Old Synthis for Goa

They must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their studio, unless they got the old analog gear in the early 90's when they were out of fashion and cheap. I wonder if their studio is insured? :)

Yea it is thinner, but few of us have the dough for the gear and it's probably difficult to find fully functional units of some of the synths.

The new psy doesn't have powerful melodies like 90's goa and psy - in fact dark psy is the antithesis of goa with its grey binary noise leads and atonal melodies, so boring. And the commercialization of psy... well, you get the drift.

629763[/snapback]

that is the magic of old instruments , you find it somwhere , pay it , wait for it ... and then get some piece of history :)

in past i have Virus C , its perfect VA Synth , allways in tune , minimal midi latency , tousands of patches , every tone is same ... but then i buy an old Oberheim Matrix 6 with broken keys , terrible looking ,BUT the WARMTH... the color of every played sound is in some way different , theese machines lives ,now i get an old Juno 60 and im verry happy with it ... i cacht an old SH-09 from net last month , i will recive it tomorrow ...

discret analog circuits , analog filter , fast envenlopes .... :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I want to buy an alpha juno 2 or an MKS-50 becaus I like the sound of analog gear and menawhile I'm a bit tired of software-sound. Unfortunately I use Cubase SL 3 and it's not possible to control synths with mixermaps or something similar because SL doesn't have this feature (in opposite to SX). Does anybody know if there is a solution to control synths with cubase SL (or another software) on PC and a normal midi-controller that isn't capable of sending sysex (I have an M-Audio Radium)? Or do I have to get a sysex-controller like e.g. Behringer BCR?

regards - Martin

it may be just my opinion but i think there is no poin in buying old analog beyond the nostalgic/collector appeal.

your money would be better spent on some killer dsp, new pc, new monitors, whatever.

it may be just my opinion but i think there is no poin in buying old analog beyond the nostalgic/collector appeal.

your money would be better spent on some killer dsp, new pc, new monitors, whatever.

655078[/snapback]

blasphemy :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

blasphemy :ph34r:

haha yea software is great for really thin boring sounds that all sound the same :)

I still never grabbed a JD-990 and actually ran across my own post doing a google search for 2 years back..

any of you guys that used the jd-990 say anything about FMX? I take it doesnt work like a traditional carrier/modulator pair? Just have control over intensity and "color"?

It doesnt look from the manual that you could pitch down the modulator two octaves compared with the carrier to get the modern FM psy squiggly sound?

They must have spent tens of thousands of dollars on their studio, unless they got the old analog gear in the early 90's when they were out of fashion and cheap. I wonder if their studio is insured? :)

Yea it is thinner, but few of us have the dough for the gear and it's probably difficult to find fully functional units of some of the synths.

The new psy doesn't have powerful melodies like 90's goa and psy - in fact dark psy is the antithesis of goa with its grey binary noise leads and atonal melodies, so boring. And the commercialization of psy... well, you get the drift.

I'm sure they spent at least $10k+ plus on a studio. I first got interested in making psy around 1999, and even then coming on a more "amateur" production board like this(old dream list) to even get going you had to spend around $4-5k to even really make a track. Figure before VST you needed to at least buy a hardware sampler for percussion/kicks, 2 or 3 synths at least, a hardware mixer,an efx unit, soundcard for your PC that were alot more expensive than now and then DAW software that couldnt do much beyond midi and record. That was a big reason the virus took off so big for psy, all you had to buy then was the virus, mixer and soundcard. Same with the nord lead in a way, it was just cheaper than buying all this other stuff.

• 8 years later...

Any of you by chance speaks German and uses a Braintec Transistorbass 3? I'm just too lazy to type the 60 pages in Google Translate to harness its full potential...It has hidden functionalities and I'd love to command its LFO and matrix using MIDI CC. If no one has figured out yet, then maybe I'll add this in my todo list of 2016 -_-

What I like of hardware synths is obviously their imperfect sound, especially obvious in synths such as the SH-101. VSTIs tend to be too perfect, however, I noticed that adding a small amount of white noise to VSTIs makes them sound very nice. I tried it with the SH-101 PLUG-OUT VSTi and I am unable to distinguish the VSTi from the hardware synth :)

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

What I like of hardware synths is obviously their imperfect sound, especially obvious in synths such as the SH-101. VSTIs tend to be too perfect, however, I noticed that adding a small amount of white noise to VSTIs makes them sound very nice. I tried it with the SH-101 PLUG-OUT VSTi and I am unable to distinguish the VSTi from the hardware synth :)

thats when thats GOOD ! :)