Old Synthis for Goa

Im also in the boat of really only wanting to deal with analogue if its a modular.

Some of the sounds ive heard(especially what Process has done with audio rate modulation stuff, like the end lead filter FM sound in beast - spawn, nothing else can do that).

The reason i dont have one though(beyond the expense) is i know that having to write down the patch cable connections in order to re-create a patch would drive me completely insane.

I really wish some company would make some kind of computer interface to a modular, like all the processing is done analog but just the patching is done digitally.

Also with the z1 vs the prophecy i think its because the z1 boasts "better" DAC or something like that. I know one thing with the prophecy is the outputs are pretty shitty on alot of machines. Those "better" Z1 DAC's sound really cheesy to my ears though. Even the physical models are more cheesy sounding than the prophecy.

A really sick cheap synth too is the Korg Oasys PCI if you have an old computer sitting around. Its not as raw as the prophecy, doesnt sound cheesy at all like the z1 and sounds "bigger" than both of them. Its really sick for analog sounds(easy the best digital analog ive ever heard) its not so good though for more out there analog type sounds, the physical models though are UNBELIEVABLE. I sold mine last year because i hadnt had it hooked up much but i will certainly get one again(there is even a reaktor like interface for it that runs on mac to make your own synths on it, although even with knowing reaktor somewhat it completely broke my brain)

I really wish some company would make some kind of computer interface to a modular, like all the processing is done analog but just the patching is done digitally.

Isn't that what the Nord Modular is all about...? Granted, it's not analog at all, but I have heard people praising it anyway. Does it sound good? Are the osc's and envelopes fast enough to compare to analogs?

Also with the z1 vs the prophecy i think its because the z1 boasts "better" DAC or something like that. I know one thing with the prophecy is the outputs are pretty shitty on alot of machines.

379065[/snapback]

Yep, the outputs are nasty. One has to take care not to get tiny clicks from midi messages in the audio :o - apart from that, I don't know if the actual DAC is good or bad, but it *sounds* good either way... That would seem to be the most important criterion ;) Compared to the MWXT it has a bottomless noisefloor - but comparing to the MWXT is unfair, since it's the most noisy gadget I ever heard :D

-A

does anyone have a microwave XT? I really need a knob box and the XT could serve as a knob box plus a killer synth. 2 questions, i thought i read you cant use different wavetables for the 2 different oscilators? that would suck. Also, how close does the wavetable oscilators sound to a normal oscilator if the wavetable is making a saw or a square? Im just trying to get a feel for the range of non metalic sounds it can make.

Im not sure what MWNN or Total Eclipse used. Maybe if anyone knows what artist used as a signature sound we could list them.

koxbox - prophecy

Bamboo Forest - tons of k2000

Simon - k2000

Beast - analog modular, k2000 and an eventide formant filter for those weird alien vocal sounds.

I love to know what Shakta used, alot of his stuff sounds like real analog but im not sure.

i have a Wald Xt , you can make analoglike sounds with saw or square waves , both oscilators have option for this basic waves+noise .... analoglike sounds on Microwave are solid

nothing spectacular even with nice sounding digital oscilators and very good modulation matrix , Virus or Nord are better for this , but MW is it better than Yamaha An1x (its virtual analog too) from late 90 s .... if you want analog, buy some old Roland or some legendary vintage synth (sh,Pro one ...) OR some new analog like Andromeda ,Sunsyn,or something from Studio Electronics(i will get a Se atc -x :) )... as you know they have deepness , warmth and powerful sound wath we hear on Astral Projections production in 90 s , just analogs can sounded so massive :)

but if you can, buy a MW xt too , fantastic sonic possibilities , strange ,metalic , fm like , volewelike , percussive sounds ...nothing can sounded like MW XT , just a Big Brother

Waldorf Wave , very rare and expensive synth , with wavetable synthese and CEM analog filters ...

for control box you can take Behriger Brc2000 ,is ceap and very easy to use , you can control softsynthis , sequencers and even a hardware like Oberheim Matrix generation, Junos ,Jx s and so ....

Microvawe can send hes own midi CC s , but with little bugs :) in wm s software it is not a best solution for using it like a control box ...

I don't recommend the XT as a controller box either. In my first post, I bitched about the values the knobs send - sometimes they go in the opposite direction of what I turn! It makes it an interesting live-experience to bring the XT :o

You can't have different wavetables on the two osc's either - but the position in a wavetable being played can be different for the osc's, and in the end of each and every wavetable are triangle, saw, and square - so these can be combined at will. Besides - you can make such diverse wavetables, that the two osc's will sound completely different, although using the same table.

-A

Yeah the XT is a great synth, very deep. I owned a Q for a while, but sold it as I found it too similar to the XT & just prefered the XT out of the two.

JD990 is a good synth, higher rated bit depth than the later models too. The JV2080 is also very good, along the same line, but maybe not as warm. These black boxes put people off, but there's some serious power under the hood.

MS20 is great for weird little buzz's & all kinds of mouthy type leads.

