About Psy Basslines

Hi people!

Know that this issue probably have been up alot of times but can´t seem to get real answers...

I have been making alot of music in many different genres, but not that much psytrance.

My problem is that I can´t make the bassline sit good in the mix sounding like "the pros".

I am talking about standard 303 full-on basslines.

I have tried TBL and "The Bassline" and found them pretty bad, but maybe its jyust me. "The Bassline" sounded like there was some soundartefact (like a click noise) when the note was played and when it was released! :(

And TBL had a bad waveform in my opinion or at least it should be EQed alot.

I never can seem to get that "real" sound, but I am close (but some might say that it is the last 2% that makes a track) so there I want to get it right!

Can anybody come with some good thoughts and answers about EQ, Notes, Compression or so? :unsure:

Thanx

Psypher

the click sound in ur bass is an enveloppe problem...

adjust the attack and release (should be one of those 2)...

as far as good bass sound... try audiorealism, vb-l, and i got some success with cronos lately... give it a shot...

and yes Eq is important but not absolutely necessary, depends on the synth and the bass u got...

but i am not master at this.. just like u trying to get better at it... it takes a lot of time...

the click sound in ur bass is an enveloppe problem...

adjust the attack and release (should be one of those 2)...

as far as good bass sound... try audiorealism

371566[/snapback]

It was actually the AudioRealism "Bassline" and there is no attack or release, so that is my worry.

You can try it yourself. Make a bassline in it and get the volume up there and solo it and see if you can´t get / hear it too?

BTW Sundrop, is that your NL2 and KP-2 on the picture? Is it good? I was thinking about buying those 2 in some days. Are they good in combination?

It was actually the AudioRealism "Bassline" and there is no attack or release, so that is my worry.

You can try it yourself. Make a bassline in it and get the volume up there and solo it and see if you can´t get / hear it too?

BTW Sundrop, is that your NL2 and KP-2 on the picture? Is it good? I was thinking about buying those 2 in some days. Are they good in combination?

371571[/snapback]

yes they are an excellent combination!! i think the KP2 is the best effects you can get in its price, and the NL2X is relatively cheap too. because the NL has no effects, you can put BPM echos and reverb with the pad, and much more, plus my mixer has echos/filter which are good for sonic mayhem :ph34r:

however you should also look at the NL3 and Virus, and many other options before you spend $$$ B) in a way i would prefer the NL3 over the 2, but my goal now is to own both! im addicted to hardware! hehe!

Sundrop: I already got a Virus, so I was looking for the NL2X to fit together with the Virus and I don´t wanna take the next big step up to a NL3 (can´t afford it)

Personally I think Audiorealism is great :)

371625[/snapback]

I think the sound is good too, but that clicknoise I get on my basslines are bringing my opinion about it down...

It is no problem when everything is playing but if its only Kick and bassline playing loud, then I can hear it! :(

Well

I personaly dont like Audiorealism. I used for a long time when i was using a low quality sequencer :P and it was the best bass i could get out of it

Nowadays i am using Logic, and i found that the Logic bass( ES M) is quite good. Althou its take sometime to lear how to get something out of it, the quality is great.

Soooo, may i ask you what kind of program are you using?

Apart from good eq'ing ( mentioned above ) my advice would be expirement with compression a bit. you can really get a punchy bassline with the right compression, preferably hardware compression that is. try using different attack and release settings and you'll probably get closer to the sound you are looking for. also could be an idea add a bit of distortion/overdrive as well :)

good luck.

Ok, Basslines for Full On Psy that are structured somewhat in this way:

X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 (where x is no note)

Would sound best if you are using something else than Audiorealism. To make 303 bassline however its a great program.

I would suggest, that you play around a little bit with Pro53 or with Novations BassStation, for a more Deep round but kicking bass sound.

Personally, the best bassline I have ever made for a full on track, I made with Reasons Subtractor and then re-created it on my Virus C :)

I use the VB1 (Free with Cubase), (sometimes the Cm303 or TBL)

I use the waves bundle C4, and muck around with the frequencies for the compression, using the multiband compressor kinda like an eq, then smooth it out with an ultramaxer if needed. I've met and spoke with alot of artists... some keep it dry and keep all the other levels done and let it get punched up in mastering. some compress while writing, most are using the VB1 or the TBL, but not all.

I do the three note bassline thing after the kick usually as well.

anyways, I still have a way to go with my stuff, but I hope you find that useful.

here's some of my tracks. Also at the bottom of the screen is a free kick drum that was made using the infected mushroom tutorial that was on there site a while back.

smiles.

aya.

download aya tracks

oh ya, I found the tbl always had to be brought up an octave, it always seems to sit an octave low for some reason...

Ok, Basslines for Full On Psy that are structured somewhat in this way:

X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 X c1 c2 c1 (where x is no note)

Tekk, Are you saying here it should be note, note one octave up, note ?

One thing people haven't pointed out is you should make sure the bass and the kick don't interfere with each other, I.E make sure the bass hsa ended before the kick starts and the other way round. An Osciliscope or equivalent VSTi should do the job.

Andy

a little something i learned back in Nam...

- get hold of AnalogX's Note to Frequency converter.

- type in the notes of your bassline i.e g-2 & g-3 and write down their frequencies

- plug a parametic EQ in front of your bassline and boost these frequencies and filter around them

- it is important to understand that music is just a bunch of frequencies and things like filters, bass boost and anything that effs with sound either takes them away or boosts them, so when you plug in that filter make sure it's not cutting the frequency of your root note.

- in your final mix you can also boost the frequencies of your root notes i.e G-2, G-3, G-4 and it will make your track much louder too.

One thing people haven't pointed out is you should make sure the bass and the kick don't interfere with each other, I.E make sure the bass hsa ended before the kick starts and the other way round.  An Osciliscope or equivalent VSTi should do the job.

377987[/snapback]

I advise against this... You may remove any possible interference, but you remove life as well. Rather compose a bassline that doesn't interfere with the kick to begin with. The most obvious reason, is that a kick that is shorter than 1/16 note is extremely boring and hollow. Mine are usually a little longer than 1/8, which would only leave room for this bass-pattern: ---x---x---x---x

Instead, tune the bass to the kick or the other way around, and use velocity (get those compressors outathere!!) on the bass to control interference. Yeah I'm oldschool, but it sounds waaay better - breathes more, instead of going kaggedigga-kaggedigga-kaggedigga-kaggedigga.

-A

a little something i learned back in Nam...

- get hold of AnalogX's Note to Frequency converter.

- type in the notes of your bassline i.e g-2 & g-3 and write down their frequencies

- plug a parametic EQ in front of your bassline and boost these frequencies and filter around them

- it is important to understand that music is just a bunch of frequencies and things like filters, bass boost and anything that effs with sound either takes them away or boosts them, so when you plug in that filter make sure it's not cutting the frequency of your root note.

- in your final mix you can also boost the frequencies of your root notes i.e G-2, G-3, G-4 and it will make your track much louder too.

378317[/snapback]

Interesting!! Very interesting <_<

oh and tb-303 also stands for the machine that has oscillated certain frequincies which abducted my brain and made a surgery on it leaving nothing but a jawdrop adoration for it, now i am a slave for it

380273[/snapback]

:lol::lol::lol:^_^