1 We Mean You No Harm (10:06)

2 Toxic Brainwaves (8:58)

3 Tribalistic (8:26)

4 Hallucinogenic Hyperdrive (8:32)

5 Acid Tester (6:22)

6 Shape Shifter (9:03)

7 Physical Encounter (7:28)

8 Mindbender (9:16)

Ask me the question “what is for 100% goatrance”… Then is this album the pure difiniton… This release represent the true indian peace love en unity spirit which is started with goatrance… The title of the first number says a lot ofcourse… This is verry melodic, uplifted and intelligent… No fast basslines but verry lights stap basses… Ominus works with a specific wave… An own created sound that i didn’t saw many artist do the same… The psychedelic wave don’t exist out of different ranks but in general it goes the same way… The samples are drug directed and because of that you noticed the typical goa spirit… The dansing in the nude around the fire are included with it, way of speaking… Ominus knows how to keep his listeners busy, it is not like you have to expect on the end a big climax, but like a lot of goatrance there is just a sort of ‘continual’ quality… i just have a great pleasure for predicting what will come and the mystique sphere brings you literal in a timemachine ‘back to goa’…

This belongs certainly in my top 5 of goatrance releases and i just think its a pitty that ominus don’t releases more cd’s

This cd is a story, a pure trip and you don’t need a drug for created pleasure… The formula of ominus speaks and lives what goa releases like this makes infinite…

I don’t go to describe every song, only the familiar and typical…

We Mean You No Harm is a beautiful introducing song… the humble bass with light drums gifs directly the outdoor festival feeling and create a promising sphere… The climax on the 8st minute leads perfectly in every high quality that you can expect of ominus…

Hallucinogenic Hyperdrive is one of the playful and motivated goanumbers of this cd… The literaly excited psychedelic sounds sounded wat naive but created just because of that funny ‘lets dance together on goa’ sphere…

Acid Tester has a typical complaining wave like we know them of shakta lepton head III… intense and touching… beauty of a wave…

Mindbender is super constructive and here drives ominus his melodic waves till the farthest end… as closer is this a pure kick and you would listen to the cd directly once again…

Acid tester is the famous song i think and is published on compilations like goa spirit 2, goa inside 3, strange vibrations & psychedelic visions 3

10/10 convinced

written By Rain

translated by purple sun

nice sound all over this release,lots of energy,a lot of flow BUT something is missing.probably it is the absence of a main lead melody at the right moment.here you get acid(303) all the way.

of course everyone finds a great track in this release.i vote for mindbender:)

nice sound all over this release,lots of energy,a lot of flow BUT something is missing.probably it is the absence of a main lead melody at the right moment.here you get acid(303) all the way.

of course everyone finds a great track in this release.i vote for mindbender:)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Every now and then you stumble over an album from the old days that you've only gotten acquainted with now. And you wonder; would my record collection look much different had I discovered this album when it was released?

Ominus' selftitled album is but a dazzling psychedelic trance voyage from the golden era. Everything you connect with it. Upbeat, melodic, innovative, and with so much going on even today it sounds cutting edge. When was the last time you heard shuffle beat psytrance that felt like, hell yeah!!? Opening track We Mean You No Harm pulls that off with standing ovations. Toxic Brainwaves follows up with a straight 4/4 goa track but packed with different melodic sections, all danceable, all creative and all fun. Like Astral Projection on a creative day. Plus the energy, less the straight forwardness. Bliss. Tribalistic supplies the 3rd homerun, a track both deep and simple, and psychedelic as hell. Track 5 Acid Tester is another dancefloor bomb packed with melodies, energy, speed and freaky samples. You can dance, or you can trip. Or you can do both! Ominus supplies something for the feet as well as the mind. Mindnumbing. With Shapeshifter Ominus cools things a bit. You go deep for a second, but Physical Encounter to the rescue. Trippy, melodic, insisting, you're bound to the floor again and when Mindbender nails the coffin with a another dancefloor bomb I am left with only one question:

This album is almost 10 years old and thus eligible for an "essential" sticker, but is it up to me to give such a mark considering I'm only hearing it now? Well, then, I'll give it a highly recommended, bordering essential mark. No, damnit, this gets a 5/5 mark!!

Nine years behind at least I'm on it now ... ;o) And this ROCKS! Big time !!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

the true indian peace love en unity spirit which is started with goatrance… The title of the first number says a lot ofcourse… This is verry melodic, uplifted and intelligent… No fast basslines but verry lights stap basses… Ominus works with a specific wave… An own created sound that i didn’t saw many artist do the same…

Agree.

And this is also the spirit you have to listen to this cd with.

