Pioneers of Trance.

Ok, so I read Lemmis thread about the new CD from Dj Dag, and that kind of triggered me to startup a little project called "The Pioneers of Trance"

What I am going to do, is to try to get as much information as possible about the artists that started it all, and where it all started.

My first attempt to get information is to get in touch with Sven Vaeth (already on the rolling) and then ask questions to him.

What questions would you think are vital to ask?

Remember, I dont want a conventional interview with the artists, I want their view on trance and where it all started.

If anyone wants to Participate in the project, or if you have contributions to the history of trance and its pioneers, please PM me :)

Artists that I will try to get in touch with includes:

Sven Vaeth

Hardfloor

Resistance D

Pete Namlook

Oliver Lieb

etc etc.

Well, suggestions, contributions, anything is welcome really. All of it will be presented later on, on a webpage near you :)

Oh, and this is a long time project, nothing that will happen over night..... :)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sven Vath was (maybe still is) brilliant. Back in 1994/1995 someone gave me a casette tape of his 'Universe' live set and it was the first trance music I'd ever heard. It really touched me and I felt compelled to buy his Accident in Paradise album followed by the Beauty and the Beast CD which were both brilliant and still sound fresh today. His third album was a bit disappointing (it was dub if I remember) but by that stage I was into Hallucinogen, Space Tribe, Doof, Total Eclipse etc. so didn't really mind. Happy memories.

I just can come up with the usual stuff:

How did you get into electronical music and especially trance?

What are your experiences with drugs or your opinion about them?

Do you still listen to the old sound or have you grown out of it?

Top 5 or 10 of old tracks?

What is your favourite style nowadays?

Do you listen to other genres (non-electronic for example)?

Is it still fun for you to produce music and DJ?

The real roots of trance are inside of New Beat! No doubt about it for me! No Sven Väth, guys like Maurice Engelen indeed (now Praga Khan), that are the real pioneers imo, also don't forget U96... Da's Boot is already trancy like hell (and i'm not sure if people like 2 Unlimited or Capella or Snap will get a place in that hall of fame for brining it to a wider public?)

U96 (Alex Christensen) has his place for shure, but then I think you should also add the guys from the Shamen (just to let me know what they are up to nowadays), Marusha and Westbam! :)

i think Goa Trance and the old 'German' Trance had different histories but coming together at the same time...

goa trance from the ebm/new beat/industrial sound etc...

german trance from more euro synth pop/dance sound...of course they do cross over and were a lot more closer together once upon a time...

sven vath started his musical career in some pop/dance outfit, i cant remember the name and he used to be a cainer...these days i think perhaps he is a lot tamer.

:)

good luck with your project tek always nice to hear some history.

Ian Ion + Fred Disko would be a good persons to add to the list aswell.

Ok, so I read Lemmis thread about the new CD from Dj Dag, and that kind of triggered me to startup a little project called "The Pioneers of Trance"

What I am going to do, is to try to get as much information as possible about the artists that started it all, and where it all started.

My first attempt to get information is to get in touch with Sven Vaeth (already on the rolling) and then ask questions to him.

What questions would you think are vital to ask?

Remember, I dont want a conventional interview with the artists, I want their view on trance and where it all started.

If anyone wants to Participate in the project, or if you have contributions to the history of trance and its pioneers, please PM me :)

Artists that I will try to get in touch with includes:

Sven Vaeth

Hardfloor

Resistance D

Pete Namlook

Oliver Lieb

etc etc.

Well, suggestions, contributions, anything is welcome really. All of it will be presented later on, on a webpage near you :)

Oh, and this is a long time project, nothing that will happen over night..... :)

371282[/snapback]

Judging by those names I can tell you like old EyeQ/Harthouse :)

For me however this label was the second generation of trance and these guys, although very influential (and good) helped put Trance on a global map and helped it gain it's popularity.

This leaves us with the question who are those original pioneers and that is hard to answer because back then it was all called "Techno".

For example Speedy J could have been labelled as a Trance artist back then, but he was so ahead of his time that he was a genre on his own, same goes for some Orbital, Dance 2 Trance,Moby, Resistance D. songs...

I'm not sure I'd put Hardfloor on the list. I'd rather put them under Acid then Trance umbrella.. I'd also add Cosmic Baby, X-Dream, and Blue Planet Corp. to your list..

Good luck with your project.

I think Mark Spoon & Jam el Mar should be on your list. Drummond/Cauty (KLF) and Hammond/Hall (Drum Club) for an english point of view. Maby Maurice Engelen & Olivier Adams (lords of acid).

And i think you should ask them what they listened to back in the early 90s, what inspierd them, what they think about other artists from that era and so on...

