Derango – TuMuLT

DeathPosture

well if it makes you so uncomfortable to listen to it, why do you listen to it?

When some of my friends practically shove it down my throat? :rolleyes:

But Derango has presented something new. If you cant hear that maybe you should (Seriously) get your hearing checked. If "stupid" sound fx get so on your nerves what are you doing listening to psytrance? I could say that theres pretty much NO psytrance which is actually psychedelic, that has no sound fx.

This one will be forever in my heart! Lovely, strange, and (unless you have hearing deficiencies) wierdly melodic.

Look I'm not saying there are no tuned notes, no leads AT ALL on this album. But 95% of it seems to be - again - pounding 4/4 kick, full-on bassline and crazy sound effects. And THAT'S ALL. Now, I'm listening to Transwave - Backfire at the moment. THIS I enjoy very much: melodies everywhere, and a lot of them very memorable. Lots of great arps, 303s, leads etc. Some cool sound effects used SPARINGLY - often during the crescendos and breakdowns. This is the kind of trance that I really REALLY enjoy. THIS is the reason why, when I attempt to listen to dark/forest stuff like Derango, I'm utterly nonplussed. It is the antithesis of what I look for in trance music, and I find it impossible to enjoy.

Hey, I'm allowed an opinion, right? :P Dark psy is overrated. It sounds "cool" played loud but is generally soulless and lacking any depth. The only dark trance I've heard that's worth a damn is Cybernetika.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some ppl don't like melodies and think transwave is über cheezy eurotrance .... others even like house music ... but telling something is rubbish because it doesn't match your taste is the most stupid thing one can do while reviewing music .....

This is the kind of trance that I really REALLY enjoy. THIS is the reason why, when I attempt to listen to dark/forest stuff like Derango, I'm utterly nonplussed.

I enjoy both oldschool psy/goa trance (huge fan , in fact) but also some of the newer dark/forest psy.

And yes I find Derango to be ultimately psychedelic. You just don't get this music, fine. No problem. I can see it's quite complex, intilligent & trippy. And not only when I'm stoned. ;)

some ppl don't like melodies and think transwave is über cheezy eurotrance .... others even like house music ... but telling something is rubbish because it doesn't match your taste is the most stupid thing one can do while reviewing music .....

So true!!! and usually it stems from ignorance when people do that! (or at least I think it does!)

I enjoy both oldschool psy/goa trance (huge fan , in fact) but also some of the newer dark/forest psy.

And yes I find Derango to be ultimately psychedelic. You just don't get this music, fine. No problem. I can see it's quite complex, intilligent & trippy. And not only when I'm stoned. ;)

Well it always help beeing stoned no matter what kind of music I listen too.... but if I need to get stoned I would'nt borther :P

But Im with u on what ur saying! :D

some ppl don't like melodies and think transwave is über cheezy eurotrance

Skazi, surely? :lol:

I can see it's quite complex, intilligent & trippy.

My argument is that, even if Tumult sounds complex and trippy, it's due to all the crazy sound effects and NOT due to any melodic content. I don't mind these effects in trance, hell Hallucinogen used them and vocal samples quite a lot, but not when it becomes the focus of the music, which is clearly the case with Tumult. Perhaps as darkpsy goes, Tumult is a "good example". If so, me and darkpsy as a genre will just have to learn to live without each other! :rolleyes:

Skazi, surely? :lol:

My argument is that, even if Tumult sounds complex and trippy, it's due to all the crazy sound effects and NOT due to any melodic content. I don't mind these effects in trance, hell Hallucinogen used them and vocal samples quite a lot, but not when it becomes the focus of the music, which is clearly the case with Tumult. Perhaps as darkpsy goes, Tumult is a "good example". If so, me and darkpsy as a genre will just have to learn to live without each other! :rolleyes:

Dude, it's just a different style of music. Yes the focus is not on the melodies. Yes Derango have put lots of work in the effects and they play a big role in the atmospheres they make. Yes,being melodic is not Derango's priority (although they are not totally a-melodic either ). So it's perfectly fine for me to say you don't like it, but not that it's rubbish or talentless.

