Timestretching

Ok, I have 2 tracks, one at 140 bpm, the other at 149 and I want to mix them.

So I change both their tempos to about halfway at 144 bpm while keeping the pitch intact (I want that because they are in harmony at some point)... but now both tracks sound fucked up.

So I guess this method is only useful for changing tempo with 1 or 2 BPM at max?

It seems 4 is a bit too much. I use Mixmeister btw. Is there better software for timestretching or is it simply impossible to get this right?

Yup, it all comes down to the timestretch algorithm... Mathematical/theoretically, it should be possible to stretch 10-15 % without any audible sound quality-loss. I don't know any particular programs, but try to find a stretcher that uses the phase-vocoding principle. :)

-A

I guess it also depends on what you define as 'audible loss of quality'

405104[/snapback]

I define it as "no way can one ever tell the difference" :) - I know it's possible, I've heard music slow down and stop completely, without quality loss... It was classical music though, but still. The timestretcher was written by one of my uni-professors, and it was veeeery good. I think I actually have the source-code somewhere, but it's a couple of years ago... I'll let you know if I find it :)

-A

• 1 month later...

Cubase, and Wavelab, uses an algorithm called MPEX and it's really good for time stretching, compressing and transposing audio material.

Good luck!

thank you.  I wish I could afford that book.

edit: cunts give you a five page taste.

435227[/snapback]

Goodness gracious, yes - that is expensive. I remember it as half that price or so :o

- If you look through the table of contents, you can find names of algorhithms, and maybe google them - they should be out there :)

-A

Yeah, the book refers to Matlab.  I am mostly interested in the theory

behind it.

435862[/snapback]

i wish i could help you with the theory but its been years since i last touched matlab, or some production tool.

here are some waypoints:

with matlab, you can open wav files as x,2 matrices (each column for each speaker and each line for the sample taken each hertz)

try to find an algorithm to process this type of matrix, or you'll first have to break the main wav into its frequency groups (ie, high frequency sounds seperated) and thats tricky.

and for info on signal processing, you'll need an engineering background, probably.

Yeah, the book refers to Matlab.  I am mostly interested in the theory

behind it.

435862[/snapback]

It's been three years, since I read DAFX - but I'm pretty sure MatLab is sort of implied in it - and used as a tool for teaching the algorhithms. The theory of DSP is the main focus, and exemplified in MatLab.

-A

i wish i could help you with the theory but its been years since i last touched matlab, or some production tool.

here are some waypoints:

with matlab, you can open wav files as x,2 matrices (each column for each speaker and each line for the sample taken each hertz)

try to find an algorithm to process this type of matrix, or you'll first have to break the main wav into its frequency groups (ie, high frequency sounds seperated) and thats tricky.

and for info on signal processing, you'll need an engineering background, probably.

436051[/snapback]

Well, that's a start. But, it is a given more or less that each channel has

a Zx1 vector I assume right? Each component in the channel vector being

a 'bit' (0 or 1) of course. Begin conjecturing ramble:

Next I guess we need to interpolate the meaningless bits into an adequately

precise analog fourier series and then find the closest digital fit to that series.

This is an elaboration on what you mentioned, as is: now we take the digitally

measured frequencies (from the original gear of reasonable facsimile) and find the fourier

series associated with the rhythm components of the composition. Separate

out the rhythm constituents from the total series as suggested. Perform operation F(X)

where X is the rhythm vector corresponding to the digital fourier

series and F

is a 'complicated' timestretch operation. similarly perform operation

G(Z-X) = G(Y) with G being probably a different 'complicated' timestretch operation.

I suspect we can add a variety of constraints onto F,G to simplify

the goal but this is where I start having to pick up a book....perhaps way earlier..

