Pioneers of Trance.

Hehe, you just started a beast you know!? ;)

372123[/snapback]

Well, I'm not taking any responsibility for it! ;) If you need help I'm glad to provide new ideas and stuff but since I don't have connections or anything I can't see what I could do besides giving you ideas.

And when talking about ideas: What about Laurent Garnier? Not really trance I guess but he is a pionieer, isn't he? Have you read his book (biography)? I've started reading it, very interesting, but I've stopped since it's very difficult because I only have it in French. And my French is not good enough to read books. From what I have read he knows a lot, especially about the scene in England, raves and stuff.

ah well you were lucky then... I saw him DJ once here in Belgium in the late 90s (BTW he didn't play a SINGLE trance track in his set, only minimal techno!!) and when his gig was over a dude came for an autograph... Sven signed the autograph and then made a sign to the bouncers... they all surrounded him and didn't let people walk up to him anymore. I didn't really like the attitude, made him look like fucken Michael Jackson :( But who knows, maybe he was just REALLY tired and wanted to go home or had a plane to catch or something...

372125[/snapback]

I've read in an interview that he had a phase when he took a lot of cocaine, maybe this was in this time? It would fit the behaviour if you ask me. Especially when nowhe is a rather friendly or at least normal guy to talk to.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when talking about ideas: What about Laurent Garnier? Not really trance I

372135[/snapback]

You know what, Laurent Garnier IS a pioneer of trance. Remember all the FNAC releases? :) He is of course already included in the list of people that I would like to get a standpoint from :)

NP: Lunatic Asylum - A.L.S.O - The Meltdown.....

To be hones I don't know his old tracks, shame on me... <_< I just saw hiim DJing once in London (by accident more or less) and I've enjoyed it a lot. Bought his boods afterwards and I have one single track on vinyl (an old one). But thanks for making me think about checking out FNAC!!

To be hones I don't know his old tracks, shame on me...  <_< I just saw hiim DJing once in London (by accident more or less) and I've enjoyed it a lot. Bought his boods afterwards and I have one single track on vinyl (an old one). But thanks for making me think about checking out FNAC!!

372174[/snapback]

Check your PM ;)

you missed eat static..going since 1988 playing acid house and hardcore...ozrics? astralasia? yum yum? children of the bong? gong? kris Needs?

theres loads innit.

kraftwerk?

To be exactly right your topic should be called "the Pioneers of Electronic Trance".

ah yes good thing you mention that because I once stumbled on an album called Trancemission - Back in Trance released in 1989... I was all excited expecting to fall on some hidden treasure and it ended up being some rock album :(

You know what, Laurent Garnier IS a pioneer of trance. Remember all the FNAC releases? :) He is of course already included in the list of people that I would like to get a standpoint from :)

372138[/snapback]

Laurent Garnier is for sure a great producer, tunes like Acid Eiffel and Wake Up are true classics. While we're on the subject, I just noticed that his double cd "Early Works", with excellent tunes from 91-94 (including the two before mentioned tracks) are currently available in new condition for just $7,5 on Amazon. No reason to hesitate here!

Edit: Seems like they only had one copy left , which I ordered.... :P Well, well, you should still track it down, it's definetely worth it!

just to add that actually KLF - What Time is Love and 3 AM Eternal were part of a series called "Pure Trance"... SO the term trance DID exist back then!! (1987- 1988) I'm convinced that this isn't just a one-off thing, there surely must've been a VERY underground trance scene even back then but of which noone (except the lucky few who were actually in it) ever knew existed. But it was there, and those tracks by KLF are simply the ones that time haven't forgotten :)

anyone agree?

