Beat-Matching - Headphone settings

I was practicing at home and my brother showed up and gave it a go on Prog trance.. when he put my headphones on he was like "you will go deaf if you keep the volume like this" and said he uses his headphone with very low levels.. Let's say the headphone's volume knob is around 7-15% turned only. And he uses it stereo.. One side with the main channel, other side with closed channel.

I, as a beginner with little time to practice, need the volume around 20-25% and I mix both main and closed channels in both sides/ears of the headphone.. The split 1-channel-each-side setup doesn't quite help me.

I've seen people who DJ for 3-4 years with crazy-high volumes..

What do you guys suggest? Volume-wise, stereo or split?

Comments?

theres no rule on volume, just put it at the level you want.

when you are playing on a really loud sound system, sometimes the headphones might not even be loud enough at 100%

im often cranking up the headphones as loud as possible so i can hear every detail in the mix.

and constantly adjusting the headphone volume while mixing.

sometimes lowering it to 0 if there is a quiet part on the main system (people can hear the next tracks hihats in your phones)

personally i like to hear the combined mix, having it split on each ear makes me dizzy

your bro right about the deaf part tho... eventually loud volumes will degrade your hearing

IMHO, the headphone gain should be around 9:00 (25%). Any more is way too hot.

Split has an advantage over stereo, in that your brain doesn't slow down the music. Try this: instead of listening to the 'mix', preview 1 track in split. You'll get it in mono but it won't sound like 80 BPM :D

Personally, I choose stereo monitoring. This way you get to hear the kicks on top of each other, and you can really hear if you are in or out.

About the volume thing.... in the beginning you always have it loud ( instinct? ) but when you get some practice behind you you will notice that you can hear the beats and where they are sitting even at low volumes.

People that are experienced that monitor at high volumes are just deaf from years and years of abuse! :)

• 3 weeks later...

many dj's use earplugs under headphones in gigs.

I usually have both lines in bothsides but sometimes when PA is so loud I only put incoming in headphones and listnen outgoing track from speakers thru my headphones.

I have very sensitive hearing and I just checked the monitor level on my djm mixer...

It was set to ~8%

Out on parties I've seen djs playing with a djm mixer set to 75% :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

For beatmatching I prefer using one cup playing the cued track and the other ear listening to the monitors..

At first I also played both tracks in cup... maybe it's a thing you grow to like, mixing with one cup? Or maybe I was too sensitive about two full-blown goa tracks playing at the same time :)