I dowloaded Reason 3 demo

Firts thing that we need to get clear is:

I never used reason before and all i knew about it, was that it uses an interface that reminds the era were eltronic music was made on workstations only, and sequencers music out on computers was out of the question

Second thing: When i made that topic called "Abistnence" wasnt about an artistic breakdown. It was about the fact that i will be away from home (hence the production home) and spent a three months vocations away from my PC. Althou that topic took such a nice direction i decided to keep with my lie, like George from Seinfeild

Hence this whole demo dowloading thing a reflection on my needs to experiment alternatives, while i am away from home

Now.... what i think about Reason:

Its a very hard software to get the first thing going. And as was a demo, there was no manual. The way i had to learn on how to extract sounds was from the very dodgy help section.

It took me hours to know that the Tab button turns the backdrop of the "hardwares" and do the conections. I still didnt find where the hell they say about this on the help menu... i end up getting that on a reason review i read on an old magazine....

The sound quality of reason owns sound banks is very good, and i still have to learn on how to work on those synthetizers. As i dont have any hardware device with me right now, i will have to deeply trust on those sounds banks

The mixer, i found somewhat confusing. I guess that all sounds and effects used has to be connect with the synths as also for the efects send.... i still dint figure out on how to put a simple delay on a effect

Overall, i found the program very instigating, and an amazing potencial for editing, and it is very CPU friendly

also has a very nice sound engine, it seens.

I still dint get the "reason" behind it, but i had heard many times that is a very easy programn to use.

I know that is not like a puzzle( as any sequencer should be) , i just need to get the grips on it

So after i realized to do some simple conections i got some problems and some questions

I would be very grateful for anything that would send me some light here :unsure:

1- What is the "reason" behind the programn?( for ex the CV and the backdrops conections that are so unique of reason)

2- Every loop or melody you create has to be made on the Matrix? And how do you put the loop on the sequecing window?

3-What does the combinator does? how does it works in practice?

4- What is the primary things i should know?

for ex, how to create a 4/4 kick, and keep sequecing that beat throu the track on the arrange window? Or a even better ex... what is the basiscs i should know about the whole backdrop conections?

PS: I know its just a demo, but i need to learn the basics about the programn, because i am getting myself a full version real soon

Any reasons freaks here? :rolleyes:

Guest The Journey Man Project

I dunno but maybe you could contact Talamasca, I think his second albumwas made completely using Reason...

I know reason in and out (: I could probably produce something in my sleep.

I have to go to work now, but I'll be back later to answer your questions

So after i realized to do some simple conections i got some problems and some questions

I would be very grateful for anything that would send me some light here :unsure:

1- What is the "reason" behind the programn?( for ex the CV and the backdrops conections that are so unique of reason)

You'll have to ask propellerhead about this one :lol:

But IMO, I think it's the best program on the market. I know there's a lot of fuzz about "uugh, there's no support for VST's!". But I really don't mind, there's so much more you can do with the reason synthesizers. And there are rumors that the next version will support VST's, which will make reason the most powerful program IMO.

2- Every loop or melody you create has to be made on the Matrix? And how do you put the loop on the sequecing window?

No, you don't have to make every melody in the Matrix, you can connect any MIDI-controller to reason and create your melodies that way.

I've made a little tutorial for you on how to get your melodies from the Matrix to the sequencing window.

3-What does the combinator does? how does it works in practice?

The combinator is just what it sounds like, it can combine the different devices that you desire, and then you can save it as one. In other words; you can create a synth just the way you like it. You can for example create a Subtractor, a Malström, a NN19 and a NNXT, add effects to them and then control them all by connecting a Matrix to the combinator, thus giving you a more powerful sound. It's a bit hard to do a sumary of it, because you can do so much (: Just experiment a bit and discover for yourself.

4- What is the primary things i should know? 

for ex, how to create a 4/4 kick, and keep sequecing that beat throu the track on the arrange window? Or a even better ex... what is the basiscs i should know about the whole backdrop conections? 