This is the greatest album of 2005. Next to Terminator 'Spirit of the Plants'. Why would anyone HATE it. Very deep, intelligent, organic music. Derango have been my favourite producers for a few years. The first track I heard was 'No Thing' on Orebro Freakfactory 3. It's still probably one of my top Derango tracks :P

I always think, when someone is saying how stupid or lame another is for liking certain music, that I am the only one who gets to tell me what I do and don't like.

If you dont liek it, COOL! Go find something you DO like.

I like Derango. Im not an idiot. And I can hear melodic elements in their music.

• 9 months later...

If you don't like this "intelligent" music then "you need your hearing checked", or your simply an "idiot". Sounds pretty pretentious to me. We are all allowed our own tastes in music, but apparently, only some peoples tastes are "intelligent". I can validate and argue the artistic merits of any piece of music really, it is a non-issue, so arguing that his music is intelligent is really not very intelligent at all. You can argue it is well thought out, or well composed, but don't try and tell people who (rightly) don't like it that it is not the musics fault, but theres because they are, apparently, not good enough and simply "don't understand" it.

As for the music:

I really like the use of samples, fantastic, perfect.

As for the tired matter of the basslines, I don't care if it is new or not (it isn't new), hardly a grounds to critisise this music, this is trance after all. Can't expect too much originality in the area of basslines.

The sound effects are the worst and best part of this album. The best because they provides the driving force behind the album. The worst because there is nothing else driving this album, its all in the glitchy noises. Hallucinogen did glitchy noises too, alot more sparingly of course, I think the result is better with Hallucinogen (unfair to compare Derango to Hallucinogen, I know), but it happens all the time with music, people take a particular aspect of a piece music and punctuate it to create a more focused sound (i'm not saying Derango is copying Hallucinogen so spare me your flames).

Yeah and it does need a bit of time to grow on you, but every psy/goa release is like that for me, with the exception of Etnica and Asura. The music needs to develope character in your mind unless it is dripping with character already.

Great music in certain situations, like late at night, when you want something a bit more hypnotic than melodic. But best use of all is to subject your friends to this stuff, putting Tamult on in the car with my friends stuck inside on a long trip is hilarious, I could swear their ears near the point of combustion, especially if your friends aren't used to electronic music. Metalheads may like it though.

I think it is overrated but good, I think I get it, but the idea behind it doesn't entirely appeal to me so often, sometimes it really does and I digg it alot, but that isn't very often and it hasn't rocked my world.

I would give a 7 based on musicality alone, but I will give an 8.5 because I think this music is very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

words are not enough to describe the complexity and intensity of this album

The sounds are just unreal, and the trippy factor is just rediculous

no knob was left unturned on the synthesizer when this was put together

Whats cool about this is if you listen to this outside all the noises that are around you dont detract from the listening experience

but rather get tangled up in this mesh of noise

I'm having a hard time remembering words, this CD is a minf*** and it gets darker twords the second half

easy 10 out of 10

• 9 months later...

All channels open - the last three minutes feels like the world is going to come to an end!!!!

If the aliens ever do end up coming to drop off some of their music and ask for something in return this one should be on top of the list .

• 3 months later...

DERANGO - TUMULT

INPSYDE MEDIA

Posted Image

Track list:

01. 08’40” Deranged

02. 07’50” Confusion Is Next

03. 08’10” Made Out Of Vapour

04. 07’43” Masterdamnit

05. 10’51” All Channels Open

06. 09’58” The Poisonous Square

07. 06’37” Lost Theory

08. 07’54” Fnatt

09. 08’38” We Are All Mad Here (Rmx)

