Derango – TuMuLT

DeathPosture

Here is my first experience with Derango. First of all, WHAT THE HELL IS FOREST TRANCE??? I was all happy to get an album with "forest trance" and expected something wierd with night owls hooting while trolls are singing in the background and the bassline sampled from the sound of raindeers making love. Instead I just got another dark trance album... Sure, there are some very unique sounds on this that won't be heard anywhere else. But from that to label this as a whole different genre? come on... I mean, artists like Penta and Xenomorph also do dark trance with very unique sounds, yet it's still called "dark trance". Anyway, on to the album itself:

I like this a LOT, there are indeed some very intense moments. My fave track is no. 6 The Poisonous Square which is like THE perfect dark trance track. The dynamics (which are already pretty intense all throughout the track) pick up even more around 6:30 and make out one of THE most intense moments of a track I've ever heard!! Second in line comes Lost Theory starting around 5:40. It's like the adrenalin rush overcomes you.

BUT there are also downsides to this album: my main issue is that there aren't enough melodies!!! There are some absolutley killer melodies that only last like 20 seconds and then dissapear never to be picked up again! That's such a shame! I'm talking about stuff like the melody starting at 1:55 in track 1 and which lasts only until 2:20 (yes, that's 25 seconds in total out of a almost 9 minute-long track...).

Also my next main issue is that, although I like this album and find it pretty intense, it simply didn't grab me by the balls the same way other dark trance albums did in 2005 like Ocelot, Para Halu and Penta... Well I guess the competition was pretty fierce that year (writing this review in 2006). So this gets a 8,5/10 from me :)

fave tracks: 4, 6 (!!!), 7 (!!)

PS about the basslines: it's all about the drugs man. Basslines in the kbbb kbbb kbbb formula are VERY drug-friendly, they just "push" your high up and up as your bones rattle contiuously... why do you think just about every psytrance track being produced our days has that bassline anyway? lol And of course if you want to even begin to enjoy those basslines you need a sub turned very LOUD. Then it all starts making sense ;) But indeed I'd go for a little more change in the basslines as well (Ocelot style)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this a LOT, there are indeed some very intense moments. My fave track is no. 6 The Poisonous Square which is like THE perfect dark trance track.

448154[/snapback]

i dont agree.its a great track,for sure it is,but it isnt THE perfect dark trance track ;)

IMO

My fave track is no. 6 The Poisonous Square which is like THE perfect dark trance track.

Yes. My favorite track is The Poisonous Square also, and I agree that it's a great song and for me, (and some others as well) the best song on the album! I wish there was more variety in the songs. Some sound similar, a beat and bassline with tons of squeeky and psy-sounds all over the place. :huh:

BUT there are also downsides to this album: my main issue is that there aren't enough melodies!!! There are some absolutley killer melodies that only last like 20 seconds and then dissapear never to be picked up again! That's such a shame!

Wow, that's my problem too! I said something similar in my first post on page 1 of this thread. In Poisonous Square, for example... there is a KILLER, and/or *wicked* melody that comes ripping through the song about 2:29 minutes or so into it... (everyone here knows what I'm talking about) ... only to last no more than 30 seconds, if that! ... Sure the song remains good (from great in my opinion, where it was) ... but I waited in excitement for that super melody to return. It was so catchy and yet too short, unless they somehow incorporated it into the song again before the track ended...and it doesn't return, not even once and for me that MELODY was both GREAT and the best part of the song, and that song is the BEST one on the album IMHO. It stood out in an album filled with an enormous amount of psychelelic sounds. I like the album, but I get tired or overwhelmed after a while without some kickass melodies and dynamics to give the songs more songs. There are so few melodies (super melodies) on the album... and Derango is great making them. It would have been nice had they let the few great melodies appear again, and I would love if they put more focus on their kickass melodies in their next album.

Killer melody ? which minute ?

At first I thought this was meant to be funny, like what melody? There are actually melodies on this album?!?! :P:D But then I realized you were serious.

Alright well, sayiing "KILLER" is easily arguable. With a great sterio system, and the volume turned way up, IMO I find the melody exactly 2:29 into track 6 great! Sometimes on this album after the first several tracks, I need a melody that stands out or my attention starts to drop, and I'm not talking about the occasional melodic bits that are altered, echoed, and mixed in here and there. I mean a well crafted, catchy melody. Hearing the first 5 tracks with no real, stand out, catchy melody, I felt the one in track 6 was both refreshing and a relief. I was like, FINALLY!!! It stood out from almost everything else and I wish there was more of that.

I also like the melody 3:50 into All Channels Open, but it lasts too short. When I hear an album with so few melodies, the few musical part tend to stand out more...and maybe even sound better than they actually are because ppl who love melodies are greatful when they finally hear some.

Sorry to disappoint you .. :( I mean it really, no melodies found .. At least Imo; or definitely not worth any attention. All this mixture of squeeks and blinks .. /roughly said/

If this was one of my favs for 2005, then I am the Pope.

Sorry to disappoint you ..  :( I mean it really, no melodies found .. At least Imo; or definitely not worth any attention. All this mixture of squeeks and blinks .. /roughly said/

449637[/snapback]

DIFINE MELODY :lol:

maybe it doesnt sound like a normal humanoid melody really, its sounds like weird elfs making music in a dark magical forest, well twisted elfs, but eh that doesnt mean that it's not a melody dude! :)

But u dont have to like this cd man... thats is up too your taste buds! :P

I have to say that some of the best melodies I have heard in psytrance are found here... Especially the end of Made out of Vapour (7.00) and The Poisonous Square (7.40). Some really cool melodies in track 4, 5 and 9 as well!

