10 years ago...

mars

Ten years ago I went to my first rock festival, for the very first time I danced on electronic music with thousands of people. Yep, the rock festival had acts like Daft Punk and The Prodigy lined up. I remember for the first time I saw people smoking 'drugs'. I also remember I chatted on the internet for the first time on this festival in a special internet van.

I fixed myself a date through the net that time.

And I almost touched Keith Flint.

Yep good times 10 years ago.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 years ago I was 9 years old... I don't really remember what music I used to listen, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

I first heard goa in... well in 1999 I guess, maybe even before that, but it was only because I used to listen to club music and a few goa tracks were played in a local dance radio I guess. But only in 2000 I started listening it knowingly. The first track that I heard and knew it was goa, was Infected Mushroom - Crazy D.

There was no psy scene in Estonia at that time (well, there basically isn't much today either), but my friend's older brother was into underground dance music and he had some Infected, Hallucinogen and Astral. At that time MP3s were starting to get popular (napster was legal!!) so it gave me also a chance to explore this new kind of music. So I got to dig it, especially Infected. When I heard Hallucinogen I thought it was quite boring and couldn't see what people who hyped it on internet (old psynews favourites section) found in it. But when I heard LSD I immideatley liked it and decided to give other Hallucinogen tracks a second chance. So as time passed I liked Hallucinogen more and more, until it became my absoulute favourite.

I'm quite unhappy that I wasn't older back in the mid '90s and lived somewhere where I could attend 'real' goa parties.

I must admit that I have never gone to a local psy party, although there are a few every year (except I half-attended one that was a part of a larger open-air edm festival). I guess one reason is, that none of my friends are much into psy anymore (they used to be when we discovered it together) and the other is that I'm afraid that it wouldn't be interesting to me and I would discover myself dancing to full-on in a damp cellar-club...

Anyway, cheers to everyone who were there in the very beginning :)

Very interesting thread I have to say! :) I also didn't really know about goa 10 years ago. I was 18 years old, allready listening to electronic stuff like Westbam, Marusha, regular trance but also a lot of other genres. I first heard about goa maybe 3 or 4 years later. Progressive was getting big in that time and after the first few very nice parties most DJs were only playing minimal and progressive. Really gave me the creeps but at last I was able to use the time to buy all the old releases from pre 99.

I really regret that I didn't went to parties 10 years ago. The whole techno/trance movement was way different from now, and so was goa. But maybe it was better to get used to parties and drugs when I was a bit older... ;)

I confess: Before 94 I thought electronic music had little or no content...

In 1995-96 (through Aphex Twin & The Orb I discovered techno as genre that I liked.

Later stuff by Green Velvet, Dave Clarke & Jeff Mills.

Started going out to clubs like Fuse & raves like Kozzmozz & the "I love Techno"-event. More heroes arose: Kevin Saunderson, Juan Atkins, Derrick May, DJ Sneak, Sven Vath...

Discovered "goa" in 1998, through ppl I met on the annual & legendary "10 days of techno". Via them I checked out some parties. Wo-ow what was thàt all about :) ? Fluo everywhere, crazy relentless dancers, beautyfull women & it didn't end until noon. Didn't really like the music, too fluffy for my taste, but I loved the atmosphere & spirit, especially on Open Airs!

I would continue to go to house & techno parties in all shapes & sizes (still do so today!) & from time-to-time go to psy-parties for afterhours :) In the beginning I got a lot of shit from narrowminded psy-ppl who didn't like the fact that "techno-headz" came to "their parties": so much for openmindedness ;) Of course this faded quickly...

Bought my first psy-cd in a second hand shop in 1999:

http://www.discogs.com/release/208935 I picked it because of the crazy cover & actually really liked the stuff by X-dream & SUN-project.

Around 2000 the progressive & psytek finally brought me a sound I really liked.

In Belgium this new music was embodied by DJ Aorta.

When I discovered SBK, Haldolium & Shiva Chandra I was really hooked!

Over those 8 years I gradually shifted from a coupple of psy parties a year,

to one each month,

then a coupple each month

& finally ended up doing one pretty much every week ;)

Although a lot has changed & most of the magic from those early parties indeed is gone, I find it hard to get the same satisfaction in other parties...

So I'll probably be doing festivals for the next 10years aswell!

nice thread Mars, i like reading all of these stories

I envy all of you lucky nutters who were enjoying the goa trance scene back in the mid nineties.

I was about 11y old back in '96 and didn't listen to any music at all.

My first experience with a little bit of "goa trance" music off some cheap'o compilations was in 2001 but all I could think was "those acid lines are killing my braincells".

Took me 3 more years until I was finally ready for it apparently! It was a buddy of mine who told me to listen to the newest Human Blue album (which was very nice indeed).

