Making a groovy psychedelic bassline

Hi all,

Long time since i posted here, hope everyone's cool.

Would anyone like to shed some light on how to get a phat groovy psychedelic bassline going....the likes of Broken Toy, Aphid Moon, etc.... B)

I have some idea you need to layer it, but i cant seem to find a fomula :(

Im using Reason2.5, and im messing around Subtractor and Maltrom Synths, im layering, putting in the matrix pattern sequencer, etc...and i still cant get a good result?

Any Hints would be great :P

Adios Amigos,

Psych :ph34r: cEll

When I was using reason I used samples for my basslines. I didn't get the bass I wanted from the synths there. For other genres you can get some pretty wicked bass intruments though :)

It'd be great if prop.heads released the subtractor as VST ... I love that one. Yeah I know I can rewire, but I can't be arsed. :rolleyes:

Try using just a basic synthbass or acoustic bass tone patch with MIDI piano roll editor. Use the E.q to boast sub-bass and lots of delay filters. Works for me anyway. :)

Hey Thanks guys!

Thought i wouldnt get a response! ;)

So should i be using the Equaliser and Compressor Devises once ive layed out the bassline using Subtrator/Maltrom/NN-XT/NN19 with a matrix? :)

Would i have to layer these, like have more than devise contributing to the bassline...For example, having 3 subtractors, with matrix's??? :huh:

Thanks for the help, going to explore tonight B)

i think it's better to use one synth for the bass instead of three...

u could layer bass sounds, but the main thign about bass is getting the right sound...

try using the subtractor, use the init patch and try to make a patch...

or u could use the sampler, there is a good sample called leadbass synth if i remember well... i used to use it before...

i think it's better to use one synth for the bass instead of three...

u could layer bass sounds, but the main thign about bass is getting the right sound...

try using the subtractor, use the init patch and try to make a patch...

or u could use the sampler, there is a good sample called leadbass synth if i remember well... i used to use it before...

384775[/snapback]

shweet dude! Will take a lok at that!

Ive got quite a few refills, i mean heaps of them....would anyone have ideas where i can find good Bass Synths, as well as Kick...

....Also been having a problem with my kicks, i know you have to layer them too and fiddle with compression, and equalisation....Any ideas? :D:huh:

Woow, thanks for being so helpful! B)

ACE!

top tip for reason is to wire the output of a cool subtractor patch through the shaper unit of the malstrom (there's an audio input on the back), then add some shape, use the malstrom's filter (perhaps linking the two envelopes) and finally compress (short attack, relatively long release).

have fun tweaking

top tip for reason is to wire the output of a cool subtractor patch through the shaper unit of the malstrom (there's an audio input on the back), then add some shape, use the malstrom's filter (perhaps linking the two envelopes) and finally compress (short attack, relatively long release).

have fun tweaking

384943[/snapback]

Some standard compressing for bass:

Ratio: 103

Treshold: 40

Attack: 35

Release: 60

• 2 weeks later...

this is how i make basslines in reason..

1. create a malstrom synth

2. the first oscillator should be a saw

3. the second oscillator should be a square, with the shift nob turned about 90 degrees back (so about 9 o clock)---> this eliminates the "square" sound and gives the bass a bit more body..

4. play with the filter cutoff and filter envelope to add that "click" so common in full on basses..

5. Add a scream!!!!! use the "tape" mode on the scream and play with parameter 1 and 2.

6. Use the scream's body section if need be...i almost always have it on setting "D"..with the "resonance" up (fattens up the bass noticably), and the "scale" and "auto" knobs turned down.

if u're still stuck let me know and i can email u one of the patches ive made...another suggestion, get the upgrade to reason 3.0...the new mastering effects (e.g. eq and compressor) make a world of difference...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

Long time since i posted here, hope everyone's cool.

Would anyone like to shed some light on how to get a phat groovy psychedelic bassline going....the likes of Broken Toy, Aphid Moon, etc.... B)

I have some idea you need to layer it, but i cant seem to find a fomula :(

Im using Reason2.5, and im messing around Subtractor and Maltrom Synths, im layering, putting in the matrix pattern sequencer, etc...and i still cant get a good result?

Any Hints would be great :P

Adios Amigos,

Psych :ph34r: cEll

382689[/snapback]

You dont need to layer anything , the basic form of a psytrance bassline is a 303 bass, this is the bass sound produced by the first acid machine (roland tb303) their now very rare synths but u can get of course a vst one,,my recomendation is the Audiorealism Bassline , it is the best emulation of a 303 bass available, try it before buy it.lol u can even get one from limewire , luck :D

You dont need to layer anything , the basic form of a psytrance bassline is a 303 bass, this is the bass sound produced by the first acid machine (roland tb303) their now very rare synths but u can get of course a vst one,,my recomendation is the Audiorealism Bassline , it is the best emulation of a 303 bass available, try it before buy it.lol    u can even get one from limewire , luck  :D

453431[/snapback]

Its not exactly like that. There is no standart psytrance bassline imo. This example you told is just one of the many forms you can do a bassline

I guess that psychocell was asking tips for more heavy powerfull basslines, and they are usually not made with Audiorealism.

and besides he cant use that on Reason, because VST doesnt work on Reason.

