AudioCD written from mp3 or original? Making sure.

amphiton

I discovered a shop here selling rare IDM/electronika, jazz, ... and goa trance. Rare - I mean I haven't seen anything like this for 20 years here ;) They are quite cheap (compared to the prices @ ebay) and also dated, mostly oldschool stuff, but some new CDs too.

I'm not sure they are original and there is a probability that they have been written from mp3 files, so the questions goes:

› How can I make sure these CDs are high-quality audio cds and not some lame mp3s?

I think I'll need some spectrum analyzers or something. Can you explain this to me?

well you can tell about the cover if it's originally printed or not ????

simple no ????  :unsure:

393120[/snapback]

I couldn't tell if it was badly printed... it seemes ok to me.

Right. Just ask them or check for yourself if they are originals. If not, don't buy. (duh!)

393123[/snapback]

I don't believe them.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm talking about the technical issues.

I discovered a shop here selling rare IDM/electronika, jazz, ... and goa trance. Rare - I mean I haven't seen anything like this for 20 years here ;) They are quite cheap (compared to the prices @ ebay) and also dated, mostly oldschool stuff, but some new CDs too.

I'm not sure they are original and there is a probability that they have been written from mp3 files, so the questions goes:

› How can I make sure these CDs are high-quality audio cds and not some lame mp3s?

I think I'll need some spectrum analyzers or something. Can you explain this to me?

393117[/snapback]

and that would be... <_< ?

ukraine?

393117[/snapback]

The difference between an authentic CD and mp3 files burnt to CD are quite easy to hear so ask the shop if you can have a listen before buying, and even CD copies ripped from authentic CDs sound inferior to the originals, especially the bass which is usually flabbier with less punch.

hmmm im trying to remember how I did it...

I think if you get some prog like cool edit pro, and you do a ´frequency analysis´, the mp3 and the original ones are very much different...

The point is I can't compare these CDs to anything, because I don't have Pleiadians for example, only 320kbps mp3.

I know that in 320kbps mp3 all frequencies above ~20 kHz are cut, the less bitrate - the lower the cut point is.

I downloaded some programs for spectrum analysis, analyzed wide range of mp3 (128 -› 320) and original goa trance CDs and now I see the difference but it's not so evident, you have to play with it.

I thought our music makers and djs will advice some easy way to recognise mp3/wav.

Yeah, it's easy to do. Google it if you want a more thorough method, but basically you wanna see the spectral view of the song and look for big black gaps at the top of the frequency range. If you have EAC (a great CD ripping program) you can hit ctrl+e to edit a WAV, load it, and go view -> spectral. Put any wave file you've ripped from an audio CD on and you'll see it's filled all the way. MP3s have a very jagged look with holes at the top. It's easy to tell. Good luck!

Yes, that's the way to do it.

Here's the special soft if you want:

http://www.true-audio.com/

au Analyzer is a free program, which can help you to distinguish with reasonable accuracy the original studio-based CDs from poor quality fakes, that have been "reconstructed" using a lossy audio source, such as MP3. Using this program you can check the authenticity of your purchased or borrowed music CDs. Tau Analyzer features an intuitive user interface, allowing users to work directly with audio CDs, and has some additional functions such as a Spectrum and Frequency analyzers, ATIP and ISRC data readers, etc.

ND