In the beginning this cd disappointed me, becuase I usually look for something

more aggressive, but then I realized that goa actually is trance in a more

melodic and "relaxed" way, so I changed my mind and instead of looking

for my ususal expectations I just let the music take me where it desired.

Ominus knows how to keep his listeners busy, it is not like you have to expect on the end a big climax, but like a lot of goatrance there is just a sort of ‘continual’ quality…

Very well written. You must be a great reviewer because this one summes the

whole album's spirit.

So if you relax down and let go the desire for a climax

you can appreciate a lot this cd.

I like very much the melodies and the fact that production is very

controlled to avoid the boredom and to keep the listeners' attenction

high even if the concpet is very uplifting.

probably it is the absence of a main lead melody at the right moment.

here you get acid(303) all the way.

Here I disagree. It doesn't give me all this acid vibe.

303 appears but it seems shy if confronted to other artists

(Green nuns of the revolution, slinky wizard).

It never plays IMO a leading role, it acts more in the

background to avoid the melodies to sound too cheesy.

Anyway it's interesting the way in which two different people

can read in different ways the same production, becuase here

I'm really satisfied with melodies and instead I would have

appreciated some inserts of more aggressive 303.

Different people different tastes, peace and love :)

I would almost put this up there with Pleiadians I.F.O.!

I prefer I.F.O. becuase it's more sharp in the choice of sounds

and IMO its production is more elaborate.

And wow, I can go on listening to IFO for a whole day and

still being jumping and dreaming ... Ominus is good and you

listen to it gladly, but

IFO really takes my brain out of my skull .

Agree.

And this is also the spirit you have to listen to this cd with.

In the beginning this cd disappointed me, becuase I usually look for something

more aggressive, but then I realized that goa actually is trance in a more

melodic and "relaxed" way, so I changed my mind and instead of looking

for my ususal expectations I just let the music take me where it desired.

Very well written. You must be a great reviewer because this one summes the

whole album's spirit.

So if you relax down and let go the desire for a climax

you can appreciate a lot this cd.

I like very much the melodies and the fact that production is very

controlled to avoid the boredom and to keep the listeners' attenction

high even if the concpet is very uplifting.

Here I disagree. It doesn't give me all this acid vibe.

303 appears but it seems shy if confronted to other artists

(Green nuns of the revolution, slinky wizard).

It never plays IMO a leading role, it acts more in the

background to avoid the melodies to sound too cheesy.

Anyway it's interesting the way in which two different people

can read in different ways the same production, becuase here

I'm really satisfied with melodies and instead I would have

appreciated some inserts of more aggressive 303.

Different people different tastes, peace and love :)

I prefer I.F.O. becuase it's more sharp in the choice of sounds

and IMO its production is more elaborate.

And wow, I can go on listening to IFO for a whole day and

still being jumping and dreaming ... Ominus is good and you

listen to it gladly, but

IFO really takes my brain out of my skull .

wooow great feedback men :)

the best I ever red/had

very honest, grounded feedback

thanx mate

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Acid Tester - a Goa classic..

Totally agree. 02:03 to 02:57 is one of the best goa/melodies I listened. It's warm, energetic, playful, so acid!!

I don't really like the structure of the whole song. I think the break after the first buil-up last too much. Could have been a better transition, but c'mon... It's just my opinion. Anyways, the second part of the song is also very good: energetic and euphoric and has the goa flavor we all love. Man...I feel like in India right now!! ha! Feel like a snake dancing.

IMO the best track here along with: "We mean you no harm" and "Tribalistic". Which are good but not that good as the timeless classic "Acid Tester".

Before rating the album, I must say that Miranda's creativity it's all around this release. What a great woman!

6/10

Cheers,

Chicchan

PS: If you like the energertic taste and the crazy but lovely melodies, I recommend Miranda - Phenomena

• 1 year later...

nVGM369.jpg

Artist: Ominus
Title: Ominus
Label: Koyote Records
Date: May, 1997

1. We Mean You No Harm
2. Toxic Brainwaves
3. Tribalistic
4. Hallucinogenic Hyperdrive
5. Acid Tester
6. Shape Shifter
7. Physical Encounter
8. Mindbender

dejxDgq.jpg

Behold! The power of 3!

Y4FTYAH.jpg

"Now Peter Piper picked peppers but Run rocked rhymes..." R.I.P. JMJ

dJI8T9F.jpg

Police officer: "Ok you monkeys, tell us what you know.."

Deaf Monkey: "What? Nah, man I didn't hear what happened. I was bumpin the new Kanye..."

Blind Monkey: "Does it look like I saw what happened? Don't make me throw poop at you. Insensitive motherf*cker."

Dumb Monkey: "No hablo ingles..."

