somewhat disturbing sweeps swirling around are varied enough to make it all somewhat interesting, but again, this is really not for me. I'd like to see the nocturnal wizard use his wand more actively and whip up some more magic. Still, I can understand the attraction here, this ceirtanly has power.

08: Peacespect vs. Dejan vs. Hishiryo -Fort Europa

Three artists colaborate to make "Fort Europa", the track that stands out above all others on this compilation for me. This is hard, driving and dark - just as you'd expect, but at the same time it's very varied and experimental. Theese guys are not afraid to play around with their basslines! The samples work very well, and to top it all they also include some melodic elements, hints of breakbeats and an overall coolness and atmosphere that can't be found anywhere else on the compilation. This is acid-madness at it's finest - more of this, please!

09: Savage Scream - Acid Clown

Ladies and gentlemen! I give you the Clown!! To finish off this compilation Savage screams shows us the true face of the Acid Clow, and again this is a very nice track. The engine-factor is toned down, while the liquid is turned up. I also like that there's a focus on a few actual lines of acidic bass here, instead of focusing only on the weird sounds and samples. The ending of the track is a downright full funk-fest of fun, and I'd like to see the ideas there played around with some more. Still a pretty nice way to finish off the comp.

Final remarks:

OK, kids - it's safe to come out now....and if you enjoy the darker realms of psychedelic trance I'm pretty sure this is a safe buy as well. And for all you P.L.U.R-ists....Don't worry, this isn't the antichrist reborn, in fact I have a hard time finding anything really "evil" about it all. If you really must reduce it to being evil, I guess I could agree that it is so in a "Skelletor - the Arch nemesis of He-man" kind of way.

As I've previously stated, the darker side of psy hasn't really been my favourite, and this compilation didn't manage to change that fact. Still, it suprised me to the extent that I enjoyed several of the tracks, and with that I guess I proved the Golden Dawn-guys wrong when they said this was not at all for the sunlovers. Enjoy!

Tomas(Psychedelic Mustache)

get it here:

Beatspace

Wirikuta

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Compilation: Hate

Label: Golden Dawn Records

Year: 2005

Format: CD

URL: www.sonic-energy.net/2006/1/compilation-hate.html

Posted Image

01. M.W.S - Hexenhammer [148 BPM's]

02. Candy Power - Terminator [150]

03. Oliphant - Quasar [148]

04. Alien Mental - Nukem [150]

05. Phobium - 8 bit future [148]

06. Alienation vs. M.I.T - Robo Terrorist [150]

07. Silent Horror - Nocturnal Wizard [150]

08. Peacespect vs. Dejan vs. Hishiryo - Fort Europa [150]

09. Savage Scream - Acid Clown [146]

“The danger comes from people who refuse to recognize that there are dark sides of human nature that cannot be wished away by attributing them to the modern ills of culture, poverty, pathology or exposure to media violence. The danger comes from failing to gaze into the mirror and come to grips with the capacity for evil in all of us.” – David Buss. Glowing Flame is not feeling very lovey-dovey this time around and their primal instinct is appealing other emotions at hand. Much darker and moodier, encompassing the general feeling of the tracks presented. They don't call the label ‘apocalyptic psychedelic trance' for nothing. This is not about Shiva, world peace, nor about talking peyote in Mount Fuji . I'm not going to blame them for trying something slightly more original in the over-population of clichéd themes. The material is obviously for people who can stomach strong and harsh night-time tunes with a smile in their face. Would you raise an eyebrow if it was called “Love” instead? I didn't think so…

01. M.W.S - Hexenhammer *

“My heart is filled with sorrow, but I can find no reason to contest the just sentence of the holy inquisition…” the excerpt comes from the flick “Name Der Rose” with Sean Connery, originally written as a book by Umberto Eco. In short, the book/movie talks about a small Benedictine Abbey in 1327 that believes the Apocalypse is coming, as monks keep mysteriously dying. As result they turn to salvation by fueling the inquisition, unjustly slaughtering even more pagans –mostly witches. The track is aptly named ‘Hexenhammer” by two Austrian DJ's: Natan & Shodan. A spooky number with industrial samples clanging with dust, wind howls and voices whimpering in the background. The track pulls a very hypnotic job with a truly eerie atmosphere added the demonic chanting crumbs, giving the ‘dark ages' a whole different meaning. Up front a warm kick relentlessly pounds alongside the synth, squelching those heathens right to hell… Burn! BURN!

02. Candy Power – Terminator

Candy Power is a match made in heaven (or else), by Dominator and his girlfriend Katya Equilibrium. The rolling bass resembles a stampede of elephants rumbling from every other side in hectic disarray, trailing behind a tin-sounding can. In the middle everything grinds, gashing every texture of the "Terminator" with strange tonal experiments to the point of hearing cockatoos… but that might be me. They included samples from the governor with his do or die moniker “Hasta la vista, baby” and I couldn't agree more.

