Will this sound card be enough for a studio?

I want to buy this sound card:

M-Audio FireWire Audiophile Digital Audio Interface

here it's detail:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001AVUX...ronics&v=glance

Will it be enough and good for an electronical music studio?

and if it don't can you suggest me one that will be good and in the same price?

sorry for the bad english... :\

Thanks,

Carnage.

hihih... i bought the same one, and got it last week and kicks royal ass...

great sound, easy set up, MIDI controller, but is standard entry level stuff... i mean depends on how far you want to go with it... but that it works...

it works B)

hihih... i bought the same one, and got it last week and kicks royal ass...

great sound, easy set up, MIDI controller, but is standard entry level stuff... i mean depends on how far you want to go with it... but that it works...

it works  B)

387094[/snapback]

I want to be sure that i'll be able to create some kickass tracks.... :) in very high quality and such... for a professional home studio for trance music... that's all.

Will it work? :)

well the sound card is just going to make sound better, the kick ass tracks part is really up to you :D

anyway 96khz sampling should be sufficient... sounds damn sweet

and it comes with a very nice software interface, the only grudge with firewire is that if you unplug it, or it hybernates the conection is lost and you need to restart the machine, but i think that that's standard on all FW conections, which would have been a plus if it was USB2

well the sound card is just going to make sound better, the kick ass tracks part is really up to you  :D

anyway 96khz sampling should be sufficient... sounds damn sweet

and it comes with a very nice software interface, the only grudge with firewire is that if you unplug it, or it hybernates the conection is lost and you need to restart the machine, but i think that that's standard on all FW conections, which would have been a plus if it was USB2

387101[/snapback]

I will handle the track part :)

And thanks for the detail... I think i'll buy it. :D

Thanks,

Carnage.

I also have this exact piece of hardware. It is a soundcard itself; the quality of which really blows away my integrated sound, I didnt think I'd be able to hear the difference but I was quite wrong.

I'm using it for dj'ing at the moment... it works well for that because I can output two stereo channels from my computer into the left and right channels of a mixer.

For producing I'm not completely convinced this would be the best choice... as it only has 1 stereo input (not including spd/if, but don't you need special hardware for that?) and no microphone input. But it does have MIDI, which is a plus. The sound quality is good for sure, but this doesnt seem to be the best device for recording. So it depends on what you would want to do in the studio.

For producing I'm not completely convinced this would be the best choice... as it only has 1 stereo input (not including spd/if, but don't you need special hardware for that?) and no microphone input.  But it does have MIDI, which is a plus.  The sound quality is good for sure, but this doesnt seem to be the best device for recording.  So it depends on what you would want to do in the studio.

387250[/snapback]

I noticed this problem... And i searched again for an audio interface and i found this:

http://www.edirol.net/products/en/UA-25/index.html

you think this would be probably the thing i'm looking for? for producing of course...

it has also optic in\out which is great for me because i use reciever with all my loudspeakers...

Thanks,

Carnage.

I have the FW-410 which is probably exactly the same, just with more outputs, mic and such. I'm *very* pleased with it, except that the driver slows down my entire system slightly (a 5-yearold powerbook). There is one thing, that always baffled me though - what good is MIDI on an audiointerface...? I can't imagine a single feature, that would justify MIDI - please enlighten me :)

And another one - be honest: Can you tell the difference between 44.1 kHz and 96-point-whatever? Can you *really*? Would you bet your life on a blindfold test...? I can't, that's for damn sure. Agreed, it makes sense internally in signal processing, but for pure I/O I don't see the need. The same goes for bitdepth by the way. Hmmm, maybe I just haven't listened enough :)

-A

I have the FW-410 which is probably exactly the same, just with more outputs, mic and such. I'm *very* pleased with it, except that the driver slows down my entire system slightly (a 5-yearold powerbook). There is one thing, that always baffled me though - what good is MIDI on an audiointerface...? I can't imagine a single feature, that would justify MIDI - please enlighten me :)

