All facets of trance-music according to me :)

Anoebis

yes indeed... :)

Can you make a list for me...?

Like this:

Old School ambient:

-1 branch: psychedelic old school ambient: - Ethnic (for example Amaruvision)

- Real Ambient (Solar Quest - Orgship)

..... (so there I need help)

-1 branch not psychedelic old school ambient: There I need all help...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

old school ambient hum , biosphere? Fsol? Solar Quest? Pete Namlook like someone else told

How about Brian Eno too.

401830[/snapback]

Old school ambient? Mixmaster Morris aka Irresistible Force, Pete Namlook etc etc, there are a couple out there. Music that isnt being made anymore :(

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

old school ambient not psychedelic i would say Brian Eno, indeed he's known for being the first ambient producer.

The ambient Em:T compilations were famous too (early 90's) but i don't know if they're psy connected or not.

Does someone remember of Beaumont Hannant?

Indeed i just remind how was split ambient at the time in magazine, old ambient non psy:

there was:

-industrial ambient

- organic ambient (not sure of the term, i think here about Biochip C - The Trancition focusing on meteological elements)

Will need to check in my old 'Coda Magazine' about that after lunch ^_^

old school ambient not psychedelic i would say Brian Eno, indeed he's known for being the first ambient producer.

The ambient  Em:T compilations were famous too (early 90's) but i don't know if they're psy connected or not.

401839[/snapback]

Ok, thanks :)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Ok, thanks :)

401844[/snapback]

Some confirmations about ambient/chill from Coda Magazine :

ambient=eitheir climatic or atmospheric, inventor:Brian Eno

Chill out=music in a rave for having a break, mainly ambient. Artists:Mixmaster Morris ,Dr Atmo

So for old ambient non psychedelic you've got :

-ambient climatic (Biochip C - The Transition)

-industrial ambient (Thranx! - Interference)

indeed i used examples from an old recorded tape of an ambient compilation called 'the ambient dance collection' probably from Germany.

Big names in old ambient:The Orb (psy or not ?)

Some confirmations about ambient/chill from Coda Magazine :

ambient=eitheir climatic or atmospheric, inventor:Brian Eno

Chill out=music in a rave for having a break, mainly ambient. Artists:Mixmaster Morris ,Dr Atmo

So for old ambient non psychedelic you've got :

-ambient climatic (Biochip C - The Transition)

-industrial ambient (Thranx! - Interference)

indeed i used examples from an old recorded tape of an ambient compilation called 'the ambient dance collection' probably from Germany.

401894[/snapback]

There was no single inventor of ambient.

now I understand you perfectly and indeed good idea...

a nice vision where the concept trance goes in diffirent directions and so subgenres rise...

yés i wasn't following with your first post preciously...

interesting  :)

yés but when I went to a fullon party saturdayand meet you at the busstation on monday for example you will ask me...

How was the goaparty ???

and not how was the fullon party ???

many people who don't know a lot about subgenres just call it all goa jos...

we are the ones with some knowledge and vision about evolution but lot's of partypeople really have no idea what all those subgenres is about and just call it goa...

when you will give them your picture and will call everything psychedelic trance they will aks ???

what is goa then ???  :D

just thinking, sharing thoughts, to get an endconclusion or something...

401783[/snapback]

well here most people refer to music/parties as "psy/psychedelic"...

only comments I have :

-I would name loopus and texas faggott both suomi although loopus is from italy .... but there is a lot of other similar funky disco trance wich is named suomi : haltya/ tres lost amigos/ puoskari,....

-I don't know if the nam shub belongs in the list ...

-I wouldn't call grapes of wrath dark madness either it think it's new forest music ....

if it's finished I'll try to do the impossible but I repeat I'll try, to also create an evolution of time in each genre... that's very diifficult and it has to be right so it will be up to jos if he will use it...

I believe goa is not only lot's of subgenres but also fast evolution comparing to other music styles so If I can put some attention to that for the noobies too...

that they don't think astrix created the first goa :rolleyes:

About ambient... I think You shouldn't widen the touch to 'non-psy' ambient , that is ambient that is not connected to the scene (Biosphere, FSOL etc), because that would be off point. I think the point should be categorize every aspect Psychedelic Electronic Music, thus exclude 'normal' or 'classical' trance and ambient. We have Psy Dub too, but I don't think your scheme should include Mad Professor or Lee Perry for example...