Tumult is one of the most interesting and talked about Psytrance releases. Previously I had been focusing on what I felt was missing, not so much on the accomplishments here, what Derango pulled off extremely well. I still feel that if they put half as much time and work into aggressive, strong and catchy melody leads, that this would be one of the most amazing and "top favorite" albums ever produced (to me and various others). But what the artists did here is no doubt technically skilled, ambitious, and innovative. It's definitely one of the most psychedelic album's I've ever heard. So psychedelic actually that it appears to be a technical achievement in being psychedelic over all else. Add the plethora of altered Psy sounds to the atmosphere and sound variety in each track. This is an impressive album. I suppose due to the heavy focus on twisted psy effects, due to the album having a ton of arguably melodic moments projected by "altered sounds" at times that appear to be creating a paragraph of melodies (more like a twisted staircase of sounds), I found myself disappointed years back. I was expecting something more along the lines of Hallucinogen and/or Menis in the sense that strong psychedelic work would compliment melody leads/paragraphs around crazy sound designs. As with Penta's Horn Please album, sound paragraphs filled with sounds and various melodic elements, gritty textures and atmosphere come and go. Though very few tracks have moments where my mind goes back and plays them; in other words, tunes aren't stuck in my head for days. naturally, it would be amazing if what the general person considers infectious melody rhythms was invested in a follow up also loaded with going nuts in the sound department as this one does (innovations). Tumult is an overload in sound production and psychedelics. It's an example of a definitive "Psychedelic Trance" album whether one likes it or not.

Parts that seem to tell a story (more clearly to me, parts that evoke feelings, provoke thoughts that I enjoy) are in the opening (from roughly 1:30 to 2:15). Also in track 3, 4, 6, one or two others, and especially the very end of the final track -- listen to how effective that part is). More of these two elements is what I miss here: emotion (sadness, anger to the wild tone, darkness), and development of what the general person considers melodies. I have a song by Derango called Time Trap from the ultra-dark/Evil There Is No Tomorrow compilation (my review in the 2004 section). Just listen to the melody-esque sound work in Derango's Time Trap from 2:18 to 2:42. It played notes are somewhat consistent and gripping for a short time, before the song goes back to crazy/insane mixing psychedelics around the beat and bass line. So it's these gothic tunes in a sense that I (and various others) find invigorating at times. They create a hook amongst the ceaseless craziness that can be ridiculously infectious and driving (and more dance friendly IMO) to the awesome work around it. The also create a focus however and maybe Derango wanted the listener to focus on the world of sounds created more than melody leads which often attract the spot light from surrounding work. However when an album capitalizes on both, believe me, it's beyond amazing. As with Hallucinogen - Twisted, we hear all of it, and become more present with all the other work the more we hear/explore the album.

01. Deranged is an intriguing chapter, in part because this is here the listener will first hear the novel, overloaded and bubbling/intricate and heavily psychedelic style of Derango on Tumult. Moving paragraph walls of dripping acid and twisted/distorted melodic and/or sound effects mix over moving shapes, smaller paragraphs and sentences of vivid texture and deliciously psychotic imagery. There is something chilling, unfriendy but ultimately comfortable and gripping about this opening track. One of my favorite part is from 1:30 to 2:15 but I have several. Overall this is a track that seems to create tone and evoke feelings, albeit deranged ones at times, and I like that. I think some people haven't given this song enough credit because it's less intense. Personally I find it one of the best, most satisfying here. It's simply less energetic; there's something surreal about its less fast and zippy structure. Excellent track. A-

02. Confusion Is Next, an uncompromising, driving, and relentless art of Psytrance on photo-tropics and various other stimulants. The dark and driving beat is great, but the rhythms here, cutting through bleek and moving atmosphere filled with squeaky insects and tasty fire flies is strong. The tempo change up around halfway through is well articulated too, as the character becomes more confused, self-haunted, disturbed as the song continues. Such behavior appears relevant around the 6:00 mark where, be it darkly humorous or not, it appears like some form self-crisis, psychosis (disorder) is taking place. I really like this one, though it took years for me to "get" into. Excellent work. A-