Maby you could also ask the people you interview, try to sneak it in there, about who they think could contribute to your project? Im sure there are alot of people behind the scenes that have alot of knowledge about this stuff eventhough they might not be well known to the public.  :)

372181[/snapback]

Hey Negro, yeah, thats the plan. Its going to be like that. I am going to ask a lot of questions, and then let them also decide who else to talk to :) That way I will probably get as much bases covered as possible :)

you missed eat static..going since 1988 playing acid house and hardcore...ozrics? astralasia? yum yum? children of the bong? gong? kris Needs?

theres loads innit.

kraftwerk?

372264[/snapback]

Yeah, Eat Static is a given. Ozric tentacles would be kind of included since Eat Static and Ozric share members... I do however not want to focus on Goa or Psy trance. I want to know where THE trance came from. One other person that I will try and get ahold of as well, is Martin Freeland, he made a lot of acid house stuff before he became Man with No Name, and would probably be very intressting to talk to :)

About Sven Vath again:

He played the longest & BEST dj-set I ever had the pleasure of dancing to in my short life so far.

That set flowed like 1 single track, starting with 2hrs of downtempo (Maurizio, Basic Channel) , picking up pace with (Hart)house, making ppl crazy with acid- & techno-classics, easing back & building tension with electro, popping in a coupple (though not a lot of) trance-tunes, before finishing us all of with banging stuff by Cari Lekebush & Adam Beyer. If I ever had a "spiritual experience" on a dancefloor, this was it...

The guy dj-ed from 8:00 AM till 20:00 PM at Tresor Park after the Love Parade in 1999. So I guess when he's done, he's kinda tired ;)

just to add that actually KLF - What Time is Love and 3 AM Eternal were part of a series called "Pure Trance"... SO the term trance DID exist back then!! (1987- 1988) I'm convinced that this isn't just a one-off thing, there surely must've been a VERY underground trance scene even back then but of which noone (except the lucky few who were actually in it) ever knew existed. But it was there, and those tracks by KLF are simply the ones that time haven't forgotten :)

anyone agree?

372343[/snapback]

Yeah and Alex Patterson would then also be a pioneer, since he used to work with the KLF :) Trance, yeah its also a deffinition of words i guess.

The definition (or one of them) of Trance is that it is A hypnotic, cataleptic, or ecstatic state of mind. Well, that is what any dictionary will tell you. Anyways, so that could mean that any music that gets you into that state, would be trance. Which for me makes sense.

Ok, that said, so Trance is a state of mind. So GOA gets me into that state, thefore, goa is trance? Yes, of course it is also trance, it just got another label to it.

Lets have a look at house. House can get me into trance, therefor house equals trance? Yes, for someone it might be classed as trance, but to clarify WHICH kind of trance he likes, he calls it house, because thats the genre.

Then yes, Trance is very broad, and I will probably have to change the project name a little bit. Pioneers of Electronic Trance (As suggested) would also not fit though, because once again, even house and drum and bass for instance would need to be included.

I think the label trance came from the kind of "house" that had extatic elements and round basslines. A lot of strokes and pads. Choirs and nice leads were also a big player in this so called "trance".

So, back to your statement, Trance did exist back then? As a term yes, as a Genre? Yes most probably. As a Genre that was back then a defined genre, yeah, was it a genre that we would classify as trance today? No, not really.

Are the KLF classed as Pioneers of trance? Of course! They had a big doing in it all. But I think that people like Sven V. B-Zet, and all the ones operating in the period of 1990-1994 gave trance its true face, and made trance what it is today.

Lets see where this leads, because at the moment, the roadmap is HUGE!

About Sven Vath again:

He played the longest & BEST dj-set I ever had the pleasure of dancing to in my short life so far. 

That set flowed like 1 single track, starting with 2hrs of downtempo (Maurizio, Basic Channel) , picking up pace with (Hart)house, making ppl crazy with acid- & techno-classics, easing back & building tension with electro, popping in a coupple (though not a lot of) trance-tunes, before finishing us all of with banging stuff by Cari Lekebush & Adam Beyer. If I ever had a "spiritual experience" on a dancefloor, this was it...

