Derango – TuMuLT

DeathPosture

:ph34r::o :o :ph34r:

I listened to the album three times as a whole now.

The first time was like: So that was what all this hype is about? The tracks sound all the same! I'm a little disappointed because I expected something more groovy.

The second time was like: Hell yeah, this is muuuch better than I thought at first. Sooo many different Hi quality FX, great arrangement, this is one of the most complex Psy releases I have ever heard, definately. Feels like this is growing and growing on me...

Third time (a lonely, silent night, stoned, listening to this on headphones...): OMGWTFBBQ??!? ... holy fucking mother! PWNED BY DERANGO!

This album is one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had. The best Dark Psy album since Xenomorph - Qlippoth I'd say.

The sound design and mastering are absolutely perfect and I cant imagine anything about it that could improve the sound. I cant even imagine how much work must be behind each of the tunes.

The most complex Psy release ever, without doubt. The complexity of this one is almost infinite, it is almost impossible to memorize a track, although each one takes me on a journey. No easy listening stuff at all. In a way it reminds me of Progressive Metal because of its unpredictability. Still it is the purest quintessence of Psy musically. Try to find anything more psychadelic than this one :P

All of the tunes are little masterpieces, but #6: The poisonous Square even stands out from the rest.

Especially home listeners who like to dig deep into the darkest and most psychedelic spheres should put a big "DERANGO" in their books!

10/10 from me.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:ph34r::o :o :ph34r:

Third time (a lonely, silent night, stoned, listening to this on headphones...): OMGWTFBBQ??!? ... holy fucking mother! PWNED BY DERANGO!

10/10 from me.

371404[/snapback]

:lol:

you weren't the only who felt that way ;)B)

DangerouslyDerangedDetrimentallyDeliciousDivinelyDefiningDimensionsDistinctly

Wow andfuck! And wow and fuck again!!

All positive praise for this is utterly warranted! All expressions of unique complexity and forest influences are spot on. A ripper album, probably my fave for the year, definatley an all time great piece of work.

So rich and lush, so stomping, so wonderfully shroomy!!

Supreme forest madness.

An oasis of green forest brimming with shrooms, in a desert of bland releases.

Brilliant.

for me this is the best album of the year.

it is worth hearing with headphones on!

how often can you say that for psytrance these days??

I never enjoyed Derango before, i always thought it is random sounds, over a boring beat. I waited for the day when they moved to the next plateau... now they are there!

With this album it became melodic and complex.

Kudos guys!!

Can you tell us what you use to produce??

I imagine Reaktor is in the toolbox.

B)

for me this is the best album of the year.

it is worth hearing with headphones on!

how often can you say that for psytrance these days??

I never enjoyed Derango before, i always thought it is random sounds, over a boring beat.  I waited for the day when they moved to the next plateau... now they are there!

With this album it became melodic and complex.

Kudos guys!!

Can you tell us what you use to produce??

I imagine Reaktor is in the toolbox.

B)

371698[/snapback]

they... ahh.. *cough* shameless propaganda *cough* mention something about that here

Negative: I think the basslines are totally unimaginative.. like in most psytrance tracks today. I can see that this kind of music is needed and wanted but 9 tracks based on scratchy effects is imo overkill (and boring). More groove to basslines and few tracks with melodies would make this kind of album a lot more listenable (variation!).

Positive: Some interesting drum/percussion thingies here and there. Sounds a bit different than typical psytrance realease these days.

5,5 / 10

I think the basslines are totally unimaginative.. like in most psytrance tracks today

Some interesting drum/percussion thingies here and there. Sounds a bit different than typical psytrance realease these days.

5,5 / 10

371937[/snapback]

Lets focus on those two.

What kind of bass would you like to listen?

Progressive bass,Techno bass?I guess there are standards and limits in this style,am i wrong?

And something else.99% of the people that will listen to this album will not comment on the bassline for sure.There are lots of things to be discovered in their music,although IMO their bassline is not the usual/overused one."More groove to basslines".Give an example....

Lets focus on those two.

What kind of bass would you like to listen?

