Khetzal - Corolle

goababa

Well, I'm still using the point of reference to Filteria for the reasons mentioned above... I'm not saying these tracks would mix well am I? I'm pointing out, that these are both nu-school goa tracks released by Suntrip Records... And yeah, on that track I used the above mentioned point of reference: If you'd add some layers + a couple of climaxes - and then strip the Eastern influences you'd be pretty close to the sound of Filteria... Hope you catch my drift here?

/DP

comparing khetzal with filteria :blink: , pretty close to the filteria sound... mmmmmm ... I know what you mean... in a certain point if you take it objecitve the chose of sound is can be a bit similar but the way khetzal uses the sounds is so the opposite of filteria, so more subtle, so more the typical crying goatrance sounds from back in the days... uplifting but not having the intention to be uplifing....

still, the quality of the review is not that good sorry... being honest... don't compare so much with a release that is so unique....

I think we need a better a review of this superrelease... If have the time (not suggesting mine is going to be better but it'll be more detailed that's for sure)....

I have to write it in dutch first and if purple sun wants to translate it...

we'll see....

I think if deathposture made this comparison in 1997 we would laugh at it, but now we do not have a lot of goa coming out. We did have a lot of variety in goa just like in psy nowadays but its not there anymore.

I mean we wouldnt compare Pleiadians with Astral as they were different ends, actually filteria and khetzal are as different as the above example but we do not have stuff coming out. So as there are just a few releases which are goa in the year 2005 they had a reference point, more then musically I think its chronologically. Still in a music review I think context is also important, so Postures review works ok :) together with the things mentioned later, This is why we have a forum, you can add up and talk about the album from different perspectives. Thanks to all of you and peace :)

By the way the album is one good goa story that makes you wanna dance at the sundawn on the sands of goa (10 years ago;) )

well i wrote a review on psychedelic.be in dutch so if you can give me a translator i will post it here :)..

Don't compare this to Filteria guys, it is pretty opposite goa trance.. Filteria is all about climax, power and fast waves, Khetzal is all about sphere and indian mystique style.. only thing they have in common is that they both are very melodic, but i think Khetzal has way better melodies than filteria.. Filteria goes over the top with its waves sometimes (especially in Sky Input) and Khetzal is mayb a bit too Hindu influenced, but i liked it (I like Filteria a lot too btw).. Up to you what you think is the best.. i would give Corrolle a 10/10 and Sky Input 9/10

Oh....my...god! The samples of this album at Saikosounds have tripped me out.

This sounds like the Goa trance I've always dreamed of finding.....that dreamy, uplifting Eastern influenced sound that wraps around you in layers and carries you away to mystical places.

I can't wait to get my hands on this little work of music.

on request of anoebis, here ya go my friend ;)

SUNTRIP RECORDS

Khetzal: Corolle

Posted Image

1. Listening Winds

2. Anamatha (rmx)

3. Bells of Sarnath

4. Narayana

5. Ganesha Pramana

6. Indian Attic

7. Djaningar

8. Nyiragongo

9. Avasari

Damn it’s cold… it’s raining, cloudy, I’m starting to realize winter is entering Belgium, although I’m not a complainer the first cold means no more open air festivals, no more the touch of the sun on my back… forget about it go on… I had a meeting with anoebis @ his place to get the new khetzal cd… It’s only 10 minutes cycling so but still I’m tired from working all day… The rain slaps into my face and the cold breaks my bones but I arrive safely… It was a short meeting he give me some khetzal cd’s, I was tired, wanted to go home, we talk a bit , it was nice back on the bike, still lousy weather and back to home… Entering my house I throw all my whet clothes away and placed the plastic back on the desk… I’m tired, not feeling super good but still hear anoebis whispering in my mind, koen I know you didn’t like filteria although you’re oldskool goatrance fan but THIS on I promise you will like, a smile on my face appears and I think (LOL I hope it does or I’ll burn a car in front of his house LOL, kidding off course, gotta go with the vibe you know everybody is doing all over the word why shouldn’t I LOL)… I open the plastic bag and notice KHETZAL, nice front, great colours, psychedelic but more art, certainly not overloaded…. It’s time to pull of the job and review the cd…. I make a huge can of coffee to stay awake enter my basement and put on pc and sound system… I put khetzal in my pc and like an airplane it zoooooofs into my winamp trying to search on his database with cd this is… sorry winamp this is not britney spears… TRACK ONE appears on my display… the first thing I hear are some nature sounds a smoothly waves… FACK I realise… I’m not in the mood… I’m tired, the coffee isn’t working yét, the bad weather trip made a bit dejected… but I’m not giving up… let’s warm up… it’s 11 o’ clock in the evening I have all night… Lish pops into my mind… some emotional subtle progressive will be good to start with to create a build up into a further more melodic trance concept… suddenly it’s 3 o’ clock at night… I listened a bunch of cd ’s but I’m awake as hell, ready to enter zone… ready for KHETZAL !