Hmm i have to eat now but i might have some more ideas later if you think im on the right track here.  :)

371337[/snapback]

Yeah cool man! Great, this is what I am looking for! :)

I just can come up with the usual stuff:

How did you get into electronical music and especially trance?

What are your experiences with drugs or your opinion about them?

Do you still listen to the old sound or have you grown out of it?

Top 5 or 10 of old tracks?

What is your favourite style nowadays?

Do you listen to other genres (non-electronic for example)?

Is it still fun for you to produce music and DJ?

371325[/snapback]

Yeah, and I have a list of questions. The more questions, the better of course. Some questions can be merged as well :)

hey man, making a site on the origins of trance has been my project for a loooong time!!

I guess that the no. 1 question to ask would be the obvious:

If you were to name ONE track that started it all, what would it be?

And it can't be one of his own creations cause then everyone would just promote their stuff. PS off-topic but doesn't it piss the hell out of you to see a DJ's "Top 5" tracks of the moment where at least 3 are stuff made by themselves? God I hate it when that happens...

I'd also include these people in the list:

Avi and Lior from Astral (former SFX... let's not forget that these guys were making stuff in 89)

Har-El Prusky

Ollie Olsen

Although not trance, I'd ask KLF about it too cause these guys were making "trance" in 1987! I'd definatley want to know where their inspiration came from at the time...

Well,

Psy Trance spawned from somewhere thats for sure. I mean, people like FSOL, Eat Static and so on, were around long before someone even knew "GOA" as a genre.

Im more intressted in the Trance that came at the time of 1990-1994 no later than that. For ME that was the period when it all started with Trance. Of course, you can say that Hardfloor is an acid act, but they sure had something to do with the acid trance that came out later, dont you agree?

Of course, Speedy J is a major player, and so are Jam&Spoon! Another major player would be LDC (Torsten Fenslau, bless his soul!!!), he put together acts like Culture Beat etc etc :)

So, thats the angle that I want to take....

Of course, I also have to start somewhere, and I think that Sven will be a good "reference" since hes been around since 1983 as a DJ.

I also want to work on a "Family Tree" that kind of shows where the diffrent artists went after their trance era....

Like for instance: Gabriel le Mar and Kohlbecker > Aural Float > Saafi Brothers > Montauk P

There is a twist for you, going from Harthouse to Blue Room :) Another act that took the exact same turn is KoxBox... Now, what do they have incommon, why did it go to BlueRoom, how.... THOSE are the intressting and juicy bits :)

If you were to name ONE track that started it all, what would it be?

371357[/snapback]

Mind reader?! I actually already had that question included :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and KLF is already on the list! :)

oh yeah and of course we're talking about stuff before 94... the thing is that once you go too far back people will be like "yeah but this isn't trance, it's new beat" (or some other genre). For me 2 tracks represented THE beginning of trance:

KLF - What Time is Love (original was made in 1987)

A Split Second - Flesh (original from 1986)

But my main problem when telling people that was that they'd reply "but that's not trance". Well it represents the beginning of trance to me, and both tracks are definatley VERY different from other tracks released in the same period.

Anyway, my point being that there are probably tons of other stuff in the likes as well but they just became burried in the passage of time.

ah well that's the problem... when do you draw the line between "another genre that had elements that later became trance" and actual trance? Anyway, for me like I said, the distinctive issue is simply that those 2 tracks don't sound like ANYTHING else released at the same period... they don't even sound like anything else released by the groups themselves! It's like some sort of "cosmic wave" taking over the studio during the creation process :)

But I guess people like Sven Väth will know better about these things ;)

PS

Or that Front 242 also contributed to the trance scene?

I happen to know that Juno Reactor was highly influenced by Front 242 :)

And let's not forget the psytrance tribute to A Killing Joke (Wardance - The Remixes) obviously showing where some of the psytrance godfathers got their inspiration :)

ah well that's the problem... when do you draw the line between "another genre that had elements that later became trance" and actual trance? Anyway, for me like I said, the distinctive issue is simply that those 2 tracks don't sound like ANYTHING else released at the same period... they don't even sound like anything else released by the groups themselves! It's like some sort of "cosmic wave" taking over the studio during the creation process :)

But I guess people like Sven Väth will know better about these things ;)

PS

I happen to know that Juno Reactor was highly influenced by Front 242  :)

And let's not forget the psytrance tribute to A Killing Joke (Wardance - The Remixes) obviously showing where some of the psytrance godfathers got their inspiration :)

371395[/snapback]

Thats exactly why I want to talk to him first :)

Couldnt you then also say that New Order - Blue Monday is a trance track? :

371389[/snapback]

hehe yeah thats a very trancey track indeed :)

I like it.. cool for making funny stupid dances haha

and its PERFECT remix material :D