Most important thing for a Psy artist

Ormion

Let's say that I wanna be a Psy artist. What I need the most?

I voted for imagination. I think musical skills is very important but if the artist has no imagination at all then he goes bananas.

An example. There are thousands musicians in the world who can play great piano. They can play any Motzart or Beethoven song but can they write that good?

Do you think that Motzart wrote such amazing music because he was a great player or because he had unbelievable imagination?

Especially in Psy, imagination is the most important IMO.

The same with the equipment. Yep, good production means more freedom and creativity but there are many unbelievable tracks produced by crappy equipment (MFG-New Kind Of World for example).

Vote plz :)

edit: it's musical education not muscial :D

the most important thing for a REAL psytrance producer is to chat once with Simon Posford, because he knows how to build atmosphere in his tracks not like other artists i don´t called names of it only put 4 synths together and think that is psytrance. Simon really should open a Simon Posford music school in that all other psytrance artists can go and learn how to make it right becuase they are so unexperienced and always fall, but with simon´s help and a bit thinking they will be great.

Or he should release a getting started book to teach other psytrance artists how to program their synths because the others don´t get it. :D

None of those. You have to BELIEVE in yourself and make the music that YOU can produce. It's probably no good saying "I'm going to make psytrance", because trust me, I went through a phase of thinking that I would make film music / dance / techno / house / dnb, and even psy/goa trance and every time I tried to lay down a track I just didn't feel that my creative energies were being maximised to the fullest possible extent.

So I took a break, THEN heard psychedelic chill and immediately my creative side saw it's purpose - I knew this was music I could craft myself. Obviously my style is more refined now but my advice would be to try not to create psytrance just because it's great music - find your connection like I did. And of course experiment! At the moment I'm creating huge, atmospheric pieces using my piano and the sustain pedal. :D

So, bottom line, don't try and constrict your mind into thinking you will create a certain type of music - experiment, and have fun - isn't that what music is all about? :)

[x] amnt of drugs consumed

no, really, I think that imagination is the most important thing.

Of course you gotta need the musical and production skills as a fundament for building your tunes.. otherwise you just wont be able to turn your ideas into notes properly. Musical background will help you greatly to get a feeling for rythm and harmonics. Without that it will be almost impossible to make acceptable music. Same goes for at least a little production skills. I am not a production fetishist at all, but there should be at least a little knowledge about the general sound "layout" of the tune.

Even if you have a track with a great atmosphere in mind, if you cant transport the atmosphere into sound (which means after all mastering the single elements in a way they contribute the atmosphere), the track will simply fail. It's just the same as with a painter, who got great ideas but is unable to put his ideas onto the paper since he cant even draw.

Imagination is then just what makes the difference between pure craftsmanship and art. A little genius can make a big difference.

most people who wants to get into the music business listen to a lot of music. they are inspired by a lot of musicians. for psy.. i guess for example simon posford and infected are on that list (and MANY MANY others). and well, these people are amazing at what they do.

so what is most important then? i think some of you said it earlier. specially i agree with the one who said BELIEF in oneself is a major factor.

as an artist, do not copycat others. try to create your own little sphere in the music world. the ironic thing is, in order to get there (there = being an artist), you have to emulate the masters.

so.. i dont know. if i have to descibe the most important factor in succeeding in one word i'd have to say "DISIPLIN".

yes :)

.x

the most important thing for a REAL psytrance producer is to chat once with Simon Posford, because he knows how to build atmosphere in his tracks not like other artists i don´t called names of it only put 4 synths together and think that is psytrance. Simon really should open a Simon Posford music school in that all other psytrance artists can go and learn how to make it right becuase they are so unexperienced and always fall, but with simon´s help and a bit thinking they will be great.

Or he should release a getting started book to teach other psytrance artists how to program their synths because the others don´t get it.  :D

379890[/snapback]

OMFG you are phuckin obsessed with Simon aint you? of course i love most of simon's work ,and his participation in the scene is great[involved in so many projects, helped a lot], but STOP making him GOD ...

Now, sincerely, answer this question: Would you suck him off if he asked you to?

OMFG you are phuckin obsessed with Simon aint you? of course i love most of simon's work ,and his participation in the scene is great[involved in so many projects, helped a lot], but STOP making him GOD ...

Now, sincerely, answer this question: Would you suck him off if he asked you to?

380105[/snapback]

No, i mean that realy, look where he is alone or with other the groups always release good releases, loke Infinity Project, space Trbie and so on. :lol::lol::lol:

Guest The Journey Man Project

Posford can go fuck himself, the twisted worshipping here is the worst thing on this site!! Between Radio604 and Traveller it makes me throw up it's so fucking cheesey, makes Yahel look like Slayer in comparison!! I'd say Youth probably had the biggest influence on most of those you say were the best eg T.I.P, Posford etc. seeing as he started Butterfly Studios which was where all such artitst came from, and he was with KillingJoke a decade before Posford ever had a release!! Go talk to Youth before any of the others!!

Guest The Journey Man Project

And Imagination is definitely the ost important, the ability to hear music in any kind of sound or noise is much moe important than playing your scales or knowing which knob to tweak!

Posford can go fuck himself, the twisted worshipping here is the worst thing on this site!! Between Radio604 and Traveller it makes me throw up it's so fucking cheesey, makes Yahel look like Slayer in comparison!!  I'd say Youth probably had the biggest influence on most of those you say were the best eg T.I.P, Posford etc. seeing as he started Butterfly Studios which was where all such artitst came from, and he was with KillingJoke a decade before Posford ever had a release!! Go talk to Youth before any of the others!!

380163[/snapback]

You just have to mention me in every single thread don't you? ..retard

its quite obviously all of those,, usually in psytrance and other electronic nowdays you can hear that the artists have never played any isntrument, just learn how to sequence a track, it sounds so square and dead, theres so much else you can do expect 16th notes or triplets

Well, it depends what kind of music an artist want to make, but in general, producers need all of the mentioned...Musical skills you need to have so you can make melodies, harmonies, arrangements, imagination you need if you want to make story or concept and good production you need to have if you want to make soundscapes, mental images, sonic manipulations...but if you want all in one, perfectly constructed and combined album, you need to have all three...:)