PS. ohyeah - add psy dub to the chillout branch :)

PS2. I actually wondered about The Lone Deranger (Well, Im just so much into that album for the last one or two years :D and I've been thinking that maybe it's actaully something from the 'general psychedelic trance' or 'acidic psychedelic trance', because it doesn't have this 'goaish' feel like Astral for example....

Just my 2 senti.

About ambient... I think You shouldn't widen the touch to 'non-psy' ambient , that is ambient that is not connected to the scene (Biosphere, FSOL etc), because that would be off point. I think the point should be categorize every aspect Psychedelic Electronic Music, thus exclude 'normal' or 'classical' trance and ambient. We have Psy Dub too, but I don't think your scheme should include Mad Professor or Lee Perry for example...

Just my 2 senti.

402115[/snapback]

well i think that e.g Biosphere or FSOL or Steve Roach , vidna obmana, vir unis etc, or even experimental/idm artists such as Autechre or Duuster are much more PSYCHEDELIC than all these "psytrance" and "psychill" , especially the ones released nowadays.

Hey Jos, very nice table you made there...

I think you got everything right, although I would name some categories slightly better...but still, it is very good categorisation...;):)

LOL at Yamabikaya... :lol:

Plus, I wouldn't call nitzhonot as Goa trance at all, but I guess it should have been put in some category...

well i think that e.g Biosphere or FSOL or Steve Roach , vidna obmana, vir unis etc, or even experimental/idm artists such as Autechre or Duuster are much more PSYCHEDELIC than all these "psytrance" and "psychill" , especially the ones released nowadays.

402119[/snapback]

As said I'm not really familiar with that, so I made a branch of non psychedelic ambient (with FSOL - lifeforms as example). There are probably much more and much older ambient artists in different styles, but that is supposed to be a different scene I guess... maybe it would be an Idea Nick, to make a mindmap like that just about ambient? like that it can be linked with the psychedelic ambient... (in fact if you start like that that mindmap can become SOOO huge as you can link the Psy beats with Breakbeats/breakcore/DnB, the housy progressive with house etc etc)

@ Seraph: héhé, thanks :) I was thinking of giving nitzhonot an entire branch, but it was never that important :P

definitely there should be a psy dub section (ott as the perfect example) under the chill downtempo section...

definitely there should be a psy dub section (ott as the perfect example) under the chill downtempo section...

403009[/snapback]

You probably didn't crawl through all 4 pages, but it will be there next time :) (new version will come in a few days :))

I can add 2 more pioneers with each a different sound. nr 1 is Total Eclipse (Psy/goa) and nr 2 is Orichalcum, (thats psychedelic trance, and i mean real psychedelic.) And Elysium, i would also call your first "Dance for celestial beings", for psychedelic/ethnic or even psychotic trance. ;)

Great initiative with this :)

• 2 months later...

I still think gow is a bad example of new darkpsy since it's totally not dark nor new (here we go again :P ).... most darkpsy cd's you have posted are not new (only derango) .... some more up tot date examples would fitt better (cosmo,paranoize vs claw,penta,psyfactor,....)

I also don't think that there is something like minimal darkpsy? That cd' you have posted as example has some sorb, shakta, shift and early nrs tracks on it wich is not darkpsy at all ...

southafrican trance is dark full on not darkpsy :

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=486285

and I would still name loopus and texas faggott both suomi although loopus is from italy .... but there is a lot of other similar funky disco trance wich is named suomi : haltya/pelinpala tres lost amigos/ puoskari,....

a part from that it looks very accurate and usefull!!!

i think there's an interesting intersection between dark psy and industrial that is not touched but samples are not aplenty.

I do think there's something that slightly resembles minimal dark psy though. Let's see if we can reach a consensus. Cosmo - Gami Seta (noise poison)... that's pretty minimal for my taste, track progression is barely there. so is Terminator - Minimal Dark Psy (Deja Vu). some of the stuff Polyphonia/Metallaxis is throwing out there is certainly not as busy as the forest kind for me? I was also hearing the new Nocturna i think it's called (Inpsyde)... i got couple of minute samples, but damn that was bare... :)

i dunno if it fits as new genre though...

eitherway nice job anoebis, did you use mind map?