Not the same simple 'du-du-du-du..' with same note that goes throughout the album. Basslines can be groovy, stretchy, elastic, growling, bouncy etc.. and yes sometimes straight like in this case. Also.. there are 7 different notes per scale... why only use one of them? It would be easy, especially in music like this, to use more because there are not meny melodies around. And Filters.. use them a bit on basslines too.. record the tweaks by hands! And finally... bass can have reverb too... it sounds so boring when it seem as if your speaker is producing the bassline... I like it when it sounds as if it was recorded in some room/other similar space (just cut the low mud away from the reverb).

Progressive bass,Techno bass?

I don't categorise basslines like that...

I guess there are standards and limits in this style,am i wrong?

IMO there are no rules for basslines in psytrance.

And something else.99% of the people that will listen to this album will not comment on the bassline for sure.

So? Should I not voice my opinion because of those 99%?

"More groove to basslines".Give an example....

371963[/snapback]

Beast - Spawn

Double Dragon - W.O.R.M.

Deviant Electronics - Vesuvius

Orichalcum & The Deviant - Mururor My Love (10 Million Dead Fish mix)

Orichalcum & The Deviant - S.T.C.

Process - Terrorist

Process - Psychobabble

Process - Mono Klang

Process - Maharishi

Process - Blue Moonies

T.I.P. - Hyperactive (Acid Rockers remix)

T.I.P. - Stimuli

T.I.P. - Uforica

Psychopod - Universal Mind

Jaia - Brainstorm

Process and Slide - Creepy Crawly

Hallucinogen - pretty much all of his tracks has unique bassline

Juno Reactor - pretty much all of their tracks has unique bassline

Koxbox - pretty much all of their tracks has unique bassline

Just a few... :rolleyes:

:)

Joke? :P

Are you saying the basslines in for example Lost Theory and the first half of All Channels Open aren't bouncy, or that they only use one note? Same goes for the bassline in for example the start of The Poisonous Square or in parts of Fnatt... and I have never ever heard anything like the bass in the end of the last song. And Derango always use many different basslines per song, adding a good deal of variation. Sure, many times it's only one note - because it fits very well for this kind of music (I mean a lot of darkpsy uses the same one note pattern throughout whole songs, and that works), but you can't say that their basslines are always the same, nor boring imo ;)

Joke? :P

No.. just my honest opinion. :ph34r:

Are you saying the basslines in for example Lost Theory...

Yes this have groove but it doesn't mean I instantly like it... the rhythm is just not working for me and the actual sound of the bass is really lame/boring.

and the first half of All Channels Open aren't bouncy, or that they only use one note?

?? The first half of this track has got nothing but constant boring buzz between kicks... though there comes different note every now and then it's way too sparce to form any kind of groove.

Same goes for the bassline in for example the start of The Poisonous Square

To me it sounds pretty typical psy bassline.... i.e. one 8th note between kicks.. and occassionally two 16th notes... the note changes sounds a bit disjointed IMO.

or in parts of Fnatt...

Yeah this one has changes... it starts with the typical du-du-du between kicks and then some point suddenly changes to triplets (i.e. two notes evenly between kicks)... then back to quadruplets with new groove... and soon yet another groove... and finally back to the first boring du-du-du. I think now there were maybe too meny changes... the plot doesn't hold together... imo a track needs one or two good bassline groove/rhythm (but notes can change.. and little 'licks' & brakes here and there).

and I have never ever heard anything like the bass in the end of the last song.

IMO the note changes at the end of this track sounds a little weird... unmusical or something.

Sure, many times it's only one note - because it fits very well for this kind of music (I mean a lot of darkpsy uses the same one note pattern throughout whole songs, and that works),

I just don't like it usually. But I believe you can make it so that even a simple pattern sounds good (some filter action and reverb.. maybe little delay fx.. or some other fx.. eq.. pumpping/breathing compression... etc etc..).

but you can't say that their basslines are always the same, nor boring imo  ;)

372228[/snapback]

Well... I can say their basslines are not working for me at all. And the sound of their bass is constant unchanging dull dry buzz. :ph34r:

Just killar album,

smashing cruchy sounds that really blows the senses! But yeah u need to be prepered! I can imagine that for some people its just too intense! But I like it! :ph34r: Its just brilliant that not all people has to like the same kind of music :D

Many weird and groovy basslines are hidding in this forest marvel dispite some people might not hear it! ;) Yeah a few of the tracks has a quite monotonous bassline, but the multilayer of weird and twisted sound makes up for that a thounsand times!

