Albums with only one sound

Basilisk

There seems to be no shortage of these... albums with one sound, hammered endlessly until the last beat drops. Some try to distract you by throwing a chill-out tune last, but this isn't convincing anyone. Same goes for the "innovators" who put the one chill tune in the middle, or right at the start. No one is fooled.

I just don't understand the appeal of an album that only had one mood, one drive, one style. It's boring! And how am I supposed to review this stuff? I keep falling asleep... haha.

Rant over :)

There seems to be no shortage of these... albums with one sound, hammered endlessly until the last beat drops. Some try to distract you by throwing a chill-out tune last, but this isn't convincing anyone. Same goes for the "innovators" who put the one chill tune in the middle, or right at the start. No one is fooled.

I just don't understand the appeal of an album that only had one mood, one drive, one style. It's boring! And how am I supposed to review this stuff? I keep falling asleep... haha.

Rant over :)

375903[/snapback]

For me all worse full on groups sound same :D:lol::lol::lol:

P.S. I can´t believe that in year 2005 in that the artists can easliy make awesome quality melodic trance the artits only release full on or how it is cold the trance with the monophonic bassline and the very hard kicks.

It means you buy the album but only really need the one or two exceptional or representative tunes... what's the point of listening to the rest then? Disposable music!

Next week on psybitch: DJs with one sound... what the hell ever happened to development in a set? Playing for three hours straight and never once varying the energy level or style should earn you a dropkick to the nuts.

:P

It means you buy the album but only really need the one or two exceptional or representative tunes... what's the point of listening to the rest then? Disposable music!

Next week on psybitch: DJs with one sound... what the hell ever happened to development in a set? Playing for three hours straight and never once varying the energy level or style should earn you a dropkick to the nuts.

:P

376031[/snapback]

word! gotta love those djs that play on 145 for 3 hours, fortunately for these guys most full-on is exactlty 145 so they dont even have to work the pitch!!! Awesome!!!

and to radi6404, also word!!!

Guest The Journey Man Project

Wooo where to begin...

well I mean every artits sounds the same, hence when you go to a party you go "ooh that sounds like so and so" and it completely depends on the mood... sometimes I think Astral Proijection old classix sound like shit, and then I put it on when I'm drivign as the sun rise, blasting full volume, it is perfect again... it's mood musik ;)

But seriously:

ISRAELY FULL ON is the worst this scene ever ever ever had... don't they ever think for themselves over there? That military training must really bang into there heads to be exactly the same, coz themusic is... nothing original since oh 1999, and that;s being generous!!

followed closely by other full on including dark psytrance... it's actually very boring music... I made cd's for my car, each goes 4-5 hours of my fav tracks from my collection, and old school goa and ambientis the only one that I can listen all the way thru... the rest is just BORING!! Wake up psy world, you really are stagnant!!

376031[/snapback]

Word. But a lot of DJ's can't even stick to a fucking theme for more than two tracks in a row, they mix whatever they may randomly flip up in their caselogic's. And for the love of god, someone pry the effect knob off of the DJM600 first if you necessarily have to let these fucktards up there, because I do NOT need to hear another set with the fucking flanger caned in EVERY. SINGLE. TRACK.

Anyway - My beef isn't necessarily with single-sounded albums (although I do crave some variation), but with the fact that you nowadays can't tell the artists apart - it's one sound per the entire genre. As I've said about 18000 times now, remember when you could tell a transwave track from one by etnica, a mwnn track from one by hallucinogen, a green nuns track from one by total eclipse? That diversity is gone, and while you have a wide range of styles (from housey prog to full on and the "dark" stuff), there are very very few who have their own distinct sound. Back in the 90's, a sonically thematic album was fine because it was almost guaranteed to be different and thus interesting, but today it's a whole other story. Apparantly most producers think that you have to pick a sub-genre formula, and stick to it no matter what. Same kicks, same basses, same production techniques, same structures, same fucking mood in every track.

And since you can always count on me to retort any Filteria criticism: While Sky Input has a limited range of sound styles, it still stands out from the rest of the scene like a monstertruck at a Fiat factory. That's something that can't be said for very many albums in the past few years. But yeah, it could do with more variations in sound, I'm nagging him about this every time he's making a new track =)

When I read the thread title Cosmic Tone - Going Solo immediately came to my mind. It would be nice music but it all sounds so similar it could be a parody of itself (unfortunately it's meant to be taken serious...).

I wouldn't add Filteria to that category btw (imho of course). He has a unique style in his tracks but they still sound different to me.

I think the problem might be that when starting a new track, a lot of (new) psy producers think "I want to produce fat psy trance" and that becomes the outset of the track (i.e. fat psytrance implies big kicks, big basslines, and screechy delayed sounds arrangend in a typical psy style) thus the music becomes a parody of itself.

I think the outset of a track should always be an emotion or experience that you try to express through sound and rhythm. And if what comes out sounds like psy, fine. If it doesn't really sound like psy at all, even better, cause you've then invented a new style/sound.