Police Officer: Of course you don't. Why would you, you're a monkey. I think somebody got to these guys.

I could go on, but you get my point. Ominus consists of Dara Lee, Marcello Bonifacii & Miranda Silvergren or more simply Encens + Miranda. Just saying Marcello's full name made me feel Italian. Unfortunately, Scorcese didn't see it that way and my part in Goodfellas was left on the cutting room floor. Aside from that, what you have here is 2 powerful forces joining together to create something on the same level as chocolate and peanut butter. They only put out this one album, but man what an album it was. Run by Dara before it folded, this label put out some of the best goa trance of the era.

We Mean You No Harm- "This is a great moment for mankind. This is our chance to...finally communicate with a...non-human intelligence. You can't meet it with hostility...with guns."

m5Z1G1l.gif

Are you f*cking kidding me? My dad said when you talk to someone always look them in the eyes. I..I can't even find the eyes on this thing and all I see are levels of teeth. Ummm, so yes you can. If Hollywood has taught us anything, it shows us that you can. How did that plan work out in Mars Attacks? District 9? Not so well. Tough to have a sit down with something that wants to eat you. On a local level that's why bears and salmon broke off peace talks. As soon as the words "We mean you no harm" are uttered you can bet someone just got eaten.

This track has a very different structure which begins with a galloping gait, building, and then changes to a 4 on the floor stomper. Twice. Awesome work to keep the track interesting. The lead shimmers brightly like a star, streaming this way and that casting light where once there was only shadow. The break undulates, ripples, whatever you want to call it before it goes full-on again and sounds so thick. The ending melody shines so brightly it's like I'm wielding a +4 flame sword. Believe this was on repeat many times during the review. Believe dat.

Toxic Brainwaves- "At the edge of our culture people are starting to view drugs as information. You take a particular combination of chemicals to create a particular response in your brain and your nervous system."

Great sample that I don't think I have heard anywhere else. Even back then, hit you with the drug sample, but don't beat you over the head with it. Sure the samples are there, but they add to the track, they don't define it. More twirling leads that rise and dive while layering quite nicely. While also being very melodic this one is quite the dancer as well. My favorite is the break where pads drift like smoke on the wind as metallic percussion bounces of hard surfaces. Great stuff.

Tribalistic- This is so rich and moving with synths that crawl from the dark and make you nervous to look over your shoulder. Syrupy bass with twirling melodies that layer give this track a lot of depth. The short tribal break is like nothing I have heard. Tribal yet alien at the same time. Like 12 Monkeys it makes me think the aliens have visited this planet long ago. Another quality track.

Hallucinogenic Hyperdrive- Time slows down to a crawl as an alien creature huffs in the darkness. Soon the bass line erupts with a growling synth as arpeggios flutter not so high above. The shimmering soon arrives and once again I feel like spinning.

Another quality break with juicy bass and a roaring synth clawing it's way to the top. The melody stacking in the final third was very impressive.

Acid Tester- "The drug taking has begun."

Think about that...an acid tester. I'm thinking there would be a line of hippies out the door. Great melodies that continue to force involuntary twirling that go from guttural to twinkly. Spoiler alert...another great break with the acid bubbling to the surface. I used to not like this one as much, but the more I listen to it, the more I can appreciate its building and evolution.

Shape Shifter- Probably the most psychedelic and abstract track here. It's less melodic and more...industrial. The break creates a nice mood while piles of effects are sprinkled everywhere. It sounds more mechanical with a techno leaning and it's my least favorite. Still, that's like saying you only had sex with your hot girlfriend once instead of twice in the same evening. Still gettin' some nookie.

Physical Encounter- "I am always impressed by physical encounters with people I have previously met virtually."

You know who says that? People looking to get laid on the intarwebz. With a pulsating bass sound a glassy pad wavers and this proceeds at a slower but not slow speed. Sultry sweeps beckon your attention.

VgLoGZE.gif

Are you turned on? How bout now? Now?

It bounces amid mission control samples and rocket ship take offs, and it isn't until the end that some melodies break the surface. Think of it as a progressive goa track that brings the heat in the final 3rd.

Mindbender- "The smoke from the sacred pipe mixed with my breath will rise and spread throughout the universe."

What do you people have against a downtempo track? Alas, not to be found here as the bass races and a frenetic melody staggers like a mental patient. The break has a chunky snare beat that is basically a rest stop for the next furious melody. And the end piledrives its point home. Super.

Put this up there with all the other classics of the genre. Probably one of the most underrated albums around. It has it all thought. Well, except the usually obligatory downtempo track. Great groove, spiraling melodies, and atmospheric breaks. Well thought out and a pleasure to listen to.

Mdk