It was about time to get away from the 'regular' trance scene, which was starting to get filled up with more crap than a public toilet during the 17th century plagues.

Though thanks to the internet it took me just a couple of months to discover pretty much everything about labels, artists and forthcoming albums.

Plenty of good music around for me in all kinds of genres, but it would have been nice to discover it all back then in the clubs and on the radio, instead of having all info around you on the internet... but you can't turn back time, can you B)

Looking forward to other people's life-stories :P

Nice thread indeed

For me the story starts around 97-98

The thing is, I was listening to electronic music as long as I live thanks to my dad who liked Jazz, Blues, Classical... and Early New Beat, héhé :P (and now trance :P)

So I heard my first Goa-track, without realising in 94 because of an early trancemaster cd (Trancemaster 7, with the track Goa Subliminal on it, an early track by Asia 2001), I didn't get my attention tho, same for a Transwave track on a Trancemaster in 96 (I think nr 12)

That changed in 97

I bought some cds back then, and one of them was "after-hour 2"

http://www.discogs.com/release/139254

On this cd there were several goa and goa influenced tracks (for instance Grace was Paul Oakenfold, the Warlock track is 100% goa and also the Palefield Mountain track sounds very goa-ish), but the tracks I fell for 100% was Bypass Unit - Higher Spirituality

I searched my collection and discovered another track of them called "Cruiser" on a cd called "Generation Tripomatic"

My Webpage

This was the point of no return, I checked the internet and ordered a cd of these guys... (Green Dreams), and there was a sticker on it " 100% goa trance"

So I know at that time how my favourite style was called, soon I could find some Goa Heads in stores and there it all started of course!

The first party for me happened in 98, it was mindblowing, I HATED going out before that because it was so dumb (for me) on those small local parties... But it changed SOOON :D I started to go out once every 3-4 weeks (lol, that was the amount of goa parties in Belgium) while the amount of parties increased my going out-amount increased too :P

Around 2000 I also started dj-ing, and since that moment I go out almost every weekend and I spend most of the time with the music somehow (party-ing, running the label, dj-ing, just listening,...)

Aaahh, Good old times :)

10 years ago...

I, like many of you, was listening to Hallucinogen, Total Eclipse, Juno Reactor, Doof etc.. I was addicted to clubbing in those days, used to go every weekend and afterwards usually ended up, high as a kite, in some strangers house not knowing where I was or how I was going to get home. My best memories though are of tripping at underground raves in abandoned quarries and wooded valleys.

Maybe it's the result of looking back through a decade-old purple fog but life seemed better back then, the drugs were cleaner, the women smiled more warmly, the music was better, the wind was gentler, even the rain seemed less wet.

Good memories.

10 years ago i was 14 and living in Cape Town. I can hardly remember that far back. (i can hardly remember what happened on new years eve 4 days ago). I was in Standard 7, or Grade 9. I was really into Metal and Alternative back then. Nirvana, Metalica, Pantera, Sepultura, shit like that. I also started "blazing the chronic" that year. Very soon afterwards my interests in music also included Pink Floyd, The Beatles and Cypress Hill. I was well into skateboarding and having long hair and wearing clothing a few sizes too big etc.

The first psy album I heard was 100% certain "The Gathering" (IM). My mate copied it for me (hey! mp3s were legal back then!) and I remember being amazed at the quality of the production and the atmophere it created. I cant remember when this was though :(

I went to my first psy party in 99. I had been going to raves and euphoric trance parties for ages before though. i dropped that like a bad habit after my first festival though.

i think the biggest shock for me was this. i had take acid a few times before going to psy parties. and i thought, that taking 2 hits of acid at the same time at your 1st psy festival would be "managable".

2 hours later, huddled under a blanet, in a tent, i remember saying "acid isnt supposed to do this......its not supposed to do this.....?" not realising the combination of the psychedelic atmosphere and music was going to drive me into pure insanity. for the 1st time. i left that party 2 days later a changed man. a fried man. but a changed man.

Guest djnemo

10 years ago, I was playing 4-5 days a week in various clubs, and it was a wonderful time. Parties everywhere, clubs everywhere, and everyone was cool. I remember 1996 to be a very good year for both psychedelic trance and conventional trance.

Nostalgia is nice, but then again, things have to evolve. Sometimes, though, Evolution goes in directions that you dont agree with. (to not sound too negative about todays music hehe)

Guest djnemo

+back then there probably where lots of releases that were not introduced to people because there was no way to share. but i guess im offtopic :).

spirit isnt lost,but inviroment/situation is different now.