Plus - the atmosphere (with the high tempo in consideration) is unbeatable! :)

Sorry to disappoint you ..  :( I mean it really, no melodies found .. At least Imo; or definitely not worth any attention. All this mixture of squeeks and blinks .. /roughly said/

449637[/snapback]

your eminence please hurry, you're late for mass...

This is Skelly's two cents taken from discogs. Well, awaiting approval there ... :angry: fuck them muthafucks

In the words of Armand van Helden bluntly remarking about Basement Jaxx that "they took house music and fucked it in the ass" so one may say about Derango: They took X-Dream's Irritant at its darkest hour and fucked it in the ass! Sweet love of Jesus, this is some twisted psytrance from the Swedish forests and I will admit it took me a while to get under my, well, bones. But rehearing X-Dream's Irritant gave me an idea how to approach this album.

This is dark, as in PITCH DARK, psy. No melodies, no calming breaks, no themes. Just a monotone bass most of the time staying on one note (!) with a shitload of FX and weird sounds. What saves it is the impeccable production, the energy, and the incredible amount of ideas Derango's managed to cramp into the tracks. The genre may be challenging, but if you give it a chance you won't be able to claim nothing's happening! This is one long string of musical ideas on top of an endless deep bass journey.

So, if you want it DARK this is as dark as it got in 2005. If you are not familiar with this type of trance, you are headed for a big challenge. Hell, you may very well even consider trashing this album as the worst piece of crap you've ever purchased. Don't do that! It takes time to let in, but if you work hard enough the rewards will be there. After all, this album didn't receive tons of rave reviews elsewhere on the internet for nothing. And even if I myself may not have reached Nirvana quite yet with Derango, the general idea of forest trance sure is starting to get to my bones :o).

hehe you haven't heard a lot of dark psy lately, have you? X-Dream's Irritant is tech trance, this is dark psy. Alhtough it's true that both sub genres have a common origin (I think it was The Delta who practically invented this whole droning bassline thing?), the styles are VERY different today. I'd definatley compare this more to stuff like Parasense and the likes :)

Alright well, sayiing "KILLER" is easily arguable. With a great sterio system, and the volume turned way up, IMO I find the melody exactly 2:29 into track 6 great!

448882[/snapback]

I have to agree with Deepdrone, you call this a melody? This is not a melody.

By the way, this track is impressive indeed, but if you want melodies look elsewhere.

hehe you haven't heard a lot of dark psy lately, have you? X-Dream's Irritant is tech trance, this is dark psy. Alhtough it's true that both sub genres have a common origin (I think it was The Delta who practically invented this whole droning bassline thing?), the styles are VERY different today. I'd definatley compare this more to stuff like Parasense and the likes :)

451697[/snapback]

I didn't mean that they sounded the same. Just that I didn't know what to make of Tumult. Well, I didn't really like it but knew I had to give it chances, since so many people has acclaimed it. And it was nominated, what, no 3 best album of 2005. Not that that matters, but it means many dedicated psy trancers like it. And I couldn't figure out how to like !

Then coincidentally I heard all of Irritant and it made me wanna hear Derango. It felt like a natural next, dark step. Is all. Derango just felt like Irritant fucked in the ass.

Though you are right too. I don't know much about dark psy and I prefer it more melodic. Actually progressive is more me.

Anyway. 'preciate the feedback ;)

I have to agree on one thing - it takes some time to appreciate this!

I have to admit that I, the Derango fan I am, was a bit disappointed after my second listen or so. However, it's all about getting past those top layers... it takes time before it all falls in place - but it's worth it! Listen close and maybe some of you will notice melodies you never thought were there - like I did :P

I have to agree on one thing - it takes some time to appreciate this!

I have to admit that I, the Derango fan I am, was a bit disappointed after my second listen or so. However, it's all about getting past those top layers... it takes time before it all falls in place - but it's worth it! Listen close and maybe some of you will notice melodies you never thought were there - like I did :P

452304[/snapback]

Have to agree with that too, I am currently trying to do the same to some of my friends (making them appreciate it) that have'nt heard Derango's music before... It's all about the layers ;) hehe

• 1 month later...

hey guys , people down here really respect swedish project at all . . . . stone age records rocks .. . . . i know that derangos tumult album relesead on inpsyde media. ..

top album !

• 2 months later...

hehe .. what can i say that hasnt been said already !!! ;)

i have been really enjoying this release since the time i got my hands on itt . i was expecting a nice forest ambience , riddled fx's and a nice hypnotic bassline .. and that's what ittt was .. this pushes the boundaries of 'forest ' dark psy trance five notches further ... cant think of a dull moment on this album .. actualyy!! even if i play this when i'm having my morning cofeee :P

definately still digging this one !

favourites - all

highlights - the poisonous square after 5:12

Cant wait for their new material

B)

highlights - the poisonous square after 5:12

561433[/snapback]

eh, and not after 3:32 :P ?!

I agree, I just can't get bored with this one, it's their best material B) Hopefully there's a new album coming this year :)

561438[/snapback]

let us hope that its not full of fillers :rolleyes:

eh, and not after 3:32 :P ?!

yeah thats where the main part begins but the last bit of the track from 5:18 *to be precise* onwards is where it just totally morphs into something else .. best derango track till date !

:)