The guy dj-ed from 8:00 AM till 20:00 PM at Tresor Park after the Love Parade in 1999. So I guess when he's done, he's kinda tired ;)

372484[/snapback]

LOL :) Yeah, I have seen him dj for 14 hours once, in the Omen in Frankfurt. He loves playing long sets. Back then if you booked Sven, he would not settle for less than 6 hours or something :)

Oh, another sweet memory, Marco Zaffarano and Sven V. In copenhagen 1994? This was the afterparty of another party, where Resistance D and Kid Paul were playing :)

Dj Dash (Have to mention him again, because he was one of the best Swedish djs EVER). I must say, there has been NO BETTER dj since him. The only dj I have seen beatmixing tapes (pitchable tape recorder) and 3 records at the same time. And one of the records was a Public Enemy record pitched and on the wrong speed thrown in as "live" break beats.

Now that is what I call true spirit of djing! :) Anyways, Dj Dash was also a pioneer of trance, but noone of you would probably have heard of him hehe :)

Oh yeah, you might have heard his music, he was a part of Germinator on Psy Harmonics and Drop & Dash on High Society :) however, not the kind of music that He produced on his own. His own music just as Dash was more Acid and more trance. Drop and Dash was more "Psy" but not really my cup of tea :)

if he plays techno then nowadays he's a resident @ Tresor (www.tresorberlin.de) .

OR somebody copied his name :P

372508[/snapback]

Yes indeed he plays techno and electro nowadays. He also runs Cocoon :)

I think its time to mention a this "talla 2xlc" dude from "suck me plasma", "technoclub /dorian grey" he has been around for ages, and also a band called Konzept... nice early techno / trance stuff. I also think Aphex twin / polygon window / ... deserves some cred and not to forget... "the Shamen".

And maybe bands like Kraftwerk, Front242, D.A.F , Nitzer ebb, Frontline assembly, the klinik, Skinny puppy, eventhough they are more EMB than trance/techno.

There are also a lot of people from the Acidhouse scene that had a quite big impact on the scene: Phuture (acid trax), a guy called gerald, 808 state, Guru josh, ... not trance but i guess there would not be a trance scene as we know it without them...

I think its time to mention a this "talla 2xlc" dude from "suck me plasma", "technoclub /dorian grey"  he has been around for ages,  and also a band called Konzept...  nice early techno / trance stuff. I also think Aphex twin / polygon window / ...  deserves some cred and not to forget... "the Shamen".

And maybe bands like Kraftwerk, Front242, D.A.F , Nitzer ebb, Frontline assembly, the klinik, Skinny puppy,  eventhough they are more EMB than trance/techno.

There are also a lot of people from the Acidhouse scene that had a quite big impact on the scene: Phuture (acid trax), a guy called gerald, 808 state, Guru josh, ...  not trance but i guess there would not be a trance scene as we know it without them...

373011[/snapback]

You are of course right, but I WONT interview talla, he stole 2 records of mine that were irreplaceable! :) (Kind of true, he took them from another DJ, that borrowed them from me haha).

Anyways, yeah those people deserve some credit too. Im working on a layout for the page, and also a system where you can add thoughts and suggestions :)

There will also be a list over people being interviewed and that can be "edited" :)

I can't give you anymore names but maybe a new idea for the homepage: what about a little "diary" where you can put your new plans, how's it going with the interviews, some short reports and sequences from the interview, who's next and of course some pics? To keep the people drooling and stuff... And a section with old flyers maybe? A lot of people love old flyer art.

I can't give you anymore names but maybe a new idea for the homepage: what about a little "diary" where you can put your new plans, how's it going with the interviews, some short reports and sequences from the interview, who's next and of course some pics? To keep the people drooling and stuff... And a section with old flyers maybe? A lot of people love old flyer art.

373191[/snapback]

Very good idea indeed, like a blog section for each Author. *takes mental note, and thinks tatsu should be the swizz correspondant*