Well, that's a start.  But, it is a given more or less that each channel has

a Zx1 vector I assume right?  Each component in the channel vector being

a 'bit' (0 or 1) of course.  Begin conjecturing ramble:

precise analog fourier series and then find the closest digital fit to that series.

measured frequencies (from the original gear of reasonable facsimile) and find the  fourier

series associated with the rhythm components of the composition.  Separate

out the rhythm constituents from the total series as suggested.  Perform operation F(X)

series and F

G(Z-X) = G(Y)  with G being probably a different 'complicated' timestretch operation.

the goal but this is where I start having to pick up a book....perhaps way earlier..

441606[/snapback]

And you are not overlooking now to develop the cursor in bi-overstepping vector simultation there? Say, let, sound be X divided by the number of notes f(x) the equation of which would be the interpolation of vector Z (Z off course being what would come out of the loud speakers :D) ...

I'm just glad that there are people out there like you who knows how to do this shite so the SkeletonMan gets some music to dance to ... Hope no offense taken guys !!! :rolleyes:

And you are not overlooking now to develop the cursor in bi-overstepping vector simultation there? Say, let, sound be X divided by the number of notes f(x) the equation of which would be the interpolation of vector Z (Z off course being what would come out of the loud speakers :D)  ...

I'm just glad that there are people out there like you who knows how to do this shite so the SkeletonMan gets some music to dance to ... Hope no offense taken guys !!! :rolleyes:

441685[/snapback]

Hope the SkeletonMan didn't offend any one there <_< Nah, I'm sure I didn't B)

Well, that's a start.  But, it is a given more or less that each channel has

a Zx1 vector I assume right?  Each component in the channel vector being

a 'bit' (0 or 1) of course.  Begin conjecturing ramble:

measured frequencies (from the original gear of reasonable facsimile) and find the  fourier

series associated with the rhythm components of the composition.  Separate

out the rhythm constituents from the total series as suggested.  Perform operation F(X)

series and F

G(Z-X) = G(Y)  with G being probably a different 'complicated' timestretch operation.

441606[/snapback]

Oh no, it's not really that complicated and difficult. You don't need to have any rhythm-detection and such, to write a decent timestretch... Also, that would not work with non-rhythmic sound. An FFT based solution is to compute the discrete fourier transformation (can be done easily in matlab, or sh*t-fast in C with the FFTW library) - and then insert more frames than the original sound has to stretch, or remove some frames to time-compress - and finally applying the inverse FFT. A niftier solution is to interpolate between frames though. Then there is the issue of phases, which often need heavy correction - but it's not that hard... If you want, I can dig out some cool articles - else, look for Jean Laroche and Michael Dolson.

Many algorithms (spelling?!?) work entirely in the tiime domain - still without rhythm detection. Granular solutions are good.

-A

Oh no, it's not really that complicated and difficult. You don't need to have any rhythm-detection and such, to write a decent timestretch... Also, that would not work with non-rhythmic sound. An FFT based solution is to compute the discrete fourier transformation (can be done easily in matlab, or sh*t-fast in C with the FFTW library) - and then insert more frames than the original sound has to stretch, or remove some frames to time-compress - and finally applying the inverse FFT. A niftier solution is to interpolate between frames though. Then there is the issue of phases, which often need heavy correction - but it's not that hard... If you want, I can dig out some cool articles - else, look for Jean Laroche and Michael Dolson.

Many algorithms (spelling?!?) work entirely in the tiime domain - still without rhythm detection. Granular solutions are good.

-A

442961[/snapback]

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of 'interpolating between the frames'

as you said. Thanks for quenching my overly complicated notion on it with a

much tidier explanation. I will have a look at Laroche and Dolson. Thanks

Amygdala :)

Anytime :)

Actually, I did my master thesis on FFT, used for pitch-shifting. Is pretty much the same as time-stretching, since if you can timestretch perfectly, then you can pitch-shift perfectly - and vice versa. I made a realtime algorithm extending the SuperCollider language. Great fun, and I leanred ALOT of math in the process!

-A