progressive regressive

is it just me or has the sound been stagnating for a while now?

insane creation, guadium, funky dragon, elastic ... it's all a big yawn to me.

that nordic, scando sound's hit a big wall, and I think it's time we all move on to greener pastures.

that nordic, scando sound's hit a big wall, and I think it's time we all move on to greener pastures.

372787[/snapback]

I do agree. I am too getting boring of the same old same. But Phony's new release is nice though... Much more "dirty" and less "clean " and sterile as most progressive trance releases are at the moment.

and thus the world made Zenon and Tribal Vision records...

372806[/snapback]

Tribal Vison is very nice but I already see a tendany to go the same way on each of their releases. I think that's the biggest mistake labels do.. They find a sound that work and stay there.

Tribal Vison is very nice but I already see a tendany to go the same way on each of their releases.  I think that's the biggest mistake labels do.. They find a sound that work and stay there.

372809[/snapback]

but you can agree limelight does not sound the same as inner circle... does it?

but you can agree limelight does not sound the same as inner circle... does it?

372812[/snapback]

yes sure but limelight and Urban legends sound quite the same. And as far as I know it's not changing. I hope it does though :)

Oh and Inner Circle sound like everything else being put out by the other progg. trance labels.... no news there sadly :(

Edited by Kris

yes sure but limelight and Urban legends sound quite the same. And as far as I know it's not changing.  I hope it does though :)

Oh and Inner Circle sound like everything else being put out by the other progg. trance labels.... no news there sadly :(

372815[/snapback]

i wouln't place inner circle with everything else out there, they had a few spikes around the edges that i found most pleasing... personally, one of the better ones out there right now... as for changing or staying the same... i dunno, ill just knock on wood on hope for the best ;)

hey kriss i found the sample you used in your song the other day and heard the whole thing... nice! reminds me a lot of Eye For An Eye, An - Sirus (Halo Varga mix) (V/a - Widescreen:16:9:V1 ) from Platipus... ahh man those were the days... :)

hey kriss i found the sample you used in your song the other day and heard the whole thing... nice! reminds me a lot of Eye For An Eye, An - Sirus (Halo Varga mix) (V/a - Widescreen:16:9:V1 ) from Platipus... ahh man those were the days...  :)

372860[/snapback]

Any track title of my track so I know what track your talking about? :P

Yes Platipus was a very very nice label with great timeless releases. Well they still excist but of course it's not the same anymore even though they once in a while still release some interesting stuff.

Any track title of my track so I know what track your talking about?  :P

Yes Platipus was a very very nice label with great timeless releases. Well they still excist but of course it's not the same anymore even though they once in a while still release some interesting stuff.

372872[/snapback]

Cityrain... the sample is from an old movie... didn't see the name... i found it in a really old program about movies... "cinemania 96"... :rolleyes: there are loadssss of great samples there... you know greta garbo style... in psy or even progressive these days... who knows how that might work ;)

Cityrain... the sample is from an old movie... didn't see the name... i found it in a really old program about movies... "cinemania 96"...  :rolleyes: there are loadssss of great samples there... you know greta garbo style... in psy or even progressive these days... who knows how that might work  ;)

372920[/snapback]

hehe, cool :)

Cityrain... the sample is from an old movie... didn't see the name... i found it in a really old program about movies... "cinemania 96"...  :rolleyes: there are loadssss of great samples there... you know greta garbo style... in psy or even progressive these days... who knows how that might work  ;)

372920[/snapback]

To be honest i did not even know where that sample came from :) I found it on a friends harddisk and thought it was cool :)

There's for sure some nice old samples from old movies :)

My opinion... is that as soon as a "progressive" sound becomes solidified and codified, then it ceases to be progressive. Simultaneously, new artists will come along to create something fresh, and that style then becomes what is progressive at the moment; the cycle thus repeats.

For instance: FreQ's album was really cool and popular last year, then his style got reduced to a formula and copied quite a bit. Then something new has to come along - for me, it's the new Ticon, wow, what amazing shit. Perhaps they'll push the stream of releases in a new direction, who knows. Anyways, my point is that music never really stagnates, if it feels to you like it has, then you need to break out of your box and look for new interesting stuff, it's always out there somewhere.

372787[/snapback]

to tell you the truth I didnt even listen to these artists you mention.. except for gaudium which I found boring... just another of these prog-psy boring fashion....

the only really really REAAAALLY good prog (trance) release that came out lately was Antix - TCD.... that was a perfect cd for me... amazing stuff, very well thought out

the phony orphants cd, well, its ok, has some nice parts (sex and drugs, I want to feel, mi corazon and party), but it doesnt make my mind go wild like antix

the things that have been released and are very interesting are the ´crossover´ stuff... like d-nox and beckers.. all of their tracks are very good.. and then there are others like luke chable, andre absolut, etc...

but yeah, once again I say: im sick of these prog-psy that have been released lately... fking boring no-imagination stuff

but yeah, once again I say: im sick of these prog-psy that have been released lately... fking boring no-imagination stuff

372956[/snapback]

give us specifics... let's get dirty laundry out!

ps: Iboga should really be paying you to run advertisements for antix :P:lol:

give us specifics... let's get dirty laundry out!

ps: Iboga should really be paying you to run advertisements for antix  :P  :lol:

372971[/snapback]

names? easy.. genetic spin, tegma, echotek (of today.. they used to be good), liquid soul, gaudium, xibalba, symphonix, audiomatic, etc etc etc

its sooooo boring

hahah yeah if they sent me some promos I would be happy ;).. but really, I think they deserve this promotion from me because they just rock.. on cd and live and dj set...

names? easy.. genetic spin, tegma, echotek (of today.. they used to be good), liquid soul, gaudium, xibalba, symphonix, etc etc etc

its sooooo boring

hahah yeah if they sent me some promos I would be happy ;)..  but really, I think they deserve this promotion from me because they just rock.. on cd and live and dj set...

