vinyl/lp ripping -> wav -> mp3

devious

Okay, so I'm trying to begin the HUGE task of converting my vinyl over to MP3 for my personal pleasure since I've began the CD collecting that I've put off for so long :-D

Anyways, I would like to ask you folks this who are familiar with ripping vinyl:

My setup consists of Soundforge 8, and a hardware device designed for ripping particularly vinyls (xitel inport). Anyways, technical concern is this:

When ripping a track and then playing back, the basslines seem incredibly thunderous. You can hear the track but man, the basslines take over. I'm wondering if ANYBODY knows if this is normal and if there's any measures that can be taken to drop the thunderous bass and try to attenuate or to reproduce the bass line that comes from the vinyl, thus making it less overpowering?

To answer any potential questions ask, I've done 24bit/96k as well as 16bit/44.1k and I did noticed a little less thunderous bass in the 16bit world, but ummm can someone perhaps break down what's up with vinyl? How do they usually go about "mastercutting" a record?! Thanks :-D

Aaron

of first... when ripping from vinyl to wav's few imperfections might come along with the ripping Ray Gun is particularly good for those cases removing pop's rumbles and hums...

as for the wave question go with 24bit if you can... no use going any lower without a reason... except that it sounds bad... oh wait it does.. hmm

of first... when ripping from vinyl to wav's few imperfections might come along with the ripping Ray Gun is particularly good for those cases removing pop's rumbles and hums...

as for the wave question go with 24bit if you can... no use going any lower without a reason... except that it sounds bad... oh wait it does.. hmm

405308[/snapback]

Hehehe! Yeah, I guess I wouldn't say it sounds horrible. If say I leave the receiver @ -35db for the actual record, the bass kicks out *this is without the subwoofer* and it's kind of thunderous, but not enough to feel it with the speakers. After the track is ripped and it's played through the digital format (wav file) then I get that increase by at least 20-25% which is a definite noticable increase, ugh. It doesn't so much overlap with the mids or the highs, but the bass is just crazy :-D and seems like my woofer is on low volume.

Thanks for the link by the way. It'll help. A lot of vinyl I have are well taken care of, gruv-glided to shit and for the most part, next to no scratches, even minor ones on most of them :-D.

<- devious is trying to catch up with the digital age, hehe!

Aaron

P.s. any ideas anyone on the bass issue? :)

Hehehe!  Yeah, I guess I wouldn't say it sounds horrible.  If say I leave the receiver @ -35db for the actual record, the bass kicks out *this is without the subwoofer* and it's kind of thunderous, but not enough to feel it with the speakers.  After the track is ripped and it's played through the digital format (wav file) then I get that increase by at least 20-25% which is a definite noticable increase, ugh.  It doesn't so much overlap with the mids or the highs, but the bass is just crazy :-D and seems like my woofer is on low volume.

Thanks for the link by the way.  It'll help.  A lot of vinyl I have are well taken care of, gruv-glided to shit and for the most part, next to no scratches, even minor ones on most of them :-D.

<- devious is trying to catch up with the digital age, hehe!

Aaron

P.s. any ideas  anyone on the bass issue? :)

405309[/snapback]

You know, I'm technically foolish these days with computers :-D. I've never been a computer sound guy, quite honestly. It was my own fault. I forgot the way the record player *HAHA you're going to laugh at me :-D* sounds is controlled by only the receiver while the soundcard is playing through the computer which is controlled by both the computer AND the receiver, so :-D I just had to make some adjustments to the stupid EQ proggy that comes with my motherboard, ugh i hate technology.

Thanks though dude for the link for that program. I'll look into it when I find some records that need some serious help. Right now, I'm ripping:

http://www.discogs.com/release/48927

It's in perfect collecting condition and not a scratch to be found. So I figure for testing and getting everything setup this would be the perfect one, and a great record set at that :-D

Any digital audio tips anyone can give me though would be great. :-)

Aaron (the duh-man)

he devious, a bit off -topic, i too have the holy mushroom vinyl and while bought cheaply second hand it's not in great condition (although not bad at all..), the begginig of "Etnica-Mystical Appearance In Goa" seems recorded awfully low in volume.

you have the same problem with your copy or just my luck on the pressing?

he devious, a bit off -topic, i too have the holy mushroom vinyl and while bought cheaply second hand it's not in great condition (although not bad at all..), the begginig of "Etnica-Mystical Appearance In Goa" seems recorded awfully low in volume.

you have the same problem with your copy or just my luck on the pressing?

405334[/snapback]

Well, mine is perfectly new and yes, the beginning is *VERY* quiet. For the first 2-3 minutes, I forgot how long that ....slow intro goes for, but yes, that track, the beginning, is most definitely a quiet one :) It's not your copy, it's all of them

Aaron