dipping my toe into non-progressive!

heva

Okies, so I have decided I want to see what's happening in the world of psytrance outside the realms of progressive. I've been listening to mostly just prog for ages, and I need suggestions on alternatives. Don't worry not getting bored of prog just fancy something new...

I used to be well into spirallianz/midi milliz/old xdream and other artists like those and still like to listen every now and again. Also like the stuff released on digital psionics (twisted aussie stylee). But I am totally out of the loop with anything that's been released lately.

So has anyone got any suggestions on what I should listen to? What's new and good??? I am quite picky, I'm not impressed with a lot of full on and I have no time for remixes of old pop tracks...

Mwah! Looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend

Ta :D

have you checked out the older stuff?oh i just saw that you whant new stuff..... :)

new and good:(imo)

dissociactive/blockout

para halu/world of peace

droidlock/elephantronica

wizzy noise/sabotage part 1

toi doi-psyring test

mr.peculiar-mind dala

here you have some suggestions...i myself prefeer to listen to very melodic music when i fell that way,i guess its cause progg is depeer slower and some times darker and harder, so some nice floating goa trance is nice for a change.....

My opinion - there's not much good new stuff being released at the moment.

Prometheus, Ott and Shulman are well worth checking out and are all releasing new albums later this year, other than them I'd recommend looking for older albums you missed the first time round. Eighty percent of the psy trance albums I purchased last year were oldies and I generally enjoyed them considerably more than the new releases I bought.

Yesh new stuff pleasey! I need convincing that newer more full on psytrance isn't all generic and boring.....*cough* only joking. No I used to be well into more darker psy and I just haven't been able to find anything new in that style that I liked...

:)

My opinion - there's not much good new stuff being released at the moment.

Oh. That's what I thought as well, I was kind of hoping I was wrong and had been living in a little proggy bubble missing out on some quality releases.

*waits patiently for more suggestions*

Prometheus, Ott and Shulman are well worth checking out and are all releasing new albums later this year, other than them I'd recommending looking for older albums that you missed the first time around. Eighty percent of the psy trance albums I purchased last year were oldies and I enjoyed them considerably more than the new releases I bought.

406772[/snapback]

Ye I have loads of older albums....there's lots of gems out there. I'll certainly be keeping my pies peeled for new ott and shulman, like them both (not as convinced by prometheus tho).

:D

I was disappointed with Unusual Suspects 2, it's predecessor is much better in my opinion.

406793[/snapback]

Actually I was a little disappointed with both of them but I like a bit more the second. I couldn't think anything else to recommend... maybe there are some if you dig deep... oh... new Blue Planet Corporation is coming this year... that should be good.

I used to be well into more darker psy and I just haven't been able to find anything new in that style that I liked...

:)

406773[/snapback]

Have you checked "Deviant Species - In the hands of the randomizer" then? It´s not that new anymore but it´s a rocker, not really full on and not really proggy either, something inbetween I´d say.

Another good one is "RAM - Efficient chips", good stompy full on, yet not the usual one (not that new as well).

Other albums: Ghreg on Earth, Procs, Derango...

Have a wild ride :)

Good idea to keep an open mind & ear, Heva.

For me personally, last coupple of years I prefer to look in the chill-dept. for my proggy alternatives. But aparently there's no shortage of suggestions here...

I used to be really into the whole psytek-thing too, but these days it seems I just can't take that "harder-than-concrete"stuff anymore, at least not at home. But if that's what you're looking for, check out labels like Horns & Hoofs, Gravity+ or good old Boshke Beats.

Also I'm pretty sure you'd like some progressive house too. I'm rediscovering older stuff by Deep Dish or Global Underground-mixes by Danny Tenaglia these days.

As for the more trancy stuff: don't look at me... :)

I liked the Nystagmus album a lot, it has great samples in it and it's by far not the standart full-on. Don't know if it fits your style, it's very melodic (but not in a cheesy way imho).

if you fancy something different you might also consider looking at this:

Superpitcher - Today (mix cd) on the german label Kompakt records.

it's kind of like progressive, but also quite psychedelic in places. No crazy blasting though.

Guest The Journey Man Project

if you want some nice dark twisted styles I suggest the following:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/nai/nai1cd003.html

the datakult vs infect insect is pure bliss!!

for me this was the only realy really good release last year in 4/4 music...

in ambient:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/aja/aja1cd001.html

got this last night... listened to it 5 times already, very nice dub styles, with alien landscapes and some nice 4/4 styles... if you like dark night time psy trance you'll enjoy this alot...