10 years ago...

mars

I have two things to add to this thread (besides my first post of course):

First about Devious' post: xtc did exactly the same to me. I wasn't a hacker but felt pretty lonely, depressed and generally like a piece of shit. After taking xtc for the first time, I've changed for the better. I still take it (more than only once in a blue moon) and I still love it.

And about the DJ mix: I'm sure going to download it, it looks great!!!!  :)

410583[/snapback]

Yo tatsu, yeah dude. I had to cut back. I blamed my stupidity that I acquired through "drug use" on x, but I've realized as of lately it was due to an overdose on something called AMT (alphamethyltryptamine). It really took a bite out of my brain and I'm still trying to find the sanity that was lost on that psychologically impairing and mentally destructive trip.

So, really, I take back the stupidity associated with x and reattribute it to AMT :) no thanks to my GF who takes all of the blame for it anyways, haha. Alas, I believe in the recreation nature of the mind and do accept that neurons can heal and regenerate so I somewhat sense this natural mental restructuring going on, as if I was going from (a little drastic, but to compare) an infant -> toddler mentality.

Anyways, life is grand. It's just hard being a daddy now and all your friends ditching you so I'm kind of back in front of the computer again :) just not depressed. Bored out of my mind. But my lil' one makes me so- happy that he's totally worth the boredom that consumes me from not having the freedom I did have. :) He rocks!

Aaron

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1998 my starting year and still my favourite year

first tracks were all dj sets with no tracklist so :)

but I can garuantee it was 100% melodic pure goatrance :D

still have them, bad quality off course but lots of memories

well I'm getting older too and the 'those were the days' feeling is around too but I try to avoid that, don't like that cause I know that's imo and goa is still superactive, in other genres maybe but still the evolution is very fast and busy comparing to other music genres, we even still have old skool releases in 2005,

I'm not complaining :)

Yo tatsu, yeah dude.  I had to cut back.  I blamed my stupidity that I acquired through "drug use" on x, but I've realized as of lately it was due to an overdose on something called AMT (alphamethyltryptamine).  It really took a bite out of my brain and I'm still trying to find the sanity that was lost on that psychologically impairing and mentally destructive trip.

So, really, I take back the stupidity associated with x and reattribute it to AMT :) no thanks to my GF who takes all of the blame for it anyways, haha.  Alas, I believe in the recreation nature of the mind and do accept that neurons can heal and regenerate so I somewhat sense this natural mental restructuring going on, as if I was going from (a little drastic, but to compare) an infant -> toddler mentality.

Anyways, life is grand.  It's just hard being a daddy now and all your friends ditching you so I'm kind of back in front of the computer again :) just not depressed.  Bored out of my mind.  But my lil' one makes me so- happy that he's totally worth the boredom that consumes me from not having the freedom I did have. :)  He rocks!

Aaron

410783[/snapback]

Hei Aaron, I didn't know you have a kid. Wish you the best for your family! :)

I also had to cut down on the stuff, first I did it every weekend because it was just so great, but then it make me feel bad. Not directly after taking it but during the week, no motivation to do anything besides going to work (because I had to), watch TV and wait for the weekend. Not exactly a surprise... It's losing its magic if you overuse it, the dosage makes the poison so to say.

It's interesting to see that there are other persons who had the same experience with XTC like I had. And that they are now still feeling fine.

10 years ago, i was bored with the good old rock that i was listening all days ( doors, hendrix and so on..) and i was looking for something new.

In 1996 I heard a track on the radio, this track was Total Eclipse - Aliens ! I found it strange, weird....but on the same time there was something attracting. Then I heard some Hallucinogen, Astral Projection, Man With No Name, Miranda... tracks. I only listen to that kind of music during the night... It was like beeing in another dimension. I liked to sleep the whole night with that music in my ears.

Sometime I disliked tracks I was listening to because it was too much complex... then nights after nights my brain understood what was in the middle of this music...the psychedelism ( I'm to talking about drugs ! But Feeling something psychedelic with only the sound )

During this year 96 I only listened to tracks on the radio ( it's a pity there is no more psytrance at the french radio now ) ... next year I began to buy CDs, listen to this music all days long and I went to my first party in 99.

Thanks to Total Eclipse, Hallucinogen, Xdream, Juno Reactor, Etnica, Man with no Name, Miranda, some french parties org like TranceBody and Gaia and some website like Psynews ;-)

hey nice thread!

My first exposure to electronic music was through trance music I downloaded from BBS (bulletin boards back in the day of the modem) in .mod / .xm tracker form. This was around 1993-95 before the internet was the big thing in south africa :P

You used to be able to get some awesome psy-trance music for the tracker (i used fast tracker). A the time (i was 13) no-one i knew listened to music like that. It blew me away!

I heard my first commercially released psy-trance cd in 1996 - a compilation called Suntrance Goa '96. With tracks by Doof, Green Nuns, Hallucinogen & Slinky Wizard no-wonder i kept listening it practically on repeat for the next 3 or 4 years.

My first psy-trance club experience was in 2000 and I've been to Samothraki, Boom, Voov & The Glade festivals since. This year I plan on going to Boom, the psynews gathering (wooo!!!), the Glade Festival & maybe some other non-psy festivals if there's any good uns on!