03. Made Out Of Vapour takes off out the gate early on. Coupled with buzzing, highway driving sound effects, the comprised and developing Psy work continuously grows, mutates, and spreads like an infection. Distorted cords become sounds taking us deeper down the dangerous path filled wit obstacles. Around 3:00 to 3:25 is GREAT, and a perfect example of what I consider distorted MELODIES (to some degree) in dark Psytrance. That is what I've been trying to communicate for years (though I stopped, gave up two years ago until now) in this thread. It's the hook that I love around the chaos, the lead (however crazy it is) that gives me some sense of YES (!), this excites adrenaline. The song however quickly returns to its world filled with psychedelic creates, without a running/clorful lion or tiger in sight. After going through some interesting sound-ladden passages, two segments take place that arrest my attention. One is from 4:17 to 4:45 (sounds like a haunted car swerving from lane to lane down a dark highway), chilling stuff. The second follows closely behind, from 4:50 to 6:14, a distorted, various-note played tune of sorts. Fortunately, a third (and one of the best) arrives from around 7:00 to 7:50. Now all three of these parts can be argued at being melodies, but they create stand out sound work that draws me deeper into Derango's deep forest of darkness, mystery and energy. These segments evoke feeling, at least to me. They're unique and catchy, especially around all of the crazy head scattered noise and buzzing bumble bees. A-

04. Masterdamnit is an even rougher song, loaded with psychedelics. The first tunes (to any sense) I notice are in the first minute, and around 2:40. These parts a short, flying by like moving insects as the vehicle goes through heavy, constantly changing chaos and particles. The crunchy foundation texture is strong, albeit repetitive, it works in a BotFB type way, creating a hypnotic vibe with the rest of the broth. The tempo change sup around 4:40, the foundation or floor drops out to compensate for an entirely new section of the same evolving maze or world. The following section, however filled with alien backdrops and atmosphere sounds almost crazy just for the sake of being crazy at times. Without a groove or some form of tune, I am lost in a jungle filled with interesting sounds but for me, uncertainty. It's all interesting but the crunchy foundation and distorted tune work earlier on I find far more gripping in this song. The skipping scream followed by the record sound towards the end though it good, but these small details don't replace the sense of being lost in a song that maybe intended never to be found or rather made sense of. Great "psychedelic" work, but this is one of my least favorites here. B+

05. All Channels Open starts out more congruent than the previous number, with a bass line (or pads) pattern that breaks up as the song progresses. A growing sound that joins a tune of sorts around 4:00 -- oh wait it's gone. But something else, beginning around 4:08 sounds like a tripping melody, a lead to some degree. My attention is grabbed by this thing that soon vanishes into the industrial/metal and atmospheric underworld of clanks, screams, pops, bubbles, and ten-thousand-plus other locations in this abyss-of-craziness world. Back to building up the track we go, after a gothic (ghost chorus with hardly a chorus?), evocative interlude. The song rages on with buzzing sounds, but the beat and bass line change ups strengthen its feet were the previous song faltered IMO. The sounds remain crisp, fresh, and deadly straight into the final third. Overall this appears to be one of the more catchy "psychedelic-sound-wise" songs on the album. It gets pretty heavy and developed, stomping too in its final, layered third, creating a strange/climactic or higher energy feel. While this (these) aren't exactly my favorite style in Psytrance work, I can see why others would like/love it. Crazy, well done track. A-

06. The Poisonous Square is my favorite track on the album. It begins with an extremely catchy and curious voice sample, regarding an object being observed in a room, appearing like a perfect square that turns out to be something entirely different, something very bad. This introduction fronts (begins) the bubbly beginning of the next chapter, story that takes off around 2:30 into a blazing and super driving DISTORTED melody lead that I have accessed by memory sine this album released in 2005. I am grabbed, completely hooked by the 30 second sound lead from 2:30 to 2:55 in the song. It's awesome, to me at least an especially after hearing all else before it and anticipating a form of unexpected infection, a take off moment of flavor and surprise. Although that wild hook never returns, the song remains strong, fierce, and gripping from beginning to end. But that sound really elevated the energy and enhanced the track. Nonetheless, the second third of this song is fucking awesome: An high octane, delicious, and uncompromising ball of psychedelic and driving fire. Although this section ends at 6:35, it lasts minutes(!!!), then evolves; the song takes off again again, from 7:35 to 8:05. And then it returns again and gets even more crazy/psychedelic. Add in atmosphere and raging effects. WOW!!!! If Derango made more songs like these they would produce what I consider one of the most amazing albums of all time. I have been impressed by this song since 2005. It's gripping, intense, and catchy from beginning to end. SUPERB TRACK. A