Listening winds is a pure intro song… khetzal is showing me nothing… the only thing I know is the what kind of atmosphere this cd will contain… I hear little waves, a doff baselines, some nature sounds… I’m curious… where is this trip going to end… the atmosphere is great… this the kind of atmosphere we used to know that artist used back in the days, chi-ad, mystica pops into my mind… I’m starting to smile… this is just the beginning track 2 is starting….

Anamatha (rmx) start with a very super mystique opening intro, Indian women singing on the back ground, a big gong… stars floating all over… with little drums khetzal is announcing his track and the baselines appears… doff but not fast… khetzal keeps is still slow but faster then the first song off course… lot’s of sounds are used at the same time but still this doesn’t sound overload at all, even the opposite… this is pure subtle floating on little waves and a tiny acid sound going up and down at the background that start to speak… this enters my mind, speaking sounds are my thing… it becomes a wave for like 3 seconds and disappears again… khetzal is playing with me and that is what I like… the track is filled with nature sounds and very mystique psychedelic sounds… I’m continue searching for waves but khetzal is not giving me what I want… he wants me to wait… at the end a little tiny wave crosses my speakers and sounds very good… mmmmmmmm, if he is going to use that sound in full climaxes damn… I’m going to freak out… non direct satisfaction is the main mark here and that is what I want in trance… khetzal tells me a story by using trance and is just starting, whispering don’t mind, you will get your satisfaction… just enjoy the ‘the need’ right now…

Bells of Sarnath enters with speaking crystal clear sound… a little wave, no it’s gone, another one, gone again, 3 waves no and already gone BAM, the baselines enters full speed ahead… khetzal is now showing me what his capacitates are…the waves are still in the background but go perfectly along with the baseline… the atmosphere is still mystique and the same…and yés yés the waves are going up en down playing with my mind, this is goatrance like I first heard in 1998…. Lower, higher, lower, higher higher higher, low… this is motivating trance and perfect for on the dance floor… together with the waves I’m still hearing little fluids and other psychedelic sounds who create one big concept of ‘into trance’… the track goes further and further but the waves stay subtle… this is not a climax, this is just a pure continue of psychedelic consciousness…. It’s not overloaded at all… one thing is sure… khetzal keeps you busy every second… you don’t get bored a minute… he draws your attention to a sound every time… the track doesn’t end suddenly both floats away in peace

Narayana keeps that concept telling a story by using trance great and a bigger wave enters, a bit macho but still humble… not to fast but he’s there !… he speaks to me with his little friend another wave and together they make me smile… khetzal you bastard ! (kidding)… the baseline is slower comparing to the previous song…. The waves goes to the background and a sudden stop break and announces a different baselines… harder, deeper, more cave style… the wave is still there but he’s not that macho at all, suddenly he became very smooth and friendly… a lot of different sound are flying through my B&W speakers but there no main sound, there’s a concept… but I knew he wasn’t going to let me down after Bells of Sarnath, a pure acid sound arrives, a massive double tick of the baseline and we are back on track… speaking waves and sound together playing and teasing my soul… still no big climaxes… this is just surfing on the waves, enjoying, feeling… emotional but not to emotional… not cheesy at all… khetzal balances… he got nerves and gives me the feeling that he perfectly knows what he is doing…