I've been getting bored of the scratchy un-psychedelic music mostly played at clubs / squat parties these days, it seems like the psychedelic music i grew up on has been replaced by hi-energy pill music.

For me, to experience the true essence of psy-trance - you *need* to go in search of the festivals / outdoor free parties! Nothing beats being out in the sun & stars with thousands of people who've travelled the distance to be united by the music.

I don't listen to much psy-trance music at home now (tho i'm out partying in london every weekend or two!), i'm enjoying the psychedelic moments of the berlinesque minimal techno scene too much :)

Paris is a beautiful town and very interesting.... Louvre is a must and so is Montmartre and Boulogne. Go at Springtime :) 

But do go south to Montpelier and that area... It's stunning. And the wine is amazing....hmmm remind me of that I like to visit my friends there soon :)

sorry highly off-topic haha  :)

407446[/snapback]

I second all this.. I came home from Paris 2 days ago. It was great :)

I first heard sum psy around 2000 when a friend of mine gave me a cd with dance mp3s that had Mahadeva in it, it was my favourite track so i just typed Astral prpjection in google and actually one of the first sites that i found was psynews. So i started readin g reviews and started dowloadin. At that time i was about 17 and was already familiar with commercial trance. So psynews was 1 of my first contacts with goa/psytrance.

When I started listening i really cudn get the crazy melody songs, i thought hallucinogen and GNOTR was crap. I really liked IM. Nowadays i think hallucinogen is phenomenal while I find Astral's music to b a bit simplistic.

2001 i went to uni and got hooked up with sum ppl that were really into minimal/progressive and went to my first party which was Reefer degree at the EQ warehouse london. It was mindlowin and after that I got hooked.

What happened when I came home for xmas after that party was shockin.

I discovered that practicaly every1 in my hometown was listenin to psy for years and years, even a very good friend of mine was into psy since he was 13 and I had no clue about it. When i discussed it with them they told that because I wasnt into drugs and was studying a lot (nerdy) they never thought id like it.

When i went to samothraki the same year I was again shocked at the number of ppl that were that were there and we had gone at the same school

I cant say that I've ever really been part of the scene, I go to parties occasionaly but I really mostly listen at home. I'm trying to catch up with the pre 2000 psy/goa since I wasn into it then.

HEY KOOL-AID WHATS UP. ITS TASSO. HAVENT SEEN U AROUND RECENTLY. WHAT U DOIN NOWADAS. PM ME

10 years ago I was 10,  :D  listening to some cheesy Dance stuff ( 2 Unlimited, etc.)

414081[/snapback]

"There's no limit, no, no... no, no, noo, no.... no, no, noo, no... no, no, there's no limit."

Those are the lyrics to their biggest hit.

• 2 months later...

10 years ago i was 14 and i wasnt really much into music..sometimes i used to listen to some metalica ,iron maiden,prodigy crap in parties at school with meatballs and chips:)) and ..then around 96-97 i think, i came across to some israeli goa trance music and it took my attention..although it sounded cheesy and fluffy it was something completely new and alien for my ears so for the next couple of years i wasted lot of money buying cds.but then i got bored because most of that goa stuff didnt really have much spirit..so i sold all of these cds...then i came across black metal genre and i was totally stuck with those raw guitars ..the years passed and one day around year 2000 i open the radio and i find by luck a station play some goatrance...but this wasnt really goa trance..it was darker harder and with more intense and crazy basslines..i think it was some early parasense,droidsect stuff and it sounded wicked!!the once dead for me goatrance genre suddenly came back to life with the form of psytrance...unlike goa emotional eastern melodies that stuff could blow your head into 1000 pieces...so for the next 2 years i continue to listen fanaticaly black metal and secondly that parasense style russian stuff..also that period i went to my first parties.

the year 2002 i started using internet and accidentaly i come across some early schlabbaduerst releases..i listen tracks like ka sol - waspnest,flying carpet,pricken botfb - demonoizer ....my god i say where the hell comes this music from?then i bought all the schlab releases and whenever i listened to them i felt i needed to go for a lobotomy:))the i combined it with acid and there was no return!!!once you listen to that stuff,you can never forget it and since then schlabbaduerst music is the 95% of all the electronic music i listen nowadays...and whenever i try to listen to some other psy project it sounds very plain cheesy and conservative compared to schlab.also i used to like some very early derango,logic bomb stuff..i hope schlab crew never become commercial and make music for money..i think the psychedelic spirit is alive and it will always be in the hearts of some individuals...

Hail schlabbaduerst records!!!

ohh this bring back good memories. 1996 was the best psy-year i think.

the first trance i ever heard was a demotape martin freeland(man with no name) played for me in a small store here in copenhagen back in 1993 i think it was.after that my music taste change like a switch from death metal to psytrance(more or less) :)

I bought my first compilation in 2003, with full-on and progressive. Then i bought Astral Projection "Dancing Galaxy" and "The Lone Deranger" by Hallucinogen. I think that's when i got hooked. The boom for me, though, was in the beginning of last year, when i really took time to learn a lot about the genre, and listen to lots of it.