03. Oliphant – Quasar *

Quasar is one half of the Fractal Cowboys as part of the influx of Californians. So far I have only heard the collaboration on Multiple Personalities and the Oliphant sounds just as strange. The leads undulate like a butterfly soaring aimlessly with mind-squashing filters on never end; continually pushing forward in their evolution. Complicating the sound even more we find the polyformic beats guarded closely by samples, which by now have formed their own little party in the corner. Overall this is just as crazy as it sounds… if you thought freeform jazz was complicated, a second brain is highly recommended for this one.

04. Alien Mental – Nukem *

Lalith Rao another MoE resident coming from India, has internalized the whole Goa experienced only to spit it back in his new home, San Francisco. Bringing forth chaotic madness like it's becoming the norm in the sunny Cali Coasts. The pungent taste of Nukem, invites the listener to a post-apocalyptic future much like in the video game of Duke and the samples confirm the rumors. Full of sonic weavings in the likes of screams, sirens, blips, blops and “uhh… that's gotta hurt”. It's downright disturbing and somehow murky, without a lead to really define the madness. Impressive levels of detail and workmanship around the edges standout from this homage. Personally, a co-opt with Penta or at least a remix would be really interesting to hear…

05. Phobium - 8 bit future

“The future has not been written, there is not fate but what we make of ourselves. – I wish I could believe that.” Says Neo in his world-famous Matrix sample. The steepest kicks in the lot fly high with uplifting grooves and a doze of good old fashioned distortion. The 8 Bit future is pretty much pounding all the way through with a few melodic highlights. The first sounds like an ancient videogame before it's corrupted to death by static. The second is a lounge-kind of atmosphere in the sixth minute that makes you wonder… why didn't he throw those bits a more often? In the meantime most the track is carried through by a hiss that increases intensity. I can appreciate the subtle changes in the track being a fan of minimal bit it feels a bit bare…

06. Alienation vs. M.I.T - Robo Terrorist *

Alienation and M.I.T are three lurkers from the Mediterranean coasts: Gilis, Hilaris and Faitas (those crazy Greeks and their names). The Robo Terrorist claws as another disjointed piece of mayhem emanating strange, and I mean strange shit from all over the place. I can hear six hands on this – much like Shiva- but it's just too out there. Envelope pushing ‘trance' showing us the other side of the coin, whichever that might be. It picks up by the last part with mysterious viola samples taken from some Alfred Hitchcock movie, pulling itself together after a debauchery of senseless robotic dashes. I have split opinions about it.

07. Silent Horror - Nocturnal Wizard *

Another bomb the size of Hiroshima drops on these hateful lands with the new Indian virtuoso. Opening with samples from the film The Omega Code which I missed and honestly don't regret doing so. As for the music Jigar Shah has already announced a debut album coming on Devil's Mind Records this year, promising pandemonium. “The Nocturnal Wizard” makes the hairs stand at the sheer amount of energy it's conveying. The engines are definitely hot and things have picked up in a climatic, apocalyptic, speed-infused mayhem that remains cohesive. “Is this the man who made the nations tremble?!” Yup, that's him… great stuff.

08. Peacespect vs. Dejan vs. Hishiryo - Fort Europa *

An impressive collaboration of four demented heads together trashing on the last pick up of the ride. Interestingly enough, they pulled it off with a tidy number I can identify as passing through Hishiryo first with his Japanese voices and hypnotic effects, continuing with Peacespect and their maddening guitars included the political samples. Dejan is in there somewhere -not exactly sure where- and that's a good thing they can mix so indelibly. It all comes together very well, included the classy stringed bass break, but I'm not sure if the politically infused voices here aid a whole to the overall product. The monk chants on the higher ranges (which is turning real trendy, and I love it) sound an awful lot like opening titles of Halo.

09. Savage Scream - Acid Clown

To close the book Mizuki Nishihata spawns his “Acid Clown” with a strange carnival-esque notes in the form of bells, melting away to the dissolving synth. From the top of my head I can only recall hearing Primal Scream in Crazy Goblins and Wicked Pixies and I wasn't terribly impressed with his work there either. It sounds a bit stagnant or slow in the progression. Step on the pedal chief, we got places to go and people to see! Trance is about repetition though and the aural web he constructed is carefully orchestrated. Take the bass line by the end throwing that that evil fit… juicy in deed.

* Favorites

All and all :

Hate is a strong ride with a number of ups and downs fueled with a lot of hectic production. A number of clear standouts, while some others are just too damn crazy for me, I got to admit. If you bothered reading this far, chances you like what you read and can appreciate the underground vibe it excludes. Some will love to hate it this compilation, others will simply love it (oh the irony). If you made your mind before even checking out the track list please go back to your Spliff Music compilations*, there is nothing for you here. One day you might understand…

* Notice the author has no qualms with actual spliffs.

Where to Get:

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2423%20

http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...wDetail=9975%20

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i liked . . .but its not a fucking killa v.a in my opinion . . .