Ganesha Pramana starts with that gong again… psychedelic performed off course… the baseline is extremely fast, motivating and uplifting… this is dance floor style and perfect to play when the sun rises on an open air festival… the waves and psychedelic sounds are flying at high speed all way around… I’m very curious how this track is going to end… what a start, what a beginning… and yés we go faster and more melodic going up and down with that typical sound he created… waves are attacking me in positive way and I feel aroused… with a subtle fluid khetzal gives me a break but not for long… the rest is only a period of time… his typical acid minded sound is coming back from the background and BAM back to track… the track end is full melodic playing sounds and just the way I like it… the first time khetzal actually uses a climax at the end… a perfect crystal clear wave… I’m impressed… is this released in 2005 ????

Indian Attic contains in the beginning little insect crawling on my wall together with a sort of Celtic fluid, the baseline is again slower then the previous faster ones I heard before but still doff like we used to know them back in the days J… the advancement is very chill… no rush, smooth… more emotional tinted that’s for sure…. A sudden change appears when I hear that Celtic fluid again… what’s coming next ??? the baseline isn’t straight ! but that wave is getting stronger and BAM a full wave crossed my mind and I’m into trance big time… although I’m in a basement and it’s dark the sun is shining… the finishing is again so smooth and subtle I can’t wait for the next track to come…

Djaningar ! I’m hearing the sea, I’m hearing Indian women crystal clear crying on the background, the baseline enters again not to fast, subtle but less doff then the other more ticking… the advancement is very emotional and very finished… this goes to the mind straight to the heart… khetzal touches you with that sound. The track becomes more melodic and more waves but still keeps that touching feeling in it… khetzal succeeded with his intention…

Nyiragongo is the most heavy baselines of all… this is tuff, stamping on the floor… a bit dark tinted to be khetzal off course… he’s very careful with his sounds right now… there all on the background… suddenly the baseline changes to his original ones before doff but the same bpm… the baseline is the main mark right now what we are not used of him… a sudden stop again…. What are you trying khetzal ??? wooooooooooooooooooow a big wave appears, stops and there we go again… play with my mind you freak (kidding)… there’s no real climax at the end again a continue of psychedelic consciousness…

Avasari start with water dripping from a rock and is an ambient song… well I don’t write mostly many things about the ambient songs… he just uses his typical sounds but in ambient concept… very slow and very subtle but great…

Conclusion… Anoebis is right LOL, no burning cars at front of his house this week LOL, khetzal did something that old skool goatrance lovers missed a long time… telling a story by using trance, nature Indian atmosphere… not trying to be the hardest, fastest or most melodic but just creating intelligent trance… Khetzal created an unique release with an unique sound… some things are off course done before back in the days but I admit what he did with goatrance formula is perfect…

thank you suntrip records, khetzal, anoebis, mars, this is what I want and I will embrace it…

its a great album, i love it... really

i just want to crawl in my fantasy, its happy, melodic, frisking just the way i like it ... thank you :D

close your eyes and your in it

btw, great review rain :)

Love this cd! All suntrip releases so far have been great, at the moment i like this most of them all, that means it's brilliant..!! Have only listened twice through the album, but so far one of the best releases this year! I should not say more.. maybe when i have listened to it more. As with Shpongle 3 i started to write some review after listening to it like once, saying it is perfect and random shit like that! :) I still like it, but now i would not have said nearly the same about it.

Anyway this cd rocks! Nice melodies. Im so glad someone still makes them. Most of artists seems to think it's a crime to put some melodies inside their tracks. Or then there is this one Killlar melody, but first you gotta listen to the bassline for 7.30 minutes to hear the 20-seconds of a great melody! Argh! But that's not the case with this release. :P

Brilliant album to lighten any evening in this dark time of year  :)

377799[/snapback]

Absolutely!

Niiiiiiiiice!

My review taked from Isratrance:

Wow!!!

I was anxious to get my copy and have a listening at Khetzal's music which is for me one of the rarest person in this world who survived the Millenium bugz intact!!

haha!

We need more musicians like that, pure mindly intentioned and only thinking to give a ray of light to his listeners and much more to the party people dancing on his music!

I discovered him in early '2000 (thanx to a very simple post on Psynews.org forum)which talked about an mp3 free site presenting Khetzal.

