Abandontrace

Taika-Kim

Well, I mailed Phantasm yesterday, but the ebvious problem is that most old labels are dead... Symbiosis & Celtic records were for example great, but both are folded.

409764[/snapback]

Try mailing Choci Chewns Records (an acid-trance label), Celtic was a sublabel, or at least a label close to them

I think the best solution would be to agree on a basic contract with each artist to license their music for digital distribution, either for free or a small per unit fee. Accounting, forming & discussing basic contracts, obtaining digital copies & the relevant metadata can take some time. And then you have to create & maintain a platform to share the music.

The easiest option would be to only share music from artists who donate (that that may mean no GMS ;-) their music, tho a contract still really needs to be drawn up. Wouldn't want to step on any big labels feet, who may actually still own the copyright!

Perhaps it's a good idea to ask a small fee per track on the site (10-15 cents) and donate that money to charity? That way the site won't be commercial, but artists and labels might be more willing to "donate" the rights to these tracks? and some good cause wins as well.

Sounds like a good plan auryn, tho I do know some poor psy-trance producers which I'm sure would happily accept self-determined donations.

I came across a very interesting "self-determined pricing" policy yesterday, which I think would be perfect in this situation. Have a read of the "Open Letter From Jane Sibbery" at the link i've given above.

Here's a quick summary if you're in a hurry:

"You decide what feels right to your gut. If you download for free, perhaps you'll buy an extra CD at an indie band's concert. Or if you don't go with your gut feeling, you might sleep poorly, wake up grumpy, put your shoes on backwards and fall over. Whatever. You'll know what to do."

WHAT YOU WILL FIND AT SHEEBA STORE

FOUR choices on pop-down 'buy' button

1. free (gift from Jane)

2. self-determined (pay now)

3. self-determined (pay later so you are truly educated in your decision)

4. standard (today's going rate is about .99)

I think TK's idea is an excellent one. However I agree with koolaid in that you

are never truly sure of its obsolescence. I think a mighty kool idea would be

to try and get licensing and make a proper release. Aside from that, the copies

will still be illegal and will probably need to be technically confined to private FTP's. (still illegal)

Taika-Kim just want to ask a question.. Your album was one of the best thing to come out last year imo, just totally awesome. Why did you decide to give it for free to dl? which is even more nice and gives you much respect from me!

Was it a decision from the beginning to do so? Or did nobody really want to release it?? That would be strange as i think it's one of the best finnish releases ever.

Ps. You should add the whole album to bluerooms player, or even some track for promotion. :)

Taika-Kim just want to ask a question.. Your album was one of the best thing to come out last year imo, just totally awesome. Why did you decide to give it for free to dl? which is even more nice and gives you much respect from me!

Was it a decision from the beginning to do so? Or did nobody really want to release it?? That would be strange as i think it's one of the best finnish releases ever.

Ps. You should add the whole album to bluerooms player, or even some track for promotion.  :)

413834[/snapback]

Hmm, I haven't thought about releasing anything really. I don't see what I would benefit from confining the music under some publishing deal?

Of course I would be happy to make a real relase if there was Big Money involved (with my style of music=fat chance of that happening...). I would definitely be more happy to do music than any other low-paying shit job for living :P But, in Finland the social security systemi is so good that I don't really have to think about money. Now I'm studying, so I make a good living out of student support money...

Some people have asked about releasing tracks, but they had problems with the music also appearing for free on the net so the talks were abandoned.

And besides all this, I JUST LOVE FREE CULTURE! Digital information is limitless in abundance, so there's really no need to limit distriburtion... Since there is no real-world equivalent amount of work behind any given piece of information (as there is with all manufactured goods, for example), it is- at least theoretically- free from prestige value, which is _exactly_ what human culture needs, IMO :P

I also haven't done much promotion besides from sending some messages to different forums & some CDs to people I know from the 'net and who have asked for them.

The music is downloaded nicely enough, and I get enough feedback to keep me going :)

And about the site:

The idea about some kind of voluntary micropayment system is great, I love that! I have thought about something similar when I release my new album soon... I was thinking of having a counter on the site showing the money collected, and then maybe a poll to decide where the money goes... There's lots of places in the world where there is better use for money than buying the latest full-on CD. Just think of it.

But I still don't like the idea of any kind of central organisation (besides from collecting the money, that should be done by somebody we all trust enogh) because all the eggs would be in the same basket then if the person(s) gets tired, nobody wants to carry on with the project, and so on...

I was hoping that the artists would release (some specific) tracks/EPs/albums to the public domain under some license that would prohibit commercial use, like Creative Commons 2 etc. This way everybody could enjoy them, but nobody could exploit the copyright by selling the tracks.

So the only thing that would be in any way centrally managed would be some list with all the approved releases and then people would be free to distribute them in any way the want.

Isn't Choci's Chewns also dead btw? (too tired to check myself now...)