10 years ago...

mars

I always wanted to start this thread ;)

also removed the tagline "it was starting to be serious" that The Journey Man, rightly, didn't agree with

Well first 10 years ago I was still young but that's not the point here.

10 years ago I started listening to Goa Trance seriously. The first GoaTrance CD i had ever listened to was in june 95, thanks to my all-time friend Paco. We were on a week end and he had brought some CD mixed by DJ Tsuyoshi.

In the end of 95 I bought the LSD EP from this almost unknown guy : Hallucinogen. Oh you could hear it on Fun Radio in France sometimes during the day (it's a very commercial radio now) as it was actually distributed by Sony Music itself !!! At that time I didn't understand why it was called LSD. Now I even fear to listen to it cause it could blow my head :P

Posted Image

Hum, actually I loved the music and shortly after that, in early 96, I bought the full Twisted album that had been released in October 95 by the wonderful label Dragonfly Records. It was not alone, as the legendary Blue Room had also released at the same time Juno Reactor's Beyond the Infinite. Also that was the release year of Indoor's Progressive Trance (that name makes me smile now). Yeah with such diamonds, 95 was some turning point, no doubt.

If you were a Dragonfly customer, it was kind of an event, and you could stay in touch with these mighty producers with some form like that :

Posted Image

However, Ninety Six was truly a fantastic year for Psychedelic Trance as it became more widespread with releases such as

Total Eclipse's Violent Relaxation,

MFG's Prophecy,

Transwave's Helium and Phototropic,

Astral Projection's Trust in Trance

Asia2001's Live,

System7's Power of Seven,

etc...

I studied in Bordeaux at that time : what parties, My God, what parties we had in 96 with Total Eclipse, Moonweed and some local DJs, with everyone smiling all night, not even a second to breathe as we were literally torn by such beautiful and new music...raaaahhhhh !!!

Also in France with their so particular marketing strength, you could find some funny advertisements from Techno Import like that :

Posted Image

"Don't miss that event !', "The Trance Goa event of 96", "Psychedelic Trance like you've never heard it", "Available on CD and tape", "A psychedelic journey in the core of trance from which you won't return", "We fuck commercial music". They were poets :lol:

Ah 10 years ago....already :) .

I remember I spent the whole summer 96 tripping on the landscapes of Corsica with Goa Trance in my headphones. All looked shiny B)

But I didn't write all this to tell my life; I wanted to send some very warm greetings to those who started and made so much happen just 10 years ago.

Thanks.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

L.S.D is a fucking phenomenal track (and that's saying a lot coming from a person more into downtempo and less into any form of trance). Sooner or later I'm going to have to buy the Twisted album.

Guest The Journey Man Project

10 years ago for me it was not serious, it was about fun!! It was about tripping on good drugs down the beach as the sun rose to music that boggled the mind and mad you soul scream for more... it was about dancing next to Simon P outdoors for 6 hours, without even knowing who he was! It was about fun, excitement and being a part of something small and special, something that died a long time ago but still lives in a small few... it wasn;t serious, it was perfect!

Guest Elysium

10 years ago there were no "stars"... all people were equal in the scene and you could come as you were (in a suit if you liked). The music was done without faces attached to the music which also made it truely universal because no one knew where the music came from.

And most music was made for the nature experience and not for clubs.

Edited by Elysium

Oh I could spend the whole night detailing all those who did something great for PsyTrance back in the days (wow you released your 3rd album in 1996 Kristian), still you're definitely right.

I met Children in february 2000 I think, but it will be Psynews birthday in a couple of weeks and maybe I'll tell you more then :P

I remember being off my head on som really nice acid in 1996 (was 16 at the time) at a beach at sun rise, and I heard for the first time the start of Hallucinogen - "L.S.D" live... by the end of the track I had tears streaming donw my face, and the colours and patterns I was seeing, just mind blowing to this day... the only other thing that cames close was hearing I think one of the guys from California Sunshine do a dj set starting with Summer '89... in Israel... very similar trip... in '97... never been back like that since about 1999... haven't been to a gig since 2002... it just really sucks now!

