DJ Dag - 20 Years Of DJ Madness

Lemmiwinks

just randomly browsing on discogs to keep up with some classics and I stumble on this:

DJ Dag - 20 Years Of DJ Madness

"In June 2005 DJ Dag celebrates his 20th DJ anniversary. For this reason he mixed 2 CD´s with classic tracks, which were played during his career."

oh baby this must be good... for the record, Dance 2 Trance (one of his projects) - We Came in Peace was considered as one of THE first trance tracks ever :) I wonder what gems are in there...

The tracklist surely looks great, lots of classics in there. DJ Dag is one of the pioneers of trance as a member of Dance 2 Trance and as a DJ. The set he played with Sven Väth at Clubnight Hessentag Lich on 17.07.1993 is a memorable one, and this cd looks like it contains many of the same gems.

Looks nice, I've putted it on my wantlist so I might stumple over it by chance. But why is the music style marked as synth-pop and new beat? From the tracks I know (not that may btw) it looks more like trance to me.

Never heard that explanation before but sounds logical. For me stuff like Dance2Trance is early trance (or remember trance) and synthpop is something like Kraftwerk. Anyway, I wonder what I think about the indication of the styles when I actually hear some of the tracks.

Frankfurt ROCKS! Dj Dag is one of the best djs I have ever heard playing. I will most deffinetly get this CD :)

I can remember him playing in the Dorian Grey and The Omen...

This is where trance started, Frankfurt! :)

Never heard that explanation before but sounds logical. For me stuff like Dance2Trance is early trance (or remember trance) and synthpop is something like Kraftwerk. Anyway, I wonder what I think about the indication of the styles when I actually hear some of the tracks.

370524[/snapback]

well to see what came from where you can always visit Ishkur's music guide :)

Well some would say that Ghent and Antwerp played a significant role as well :)

370724[/snapback]

Dont know anything about that, be more specific. What labels or artists?

For Frankfurt it was:

Sven Vaeth (Pioneer of trance for his EyeQ/Harthouse/Recycle or Die, 1990/92)

Pete Namlook/Peter Kuhlmann (Pioneers of Ambient and Trance and well known for their FAX records)

Jens Maspfuhl (Founder of super trance label Frankfurt beat, 1992-1993), Frankfurt Beat was however founded in Roedermark, which is on the outskirts of Frankfurt. Roedermark was later to be know for one of the "best" trance clubs in Germany (Paramount Park) (well, I do not entirely agree with that)

For me the main Trance clubs in Germany were: The Omen and the Dorian Grey.

We all know what artists were to be found on those labels, and there are a lot more labels that came to be from the capital of Trance... :)

For the belgian scene from back then, I remember no labels, but that might be my ignorance though...

Tell me more about the history of Belgian trance, I am eager to learn... :)

Of course this is only MY opinion that trance was born and raised in Frankfurt, because I was there back then, and didnt see much of happenings around except there.

For instance, it is also in my opinion that the PSY/GOA scene was started in south of Sweden and Denmark (Helsingborg/Malmo/Copenhagen) in Scandinavia. Stockholm and the other cities came MUCH later hehehehehe :)

Nemo - you rule! I love when you old guys open the vaults and share your knowledge... Thanks for an interesting read! ;o)

For the belgian scene from back then, I remember no labels, but that might be my ignorance though...

Tell me more about the history of Belgian trance, I am eager to lear

371087[/snapback]

Nova Zembla maybe?

/DP

Dont know anything about that, be more specific. What labels or artists?

Antwerp = home of Nova Zembla records which was THE record label where early "serious" trance was released (don't get me wrong, I have much respect for German trance lables as well, but somehow those have always been on the more commercial side of things... with some exceptions of course :)

Gent= home of R&S Records, again a LOT of early techno classics were released there.

BUT Belgium was especially known as the capital of industrial/ new beat which is the main genre from which trance "morphed" later on. Which is probably why you can find most very early trance stuff on Belgian record lables. The next logical step would've been for Belgium to be the world capital of trance... but that never happened... I really don't understand why it never picked up from the "post-industrial-pre-trance" period :blink:

Antwerp = home of Nova Zembla records which was THE record label where early "serious" trance was released (don't get me wrong, I have much respect for German trance lables as well, but somehow those have always been on the more commercial side of things... with some exceptions of course :)

Gent= home of R&S Records, again a LOT of early techno classics were released there.

BUT Belgium was especially known as the capital of industrial/ new beat which is the main genre from which trance "morphed" later on. Which is probably why you can find most very early trance stuff on Belgian record lables. The next logical step would've been for Belgium to be the world capital of trance... but that never happened...  I really don't understand why it never picked up from the "post-industrial-pre-trance" period  :blink:

371151[/snapback]

Oh yeah, R&S, How can I forget. Major acts like The Source Experience (Robert Leiner, who also was the Technical sound Engineer at R&S for many many years).

I have a LOT of R&S records. There were some nice trance anthems amongst them, but not by far as many as on HH/Eye-Q/FAX etc.

Remember 4 Voice on FAX?

Now, of course we have MFS as well, good Berlin label with Acts like Kid Paul, Cosmic Baby etc etc, but guess where they all played their most Live/Dj acts? You guessed it right: Frankfurt :)

Ive seen cosmic baby 3 times in Frankfurt hehe :) And I cant even count the times Ive seen Resistance D and Kid Paul hehe :)

Anyways, define Commercial please :) I do not follow what you mean :)

I am going to take a doctor in History of trance, I think, because its a very intressting story :)

commercial: stuff like Sven Väth - L'Esperanza; Energy 52 - Café Del Mar

un-commercial: stuff like Exposure To Little Electronic Noises - Precaution; Greyhouse - New Beats the House (mind you this was made in 1989!)

371296[/snapback]

I wouldnt call those tracks commercial to be honest, they are milestones in trance for me. The tracks that maybe triggered Commercial trance in 1996-1997, but far from commercial back then....

The tracks that maybe triggered Commercial trance in 1996-1997

yep that's what I was thinking... for me the "Eye Q sound" ended up trigerring all the eurotrance wave whereas stuff released by Nova Zembla ended up being psytrance... of course, this is greatly simplified and would be forgeting the contribution of Israeli and Australian lables to the scene but anyway :P

and yes, the most commercial track released in the eary 90s is 100 times more underground than the kiddy shit being made today...

yep that's what I was thinking... for me the "Eye Q sound" ended up trigerring all the eurotrance wave whereas stuff released by Nova Zembla ended up being psytrance... of course, this is greatly simplified and would be forgeting the contribution of Israeli and Australian lables to the scene but anyway  :P

and yes, the most commercial track released in the eary 90s is 100 times more underground than the kiddy shit being made today...

371313[/snapback]

Exactly. :)