history of psytrance v.s. history of rock and roll

auryn

Hi guys, it's the first time i've actually started a topic but it just occurred to me that you can see the history of rock 'n roll mirrored in the history of the psy trance scene:

For example, you could say that

94-97 - > 60ies like the original inspired period that spawned the greatest rock type music

97-00 - > 70ies lots of diversification and a general tendecy to try too hard and be hip with it. Infected mushroom's impact mirrors the punk upheaval, and the rise of progressive mirrors disco.

00-now - > 80ies, just lots of powerballads (most israeli full-on), hair metal (skazi). Not much alternative, just some that is either cool but too weird to be full-impact like the talking heads (squaremeat) or depeche mode (talpa). Advent of darkpsy mirrors goth music in the 80ies.

we have already reached the beginning of the 90ies with labels starting to advertise themselves as the "alternative" to the psy mainstream which ofcourse mirrors the rise of grunge/alternative stuff in the early 90'ies

as we are close to coming full circle with 94/95 and the original psy explosion, you may wander what will happen. according to my calculations, we are approaching a virtual supernova of quality new music, but due to time slowing down as we near the singularity this will happen no sooner than... (wait for it...) 2012.

Interesting insight! Perhaps this shows that the social cycle of musical evolution takes places in all genres, at all time scales. It took rock music 40 years to get where it is now, but trance only 10. "Where it is now" seems to a be a fully evolved state where everything has essentially been done before, but instead of there being nothing new to experiment with, creativity explodes in all directions and there's an infinity of new possibilities. Perhaps older musical genres like classical and jazz did this too, but it took them a century or more.

The extrapolation: if it took trance music only ten years to fully evolve, then the "next big thing" will explode incredibly rapidly, in the course of a year or two. Things are too chaotic in the world and in music for me to even attempt to predict what that would be, but I hope for clarity when the time is right.

interesting stuff mate!

boy almost makes me hungry for weed again, used to have loads of those insights *sigh*

anyway it seems very plausible indeed, the whole vortex cycle, and time and history repeating itself

Very, very interesting read. Makes a lot of sense and when history really is repeating itself, then the next blast of good music should be soon arriving...

Well, I personally think that there allready is a lot of good music, but still...