I took acid, for the last time, in 1999... and I could taste the evil in the chemicals when I put it under my tongue... worst trip ever... and that;s when I knew this scene was over for me... my mind, body and soul laid it out for me to see... I still buy the music and enjoy some new stuff, but my spirit is back in '96-'96, nothing can bring those years back...

Edited by The Journey Man

OOOoooooh I do understand !!!

Maybe you should pay yourself a trip to Belgium one of these days. There are still excellent GoaTrance activists there. I spent one of my very best parties in feb 2004 there, with no drugs, and only GoaTrance and galore smiles till noon :):):)

By the way you most probably tried Slinky Wizard's "The Wizard" under the influence too. I wonder how it's possible to survive to that.

Heh one of my first psytrance parties was also seeing Hallucinogen live after the release of Twisted, I think in 1995. It's been a fun adventure ever since then *has a moment of nostalgia*

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Oh I could spend the whole night detailing all those who did something great for PsyTrance back in the days (wow you released your 3rd album in 1996 Kristian), still you're definitely right.

I met Children in february 2000 I think, but it will be Psynews birthday in a couple of weeks and maybe i'll tell you more then  :P

407436[/snapback]

WARNING french speaking:

(voix de jean pierre foucault) Alors mon cher Mars, bienvenue dans sacrée soirée!

On a retrouvé pour vous , un vieil ami à vous , que vous avez pas vu depuis longtemps, il est là derrière le rideau, on l'a retrouvé, ca a été dur...

est-ce que vous voulez qu'on le fasse venir?

Mais prenez d'abord un mouchoir...au cas ou vous pleureriez...

Mais tout de suite une page de pub!

For those who are wondering what i tell in french, don't worry it's just pure bullshit :D

well after my year in Japan this year, starting Jan 31... Amilia and I plane to do a trip of europe hopefully (if I have the money saved)... Spain is big on our list as Amilia loves some shoe brand from there, Campers I think it's called... I wanna go to Romania as it was the only place I missed on my tour of eastern europe... Belgium might also go on the list, to see you Mars and have some talks about fun times in the past and for me to see what is happening now... also am going to France, never been there and I wanna see some of the works of art...

yeah while drugs were nice to try, it was just a period of life, nothing to really say or promote... it's cool if you do it, it's cool if you don't... I could always trip without them, but sometimes the trip was better with them... I hate how drugs have become such a trend now... you shouldn;t even feel the need to talk about it, it's personal, not a shared moment

You know, I'm not Belgian, I'm French, living in Paris but I party more in Belgium than in Paris, just to stress how their parties can be good !!!

The Wizard thing was only a joke. Sometimes I listen to old tracks and say "Oh God how trippy it is without any help !!" I second you, it's personal, and after all no drugs is no doubt the best choice.

Guest Elysium

also am going to France, never been there and I wanna see some of the works of art...

Paris is a beautiful town and very interesting.... Louvre is a must and so is Montmartre and Boulogne. Go at Springtime :)

But do go south to Montpelier and that area... It's stunning. And the wine is amazing....hmmm remind me of that I like to visit my friends there soon :)

sorry highly off-topic haha :)

Edited by Elysium

will do Mr Elysium ;) Oh and Denmark, I had lots of un there when I went for my brother's wedding, Amilia didn;t go, and I want her to visit... loved allt he castle's... and off course Princess Mary of Tasmiania, Oz hehe.. I can claim I'm part Danish :lol:

My first contact with goa/psy was in 99 when I heard Astral Projection - Astral Files & Another World. My conclusion was that only drugged up junkies could listen to it longer than a couple of minutes. :P "This stuff gives me headache"

Still I got more goa, some friends had cd's etc so it was always there in the background. I got more and more into goa/psy over the years and by 2002-2003 it was my main genre.