407465[/snapback]

DAT's were those days peer 2 peer ;)

Guest Elysium

DAT's were those days peer 2 peer ;)

407890[/snapback]

But a very small group of peers ;) Simply because portabel DAT players/recorders were very expensive and you needed 2 to swop music.

Posted Image

So "normal" people rarely swopped DAT's.... Oh and the DAT tapes were very expensive too.. One tape was about the same price as a CD today.

Posted Image

Actually all the peer to peer swopping (in a larger scale) started when the first Minidisc's came on the market...

Posted Image

They were not so expensive and suddently people could swop music instead of listening to recorded Audio tapes or buy CD's. But stil it was not as easy as today where 50 empty CD's cost nothing and every PC comes with a CD burner and almost everybody got ADSL lines.

And we also bought a lot of music too :)

Edited by Elysium

yeah md s were the thing every travelling trancer needs

you meet people on the road, and swap musics

it was a shock for me to find out, the quality was impressive too

people even dj ed on mds back then and there were a few original md releases as well

:)

Guest Elysium

people even dj ed on mds back then and there were a few original md releases as well

407973[/snapback]

It was also the beginning of massive peer 2 peer as we know it today.

there was some good electronic music released in 1996.. and then everything went down. it's just starting to get back to that level again, imo.

407973[/snapback]

I have the Are You Shpongled? MD from Twisted Records. *proud*

Hey mars, very nice thread! I think I'm a bit less (~9 years) in the PsyTrance area, and my first tape was the Prana - Geomantik, and then the first CD was a mix by Tsuyoshi Suzuki (maybe it's the same that you heard?) with tracks by Transwave, Electric Universe, Green Nuns etc. First CD's and favourites were the Transwave, Hallucinogen, Cosmosis, Shakta, Quirk, Chakra & Edi Mis, Juno Reactor, Oforia and more.

Also I was young in the 97-99 (14-16), it took few years to own a collection of 300 CD's and then I also remember that MD mania and I had loads of that too. Funny moment: in junior high I brought the psy to a school party, and danced like nobody's watching :lol: That year I became the official dancer in the school hahaha...

Old good times B)

ND

Hey mars, we started listening to goa trance at the same time, back in 95. Those were definitely the days. I remember that I have been going to small psychedelic parties back then before I bought Pulse 1 & 2 in 1996 and since then I am absolutely hooked and haven't stop listening to it ever since. I followed the progression of the sound, realising that the more it progressed the more it regressed later on. The definiton of psychedelia could be easily put in the age between 95 and 00. By that time, there were SO MANY quality releases released. In 2000 the famous 'progression' started but for me it was just a regression...Okay we got progressive genre developed which I like very much but psychedelic started to go down the drain. Full on appeared and destroyed psychedelic completely, but there were still minimal and progressive rising. I am glad for those two genres, they are very intelligent and precise but I still miss wild, demented cosmic journeys that are very rarely or almost NONE made in past few years.

So, I am entirely with you mars with your label now and think again of releasing Chi-A.D. - Earth Crossing album which I already suggested it few months back. Bring us back the madness...;):)

I was a little late to the scene, around '98/'99. Ten years ago I was finishing up my undergrad degree and getting ready for the hop into graduate school, so I was focused on other things. When grad school didn't work out, I moved back to Chicago and got a job and my own apartment. I quickly realized I'd spent so much time in school that I never really had a chance to explore myself and my lighter, more playful interests.

Although I'd been writing music with synthesizers since 1988, I didn't actually hear real electronic music until 1997. It started with IDM: Higher Intelligence Agency, Autechre, stuff like that, and it revolutionized my life. Meanwhile, as I was getting off on that, I felt I needed something more upbeat and driving. The next revolution came with Empirion's Advanced Technology, which was, although not proper Goa, my first experience with fast-ish, acidic, aggressive yet melodic four-on-the-floor trance music. I became obsessed and started buying everything that even resembled that style. Before too long I'd found the popular stuff like Juno Reactor, Hallucinogen and Pleiadians, and labels like Blue Room, Flying Rhino and Hypnotic, and compilations like Goa-Head, and I just flat-out immersed myself. I loved how the music made me feel, and the escape it allowed. I felt like I was born to listen to it, like it just meshed with the electric make-up of my brain. I remember thinking to myself, "I can definitely see why they call this 'psychedelic,'" because with my eyes closed I would literally start to hallucinate.

And this was all without drugs. I actually have yet to try LSD or mushrooms. I have to admit, though, that I've smoked my share of pot, and it always made the music - any electronic music, for that matter - ten times more intense. And I've never experienced an outdoor party. I've always dreamed of being at a party in the woods in Sweden where the trolls and elves live, dancing all night long and into the morning.