I really like "confusion is next" just brilliant sample in the biginning!

Peace

the derango album is made in a certain style - basslines are mostly the same throughout the album, and so are the sounds. still it's very complex, took me at least 10 listens to start figuring it out.. very powerful music, very psychedelic. but there is something in it that turns me off - a lack of emotion perhaps, or of humor.. I can appreciate the power of the music, but have trouble 'feeling' it. It doesn't send shivers down my spine the way Zik or Penta, or even some older Derango tracks do.

While I will certainly be playing this album out at parties for some time to come - and making everyone dance and gasp and scream - I doubt I'll be listening to it at home very often. And I believe it's the 'listen at home' test, which, in the end, is what truly determines the greatness and longevity of a piece of music.

we educate itself. Derango rulez! power & pure.. Congratulations again Ola & Jens you deserve! one of the best album for this year.

i wish never finish..

om shanti

boOm

lOve ~ harmony ~ balance ~ peace ~ unity ~ respect

Exactly what I was expected! Intense,chaotic,insane,forest psychedelia.

Before you bash this album think three things:

1)If you only like melodic or less hard tracks you'll never gonna like Tumult. So, telling that Tumult is bad just because you dislike their style is kinda wrong IMO.

2)You have to listen to this album under the right circumstances. Listening Tumult in a morning while drinking your coffee is not the best way to understand this kind of music. Go for a walk in a forest at midnight time and you'll realise why Derango is such a hell of a group.

3)Give yourself time to understand this album. Even myself, a great Derango fan didn't blown away the first time I listened to it. Although I hate this phrase I'm gonna say it ''Let it grow in you''.

So, Tumult is the best dark album of 2005 the second best album after Shift's Excession and super-psychedelic music. Best tracks are 2,3,7,8,9 but the rest are great too (only Deranged is less intense for a Derango track).

9/10 cause I wanted more melodic lines like the ones in Sluggy or No Thing.

AMAZING!!!!!

1)If you only like melodic or less hard tracks you'll never gonna like Tumult. So, telling that Tumult is bad just because you dislike their style is kinda wrong IMO.

2)You have to listen to this album under the right circumstances. Listening Tumult in a morning while drinking your coffee is not the best way to understand this kind of music. Go for a walk in a forest at midnight time and you'll realise why Derango is such a hell of a group.

3)Give yourself time to understand this album. Even myself, a great Derango fan didn't blown away the first time I listened to it. Although I hate this phrase I'm gonna say it ''Let it grow in you''.

9/10 cause I wanted more melodic lines like the ones in Sluggy or No Thing.

AMAZING!!!!!

379717[/snapback]

1) Not true. I like melodic tracks and I still like Derango

2) True

3) True

I wanted more melodic lines too... like the ones in Slugy and Puro - Derango Tango...

At the moment I give this album 6.5/10, but it might change cause I havent fully 'got' it yet.

comn m8, you compare this with Derango

Shift is just SouthAfrica candy-rave full-on[not dark imo], Derango is 10x psychedelic

I don't compare Shift's style with Derango's.

I said that Tumult is the best DARK album of 2005 and second best album (generally) after Excession. As for the ''candy-rave-full on'' I guess you haven't listen to Cerebral Cortex yet.

I like melodic tracks and I still like Derango

Me too. What I said was: ''I you like ONLY melodic Psy, you can't judge fairly Tumult'' ;)

I saw shift last weekend and he definately does not make candy rave tunes.

I don't like excessions either, but his live act is killer.

His style is more hard than dark, but it's definately night music

and he always rips the place apart.

Artifakt is also doing some crazy dark-ish tunes..

check out Nosferatu on Timecode - The Turning and any

of his recent shit. He's doing a lot over here in SA and

I think he's got a únique style..

Derango are making a different style of music.

It's DARK and crazy, maybe a bit too dark and crazy for most parties...

but definately wicked