labels

ritual om

first of all happy new year to all.i wish you the best...

so here is my plain question:

we all have seen so many labels pop out the last couple of years.if there is almost no benefit for the label then why did all these (labels) hit the market?

i know that the two guys here (mars and anoebis) did it mostly for the love they have for the old school sound.

and i guess neither start they a new label (i am not reffering to suntrip) in order to help the scene cause i don't see many new talents around with innovative and fresh ideas.

so.......WHY start a new label? :huh:

Guest Elysium

i mean why do the owners of the lables do it...they are not all of them producers right? :D

408236[/snapback]

As DETOX said. many people go around dreaming of becoming a super hot shot DJ or artist but no one really bother to book them for gigs so they decide to put up a label so they can be noticed and get gigs (never got the point why label mangers get gigs anyway)....so they release their own music or friends and start to get bookings because their label got a "cool" name and release "cool" music (not always the case though)....sometimes it's a smart move and the music is good and deserve to be released... but in many cases they should stay in school or stay at work and stop daydreaming of becoming the next "super star".

And then there's the people that burn for the music and do not bother about personal exposure... Those are the ones that deserve sucess with the labels.

Edited by Elysium

first of all happy new year to all.i wish you the best...

so here is my plain question:

we all have seen so many labels pop out the last couple of years.if there is almost no benefit for the label then why did all these (labels) hit the market?

i know that the two guys here (mars and anoebis) did it mostly for the love they have for the old school sound.

and i guess neither start they a new label (i am not reffering to suntrip) in order to help the scene cause i don't see many new talents around with innovative and fresh ideas.

so.......WHY start a new label? :huh:

408226[/snapback]

maybe, cause beleive it or not... some people want their music heard, even if it dosen't mean they will be selling thousands of copies, and probably haven't found success merging their work with other labels... ??? ... psychedelic trance... is growing, so thankfully (no offence) since you aren't the one who decides if 'innovative or fresh' ideas should reach the market people are taking matters into their own hands and creating small labels... i don't know why all of this sounds rather rethorical to me

maybe, cause beleive it or not... some people want their music heard, even if it dosen't mean they will be selling thousands of copies, and probably haven't found success merging their work with other labels... ??? ... psychedelic trance... is growing, so thankfully (no offence) since you aren't the one who decides if 'innovative or fresh' ideas should reach the market people are taking matters into their own hands and creating small labels... i don't know why all of this sounds rather rethorical to me

408240[/snapback]

<_<

naive...

<_<

naive...

408248[/snapback]

not saying that some people aren't in it for the money, but you said yourself, labels in general aren't making money and they keep growing... why? people like the music, and their means of making money is gigs... its part of the snowball effect until psy trance gets engulfed by mainstream culture. in the meantime this means more choices for you not only as a listener but as a consumer... you are free NOT listen to what you don't like... we don't have power over free markets... the point is, becauase it is growing it means there is more interest in psy trance, and that's positive IMO.

Not all labels grow.

Most just say where they begin and just destroy the market for the rest that try to evolve,please dont make me tell you any names,just check psyshop and see labels with more than ten releases and how they have evolved through this time.

Not all labels grow.

Most just say where they begin and just destroy the market for the rest that try to evolve,please dont make me tell you any names,just check psyshop and see labels with more than ten releases and how they have evolved through this time.

408272[/snapback]

yes you are right. the labels don't grow, but the market does, even if there isn't a an apropiate demand and supply model...

The MARKET is getting smaller.

The AUDIENCE is getting a little bigger.

There is a major difference between these two.

And no in our days sales are falling down all the time if you compare them with what happened 5 years ago.

Three main reasons for that.

A)Evolution of technology (pc's are easy and cheap to get in our days,the same with fast internet which means easy illegal downloads for free,also easy and cheap to buy a cd recorder and burn cds).

B)Too many labels and too much music around (meaning that the buying music crowd has been divided into smaller pieces and keeps dividing every day which means that labels that in the past enjoyed a great share of the market like TIP,Dragonfly and Hommega for example now have to get used to smaller sales percentage since people support and buy from other labels too even if these other labels dont really worth the peoples money).

C)Low quality of music (the music in our days is just bad with just one out of ten tracks worth listening to unlike in the old days where each cd had at least three major hits by great artists such as X Dream,Koxbox,Transwave,Astral Projection and the likes.Today all sort of crap is getting released and people got bored with this situation so they decide to download instead to buy,they dont have enough money anyway).

The MARKET is getting smaller.

The AUDIENCE is getting a little bigger.

There is a major difference between these two.

And no in our days sales are falling down all the time if you compare them with what happened 5 years ago.

Three main reasons for that.

A)Evolution of technology (pc's are easy and cheap to get in our days,the same with fast internet which means easy illegal downloads for free,also easy and cheap to buy a cd recorder and burn cds).

B)Too many labels and too much music around (meaning that the buying music crowd has been divided into smaller pieces and keeps dividing every day which means that labels that in the past enjoyed a great share of the market like TIP,Dragonfly and Hommega for example now have to get used to smaller sales percentage since people support and buy from other labels too even if these other labels dont really worth the peoples money).

C)Low quality of music (the music in our days is just bad with just one out of ten tracks worth listening to unlike in the old days where each cd had at least three major hits by great artists such as X Dream,Koxbox,Transwave,Astral Projection and the likes.Today all sort of crap is getting released and people got bored with this situation so they decide to download instead to buy,they dont have enough money anyway).

408296[/snapback]

nicely put B)

I usually find the newer smaller labels releasing the more interesting music, albeit their production isn't as good..

with more releases, more money, artists and labels are willing to take less risks, and the quality of music usually goes down while the production quality goes up. Not always, but well.. often. There are some that are consistently musically interesting, like Doof Recs for example, though they've softened up quite a bit in the past few months as well.

Hehe i see "the big labels" getting afraid ? Hehe the psychedelic community cant be stopped and I would think even more labels will pop up in 2006... Why do they destroy anything ? The only thing frustrating for me is remembering all the labels :)

As Dmtree said: "I usually find the newer smaller labels releasing the more interesting music, albeit their production isn't as good.."

And maybe when you think about it we dont need any big labels, small/independent is the way to go IMHO :)

Hehe i see "the big labels" getting afraid ? Hehe the psychedelic community cant be stopped and I would think even more labels will pop up in 2006... Why do they destroy anything ? The only thing frustrating for me is remembering all the labels :)

As Dmtree said: "I usually find the newer smaller labels releasing the more interesting music, albeit their production isn't as good.."

And maybe when you think about it we dont need any big labels, small/independent is the way to go IMHO :)

410902[/snapback]

-- Btw.

I think all these small labels is started because of love for the scene and community. You dont release a album printed in 500copies for big proffit :)

There would be fewer new labels that release what everyone else is releasing if the artists didn't license what ever crap tune they have on their harddrive...

410372[/snapback]

There would be fewere new labels that release what everyone else is releasing if the LABELS had some fvcking QUALITY CONTROL and didn't license whatever CRAP tune some newbie producers send them just to provide FILLER for the 2 tracks on the CD by BIG NAME ARTISTS, which are all they can afford because the big name artists (especially if they're Israeli) will charge a massive advance, leaving absolutely NO budget to pay advances (or even fvcking ROYALTIES :angry: ) to the other producers on the CD, which means that usually a beginner label CANNOT release a VA that contains 100% quality tunes.

IMO.