So as soon as I had access to the Internet I found this place, which was, of course, goatrance.free.fr when I came here. It was amazing to me to meet so many other people who shared my own taste, and although I was coming fairly late and was somewhat underinformed, I was still welcomed with open arms, and that spirit continues today.

What is great about our community is that it is truly international, yet we share a common outlook on the world, and although we may live on the other side of the world from another member, we would still be immediately invited and accepted into that person's home if it were requested, and treated practically like family. I've been good friends with many psynews members, have met several of them, have stayed in several of their homes, and have learned many great lessons from each of them. I had no idea what I was really getting into when the music first entered my brain with such happy results.

And maybe it's the view of a relative latecomer, but I don't think the people or the scene has changed all that much in the seven or eight years I've been involved. People are still obsessed with drugs and inward excursions, are still complaining about the current trends, are still arguing about what music is the best, are still saying silly phrases like bom shankar (although "P.L.U.R." did drift away some years ago), and are still basically a bunch of loveable, fluo, psycho, sci-fi, hindu-buddhist hippie freaks, a group to which I feel I've always really belonged.

Anyway, that's my story.

This thread has been one of the more favorable topics I've seen here in years :-P okay, maybe not, but it caught my interest.

Ten years ago, I was 14. I was looking for a way out. I first smoked pot then. And amazingly, months after smoking my first bowl, I found out about Juno Reactor. I received a copy of Transmissions on CD. I was very impressed. I guess you can say it's goa-techno, whatever, it was acidic, and I loved it. This was my introduction to the US "rave" scene. Then I found regular trance. I loved that too. Having no idea that Juno Reactor was considered a sub-genre, goa trance. I figured what the hell, trance is trance. :) Well, whilst browsing the internet, I can't remember what site it was, I found a comparison chart with Juno Reactor and other artists being linked. That opened the doorway to my love for psy.

In 1997, after Bible of Dreams was released, I sort of backed down. It wasn't because I lost interest. A point of depression hit me, I wasn't musically inclined. Rock, Punk, Hip Hop, Electronica, etc....all the genres I liked, I hated for a point; it took about 7 months to get over. I sat in front of a computer, hacking the planet, wondering when the feds were going to knock down my door. Being a lil' fuck who had no life other than depression and "the computer was my best friend!"

Anyways, in 1998, I went to a party and found Ecstacy. Yes, I was late! =] I kept with pot smoking, but anyways, I took a pill, and after that, the wall had been broken. I am so thrilled that the wall had been broken. People came flowing into my life, and I felt light once again. Ever since, it's been an up and down battle, but when the love life takes the best of you away, you kind of sit there, sad. Thank you Shulgin for MDA/MDMA =]

P.S. There's a very recent article. I don't see that anyone posted it recently on psynews, but it's an interview with Shulgin:

http://www.mg.co.za/printPage.aspx?area=/i...rticleId=259958

Titled "Daddy of Ecstacy"

Enjoy! :) And btw, I no longer do x, it just broke me free of my bubble, and well, I guess I do take it once in a blue moon for the mood enhancing experience. So I lied, so what? :)

aARON

I've taken the liberty to upload an old psy-trance mix by danish dj Jens M called Hail the Fluffies as part of our "celebration". The mix mainly consists of tunes from 1997-1998 (see tracklist below). It's a great mix of some excellent tunes from that time. The mix used to be available at his website, but it is no more, so now I've made it temporarily available at yousendit:

Jens M - Hail the Fluffies (MP3 @ 192 kbps)

Tracklist (I've also created a cue file for the mix):

01. Infernal Machine - The Loin Sleeps Tonight

02. Space Cat - Kreak

03. Hallucinogen - Snarling (Remix)

04. Psykov - Megalithic

05. Orichalcum & The Deviant - Alien Homes

06. Etnica - Mind Altering Drugs

07. X-dream - Panic in Paradise

08. Slide - Waking Up To Chaos

Enjoy!

I have two things to add to this thread (besides my first post of course):

First about Devious' post: xtc did exactly the same to me. I wasn't a hacker but felt pretty lonely, depressed and generally like a piece of shit. After taking xtc for the first time, I've changed for the better. I still take it (more than only once in a blue moon) and I still love it.

And about the DJ mix: I'm sure going to download it, it looks great!!!! :)

I've taken the liberty to upload an old psy-trance mix by danish dj Jens M called Hail the Fluffies as part of our "celebration". The mix mainly consists of tunes from 1997-1998 (see tracklist below). It's a great mix of some excellent tunes from that time. The mix used to be available at his website, but it is no more, so now I've made it temporarily available at yousendit:

Jens M - Hail the Fluffies (MP3 @ 192 kbps)

410445[/snapback]

Thanks very much

Don't know the dj, curious to hear the mix