And another one - be honest: Can you tell the difference between 44.1 kHz and 96-point-whatever? Can you *really*? Would you bet your life on a blindfold test...? I can't, that's for damn sure. Agreed, it makes sense internally in signal processing, but for pure I/O I don't see the need. The same goes for bitdepth by the way. Hmmm, maybe I just haven't listened enough :)

-A

387420[/snapback]

Well i can't really tell the difference but i want the standard piece of audio... :\

I'm now choosing between M-Audio Firewire-410 to Edirol UA-25... I want the 410 but i'm reading that it has too many problems and i'm afraid to buy it... and with the ua-25 i don't have another headphones port and many outputs that i need...

Need help...

Thanks,

Carnage.

Why not saving a bit more and buying a one-level-higher interface for example?

Perhaps it would solve both problems with quality sound and ports available.

I have no idea how much more it would be though.

Why not saving a bit more and buying a one-level-higher interface for example?

Perhaps it would solve both problems with quality sound and ports available.

I have no idea how much more it would be though.

388443[/snapback]

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Carnage.

There is one thing, that always baffled me though - what good is MIDI on an audiointerface...? I can't imagine a single feature, that would justify MIDI - please enlighten me :)

387420[/snapback]

So you don't need a seperate breakout box for the MIDI i/o?

Are you using laptop?

I think I'm going to buy Audiophile Firewire soon for live performances. Firewire-410 is more expensive and got more values. Never heard bad about both cards.

ND

Are you using laptop?

I think I'm going to buy Audiophile Firewire soon for live performances. Firewire-410 is more expensive and got more values. Never heard bad about both cards.

ND

391130[/snapback]

I'm using a regular pc...

If you don't need much ins/outs and wanna save money go for M-Audio Audiophile or Delta44, if you got lots of money go for RME :) E-MU has improved their drivers I think. so it's nice option too. How much you got to spend?

ND

If you don't need much ins/outs and wanna save money go for M-Audio Audiophile or Delta44, if you got lots of money go for RME :) E-MU has improved their drivers I think. so it's nice option too. How much you got to spend?

ND

393672[/snapback]

I have 300$...

Is there a different in the speed between a PCI soundcard to a Firewire\USB soundcard?

Thanks,

Carnage.

I have 300$...

Is there a different in the speed between a PCI soundcard to a Firewire\USB soundcard?

Thanks,

Carnage.

393786[/snapback]

PCI is much much more stable than Firewire and USB cards. If you are using a desktop you should go with PCI whenever possible. If using a laptop, my first choice for stablity would be something that runs through PCMCIA cards, but most of these are rather expensive. After that firewire or usb2, but I wouldn't touch a usb1 card. Regarding M-Audio, I have an older 410 PCI card and have never had any trouble with it, but with the USB and Firewire card by M-Audio I have seen pretty much nothing but trouble with these in a live setting. Maybe they are ok in a home studio, but at live gigs here in Japan they are at almost a 100% ratio for having drop outs and generally screwing up in the gigs I have played at with other artists using them.

PCI is much much more stable than Firewire and USB cards. If you are using a desktop you should go with PCI whenever possible. If using a laptop, my first choice for stablity would be something that runs through PCMCIA cards, but most of these are rather expensive. After that firewire or usb2, but I wouldn't touch a usb1 card. Regarding M-Audio, I have an older 410 PCI card and have never had any trouble with it, but with the USB and Firewire card by M-Audio I have seen pretty much nothing but trouble with these in a live setting. Maybe they are ok in a home studio, but at live gigs here in Japan they are at almost a 100% ratio for having drop outs and generally screwing up in the gigs I have played at with other artists using them.

393890[/snapback]

could you ellaborate on this those mistakes? or problems, mine hasn't failed once in the time i've had it... not that i tested it for live purposes, but for the constant use it's taken it's never failed burped ot fucked up once yet... even after one of the speakers fell on top of it :D