I downloaded his availaible demo songs and I was under the charm of his music since then.

On this album you'll find many trax composed some years ago, but the production is top-notch and the mastering by Mr Tim Shuldt is perfect.

Its an unique cd, a collector as Khetzal's music now evolved in another way (still nice, thought!)

I did the cover, so my only comment will be that I thank very much Mr Matthieu Chamoux (Khetzal) and Suntrip Recs. for having me letting directed and made it using designs made by Khetzal himself and me (the corolle and the bird).

The freshest cover I did in my life, I'm very happy, it perfectly matches the music.

Printer still don't accept .psd's ...too bad as it should appear clearest and crisp once printed properly.

About the music now: a blast! a must for Goa lovers, remembering when it was time to get 'whatever positive' while dancing arms high in the air, mind opened 360* to the light and only thinking about a bright future!..

'Anamatha' was a dedication to that, thank you for this excellent Trancy-Goa remix, you rockxxxxxxxx big time!!!!

The trax are flowing nicely even if the bpm's are not following the usual way.

I'm kind of depressed these days when looking at the whole world, but today my spirit is filled with very nice beats and my old days are coming up along superb feelings.

Thank you Matthieu for all this wonderful time and now keep rockin' the dancefloors with Gregory and your Avigmatic projects!!

Cheers =)

Gabriel/Astral Waves/Dj Zen

- When we heal the land, we heal ourselves! -

www.digitalystudios.com

www.sunlinerecords.com

Read my review of it here

Extracts:

a kickass acid line, and as we know, acid makes everything better - and it's definetely well done! It slides, skips and generally makes your face melt off

I thought the previous track was thumping and dance-friendly - wrong! This track overshadows it by far and the bassline is one of the best ever.

Overall it feels like a light version of Djaningar, not having either the awesome melodies or perfect groove of it. Near the middle the track shifts into a weird tempo, and completely loses me. At places the melodies sound almost childish.

Without a doubt a stellar realease from the outstanding SunTrip crew. A contender for album of the year, this album brings back beautiful memories of mushroom trips into outer space in '97; the good ole days, when artists were pouring their hearts and souls into the music. This is ESSENTIAL. period.

Final Verdict: 9/10 B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well... It's good but not that great as I excepted to be. I don't think it's very uplifting. I'd call it more trippy and smooth Goa than uplifting. I don't like this ''too much eastern'' feeling in it and I think the melodies are a bit simple. The best track is by far Avasari an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ambient, one of the best I ever heard ! From the dance tracks I prefer Ganesha Pramana (the only real stomper of this album) Nyiragongo. It's a very good album but just like Ethereal is too ''floating'', without climaxes, build-up's or ecsatic melodies. 7/10

Ok, I have to say something about the Avasari track. I wrote that it's amazing, but I lied. It's not just amazing, it's in unbelievable! I listened to it 17 times in a row! Definately one of the best ambient tracks ever heard in my life. Beatifully melancholic, nostalgic, trippy and emotional. Only for this track I have to raise my rating for the album to 8/10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

KHETZAL - COROLLE
SUNTRIP RECORDS

sut1cd003.jpg

1. LISTENING WINDS
2. ANAMATHA (REMIX)
3. BELLS OF SARATH
4. NARAYANA
5. GANESHA PRAMANA
6. INDIAN ATTIC
7. DJANINGAR
8. NYIRAGONGO
9. AVASARI

Lets be realistic. There weren't many Goa albums released in 2005. There was the Apsara compilation from the same fantastic label and that's about it. The two are difficult to compare because it isn't two artists competing. They're both great for what they are. Both have similar sounds used in different styles, different songs. Both are impressive gems, which include a handful of the best songs I've heard in 2005 and in years. It's ironic that Khetzals song on the Apsara compilation was the one I enjoyed least. Khetzal is the modern sound of what real Eastern-Influenced Goa used to be. Why call it Eastern-Influenced? Well, that's what words most of us have always associated to goatrance albums like these. These being Goa albums that, for starters, are "up-lifting, beautiful, lush and melody-driven, fast, psychedelic, floating, ethnic and world influenced, dreamy, arresting, and filled with texture and depth."