I feel like I've written this 2 times already, hmm.

you peeps can be lucky that you werent kids back then and that you lived and that this culture was drived by people from rich and developed countries :) now its more available and i can imagine how it used to be back then and i wish i would be there :)

but, there still are things that can be done and vibe can be brought back :D, only difference that now its broader available through mp3 which is good and bad,if now we have lots of wankers who have no idea what are they listening to and where they are then +

Guest Elysium

yeah while drugs were nice to try, it was just a period of life, nothing to really say or promote... it's cool if you do it, it's cool if you don't... I could always trip without them, but sometimes the trip was better with them... I hate how drugs have become such a trend now... you shouldn;t even feel the need to talk about it, it's personal, not a shared moment

407444[/snapback]

I understand what you mean but really people talked just as much about drugs in the good old days and sure did a lot of promotion too.. Just look at the title of the track you all talk about here.... L.S.D ;)

The only difference is that today there's so many more ways to promote it and by that it get's more visible... The internet is one huge promotion tool. Funny that 10 years ago we did not have e-mail, internet, Ip-phones, mobile-phones (well some had car-phones), PC's in every home (except for those who were very rich), chatroom and forums :)

Guest Elysium

+back then there probably where lots of releases that were not introduced to people because there was no way to share. but i guess im offtopic :).

spirit isnt lost,but inviroment/situation is different now.

407465[/snapback]

Actually most produced music (released or not) was played in the parties and people did not really care who artist x was or to have all the music at home. Like today with the massive "collectors".. They cared about the party experience and the music at that moment in the party and I can assure you that most music was indeed played at parties simply because the artists and DJ's (most of them artists too) exchanged their music with eachother and by this way most music ended up at the parties and got it's fair chance to capture the people on the dancefloors.

Edited by Elysium

about the drugs yeah I guess I just find it so in our faces now-a-days, whereas 10 years ago, as Elysium said, there was no mass media nor internet... how simple was life back then hehe ? actually I didn't really buy a cd of this music untill 1998... my sister had some before then, but I only listened at parties...

I discovered goa trance in 1996. My first purchases were Deep Trance and Ritual Beats (Return to the Source) and Distance to Goa 3 (Substance). It was a great introduction to the music I consider to be the most important of my life.

I don't listen to the old releases that much these days because they're too emotional, intense and trippy, I only save them for really special occasions.

Boom Shiva! :D

Hello!

Nice nostalgic discussion here...:)

I started listening to goa trance for real in 1995. At that time I was mostly recording goa trance on tapes from radio etc... One of the first goa CDs I bought was Digital Alchemy:

http://www.discogs.com/release/140091

Tribal Science:

http://www.discogs.com/release/93489

and Man With No Name - Momenth Of Truth:

http://www.discogs.com/release/81584

Anyway, I have to dissagree that people weren't focused on the artists at that time... Personally I fast discovered the difference in talent between the artists, and became quickly obsessed by checking out my favourite artists, what they released etc. I didn't have internet at that time, but the stores that sold goa trance were often sending out paper lists of releases by post... That's how I found out about things... Dj's on the radio were also good "teachers". When I first time saw my favourite artists live (such as KoxBox), for me, they were not just some dancing people in the crowd, but guys I was really admireing..:) I was always checking which artists who were playing where etc... Goa trance was never as commercial in Norway as around 1996-97. They played Man With No Name tracks on national TV here at that time...!

And yes, psytrance/goa trance has always had a strong connection with drugs. Way too much in my opinion, which also has made the scene quite unacceptable in most countries... Now it's gone back to complete underground in Norway... Why? Because most of the people who found the music intersting at that time, has left the scene because they don't find themselves in todays psytrance. Too much drugs in the scene also has destroyed a lot of people. Heroin started to be almost accepted among several people in the scene after a while etc. The big focus on drugs, also made the police look at the scene as a problem etc.

Anyway, the vibes are still around us. It's just harder to find these days, and the global festivals around the world on various exotic places such as Turkey, Morocco, Samothraki etc, is todays answer to the place Goa. That's where the tribe meets to dance under the moon together, watch the stars and go mad, just like in the old days...

PKS