You don't really need to worry about the backdrop connections, because reason handles this itself. But it's still there so that you can connect everything in any way possible. But that's a bit more advanced, so I suggest not to begin with that yet (:

I've made a tutorial for your 4/4 kick too.

Hope my reply was of any use to you :)

Wow xphiaz :)

Thats what i call sharing some light B)

Thanks a lot mate! You dont know how helpful this was for me

The tutorials are incredibly well done and easy to understand

I could now create my first loops on the Reason :)

Really, Really........awesome

Wow xphiaz :)

Thats what i call sharing some light B)

Thanks a lot mate! You dont know how helpful this was for me

The tutorials are incredibly well done and easy to understand

I could now create my first loops on the Reason :)

Really, Really........awesome

407263[/snapback]

No, thank you for giving me something to do :D I'm happy that it was useful to you (: Just ask me about anything else you need to know, and I'll whip together a tutorial for that to. :rolleyes:

I got a somewhat kind of simple question

Basically, i dont know how to use the pattern sequencer on the matrix in order to change the sound

I mean, i go to the mixer and then create a subtractor for the bass for ex. after setting the bass, i want use subtractor for a pad for ex. I have to create another matrix just for the new sound

What i mean is that i still dont know how to use the matrix on the various effects i want to create. Especially if i want too diferent synths like subtractor and Malstorm on the same matrix.... is that possible?

My problem is:

Its one matrix per sound, wich i know its wrong

Hi stalker,

the idea behind reason is that if you want to make a new sound, you make a new subtractor, make a new matrix and make the pad with that. when making pads it is usually useful to make long notes, to do that you should press the small "tie" button on the matrix. (left bottom)

you can actually hook up more matrixes to one synth, but perhaps that's too advanced for now.

oh, and I think xiphiaz forgot to mention in his otherwise great tutorial that when you have copied the kick drum pattern to the sequencer, you should press the button "enable pattern section" on the redrum drum computer and switch it off (it is on as a default) otherwise reason will play both the kickdrum from the pattern AND the sequencer, making it twice as loud. (and often distorted)

if you don't understand, let me know and I will (try to) explain in more detail

good luck

Auryn

I got a somewhat kind of simple question

Basically, i dont know how to use the pattern sequencer on the matrix in order to change the sound

I mean, i go to the mixer and then create a subtractor for the bass for ex. after setting the bass, i want use subtractor for a pad for ex. I have to create another matrix just for the new sound

What i mean is that i still dont know how to use the matrix on the various effects i want to create. Especially if i want too diferent synths like subtractor and Malstorm on the same matrix.... is that possible?

My problem is:

Its one matrix per sound, wich i know its wrong

408801[/snapback]

Let's see if I've got this right; you want to control multiple devices with one matrix?

Here you go, made you another tutorial (:

Let's see if I've got this right; you want to control multiple devices with one matrix?

Here you go, made you another tutorial (:

408913[/snapback]

Another great Tutorial :)

I really apreciate your help xphiaz

I would never be able to learn those things so easily and fast, like with those tutorials.....

Btw

I am having a great fun by exploring and learning Reason

i found the sounds banks amazing and the Malstorn synth its simply great!

Another great Tutorial :)

I really apreciate your help xphiaz

I would never be able to learn those things so easily and fast, like with those tutorials.....

Btw

I am having a great fun by exploring and learning Reason

i found the sounds banks amazing and the Malstorn synth its simply great!

408937[/snapback]

My pleasure (: Anything for a fellow musician! :D

Nice to see some people are willing to help. :D

The tutorial was really clear, there's no need for me to give more details so I'll just give a few advices.

I've been using reason for nearly 6 month and there are many things I have'nt used a single time : the Dr Rex loop player, the BV512, the "group/ungroup" options and the combinator. I also very rarely use the Matrix pattern sequencer. You'll soon discover that the the sequencer offers much more control than the matrix so you'd better get used to it right now. Same goes for the pattern sequencer of the redrum.

So to sum it up, don't use the rack window when you can use the sequencer window.

I've uploaded the getting startted manual on yousendit.com if you don't have it ;)

http://s16.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2M9F49D...FS2576IVWXVGXMB