History and Corolle

Corolle explores the realm of light, similar in spiritual essence to Astral Projection, RA, D5, California Sunshine, Electric Universe, and more. On the other hand, bands that explored the dark include: Battle of Future Buddha, Xenomorph, Sandman, and Darshan. There was also bands inspired by both light and dark combined, such as Pleiadians. Corolle is the most known (Eastern/Indian influence) in Goa-Trance, and it's more earthy and nature-esque than most other groups in the genre. The album appears influenced by both spirituality and the Triplicities. The Triplicities are the four Elements: Earth, Fire, Air, and Water. Khetzal in essence, is influenced by consciousness, spirit, love, and light. The artist has taken a classic, beloved sound from the magic days [96-98] and creatively, passionately brings it to life in the 21st century with wonderful results.

1. Listening Winds is beautiful and magical. The melodies are warm and gentle, floating and touching. This track feels and sounds so accessible and comfortable. It isn't as danceable or fast as the handful of songs that follow which is a good thing because this leads us to the path, to other area's with grace. Listening Winds has character, substance, feeling, and heart. It's a great, uplifting opening song. The melodies are beautiful, catchy, and peaceful. The speed seems just right. Several people seem to think this is a beginning song to the better songs to come. I believe those people are focusing on the dance potential and more animated layers in other songs here over the simple fact that Listening Winds is deep and less animated, more calm and at peace. It's like soothing the body, mind, and soul before a big adventure or experience. This sounds nostalgic and yet new to my ears. It's beautiful. A-

2. Anamatha (Remix) involves wonderful notes of ambient and a strong atmospheric aspect throughout. The beautiful female vocals, not often used on this album, are best used here. They add strong Eastern/Indian influence and character to an already dreamy, more emotional, (with feeling) elegant song. This is a beautiful, excellent track. A

3. Bells of Sarnath is the first track that really picks up speed, bpm. It's also less emotional and deep than the previous tracks. Furthermore, this really is the first real dance song on the album, so it will please the general Goa fan waiting for a more danceable song. Unfortunately I was a bit surprised and disappointed with it. It's faster, sure, but more predictable, repetitive, and more ordinary sounding for what I expect of a great Goa-Trance song. I do like the interlude in the middle at least, and the following sound develops the song's previous, predictable direction. Bells of Sarnat is less complex, involved, and developed than arguably all of the songs on Corolle. It's entertaining and far from masterful IMO. The song has cool melodies and sounds and it does appear to become more catchy as it progresses. It just could have been more imaginative and gripping. I think various people like this song because it packs momentum to dance to, whereas the two previous songs were more gentle. I prefer great songs whereas the album builds up to higher level energy, danceable, and even stronger songs. But this artist has already proven capable of creating better. That said, it's still pretty good! B

4. Narayana is far catchier and engaging than the previous song. The album seems like something is all building up to something powerful with this ethnic-influenced, danceable, and infectious number. Many attractive melodies and sounds take place throughout with several change ups as the number progresses. It's an enjoyable song overall, albeit nothing spectacular. There is a strong, psychedelic aggression and melody (beginning around 4:45) that is unlike every song on the album so far, and it's great, especially when it takes off around 5:08. A-

5. Ganesha Pramana has an interesting intro. The violin melody around 1:55 is very catchy. A flute-like melody around 3:20 adds zest to the layers. The song becomes more interesting when it quiets down, towards the transition in the middle. The *whispering voice* really enhances, adds character to this gental part, especially as the melodies return. The song feels slightly too sped up though. why is that? Other than that, it's more or less great. B+

6. Indian Attic begins gentle, slow, and peaceful. It builds very nicely and basks in peace around 4:10 to 4:25. Around 4:30 is the development to something startling powerful. Suddenly the song takes off around 5:24 like a coaster soaring off the tracks and shooting to the stars. This is a great, excellent dance song. It has many layers and a wonderful climax or boost towards the second half which puts this beauty into overdrive for the rest of the song's duration. Until around 7:27 where things get quiet... until 7:30 where it suddenly returns. A-