Its a standalone program

Reason native synths is capable of doing great basslines on its own.

There is the controversial tip of creating a sub-bass.

What you do is to pick up a bass and decide in wich key will be, and then you do the line, edit, etc untill you get what you want

Now to give this more power you create another excatly equal bassline track.

So, now you have two identical basslines playing together. What you do now its to edit the frequencies of both in order they "match" each other.

Basically you cut all the low frequencies and give life on the mid and high freq of one bass and cut all the mid and high freq and leaving only the low freq of the other bass.

Also it is pointless to use a bass patch whose energy lies only below 40 Hz, because most home systems will not play sounds that low in frequency and thats mainly unwanted sounds. so take care of that area and cut, if it has too.

You need to make sure bass has a lot going on in the 70-90 Hz frequency range, because thats where the punch sound is.

Remenber that everytime you layer something, you should wacth for the frequencies crash...also have in mind that this is a complicated operation. You can really screw a bass line doing that, but some people can do magic using this stuff :o

Its not exactly like that. There is no standart psytrance bassline imo. This example you told is just one of the many forms you can do a bassline

I guess that psychocell was asking tips for more heavy powerfull basslines, and they are usually not made with Audiorealism.

and besides he cant use that on Reason, because VST doesnt work on Reason.

Its a standalone program

Reason native synths is capable of doing great basslines on its own.

There is the controversial tip of creating a sub-bass.

What you do is to pick up a bass and decide in wich key will be, and then you do the line, edit, etc untill you get what you want

Now to give this more power you create another excatly equal bassline track.

So, now you have two identical basslines playing together. What you do now its to edit the frequencies of both in order they "match" each other.

Basically you cut all the low frequencies and give life on the mid and high freq of one bass and cut all the mid and high freq and leaving only the low freq of the other bass.

Also it is pointless to use a bass patch whose energy lies only below 40 Hz, because most home systems will not play sounds that low in frequency and thats mainly unwanted sounds. so take care of that area and cut, if it has too.

You need to make sure bass has a lot going on in the 70-90 Hz frequency range, because thats where the punch sound is.

Remenber that everytime you layer something, you should wacth for the frequencies crash...also have in mind that this is a complicated operation. You can really screw a bass line doing that, but some people can do magic using this stuff :o

453442[/snapback]

Awesome tip Stalker! :)

So must i have 2 subtracotrs open with the same bass patch?

Edit the frenquencys using the filter 1&2 to get rid of the low frequencies, and tweak the mids and highs to sound better?

And how would i know what the frequency range is of the bass patch?

Thanks B)

Awesome tip Stalker! :)

So must i have 2 subtracotrs open with the same bass patch?

Edit the frenquencys using the filter 1&2 to get rid of the low frequencies, and tweak the mids and highs to sound better?

And how would i know what the frequency range is of the bass patch?

Thanks B)

484200[/snapback]

Yes its pretty much this. :)

Practice a litlle untill you get what you want

Unfurtonely i dont use Reason so i cant give you the precise steps to this :(

I also dont know how the Reason EQ works

Every equalizer has difrent precision, power and quality

I will do some research on how the Reason EQ works to try to explain it better :unsure:

Ok psycho :)

I did some research and i found some interisting tutorials on Reasonfreaks

Here is the link for the tutorials list. They teach how to use the reason compressor, a making a song step by step, a bass and kick tutorial too

Very interesting stuff

http://www.reasonfreaks.com/modules.php?op...ials&file=index

By the way, this whole site is very usefull for Reason users. There is also a forum try to use some search there or ask the question B)

Ok psycho :)

I did some research and i found some interisting tutorials on Reasonfreaks

Here is the link for the tutorials list. They teach how to use the reason compressor, a making a song step by step, a bass and kick tutorial too

Very interesting stuff

http://www.reasonfreaks.com/modules.php?op...ials&file=index

By the way, this whole site is very usefull for Reason users. There is also a forum try to use some search there or ask the question B)

485317[/snapback]

Ace dude! :D

Im actually a member on Reasonfreaks already, haha!

Only go on when im trying to learn general things with Reason..not actually asking specific questions bout doing particular tecniques.

Thanks, ill have a read when i get the chance.

I found a pretty good refill on the internet, with some nice bassline samples..

A new trick I have learned, I guess most of you guys already know it, but if you don't, this is a pretty good trick to make your bass a bit more wide..

If you take your synth or whatever you use, and divide it in to channels in the mixer.. If you use NN-19, you can just take the left one in one channel and the right one in another.

If you use subtractor, you have to make to subtractor synth's..

Now you take the first channel and pan it a bit to the left, and the other channel a bit to the right.. :P

It is an good idea to turn down the volume abit, due to, it can be a bit loud.. :D

If you don't think it has enough fill, you can put a bit reverb on it, or/and some delay..

Hope it works as good for you, as it has done for me.. :)

Another thing I have learned, is not to be afraid of making a bassline that not follows the standard line.. :P

Make it a bit offbeat, and not be afraid of make some higher notes etc. :P

the only thing you need then, is a tight support of great perc.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...