I bought an Alesis Ion earlier this year & it's a great synth, well worth checking out. It has various modelled filters from Roland, Oberheim etc in the options & these can radically change a sound by having these available in the armoury.

• 1 month later...

Helo Synthfreaks!

Lets refresh this tread about analog synthesizers...in meentime i get an Andromeda :)

so .... i expect more analog power form that gear <_< im little bit , but just little bit dissapointed with this beauty ... its BIG , heavy , loth of controllers , buttons , knobs , big green display ,even you must waiting for warming up analog components for right tune ....BUT verry bad presets , and a base sound is for my taste softy than i expect , you dont have that brutal analog sound like on vintage gears , even my 18 year old Oberheim Martix is a dady in his brutality ... Andromeda is something between expensive VA (Nord,Virus) synthis and vintage gear (Jupiers , Obies) so...

thats my first impression ... rest you will hear in my tracks :)

Helo Synthfreaks!

Lets refresh this tread about analog synthesizers...in meentime i get an Andromeda  :)

so .... i expect more analog power form that gear  <_<  im little bit , but just little bit dissapointed with this beauty ... its BIG , heavy , loth of controllers , buttons , knobs , big green display ,even  you must waiting for warming up analog components for right tune ....BUT  verry bad presets , and a base sound is for my taste softy than i expect ,  you dont have that brutal analog sound like on vintage gears , even my 18 year old Oberheim Martix is a dady in his brutality ... Andromeda is something between expensive VA (Nord,Virus) synthis and vintage gear (Jupiers , Obies) so...

thats my first impression ... rest you will hear in my tracks  :)

411003[/snapback]

Oh my god oh my god oh my gooood!

:rolleyes:

I'm saving for this beauty. Although I never tried it :P But it has lots of functions. And the samples I've heard sound really yummie. Keep us updated about this synth... please?

About the presets: I've read that they sounds "bad" indeed but that once you start knowing your synth, you'll be very pleased with it sounds and you'll constantly want to save sounds. (Maybe you've read this too hehe :))

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone tried the JP-8000 or 8080?

421752[/snapback]

:D yes , but i have sell it ,after 3 years

.... its good for typical trance leads ala Scooter . supersaw waveform is very characteristic for this instrument , littlebit HiFi sounding synth but ,good user interface ,good vocoder (JP8080) .... not so strong sound like Nordlead , and not so flexibile like Virus ... better from Krog MS 2000 and Yamaha An1X ... and verry good secondhand price... btw Rolands new V synt and XT have a same method of modeling of analog synthesis, supersaw and some new features ....

the new Virus TI have hypersaw too (i think its a same thing ) few detuned saw waveforms for that typical trance sound .....

;)

Another try to refresh this tread, because it's a very interesting subject.

my analog-gear consist of:

SH-101 (with some Mods: filter-overdrive, filter fm, and others)

2xTB 303 HomeMade (with MIDI and some mods too)

Matrix1000

SuperBassstation (mostly used to control SH-101, via gate & cv out)

I really love the color of real analog sounds, for me there's a big difference to software, DSP, etc. in quality. but as it's only nuances that make the difference it depends on, let's say the resolution, of one's ears beeing able to realize this nuances. I don't want to blame anybodys ears, but every human beeing has got other qualitys and there is matching music for every pair of ears :D

Anyway, using analog synths is not the ultimate solution to produce any good sound.

Specially for Goa it's often to smooth. So for me most important thing is the way you use this analog sounds. I use it as basic audio-material and then work with several effects, distortion, EQ, phaser, flanger, chorus, extra filters with modulations..... mostly I use up to 10 effects on a sound but lots of them only with low levels. I also often use samples from JD800, the waveforms from the analog expansion are awesome, and pass it thru my effect gear. This makes the analog gear usefull for any mix, and still you can hear the analog-base.

Mostly I get the best results by using lower quality effect gear, I mean just no unaffordable-highquality-studio-gear. You really should try some guitar effect gear for analog synths the results are massiv, then still u can ad some quality reverb or delay, but I don't.

All my effects are in one machine, whitch let's me use up to 12 effects on same time

and I can choose path.

Ok I've also a analog phaser and a analog flanger from boss. and soon I will bu a good, affordable compressor. <_<

Quite a lot of resources for original schematic

http://www.hylander.us/images/schematics/roland/tb303.gif

the problem is, there are some parts to change.

I had a great documentation bout all that, and really would love to share it, but I lost it in a f...ing fire :angry:

the most difficult part was the VCA, I remember having it replaced by a CA3080 OTA

midi-implemetation is very easy, if you can handle with microControllers

(watch out for the 5.333V supply used for the DAC)

some semiconductors are very hard to get

think there are a lot of resources on internet

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

"SH-101 (with some Mods: filter-overdrive, filter fm, and others)"

you have an clips of the sh-101 with filter fm? i love the sound of filter fm, that has to sound mental.

425303[/snapback]

Since I have sh-101 too I would also love to hear what these extra features sounds like... can you post some examples (without any other fx from other machines).