07. Lost Theory is a step down from pervious numbers. It's still a good track, very psychedelic and a bit more random but with less (intensity, ferocity). The song seems to finally come together around 4:35, though by 4:00 we're back to Derango's vivid and sound-heavy atmosphere. The ideas have been done, and done better on previous tracks. Yet this comes up with a handful of its own psychedelic moments. I simply find its sound work and the overall song direction less gripping. Around the five-minute mark however, the last fourth of the 6:40 second song hits a nice, driving beat and rhythm. That is, before returning to its recycled or less refreshing self around 6:00. IMO this isn't bad but the weakest, arguably least powerful tracks on the album. It's pretty good I suppose (especially if you love the style here), nothing spectacular. B

08. Fnatt has more going on; it's more interesting (eventful) and stronger (sounds, change ups) than the previous number IMO. A part or two of the last third becomes even more distorted than previous acts. Rarely what I consider a melody or several note tune that leads I can hear. This is a solid, hard, and crunching number, though so far the album's greatest work (parts that impressed me most) have past. I generally don't care for this track, but I'm trying to look at it for what it is (compared to other songs on the same album). Cool track. B+

09. We Are All Mad Here (Rmx) -- get this, I find far more catchy and gripping than both numbers that came before it. This to me is a return to stronger melodic elements scattered throughout the hard, edgy and stomping psychedelic, and mad-running horse. An interlude takes place in the center that lasts longer than I can remember previous interludes lasted on the album. It's soon followed by stylish TRIBAL-SOUNDING drum work around the beat. It's a great moment, especially for outdoor forest parties. Wow, I wish there was more of this on the album. What continues is stomping; the tempo changes up around 6:10 around a strange voice sample. The tempo then changes again. I like this track because it appears less all-over-the-place in its story telling and direction. There is a strong, provocative (and evocative) part, the final minute of this song that clearly shows that Derango has far more skilled and creative than Tumult alone. The final minute here is a great part that, along with various other elements, could potentially contribute to an amazing, more varied, interesting, musical, and multi-dimensional masterpiece. Strong track. A-

In conclusion, each song in Tumult is loaded with so many sounds around the strong beat, bass line, pads, (and more); each song is so PSYCHEDELIC (over all else) that it's no wonder this album became so popular, such a cult hit. I often find myself returning each year, exploring it, journeying deeper into its intangible layers of raw sound designs. Tumult seems more or less different from how remember it: more evolved, bizarre, crazy, abstract; I become more conscious of more in and of it. This may be due,in part to the non-linear song directions as well as the abundance of mixing, sounds. The whole album is like one crazy "Psytrance" head trip down David Lynch's Lost Highway. It's a wild ride that never answers any questions, yet it's filled with so many crazy events and elements that it's hard not to notice and admire. In that sense, I admire and more or less (via the track) enjoy Tumult. It is not one of my all time favorites (not now anyway). But I can see what it is for many people. Without question; I've at least gotten that answer from hearing this.

I wonder if these artists are working on a new album. It's been years. :unsure:

Favorite tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6(!!!), 9.

A-

Samples / order

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/c4yjd

Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/bf5e4

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Amazing stuff, not for first timers, hard hitting, smart, evolving, exactly

how psychedelic trance needs to be.

Been listening to this since day one and i still find worlds and layers i have yet to touch.

BTW, this is still available on phsycal format for all you late bloomers here :

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.aspx?id=2100