372978[/snapback]

agreed, aprooved!

:D

In my opinion Phony rock a mile over Antix.. Antix became too sterile for me.. the same ol same :(

Phony made a diverse "dirty" and very fresh "non-repeat ourself" CD which I think is amazing on the floors... Underworld influences, techno, progressive, house and psy... wicked :)

In my opinion Phony rock a mile over Antix.. Antix became too sterile for me.. the same ol same :(

Phony made  a diverse "dirty" and very fresh "non-repeat ourself" CD which I think is amazing on the floors... Underworld influences, techno, progressive, house and psy... wicked :)

372986[/snapback]

and imo, antix rocks a light-year over phony... beat ya :lol:

no but really.. as I said, I think phony orphants have some very nice moments.. but it lacks a certain something that I cant define..

oh well.. opinions opinions ;)

and imo, antix rocks a light-year over phony... beat ya  :lol:

no but really..  as I said, I think phony orphants have some very nice moments.. but it lacks a certain something that I cant define..

oh well.. opinions opinions ;)

372995[/snapback]

Sure it's different opinions.. I am just tired of the aussie/Kiwi progressive sound that Antix and Freq represent... It's too sterile and predictable.... whereas Phoney turned 360 degrees round and did something very unpredictable.. :)

Sure it's different opinions.. I am just tired of the aussie/Kiwi progressive sound that Antix and Freq represent... It's too sterile and predictable....  whereas Phoney turned 360 degrees round and did something very unpredictable.. :)

373006[/snapback]

freq and antix? wow, these are on totally different categories imo...

Freq was nice in the beginning, party stuff, but then became too much of the same.. good productions though, cannot deny that... But as I said, very different than antix.. its fast ´stomach twirling´ progressive...

antix is much more leaning in the housier area, much slower,and definitely not predictable and quite different one track from the other... at least thats what I get when listening to it.. Tracks like ´forever changing´, which begins with nothing and build up to one of the best breaks I ever heard in my life, perfect for party, awesome atmospheres, and then we got this hollow clubby vocal track in ´le lascard´ with very subtle sounds and not so much ´in your face´ like others, and the beautiful vocals and feeling of ´hiding place´, etc.. there´s no mistake there, no weak track..

as for phony, yeah they did something very nice.. and im a fan of electro dirty underground kinda stuff for sure.. Emok is actually one of my favourite djs.. I guess jeppe is the one I dont like so much....

for example the ´going down´ track, its nothing special, some dark aspiration but kinda annoying somehow.. and ´house for my spouse´ is an average track for the house world imo... and rise, who´s melodies dont touch me at all.. but yeah I do enjoy the other tracks very much as I said.. awesome vocals and mixture of dirty and clean housy sounds in ´I want to feel´, dirty and powerful party stormer in ´sex drugs´, dirty electro tech feeling in ´party´ and ´got what it takes´, and slower tripper in ´mi corazon´... its just not a perfect cd as I found antix cd to be... The fact that the cd has variety is a plus for sure...

but then again, we will return to the fact that you see them as predictable and phony as different and I will see antix as not predictable in its thousands of inner details and constructions, visuals and soundscapes, and phony as very nice too but lacking a bit of smt... I know you are not wrong or anything, and im sure you dont think im wrong... so yeah, taste ;)

I find Freq as boring and predictable as those artists mentioned in my original post.

I'm not at all impressed with the stuff Iboga has been coming out with lately.

Antix though, I give some credit because the latest album is much more worth a listen than the majority out there in proggy land.

I've lately been listening quite a bit to the more straight up progressive acts. Krueger and Coyle, SBK, compilations from sebatian's label, alot of housy progressive stuff. Peter gun's Pressure Point is pretty solid. Detailed, percussive and groovy. Much more interesting stuff I think.

on another note... Sun Control Species is coming out with an album? that's fantastic news! one of the top acts in the psy scene.

SCS, oh yeah

really looking forward to that

hope drooid will keep those bpms down

i find this antix vs po debate ridiculous, cannot compare the styles at all other than say i like this more.

Both albums are amazing imo, Antix has grown on me much more for the simple reason that i have had much longer

need to give phony more time

what i respect about both of these acts is that as much as their debuts rocked, they did not stagnate in that sound

actually, andy from this forum has been putting out some original music

I agree to an extent... some of it is getting quite boring... like there's some holy quest to make THE cleanest most sterile stuff around. On one level (the chin-stroking one I suppose) I appreciate it... but then I take a step back and say - is there any life in this music? Would people unacquainted with psytrance find it utterly uninteresting? Yeah, some of the time... I don't understand what the time and place is for some of these sounds - when it's time to clear the dancefloor and go home? But that's a regional bias... I'm sure people groove on to this stuff somewhere.

Anyway I'm still a big prog lover and there is great stuff out there... I'm commenting on a non-specified list of yawn-inducing material that is always lurking around. How the hell can you review this stuff anyway? I'm sick of writing "well it's nicely produced, and highly polished, and there is quite a flow, but I still feel asleep"...