7. Djaningar is the most developed super dance song here. It has a plethora of beautiful, lush melodies and sounds. I love when a song captures my attention and becomes increasingly more infectious as it progresses. Respect for locating and mixing a strong amount of carefully selected and infectious sounds. A beautiful lead takes place around 4:22. There is a dazzeling, climactic final-third that elevates the song further. The track takes to the stars and never looks back. Wonderful song! A

8. Nyiragongo is very different from all other tracks. It's less predictable in style and energy. It's slower too. I find Nyiraongo interesting and mysterious. This is very different in character from every song on the album. I like how it's not as uplifting as the others, while being unique, more serious in tone, (somwhat dark? hmmm.. interesting) and catchy. I admire Nyiragongo for its change in style, tone, tempo, sound, and speed. There is not need for any cool tricks, buildup, or climax here after the previous several tracks. In that sense this is refreshing to some degree. It remains appealing throughout. B+

9. Avasari is one of the warmest, dreamy ambient Goa-esque Chill Out songs out there. I don't find the voices as "emotional" or as effective as I did in Anamatha. They're unique and seem heavily Eastern-Indian influenced. One could float away to this. Avarsari is a beautiful number, and an excellent way to end the album. A

CONCLUSION - Khetzal's Corolle is one of the best Goa albums ever released. Every song is good, great, or superb. Track 8 is the only song I find less in sync with the general theme of the album, and I like it, a lot. I'm glad it's here. Listening Winds, Anamatha, Djaningar, and Avasari I find most beautiful and exceptional here, followed by tracks 4, 6, and 8. There are several super-energetic buildup/climax moments; they're fantastic. The introductions, earthy/nature, ambient, and atmosphere elements throughout the album is very well done. The artist goes above and beyond in this department, producing an album in tune with nature, the outdoors, and the wilderness. The melodies are gorgeous for the most part, creating waves of lush sounds, beautifully orchestrated. Although nostalgic and fun to listen to, I found tracks 3 less arresting then the others. Sure it's danceable but lacks zest I feel. The other tracks seem to have more character development, sound variation, and depth. Some people have said Filteria has too much climax and I wouldn't argue that Corolle has too little. As I hear the album more, I'd say it has just enough! Naturally, climax isn't the main goal here. Nonetheless, the few unexpected climaxes is excellent; I would never ask for less, but the same, if not slightly more(?) on a follow up album. It's great how much feeling there is in Corolle too. With this debut, the artist has not so much revived but re-imagined and modernized a beloved Goa element to greatness unlike ever before. Corolle is a gem. It's worth buying and listening to over and over. This is the best album by a main artist from 2005, one of Suntrip Record's best albums, and one of the best goatrance albums ever made [updated 2013] in my opinion. I really enjoyed Filteria - Sky Input and very happy to hear other styles in Goatrance. It's meaningful, very positive! Thank you Khetzal and Suntrip for this wonderful album! Khetzal please make another if/when the day comes that you feel it in your heart.

Favorite tracks: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

A-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4.6/5 = very good (plus a couple inches more towards the divine)

one of the best albums i've ever heard. feeds me with a current of unspeakable joy each time. on the late i've also listened to filteria's sky input album and and it's pretty much as good too. they aren't very much alike, but the essential divine passion that they both awaken in me is the same, i suppose, and that's all that counts. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

indeed one of the best albums of 2005! I haven't heard such beautiful melodies in YEARS! my only issue with the album is that it doesn't really innovate, Khetzal just makes good oldchool as if he was stuck in some timewarp where it's still 1996. Also, sometimes the eastern atmospheres can get a bit too stereotypical, and even quite stupid (ie. that female voice going "Ganeeeeeeshaaaa" at 4:55 of Ganesha Pramana). BUT these are only small complaints on what is otherwise an EXCELLENT album!! Also this is the ONLY newschool album I know of which is more on the dreamy side of things since Dimension 5, as opposed to the "rough crazy" side that most newschool producers made in the last years.

More like this please!!! 9/10

Also this is the ONLY newschool album I know of which is more on the dreamy side of things since Dimension 5, as opposed to the "rough crazy" side that most newschool producers made in the last years.

More like this please!!! 9/10

536906[/snapback]

what about ETHEREAL?